Author Topic: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software  (Read 171170 times)

Offline DIPLover

• Regular Contributor
Re: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 05:14:15 am »
My only suggestion to Ilya would be :

Could you PLEASE drop the stupid "hurry now price will double in 3 days", which is always 3 days from today?

That's bullshit. And you seem like such a "no-bullshit" person the rest of the time...

Good point. :-[
It's gone. now its stuck at $49.  :)

You're awesome!

Now I'll give autoTRAX a spin since I'm still on a quest for the perfect (for me at least) schematic editor.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:57 am »
Do you do right click copy / paste? Well that alone kicks the snot out of KiCAD!!

Uh-huh...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:40 am »
So far looks pretty good. I don't hate the parts editor.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:18 am »
Oh darn. It requires MS .Net framework. Which I try to avoid.
Just out of curiosity, what does it use .Net for?

Edit: I'd hoped to find this out for myself by trying it, but since I can't install just now, I'll ask.

You said "all application data is stored in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\AutoTRAX Software\DEX"
There's the install files - these can be put anywhere - good.
Then there's project files - I'd expect they can be put anywhere too? That's a 'must'.
The thing that I was wondering about, is stuff like per-project config files, libraries, GUI user prefs, etc. Where do they get kept? User consignable?
Because if "C:\Users\user-ID\..." is the only place AutotraxDEX will put such things, the software is not portable. I've become a great fan of fully portable apps, due to getting tired of reinstalling long lists of stuff every time I change PCs. Not being able to simply clone my entire work environment to different PCs become too tedious to bear, long ago.

So, simply put, can AutoTRAX DEX be configured as fully portable?  (Aside from the .NET dependency)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:33:31 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 10:17:07 am »

.. Why?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 10:34:01 am »

.. Why?

Because.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:21 am »

.. Why?

Because.

I'm sure you'll love Windows 8 then, it's all .Net, DCOM, ActiveX, COM, OLE or whatever it was called before that. Marshalling to the MAX!

But at least it's not Corba :)

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 10:55:05 am »
Gotta give this software a try. At the moment I use DXdesigner at work and Eagle at home. I was thinking about buying the Eagle hobby licence.

Offline IliyaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
Gotta give this software a try. At the moment I use DXdesigner at work and Eagle at home. I was thinking about buying the Eagle hobby licence.

DEX will import both the Eagle schematic and the Eagle board files and combine them into one self-contained project file. It will even convert the parts to DEX parts. The files must be version 6.
Unlike the Eagle Hobbyist, with AutoTRAX you do not need to fill in any forms and later today, even enter an email address to use it in for non-commercial designs.
AutoTRAX does not have the 99 schematic sheets, 6 signal layers, 160x100mm routing area limits of Eagle Hobbyist.
Eagle Hobbyist is a mere $169 while AutoTRAX is an astonishing $0.00, so if you use AutoTRAX you can give the $169 to the wife/husband. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:02:28 pm by Iliya »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 01:37:54 pm »
My only suggestion to Ilya would be :

Could you PLEASE drop the stupid "hurry now price will double in 3 days", which is always 3 days from today?

That's bullshit. And you seem like such a "no-bullshit" person the rest of the time...

Good point. :-[
It's gone. now its stuck at $49.  :)

You're awesome!

Now I'll give autoTRAX a spin since I'm still on a quest for the perfect (for me at least) schematic editor.
Changes to downloading AutoTRAX. No need to enter and email address and the installer does not need a password.

http:///pcb.software/Download
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:27:21 pm by Iliya »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 01:40:33 pm »
Changes to downloading AutoTRAX. No need to enter and email address and the installer does not need a password.
http://www.kov.com/Download

It still needs a password...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 01:47:58 pm »
http://www.kov.com/Download

It still needs a password...

It's now fixed.

The password was WASHINGTON

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »

It's now fixed.

Still asks for password, WASHINGTON works.
(And yes, I downloaded again)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 02:00:59 pm »
Is it normal that DEX asks for a key each time it runs? It looks like it doesn't understand I only want it for non-commercial use. It insists asking.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 02:04:34 pm »

It's now fixed.

Still asks for password, WASHINGTON works.
(And yes, I downloaded again)

Cleared the server cache. It should be OK now. Checked it and it works.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »
Is it normal that DEX asks for a key each time it runs? It looks like it doesn't understand I only want it for non-commercial use. It insists asking.

Just click Run As Non-Commercial. It serves to remind you not to use it for commercial use. The commercial version (only $49) does not show this.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 02:17:11 pm »
Do you do right click copy / paste? Well that alone kicks the snot out of KiCAD!!

Uh-huh...
See the Edit menu

Ctrl+C to copy. Ctrl+V to paste.
Ctri+C also copies viewport  image to the clipboard if nothing is selected.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 02:26:49 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what does it use .Net for?

Edit: I'd hoped to find this out for myself by trying it, but since I can't install just now, I'll ask.

You said "all application data is stored in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\AutoTRAX Software\DEX"
There's the install files - these can be put anywhere - good.
Then there's project files - I'd expect they can be put anywhere too? That's a 'must'.
The thing that I was wondering about, is stuff like per-project config files, libraries, GUI user prefs, etc. Where do they get kept? User consignable?
Because if "C:\Users\user-ID\..." is the only place AutotraxDEX will put such things, the software is not portable. I've become a great fan of fully portable apps, due to getting tired of reinstalling long lists of stuff every time I change PCs. Not being able to simply clone my entire work environment to different PCs become too tedious to bear, long ago.

So, simply put, can AutoTRAX DEX be configured as fully portable?  (Aside from the .NET dependency)
Your user settings are saved in the Roaming directory, so logging in on different machines in a network uses the same settings.
Per project settings are saved in the project.
All dialog,panel, per dialog directory, viewport arrangement, viewport views are automatically saved and restored.
Dialog position/sizes are auto saved/restored.
Dialog selected tabs etc are auto saved/restored.
There are 4 quick change workspaces. The auto-remember/restore.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:20 pm »
Horrible website... please pay someone some money to get it at least looking professional.

You can always pay for the website. I find the website fine for me, I prefer looking past the garb and simply download the product and try it out, I have Eagle Pro and Autotrax paid edition and I prefer Autotrax hands-down. I also hate the Eagle Website. Confusing nightmare the navigate.

Anyway if he paid for a site developer then there would be no true free edition.

The web site is designed for minimum clutter. I use 'above the fold' layout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_the_fold
It is also a responsive layout and adapts for browser size/aspect ratio. (see it on a mobile device and rotate the tablet/phone) or resize your browser.
It also used delayed async loading, e.g. the Features stuff on the home below the fold is loaded after the webpage is first displayed. Same for all the images in the top slider. Uses Javascript.
Download buttons easy to see.
Simple top menu without dropdowns (they take extra clicks)
No fluff - or actors who speak to each other without making a sound [url=http://www.altium.com/]http://www.altium.com/[/url] :-//
No pages to collect and store your email (for later use) for vapour-ware.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:54:53 pm by Iliya »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 02:54:02 pm »
I wonder if the way the website displays depends on system, browser, and available fonts. This is what I see, and frankly I think it's quite ugly. Do you test your rendering on different platforms? That's a rather standard task for web developers...

I'm mostly okay with the general layout, it just needs to be less chunky. Probably should also have some way to navigate through the very long "home" tab that goes on and on and on about the features.

Edit: nope, looks the same on IE 11 on Windows 7.

Fonts, dude. They're big and ugly, and make it look cluttered (as a small amount of text takes up a lot of space). Also, spacing in general - in particular, the horizontal nav bar at the top. The vertical alignment needs to be fixed, and the horizontal space between the icons and text needs to be increased.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:01:10 pm by c4757p »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:37 pm »
I wonder if the way the website displays depends on system, browser, and available fonts. This is what I see, and frankly I think it's quite ugly. Do you test your rendering on different platforms? That's a rather standard task for web developers...

I'm mostly okay with the general layout, it just needs to be less chunky. Probably should also have some way to navigate through the very long "home" tab that goes on and on and on about the features.

Edit: nope, looks the same on IE 11 on Windows 7.

Fonts, dude. They're big and ugly, and make it look cluttered (as a small amount of text takes up a lot of space).

It's how it is designed. Personally I don't think it's as 'busy' as say the Altium download page... see below.
I'm sorry but there is little I can do. Big does necessarily == ugly. It's perhaps personal preference.
You could try this... http://iliyakovac.com/ It's something I have been working on.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:44 pm »
It's how it is designed. Personally I don't think it's as 'busy' as say the Altium download page... see below.
I'm sorry but there is little I can do. Big does necessarily == ugly. It's perhaps personal preference.
You could try this... http://iliyakovac.com/ It's something I have been working on.

The Altium page has more information on it, but it's well organized. Also, your example looks way better - I could nitpick that too, but it's a significant improvement on the AutoTRAX style. I suggest importing the new look posthaste ;D

Okay, one nitpick: Maybe make the gigantic graphic less gigantic, as I don't like having to scroll to see the content. Maybe it's better on a nice modern high-resolution display, but we don't all have those (I'm on 1600x900 :()
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:10:17 pm by c4757p »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:58 pm »

The Altium page has more information on it, but it's well organized. Also, your example looks way better - I could nitpick that too, but it's a significant improvement on the AutoTRAX style. I suggest importing the new look posthaste ;D

Okay, one nitpick: Maybe make the gigantic graphic less gigantic, as I don't like having to scroll to see the content. Maybe it's better on a nice modern high-resolution display, but we don't all have those (I'm on 1600x900 :()

I have reduced the header font size and spacing and moved some buttons.

See http:///pcb.software/ and http:///pcb.software/download

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:28:07 pm by Iliya »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:21 pm »
Iliya:

If nothing else, I think you are to be commended for your generosity to provide your hard work for free, and also to come here and stay here after the direct brutal (almost insulting) criticism that has been dumped on you. I have no need for commercial use of your software right now but your attitude and patience is enough for me to buy the commercial license, even if I don't use it. I do this partially to encourage you to continue with your no BS and hands on approach, and partially to encourage the rest of the world to stop worrying about the almighty dollar and do something for your community

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »
Finally got time to get this installed and have an initial play.  As an absolute beginner with creating my own PCBs, this software is a joy to use compared to what I tried previously (Eagle).  Pretty much everything I've tried to do just works as you would expect.  Plus the documentation is excellent - especially the videos linked to directly from the help file.

I'm pretty confident I'll now be able to create something vs. spend all my time battling with the software.  Thanks Iliya for clueing me into this and making it accessible   :clap: :clap:.

Anthony

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf