Author Topic: Fluke 289 battery consumption question  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Terry01Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 289 battery consumption question
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:08:17 pm »
A question for owners who can give real world answers....

I am waiting on my new meter arriving and have seen loads of reviews and stuff on how battery greedy the 289 is. I won't be a heavy user using it all day every day, just light use doing simple hobby stuff. I will use the logging feature sometimes too but not for days at a time, just a couple of hours at a time on the odd occasion. If I was an EE or spark or something using the meter every day i'd get the re-chargeable ones for sure.

Is it worth getting 12 rechargeable batteries so I can have 6 charged as 6 are in use or am I worrying for nowt?
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 289 battery consumption question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:42:32 pm »
It's easy enough to turn the meter on and off with that soft green power button, if you don't mind the boot times (I don't) 

I've been using a tired set of cheapie batteries since day one when I bought it used, still going   :clap:

If you're going to be doing a lot of logging, I'd go for two sets of Eneloop batteries and a good charger

Watch out for that round black screw thingie that unlocks the battery compartment, it crumbles and fragments to rubble if stiff and used a few times

Another Dumbass Design Award candidate...   :palm: 

I doubt the silly thing is even available as a spare part, and doesn't cost the price of a new back

or meter LOL   ;D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:11:15 am »
Thanks for the heads up on the weak azz plastic screw! I'll watch that for sure! You'd think Fluke would have a better design than that right? Just shows even the best brand names will cut even a few pence from the price of building them.

I ordered a 12 pack of the AA lithium batteries tonight so that should get me started Ha Ha! I'm sure it says it comes with batteries included too so we'll see! If it eats through 18 too quickly there will be another "used" one up for sale sharpish!  :)

I think i'll be classed as a fairly light user compared to some so i'm hoping that helps too battery wise. I think all my meters are still on their 1st battery to date so hope this one lasts just as long as the others. This will be the first meter i'll have owned that doesn't take the square 9v battery.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:30:28 am »
If it comes with a faulty super cap (which is not very common, but not super rare either. Fluke screwed up the super cap), expect faster battery draining.

If it comes with a good super cap, the battery should last hundreds of hours easily. My F289's last pair of battery lasted 2 years on ~0.25hr/day usage, then it leaked and ruined the meter at 0 out of 4 battery bars.

I then repaired the meter and stopped using alkaline batteries. Energizer promises their lithium batteries will never leak, so I turned to those. So far, at ~0.25hr/day usage, I've been on this set of battery for 8 months and it still shows 3 out of 4 bars.

With a relatively higher power consumption meter like F289, it's important to turn it off when not using. You can not leave it on like an F87V or lower end models.

I also have a U1461A, which is an OLED meter. It eats batteries even faster. Regardless, I can still get ~2 year worth of battery life (Energizer lithium ultimate) since I turn it off every time right after using it.

So the bottom line, turn high end meters off right after use, and use lithium batteries. They last longer, and should they get completely discharged, they are less likely to leak and damage your meter.

Yes that's the same ones I got, good to hear they are alright. This will be the best meter I've owned so far, I've wanted one for a wee while now. I have the Fluke 177, Extech 505, Brymen 867s and a couple cheap meters but they are all good on batteries. Looking forward to the 289 arriving!  :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:49:48 am »
A question for owners who can give real world answers....

I am waiting on my new meter arriving and have seen loads of reviews and stuff on how battery greedy the 289 is. I won't be a heavy user using it all day every day, just light use doing simple hobby stuff. I will use the logging feature sometimes too but not for days at a time, just a couple of hours at a time on the odd occasion. If I was an EE or spark or something using the meter every day i'd get the re-chargeable ones for sure.

Is it worth getting 12 rechargeable batteries so I can have 6 charged as 6 are in use or am I worrying for nowt?

Yes, definitely. And also DO NOT use alkaline cells.  :--

Learned my lesson very well  -> Rotten Energizer Alkaline cells in 2013 ruined Fluke 287 contacts :rant:

As mentioned, this Fluke 28x never powered off, as it uses soft power button, hence if it has the rotten leaking supercap, it will drain the batteries even it fully off.

Regarding using LSD NiMh cells, especially you mentioned you won't use it every day as I do, this thing last very long, just checked the battery indicator since I charged them > 12 months ago, it still doesn't complain with low battery indicator. And I doubt you will ever touch the spare 6 cells for months if you don't use the meter often.  ;)

My 287 with Eneloops.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:58:54 am »
Thanks for the heads up on the weak azz plastic screw! I'll watch that for sure! You'd think Fluke would have a better design than that right? Just shows even the best brand names will cut even a few pence from the price of building them.

If you inspect the black plastic lock screw carefully, you can make it easier and lighter to turn with just a little tiny "plastic friendly" grease, and once greased, you can lock & unlock turning that screw just using thumb finger's nail like mine.

As the lock screw is made from plastic, sometimes its stuck hard and fitted very snug at the battery case, and usually at most cases, once people had trouble turning it as its so snugged, usually they will use a metal screw driver to turn it forcefully, and as you know, plastic never beats metal.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:47:25 am »
Advice taken!  :o

At least you found your meter quite quick before any real damage was done. It would have been very easy for you to have still been using your meter for even a year or 2 not knowing the batteries were leaking. I take it your meters are stil going well now? Great deal by the way!!  :-+

As soon as mine arrives i'll swap the batteries out for the lithium ones.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:18:07 am »
At least you found your meter quite quick before any real damage was done. It would have been very easy for you to have still been using your meter for even a year or 2 not knowing the batteries were leaking. I take it your meters are stil going well now? Great deal by the way!!  :-+

Yeah, lucky me too. Both are working fine, love it, its just not my everyday DMM as they're big and boot quite slow which don't suit me.

But for logging, especially in handheld portable form, and also doesn't need PC/laptop/smart phone to view the log chart, it is very convenient, one of the best imo. Also this 287/289 series are like a really high resolution, but low bandwidth portable handheld scope.

Few examples I've posted here in this forum of it's really handy logging feature ->

Example charts for 8 hours log and it can be zoomed down to seconds  :-+
It was done in order to test on a newly installed air condition back then years ago.
-> (Fluke 287 recorded temp chart for 8 hours) (Warning, big photo).

Or logging the capacitor leakage after its been reformed for few hours
-> Use 287 to measure cap leakage for hours

Regarding alkaline, another bad story -> YARA  >:(

As soon as mine arrives i'll swap the batteries out for the lithium ones.

Wise move.  :-+
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:29:07 am by BravoV »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:40:46 pm »
I would not trust any batteries, especially in a 6 battery russian roulette scenario like a big dollars 289/287

Just one of the six that missed quality control or a bad batch has to leak, and game over  :--

Have a routine in place or phone/calender reminder to check all battery powered test gear every 6 months,
preferably during the coldest and hottest week if the work space is not temperature stable

Rechargeables may be a better bet seeing as you have to pull them out more frequently

...and risk breaking that cheap@$$ crappy retaining screw   |O :rant: :horse:  >:(

Any clued members know where I can get one (or box of 10!) , preferably in Australia, and wth it's called and a    [[  don't hold your breath :o  ]]    elusive Part Number?

Hoping it's not Fluke Part Number #SOL-BUYx1 New289Meter    >:D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:12:36 pm by Electro Detective »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:27:17 pm »
I would not trust any batteries, especially in a 6 battery russian roulette scenario like a big dollars 289/287

Just one of the six that missed quality control or a bad batch has to leak, and game over  :--

Have a routine in place or phone/calender reminder to check all battery powered test gear every 6 months,
preferably during the coldest and hottest week if the work space is not temperature stable

Rechargeables may be a better bet seeing as you have to pull them out more frequently

...and risk breaking that cheap@$$ crappy retaining screw   |O :rant: :horse:  >:(

Any clued members know where I can get one (or box of 10!) , preferably in Australia, and wth it's called and a    [[  don't hold your breath :o  ]]    elusive Part Number?

Hoping it's not Fluke Part Number #SOL-BUYx1 New289Meter    >:D

I think this is about as good as it gets buddy.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluke-Door-Fastener-83V-85V-87iii-87V-88V-787-89-4-89-IV-187-189-789/253262446006?hash=item3af79e3db6:g:qKgAAOSwsBtaDbiW

PROPERLY EXPENSIVE THOUGH!!  :wtf:

Maybe do you a deal on 10 or whatever ? ? ?

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:55 am »
Thanks mate, good surfing  :clap:    unfortunately it's paypal  :--  only and not a local seller

I'm saving the link in case I get that peaved and call in a favor from a friend with paypal 

That said, I wasn't aware that the same part fits  "83V, 85V, 87iii, 87V, 88V, 787,89-4(89 IV)187, 189, 789"

The pair on my 87V look smaller   :-// 

Will have to check that out asap

It is a stupid design and a guaranteed 'Spot The Achilles Heel' winner  :palm:  on an otherwise decent pro meter

EDIT: Actually, if they use TWO to hold in a little 9 volt battery on a Fluke 87V

yet implement ONE to hold in a 6x AA batteries on a 289

Someone asleep at the CAD wheel ?  :=\ 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:20:26 am by Electro Detective »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:57:40 pm »
Thanks mate, good surfing  :clap:    unfortunately it's paypal  :--  only and not a local seller

I'm saving the link in case I get that peaved and call in a favor from a friend with paypal 

That said, I wasn't aware that the same part fits  "83V, 85V, 87iii, 87V, 88V, 787,89-4(89 IV)187, 189, 789"

The pair on my 87V look smaller   :-// 

Will have to check that out asap

It is a stupid design and a guaranteed 'Spot The Achilles Heel' winner  :palm:  on an otherwise decent pro meter

EDIT: Actually, if they use TWO to hold in a little 9 volt battery on a Fluke 87V

yet implement ONE to hold in a 6x AA batteries on a 289

Someone asleep at the CAD wheel ?  :=\

No prob. I am sure that same seller has the 87v door as well with the 2 plastic screws but I think it's about treble the price! It's a shame like you say to put such a cheap crap part that is sure to fail on an otherwise decent meter! Just shows even the mighty Fluke drop the ball sometimes right?

Maybe if one of your buddies or someone local to you on here has the 289 and maybe halves in on the postage with you it would be worth getting postage combined on a few? Otherwise it's an expensive "cheap crap" part right?  :wtf:

Hope you get something sorted for your part buddy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf