Author Topic: Fluke 17  (Read 16731 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Fluke 17
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:39:26 pm »
A viewer sent me this interesting link:
http://techno-mind.ru/instrument/prevrashhenie-fluke-15b-v-fluke-17b-i-obzor-onogo.html

I can't speak Russian, but it looks like you can turn the Fluke 15 into the Fluke 17.

Nothing new with Fluke though, the original 75 series meter way back in the early 80's could be turned into a 77 by changing a jumper. It even had the button already there that did nothing!

Dave.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Fluke 17
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:18:04 pm »
Interesting.  This model isn't listed on the US Fluke website.  It doesn't seem to be built with the same robustness.

http://fluke-test.com.au/pr01.htm

http://69.36.166.207/usr_1034/Fluke_15B_17B_Manual.pdf

a single drop?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/fluke-17b-craftsman-81437-dmm-hacking-116632/
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »
It's an asian market model only pioneered by disastrous Fluke 19. Made in China of course.
I might see if I can get my hands on one.

Dave.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:02:07 pm »
The Fluke 17 was sold in the US, as a Sears Craftsman model. (I'll have to wait until I get home to see the model.)

It has a unique red holster, and different colored case, but take it apart, and the board is marked "Fluke 17."

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:21:16 am »
I'm sorry, I didn't read all of saturation's post.   I apologize for posting duplicate info.

Here are some pictures:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:12:55 am by Excavatoree »

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:25:15 am »
Problems I see are the small, ceramic fuse for the low current range.  (I don't believe these are HRC)

Also, this model does the famous Fluke (hidden button) trick.  (I suppose that means it's equivalent to a Fluke 15.  The hidden button trick works on a Fluke 10, also.)

I don't really see that this one is much worse than other Chinese Flukes I've seen.

At least the PCB/Foam Connector/LCD "Sandwich" is held together by screws.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:43:20 am by Excavatoree »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:07:02 am »
Thanks for the inside look.  The big fuse is a SIBA ultra fast fuse, and work very much like HRC fuses.  The guts look very Fluke like, and the lead connectors look well insulated and protected than most low cost DMM I've seen.  

The LCD is too clear, is that a real readout or a sticker?  Its one of the highest contrasts I've ever seen in an LCD.  There's a huge photo linked here:

http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/utilities/2010031145415.htm

The Fluke 17 was sold in the US, as a Sears Craftsman model. (I'll have to wait until I get home to see the model.)

It has a unique red holster, and different colored case, but take it apart, and the board is marked "Fluke 17."

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:12:13 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:09:09 am »
The input (and other) circuitry looks good, typical Fluke.
I notice the usual Fluke protection MOVs (Blue), and the smaller ceramic fuse is typical of lower speced instruments like this which is fine.
I guess they skimp on cheaper plastics and input sockets or whatever.
A special "LED" test mode?

Dave.

The following users thanked this post: dardosordi

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 05:21:24 am »
The LCD is too clear, is that a real readout or a sticker?

since the dial is on the off position i would say its a sticker..

Offline StephenOng

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:17:26 am »
The inside of the Craftsman meter is identical to my (recently acquired) Fluke 17B except for the unmounted components used for the thermocouple circuit.

The smaller fuse seems to be properly spec'd, it has an IR of 30kA@1000V (http://www.download.siba.de/pdf/artikel/SIBA-GSS-7017240.pdf)

Build quality is good, but there are shortcomings of the Fluke 17B which are uncharacteristic of Fluke meters: slow resistance autorange, measurement overshoot, bad continuity meter, displayed leading zeros, etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:35:38 am by StephenOng »

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »

Build quality is good, but there are shortcomings of the Fluke 17B which are uncharacteristic of Fluke meters: slow resistance autorange, measurement overshoot, bad continuity meter, displayed leading zeros, etc.

Thanks for the additional information.  As everyone can tell from the yet unremoved sticker, I didn't turn it on - I took it apart!

(This is only a collection piece, I use various other Fluke models)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:14:56 pm »
whoops! duh! :o

:D

Nevertheless, if the India PR release photo is true its got a really clear LCD.  But as I posted earlier, one report of a single drop toasted the Craftsman variant, so its suggestive the shock proofing is less than the 'classic' Flukes like the 87V.

If you check Fluke's website, it will tell you the shock and vibration specs of your meter.  Many Fluke's are made to be sold to the military, and thus meet military ruggedness.  This the typical spec, quite good for consumer use.

http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-PRF/MIL-PRF+%28010000+-+29999%29/MIL-PRF-28800F_18207/

The LCD is too clear, is that a real readout or a sticker?

since the dial is on the off position i would say its a sticker..
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 03:53:49 pm »
Well it looks that MIL-PRF-28800 has nothing to do with  "military ruggedness" .

Other than calibration specs.

And even if I own the 87-5,  as long its not as scratch proof, I will babysit it, as all my other tools  ;D

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »
Hello K,

I know its not in in Greek, but the document is very detailed.  Its nearly 100 pages, including the vibration specification down to Hz, the drop heights, water proofing, electrical stress levels, etc., including the number of repetitions and how to conduct the test.

If any consumer device can pass those specs, its pretty impressive.  But it shows were the other costs for the 87V is compared to the 17B, its beyond electrical, if these meters are made to some or all of these specifications.

Here's the summary page.

Well it looks that MIL-PRF-28800 has nothing to do with  "military ruggedness" .

Other than calibration specs.

And even if I own the 87-5,  as long its not as scratch proof, I will babysit it, as all my other tools  ;D

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:11:14 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 05:19:34 pm »
Oups .. I just read the description in the page .  :)

Just DL the file .. I will read it later on.

Offline jklasdf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 08:48:06 am »
Can anyone provide anymore details about the fluke 75 to 77 conversion? I don't have one on hand with me right now, but as I remember the button on the 75 allowed for manual ranging, and was not a "button already there that did nothing" as Dave stated. Also, the 77 had better accuracy than the 75, so I'd be really surprised if a conversion was possible. I'd definitely be interested in knowing how if possible though.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
Ah, yes, correction, the button did indeed manual range. It was the touch hold function that the 77 had IIRC.
From memory it was a vertical mounted 0-ohm resistor center under the LCD that had two locations, left or right. Swap it to the other hole and you got the touch hold function of the 77.

Dave.

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
Both the (original) 75 and 77 did man range. It was the 73 that ddin't.
The hack was for touch hold, which the 77 had but the 75 didn't.
I'm sure you will find details if you search sci.electronics.repair

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 04:15:31 pm »
Hello K,

I know its not in in Greek, but the document is very detailed.  Its nearly 100 pages, including the vibration specification down to Hz, the drop heights, water proofing, electrical stress levels, etc., including the number of repetitions and how to conduct the test.

If any consumer device can pass those specs, its pretty impressive.  But it shows were the other costs for the 87V is compared to the 17B, its beyond electrical, if these meters are made to some or all of these specifications.

Here's the summary page.

I took the time to read it all of it .. actually two times.  ;D

Its not that simple to understand the terms in it , mostly because it refers to special units, like the force measured in G .. so the explanations and the descriptions are very specialized.

And I discovered and something more , Fluke in the public specs indicates max transients of 8KV ,
the Mil specs document says clearly , that any device that claims transients of 10KV , it will be tested if it comply to specs, so by this cheap trick , the 87 series never got tested that high.  ;D  

The Mil specs class 2 , its a bit forgiving in all aspects in comparison with the class A.
Still I would feel happier if it was class 5 and cost the 1/4 of the price. ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:17:51 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline jklasdf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 08:09:03 am »
Finally got around to trying the Fluke 75 to 77 conversion, and it does indeed work! For reference, the sci.electronics.repair discussion of the conversion can be found at http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics/browse_frm/thread/ae0128fb936430ea/8b5f1336786125e1 or by searching for "Fluke 75, 77, Touch Hold etc".

I'm still curious as to where the difference in the specified accuracy of the 75 and 77 comes from (i.e., does the 77 use better components, does moving the 0 ohm resistor somehow affect the accuracy, or did Fluke just advertise the 77 as being more accurate to help justify the higher price?).

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
I've often speculated about that, also.

Do they "pre select" components for the 77?  Do they do more testing? I haven't examined each component, but they all seem to be the same.

Is it a simple matter of testing the accuracy, and the better ones are 77's?

Offline longview

• Contributor
  • Oh god how did this get here I am not good with co
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »
Sorry for bumping, but if anyone wants to buy and try it DealExtreme sells the 15B and 17B, they're pretty reliable and have free shipping:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28659

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28658

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf