Author Topic: Forum getting too popular?  (Read 98391 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Forum getting too popular?
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:56 am »
Ah.. no wonder, the ratio between spam accounts vs genuine accounts is scary isn't it ?  :(

Not any more, they have been purged. So the 7000+ accounts are now all genuine.

No, what I meant is when looking at the New member chart, normalized new member counts are below 50 daily, while without the spam filter period, it was at 300 to 500 daily, thats about 10 folds.   :o

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2013, 04:31:11 am »
Ahrrmmm  :P .... an "executive summary" ..
  • This chart marks 3 years of forum's data captured since Aug 2010.
  • Since June 2013 with updated the new registration security at +7000 genuine members, assuming it is still effective, the total members now are closing to 10.000.
  • Page views shows a steady & strong organic growth, SupplyFrame needs to recognize and the most important to acknowledge it.   ..<wink..wink..wink> ...  >:D
Attached chart below.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:07:09 am by BravoV »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2013, 05:28:41 am »
Nice stats, thanks!
Last time I purged any zero poster accounts, there was a very low percentage of them, so yes, most of the accounts will be users with at least one active post.
And of course the forum has zero spam posts. Once in a blue  moon they do get through, but are quickly deleted.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39:19 am »
Ok, I just did another account purge to delete all accounts with zero posts and greater than 30 days old.
Total members has now dropped to 8493, so there were quite a few, but we have at least 8000 active accounts with genuine posts.

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:55 am »
I'm sorry... but I must object..... Zero is not the same as Null.......

Regards

Kaptain "waddayamean zero equals nothing" Zero    -or-

Kaptain " I may have had a pint too many..... tonight" Zero

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:36 am »
30 days is a bit short isn't it. Some people may lurk for a while to get the feel of the place. Is there any advantage to delete inactive users sooner rather than later? Perhaps time since last logon would be better.

Yes, sorry, that included login and creation.
But in any case, there is no need to join this forum to lurk, you can browse all posts without joining. So even if you do visit regularly but have zero posts, what is the point of your account? To contact a member(s) by DM perhaps?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2013, 07:00:45 am »
what is the point of your account? To contact a member(s) by DM perhaps?

Get "Notify working"?
Get "Show unread posts since last visit" working?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:51 am »
Get "Notify working"?

Yeah, good point.
Although should people be allowed to do that indefinitely without ever having contributed at least one post?
I think not, because it screws up the numbers of how many active users there are.
I suspect very few people would read and follow the forum regularly and never ever do a single post.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:07 am »
I don't know. I see the point of pruning dead wood. I also see the point of preventing spammers to obtain accounts in preparation of some later spam run.

On the other hand, I find the forum software unusable without "Show unread posts since last visit". Without that it is absolutely horrible.

Does the software have some way to check for the time of last login? E.g. "if zero posts, and last login is older than a year --> trashcan"
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:15 am »
On the other hand, I find the forum software unusable without "Show unread posts since last visit". Without that it is absolutely horrible.

Sure, if you are reading it on a daily basis. But without that it's more than good enough to come in read and search and see if you like the tone of the forum enough to join and participate.

Does the software have some way to check for the time of last login? E.g. "if zero posts, and last login is older than a year --> trashcan"

Yes, that's what I did, but in this case I put that at a month, not a year. I can search for all users with zero posts, last login time, creation date etc.
No one with zero posts who has logged in in the last month was purged.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2013, 10:41:46 am »
Get "Notify working"?

Yeah, good point.
Although should people be allowed to do that indefinitely without ever having contributed at least one post?
I think not, because it screws up the numbers of how many active users there are.
I suspect very few people would read and follow the forum regularly and never ever do a single post.
I would consider active readers as active users, no matter how often they post(if ever).
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
I would consider active readers as active users, no matter how often they post(if ever).

Sure, but if you've never posted anything, and haven't visited in over a month, I think it's fair enough to purge them.

Offline tanstaafl

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »
Another reason to subscribe and not post is to avoid those annoying captcha's while searching  :)

But agreed, no posts and not visited can probably be purged...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2013, 12:36:01 am »
Just a brief update reflecting yesterday Dave's contest announcement, this time the captured statistic started from Jul to yesterday at 7th Oct for finer resolution.

Feeling crowded ? You're right, number never lies.

Interpretation is yours ...  >:D

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:37:10 am by BravoV »

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:55 am »
Can you update those every 24h? Your post was a very justified way to bring this topic back.

I have noticed this contest hasn't been running for more than 30hrs. and it is already almost as long as the previous contest. My odds are getting smaller  :-\

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:35 am »
Interesting stats, as always, thanks.
I consider this overall a good thing though. How many of the new posts are just fillers?  From what I've looked at it's not a huge percentage, but I could be wrong.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2013, 02:04:54 am »
Interesting stats, as always, thanks.
I consider this overall a good thing though. How many of the new posts are just fillers?  From what I've looked at it's not a huge percentage, but I could be wrong.

I feel most of them lack substance. Many are short, two-line opinions like this one.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2013, 02:06:50 am »
I feel most of them lack substance. Many are short, two-line opinions like this one.

Perhaps, but is this just confirmation bias, or a real result?
How much does it differ from regular newbie posts?

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:02 am »

They differ by date ;)

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2013, 02:26:48 am »
Quote of something I posted elsewhere in the forum:
I've seen some new joiners post some good quality contributions to some pre-existing threads (much more valuable and meaningful than anything I have posted myself).  I only hope they continue to do so in the long run as this would be a welcome injection of new viewpoints, expertise and addition to the overall pool of knowledge and diversity.
/quote

besides the self inflicted dig, surely this is a good thing as eventually the space wasters will be pruned after not posting/logging in for a while? Those newcomers who do have something to contribute to or learn from the forum will remain.

Or am I being too inclusive and a hippy?

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2013, 02:29:29 am »

They do differ, I think. I grabbed a bunch of random users with anywhere form 30 to a thousand posts and looked at their 10 earliest posts. Most of them wrote just like they write now, they don't change. About 15% of the people I checked wrote shorter single paragraph posts. Others wrote longer things similar to this post.

B@W has proven some users come back to post whatever amount of posts they are missing in order to participate in the contest.

But I do get your point: it's normal for people new to electronics (not necessarily new to the forum) not to have long detailed posts or solid opinions on something like the Intel-based Arduino or whatever.

Offline pstrag

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2013, 08:33:21 am »
I'd like to say something from my position. Yes, I am trying to participate in EEVBlog contest. That is the main reason why I started to writing, but I was "using" this forum before just as a passive reader. Since I am not native English speaking person, I am using much more mature forum than this one, which is written in my language. BTW it is the largest forum in whole country ( elektroda.pl/rtvforum ). So it isn't like that I started to have some questions right now. I am writhing short posts, because I have to double check almost every sentence while writing and they are still with some errors. (Try to write some elaborate posts in your second / third language).
One of aims of this contest is to bring new users here and it is working. Sure, there are many weak posts and answers, just to collect 5 posts, but this is a rule of contest, so you shouldn't be surprised. After few days everything will be back to normal, but users like me will be encouraged to participate.
PS. Yes, it was my fifth post, and now I will be writing only, when I will have something to say :)

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2013, 09:30:24 am »

They differ by date ;)

They also differ in the fact some of the "newbie" posts I have seen are starting 5 new threads with pretty meaningless questions or statements.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2013, 09:53:39 am »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2013, 06:30:23 am »
2nd day ...

I think this is enough for now, next update will be 3 days after Dave closed the contest or/and made the announcement to see how it settles down.

Range 1st Sept - 8th Oct.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf