Author Topic: Fluke 117  (Read 5074 times)

Offline IvoSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 117
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:18:01 pm »
Just purchased brand new Fluke 117 multimeter. The display is barely legible, almost impossible to see from straight view. Digits are completely vanishing with even bigger angle. The multimeter doesn't read 2.0mV, it displays 0.0mV instead. It has 0.1mV listed resolution or 0.5%+2. My other multimeter Metex M-3270 reads 2.1mV without problems and it's perfectly stable. When I increased voltage to 4.0mV, the display jumps up and down around 2.5mV like crazy.
Is this supposed to be what the money buy me?  I would call it a crap. I think there are better multimeters than this one for the money, like Metex M-3890D for example, that cost even less. I didn't expect precision for what I paid, I would even accept the crappy display but the milivolt scale pissed me off so the meter is going back to Digikey.
Buyers beware.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Fluke 117
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:26 pm »
It sounds to me that maybe your unit is faulty. I've never seen a Fluke that didn't have a very good display.  If it is new, maybe you can get a replacement free under warranty.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:28:17 pm »
You do run it with fresh batteries, don't you?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »
Oh yes. The multimeter came with battery installed, but I of course swapped it with brand new one just to be sure.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:57 pm »
I am sending it back for a full refund.  This was supposed to be my "work" meter. I still have a few meters I can use. Will have to do some research on reviews to see what is out there before I buy. I know those more expensive Flukes do very well but I just don't feel like spending $300-400 for the meter that can be wrecked, crushed (possibly) or stolen next week at work.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:46:45 pm by IvoS »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:04 pm »
Thanks for the video. I don't think this is the case though. The 117 has all symbols weak, not a specific spot on the display as seen on above video. I like to take things apart but just don't feel like doing it.

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:23 am »
I will join the opinion that this meter is a defective unit.
Maybe during transport was hit or dropped really bad, or exposed to repeated quick heating/cooling cycles.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:53:02 am »
I'm selling a Fluke 117 in excellent  conditions barely used and working fine if you are interested. The reason I'm selling it is because I will get a second Fluke 87 V.

The selling price is $100.00 USD ( Free shipping in the USA)

Please let me know !

David.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:37:44 am »
I don't know, but do the 117 has the same problem with the rubber electric leading material between the PCB and the glass display as 87 and 88 meters?

Ironically, the 87 series meters have a lower IP rating than the 117 (30 and 42 respectively). :-\

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »
Is this supposed to be what the money buy me?  I would call it a crap. I think there are better multimeters than this one for the money, like Metex M-3890D for example, that cost even less.
Buyers beware.

i don't want to start a flame war, and it is unfortunate your meter is delivered broken, but i find this a bit harsh.
Fluke has a excellent track record of making some great gear but like with any item you buy (or make yourself..), sh*t happens.
And frankly i rather have it fail big time the first week than after the warranty has run out :)
And, just wondering, if you think the metex is a better buy , then why the Fluke?
( I own both a (old) metex and a fluke and they are both rather good tools imho)
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf