Author Topic: Forum admin.. add jpeg file extension for upload pls  (Read 5539 times)

Offline tablatronixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Forum admin.. add jpeg file extension for upload pls
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:24 am »
It seems you cannot upload .jpeg files, this is a major problem with ios users.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Forum admin.. add jpeg file extension for upload pls
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:17:24 am »

Don't worry, soon your photos won't be recognised by anything except Apple products with the introduction of the HEIC image format in the new iPhone X ;-)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:22:12 am »
Not being an iOS fanboy, I looked it up...

"High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIC)"   :-//

I would have thought HEIFF - but is that too long?  Does it sound like a reference to Hugh Hefner - or would that lead it into being referred to a HEIFFER ... because it's going to be a real cow to deal with?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:26:52 am by Brumby »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:38 am »
I would have thought HEIFF - but is that too long?  Does it sound like a reference to Hugh Hefner - or would that lead it into being referred to a HEIFFER ... because it's going to be a real cow to deal with?

The MPEG standard is actually .HEIF files (which is a container format). HEIC is an encoding format. Apple decided to use .HEIC and .HEICS instead of sticking with what most others were doing... you know... because Apple.

Although Apple didn't invent the format, it's not very widely supported (yet). As far as I know, not even Windows 10 natively recognises them. The newest version of MacOS does, but you might want to set a root password ;-)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:39:53 am by Halcyon »

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:03:18 am »
solution, firewire a thunderbolt connection over appletalk to transmit an applescript file over an airport base so you can sneakernet an original hyperdrive upgrade to an xserve host so you can TIFF an image over to the forums.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:31:51 am »
solution, firewire a thunderbolt connection over appletalk to transmit an applescript file over an airport base so you can sneakernet an original hyperdrive upgrade to an xserve host so you can TIFF an image over to the forums.

Except Thunderbolt isn't a thing anymore on the new Apple machines. But to their credit, they've done the right thing and implemented all USB-C ports! Finally, a standard people can actually use with the rest of their devices and computers. Although the new iPhone still uses that stupid Apple connector. Maybe a last-ditch effort to sell yet another adapter cable/converter?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:59 am »

Except Thunderbolt isn't a thing anymore on the new Apple machines. But to their credit, they've done the right thing and implemented all USB-C ports! Finally, a standard people can actually use with the rest of their devices and computers. Although the new iPhone still uses that stupid Apple connector. Maybe a last-ditch effort to sell yet another adapter cable/converter?

Firewire, appletalk, and the hyperdrive, are all things no longer used on modern Apple machines, and the Xserver has been discontinued.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:11 am »
Firewire, appletalk, and the hyperdrive, are all things no longer used on modern Apple machines, and the Xserver has been discontinued.

I'm well aware, I was just pointing out that Apple actually made a decent design decision for a change.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 06:59:39 am »

I'm well aware, I was just pointing out that Apple actually made a decent design decision for a change.

I might be about to start collecting old macintoshes, so I am going to be dealing with Apple's design changes soon enough.

I'm about to build my, for now, final IBM compatible machine soon.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 07:03:15 am »
Just the fact that most image viewers don't look at the exif rotation when displaying is already annoying enough.
Since Apple no longer rotates the image, but only puts the rotation in the exif for the viewer to use.  |O

All photos in Windows are sideways or upside down....

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:05:21 am »
I might be about to start collecting old macintoshes, so I am going to be dealing with Apple's design changes soon enough.

I have about 7 of the things ranging from 1983-1996(ish). They are a major pain in the arse, especially when storage is concerned.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
I expected one or two frivilous posts, but holy shit mods tolerate alot of bs around here.

Anyway yes ios switched to heic? But still supports jpg also but it uses .jpeg extension.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:27:33 pm by tablatronix »

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »
I expected one or two frivilous posts, but holy shit mods tolerate alot of bs around here.

Anyway yes ios switched to heic? But still supports jpg also but it uses .jpeg extension.

Remember when the iPhone was like a real computer that allowed you to install whatever program you like and use whatever file formats you wish?

I don't either.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 06:17:56 pm »
Just edit the file extension to jpg and they upload fine.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 06:25:50 pm »
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with using the extension JPEG (I've used it myself), but then, do we really want to give in to Apple?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 08:03:05 pm »

Not an option

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 08:05:01 pm »

Not an option

Why?  :-//

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:57 pm »

The MPEG standard is actually .HEIF files (which is a container format). HEIC is an encoding format. Apple decided to use .HEIC and .HEICS instead of sticking with what most others were doing... you know... because Apple.

Although Apple didn't invent the format, it's not very widely supported (yet). As far as I know, not even Windows 10 natively recognises them. The newest version of MacOS does, but you might want to set a root password ;-)

No no no. HEIC will be High Efficiency Image Cryptocurrency. They will take a fe every time you take or look at the picture. Because, you know, Apple.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:34:02 pm »

Not an option

It is difficult to do this on iOS. You can, but you'd need a third party app that supports changing extensions, and incorporates a web browser to be able to select files from the app from html input tag.
Oh, I see now that the html input tag opens the """file manager""", which does not show in-app files anymore.  |O iOS 11.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 08:36:56 pm »

Not an option

It is difficult to do this on iOS. You can, but you'd need a third party app that supports changing extensions, and incorporates a web browser to be able to select files from the app from html input tag.

No it’s easy to do with any number of apps. I do it all the time. No web browser incorporation needed. File explorer, FileApp, drop box, etc, etc, etc many will do this.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 08:39:58 pm »

Not an option

The OP is talking about using a mobile device, specifically iOS. That doesn't expose any of the traditional file handling interfaces and you move around links between applications, for photos you can take them, delete them, or move between applications (such as an editor), but you just see an image and none of the details of the underlying format.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »

Not an option

The OP is talking about using a mobile device, specifically iOS. That doesn't expose any of the traditional file handling interfaces and you move around links between applications, for photos you can take them, delete them, or move between applications (such as an editor), but you just see an image and none of the details of the underlying format.

Yes, I realize that. I do it all the time on my iphone and ipad. It is not difficult AT ALL!

Just for example, you can open a pic with dropbox then choose rename and change jpeg to jpg. Then when posting you can easily upload to an EEVBlog post (from local device dropbox storage - not the cloud). Similar easy process from other apps.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:58:44 pm by mtdoc »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:31 pm »
Thats not how ios with heic works, ios generates a jpeg on sharing or upload, you cannot just rename and save files to local library. If you do have a file select program jpeg, programs will resave jpeg not jpg, I use and have tried many. Also this varies between files saved locally, saved in icloud etc.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:51 pm »
If the forum software was smart enough, it should be validating files based on file headers, not extensions. Provided an image had the FF D8 FF FE JPEG header, you could call it image.exe and it should still get through.

This is clearly not the case. A bit lazy on the programmers part.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 11:51:49 pm »
Thats not how ios with heic works, ios generates a jpeg on sharing or upload, you cannot just rename and save files to local library. If you do have a file select program jpeg, programs will resave jpeg not jpg, I use and have tried many. Also this varies between files saved locally, saved in icloud etc.

You can say that but the fact is I’ve been doing it for years - taking pics with my iPhone or iPad, renaming them (jpeg to jpg) and posting them on this forum.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 12:33:10 am »
Surveillance?!?

"Everybody's doing it".
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 12:40:25 am »
You have been running ios 11 for years with icloud optimized photo library and using heif?

Regardless jpeg is a valid and standard jpg file extension and should be added. Thanks.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 12:57:46 am »
Dropbox seems like a decent workaround, but you have to upload your photo to it.
Then browse to dropbox from file upload dialogs, huge pain in the ass. Every image convertor
Or resizer i tried only saves jpeg ext.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 02:36:33 am »
If the forum software was smart enough, it should be validating files based on file headers, not extensions. Provided an image had the FF D8 FF FE JPEG header, you could call it image.exe and it should still get through.

It's free software. Complaints are always followed by the phrase, then you do better.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 03:00:51 am »
Just thought I'd mention Advanced Renamer. https://www.advancedrenamer.com/
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 03:01:46 am »
I raised this issue 15 months ago.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/can't-post-ipad-photo-on-forum/

The following users thanked this post: tablatronix

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 04:26:11 am »

It's free software. Complaints are always followed by the phrase, then you do better.

Free or not, why cut corners? I've already done better by suggesting it, but I'm not a programmer so I can't implement it.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 05:10:22 am »
You all need to understand what the forum software is and is not! It is Simple Machines forum software with some tweaks and mods. It is not software written for EEVblog specifically and to break some of the core code can cause major headaches to update the forum later.

It is far more likely an IOS induced issue than an SMF one. The majority of issues with few forums I have upgraded and made have come from IOS and Microsoft's browsers in about equal amounts. |O

Of more recent times specific mobile themes have become better but if you are stil having trouble then installing Tapatalk will likely solve the tablet IOS issues.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 07:01:48 am »
There is a string in the forum config that says: "allowed attachments: 'jpg,zip..'.
Adding jpeg to this shouldn't be hard.

To be precise: attachmentCheckExtensions
Code: (php) [Select]
if (!empty($modSettings['attachmentCheckExtensions']))
{
    if (!in_array(strtolower(substr(strrchr($_FILES['attachment']['name'][$n], '.'), 1)), explode(',', strtolower($modSettings['attachmentExtensions']))))
        fatal_error($_FILES['attachment']['name'][$n] . '.<br />' . $txt['cant_upload_type'] . ' ' . $modSettings['attachmentExtensions'] . '.', false);
}

Defaults seem to be: doc,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip
I've not seen an mpg in ages.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:04:47 am by Jeroen3 »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, tablatronix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf