Author Topic: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software  (Read 170916 times)

Offline IliyaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »
I am pleased to announce the Free version of AutoTRAX DEX. This is the non-commercial (not for profit) version. It is the identical version as the commercial version. There is only one binary program. The only restriction is that it must be used for non-commercial projects. There is no demo program; there’s no need!
  • You do not need to register for the free software.
  • It does not have a time limit.
  • There is no limit to the number or size of sheets.
  • There are no layer limits or PCB size limits.
  • There are no adverts for PCB board manufacturers.
  • The BOM does not ‘guide’ you to a major component distributor.
Unlike other EDA programs, DEX has just one simple to understand price for commercial use. Non-commercial use is totally free with no limits except it must be used for non-commercial use. Simply put, non-commercial use is totally free, commercial use is not. If you are making $$$ out of your design then it is only fair that you pay an equally fair single price.
Now that's a refreshing change!

Visit the web site for more...

Enjoy
Regards
Iliya Kovac, Developer of AutoTRAX DEX
Spreading the joy
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:24:23 am by Iliya »

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: Free Unlimited Version of AutoTRAX PCB Design Software
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:40 am »
I am pleased to announce the Free version of AutoTRAX DEX. This is the non-commercial (not for profit) version. It is the identical version as the commercial version.

Oh excellent! From the description page on the web site it looks great. Downloaded! email: guykd@.....

Is this software a descendant of the old Protel Autotrax? If so, are old Autotrax  custom parts libraries compatible? Old projects?

I used to use Protel Autotrax a lot, years ago when still working. Lately I've been planning to do design work again, but hadn't decided what schem/pcb package to use. At my age learning curves are a bitch. Just sticking with my old tools seemed like a good idea, since gerbers are presumably still the same. On principle I prefer free software (unless I'm making a profit by it.) Also in a practical sense since I'm poor AND one needs so many different software tools to do much, buying isn't really an option. If I ever do make a profit (unlikely) I'll be glad to pay.

If this is a descendant of Protel Autotrax, in private-use freeware form, and I can load old projects and libraries, it's an answer to my prayers! Thank you!

Pic: my old Protel manuals.

Edit: Hmmm.. $49 offer till next Sat 24th. Now that I can afford - just. Ha ha. Will give it a try before then, and see.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:27:52 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:21 am »
I wish it would support also Mac OSX and  Linux. Very important for open source designs.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:12:14 am »
Is this software a descendant of the old Protel Autotrax?

No, it's completely unrelated - just uses the name now the Protel one is effectively abandoned.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:00 am »
Thanks, interesting, will try it when I had the chance, downloaded with installation key "W*********" .  >:D

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:23 am »
No, it's completely unrelated - just uses the name now the Protel one is effectively abandoned.

Oh well, so file compatibility is vanishingly unlikely then. Pity. I was kind of hoping Iliya might have been a developer at protel or something.

I won't have time to give it more than a superficial try before the sale ends on Sat. And superficial tryouts never tell one much about how well software works on real projects.

Has anyone had working experience with Autotrax DEX, and what are your impressions?
OK google, that's what I get for not reading the CAD threads. I see this has been a hot topic there for _years_. 8 pages to catch up on.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/opinions-autotrax-design-express-2020/

Hmm, how long has it been $50 I wonder?

At least it's not node-locked (to a specific machine.) That's one thing I flatly refuse to accept, from ANY software.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:40 am »
Very superficially this looks pretty good. I have not had the time to investigate sufficiently to make a decision but is this worth buying? It is free to do anything personally but is ti worth my time to learn and buy?

Offline DeanA

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 07:34:21 am »
I am pleased to announce the Free version of AutoTRAX DEX. This is the non-commercial (not for profit) version. It is the identical version as the commercial version.

Oh excellent! From the description page on the web site it looks great. Downloaded! email: guykd@.....

Is this software a descendant of the old Protel Autotrax? If so, are old Autotrax  custom parts libraries compatible? Old projects?

I used to use Protel Autotrax a lot, years ago when still working. Lately I've been planning to do design work again, but hadn't decided what schem/pcb package to use. At my age learning curves are a bitch. Just sticking with my old tools seemed like a good idea, since gerbers are presumably still the same. On principle I prefer free software (unless I'm making a profit by it.) Also in a practical sense since I'm poor AND one needs so many different software tools to do much, buying isn't really an option. If I ever do make a profit (unlikely) I'll be glad to pay.

If this is a descendant of Protel Autotrax, in private-use freeware form, and I can load old projects and libraries, it's an answer to my prayers! Thank you!

Pic: my old Protel manuals.

Edit: Hmmm.. $49 offer till next Sat 24th. Now that I can afford - just. Ha ha. Will give it a try before then, and see.

Hi TerraHertz

I think you can download a free version of Protel Autotrax from here http://techdocs.altium.com/display/ALEG/Legacy+Downloads

I also started off using Protel Autrotrax (back last century in the late 80's if I remember correctly).  Since then I have used "Protel for Windows", "Protel 98", "Protel99SE", and "AltiumDesigner10".  Protel Autrotrax was quite a capable package, we designed many commercial products using Autotrax, a lot of the keyboard shortcuts remain the same all the way to AD10 (and beyond I assume).

Regards,
Dean.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:16 am »
What happens if i make a PCB and release the gerbers to the world for free (so non profit use).
And someone else then takes my gerbers from the net and uses them for a commercial product?

If the generated outputs are totally free then this can happen, or does the free version only generate files licensed under an open hardware license?
Or is it more of an honesty system?
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:48 am »
I'll give it a try.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
Looks very interesting, thanks. My main issue is usually parts libraries, or rather lack of them and effort needed to make them. Eagle is okay but kinda hard work for this.
You can download the AutoTRAX 109,951 parts library from here…
These are all the parts in the Eagle library together with all the community parts from the Element 14 site (up to end of 2013).

These are converted from the separate symbol and footprint libraries into a collection of separate AutoTRAX parts. AutoTRAX parts contain all the information for a parts symbols and footprint/land pattern, the part files are XML and do not refer to any other files so they are extremely portable.

The AutoTRAX parts panel has a multi-threaded search function that searches all the parts for matching search patterns. Regular expressions are used. AutoTRAX indexes the parts library in the background for fast search.
AutoTRAX allows you to edit the placed symbols and footprints in place in projects. You can use the Part Builder Panel to change the footprints from say DIP to SOIC and alter the pad pitch and size. The 3D is automatically generated for parametric parts, so no need to bulking 3D model libraries. However, AutoTRAX can import 3D models.

P.S. Never trust a parts library. Check, check and check again.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:22:43 pm by Iliya »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 11:35:37 am »
What happens if i make a PCB and release the gerbers to the world for free (so non profit use).
And someone else then takes my gerbers from the net and uses them for a commercial product?

If the generated outputs are totally free then this can happen, or does the free version only generate files licensed under an open hardware license?
Or is it more of an honesty system?

AutoTRAX uses an honesty system. Even if a user deliberately uses it for commercial use all I could claim in court for damages is $49. AutoTRAX does not check.

The free AutoTRAX does not use a license manager. You can move the installed programs to anywhere. AutoTRAX does not use any registry entries, all application data is stored in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\AutoTRAX Software\DEX where XXX is your account name. All the files are human readable XML files.

I'm not going to chase people for $49.

Why steal it when it only costs $49  :-//
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:49:36 am by Iliya »

Offline ozwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »
Thank you Iliya, much appreciated.  I even downloaded the user manual, wow, 600+ pages?

Ozwolf
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »
Looks very interesting, thanks. My main issue is usually parts libraries, or rather lack of them and effort needed to make them. Eagle is okay but kinda hard work for this.
You can download the AutoTRAX 109,951 parts library from here…
These are all the parts in the Eagle library together with all the community parts from the Element 14 site (up to end of 2013).

These are converted from the separate symbol and footprint libraries into a collection of separate AutoTRAX parts. AutoTRAX parts contain all the information for a parts symbols and footprint/land pattern, the part files are XML and do not refer to any other files so they are extremely portable.

The AutoTRAX parts panel has a multi-threaded search function that searches all the parts for matching search patterns. Regular expressions are used. AutoTRAX indexes the parts library in the background for fast search.
AutoTRAX allows you to edit the placed symbols and footprints in place in projects. You can use the Part Builder Panel to change the footprints from say DIP to SOIC and alter the pad pitch and size. The 3D is automatically generated for parametric parts, so no need to bulking 3D model libraries. However, AutoTRAX can import 3D models.

P.S. Never trust a parts library. Check, check and check again.

Especially don't trust that library. Both the official Eagle libs and the Element14 ones are rife with sheer crap.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »

Nope, completely different.
The story as I know it is that Protel/Altium were not happy at the time, and there was some dispute between them, but the Autotrax name was never trademarked, or they let it lapse or some such, so Altium didn't push it in the end.
But I'm sure Iliya can fill us in first-hand if he chooses.
I've always though the use of the name was just silly and confusing for everyone, Iliya knew perfectly well Protel had used that name for a long time.

I'm impressed by the new free offer  :-+
And have always been impressed that this is a one man effort.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 01:44:39 pm »
Thank you Iliya, much appreciated.  I even downloaded the user manual, wow, 600+ pages?

Ozwolf

I'm working on fleshing out the manual. Loads of stuff to add.

There are also 93 tutorial videos. These are not sales videos. They teach you something  :-+, not try to sell you overpriced software. >:D

Click to see the videos... (No adverts!)

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 02:06:50 pm »

Nope, completely different.
The story as I know it is that Protel/Altium were not happy at the time, and there was some dispute between them, but the Autotrax name was never trademarked, or they let it lapse or some such, so Altium didn't push it in the end.
But I'm sure Iliya can fill us in first-hand if he chooses.
I've always though the use of the name was just silly and confusing for everyone, Iliya knew perfectly well Protel had used that name for a long time.

I'm impressed by the new free offer  :-+
And have always been impressed that this is a one man effort.

Protel (now Altium) never trademarked AutoTRAX.  :-// When I registered the trademark I searched the Protel web site for AutoTRAX. No reference found.  I emailed Nick Martin in 2002 that I intended to market AutoTRAX.
The only reply I got from them was basically they reserved the right to use AutoTRAX in Australia. Then all of a sudden Protel AutoTRAX appeared on their website as a free download. (Perhaps to cover their backsides).
Anyway, no contact since 2002. Like that Parrot, Protel AutoTRAX could be deceased.

Can't see them ever using the AutoTRAX name - too much connection to the long gone founder of Altium. Perhaps they could make a new cut-down free version of CircuitMaker called AutoTRAX!  :-+

In 1981 I developed the first version of AutoTRAX on DOS (Not the Protel version) but decided not to sell it. It had a maze auto-router and that's why I called it AutoTRAX. I used the software to develop an AutoCAD add-on. I even formed a limited company AutoTRAX Ltd. back in 1981. I never knew about Protel.
I restarted AutoTRAX in 2000 after being fleeced of $1000 US for an educational copy of Multisim/Ultiboard. I though I had purchase the full version (Well I paid $1000!) but they were functions missing. So I thought S#D it, here goes.... The rest is history.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:14:03 pm by Iliya »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 03:19:07 pm »

Thanks, that all sounds really good. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

By the way, what made you decide to make the hobby version free?

My first ever contract was with Apricot Computers in Birmingham, England. I wrote all the test software for their computers (except the hard drive). The software tested the computers and did burn-in test in production. I wrote an O/S that loaded the programs and ran them. Even did a simple GUI menu. After a few months I went down to manufacturing and saw my program running on 100’s of computers. So satisfying and that’s partly why!

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=499&st=1

I also hate the dishonest pricing policy of ALL of the commercial EDA companies out there. It’s like selling a 4 seater car but there are chains on the back seat that will be unlocked when you pay the extra $$$.
See http://pcb-design-software.com/Newsletter/Cancun

I was loathed to do a free version and preferred one price. However, this was keeping people from using it so I finally gave in. But I still refuse to locks the back seats so no limits except for non-commercial use. Hopefully more people will get to use my ‘baby’  - AutoTRAX.  :)

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:26 pm »
I will certainly try this out.  I've not created my own PCBs before and battled for hours with Eagle and its awful UI just to re-create a fairly straightforward schematic for a board I want to modify.  I'd have done better putting the layout file in Photoshop or Powerpoint and modifying that directly!

Anthony

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »
I wish I could run this via Crossover/Wine. Is this anything that could be fixed?

Edit: After I close that dialog, it proceeds to run the splash screen, where the progress bar appears to oscillate forever.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:45:29 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »
a word of friendly advice : please please please remove the horrible pcb layout  you use in the images on your website.
take a moment to grab a properly laid-out board and use that in your marketing material. something medium to high density with surface mounted parts and properly laid out traces.

i can tell you first impressions matter. i showed this to a couple of friends. their first reaction invariably was : looks like a crappy tool , look at what a mess that board is.. they were judging your program by the quality of the layout shown on your website !  i know it is wrong because that layout says nothing about the capabilities of the program. it only says that whoever made that layout is a baboon.

but perception counts !

like i said friendly advice. that board is horrendous.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 04:40:12 pm »
a word of friendly advice : please please please remove the horrible pcb layout  you use in the images on your website.
take a moment to grab a properly laid-out board and use that in your marketing material. something medium to high density with surface mounted parts and properly laid out traces.

I second this so much. The software looks good, but you demonstrate it being used to create shite. It's not a very good advertisement ::)

Also, I personally think the slideshow of random PCB images that are clearly not done with your software is a bit dodgy. Doesn't seem right to advertise with layouts done in other packages. Though, that's just me...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:24 pm »

I second this so much. The software looks good, but you demonstrate it being used to create shite. It's not a very good advertisement ::)

Also, I personally think the slideshow of random PCB images that are clearly not done with your software is a bit dodgy. Doesn't seem right to advertise with layouts done in other packages. Though, that's just me...

Try this ... [url=http://schematic-software.com/]http://schematic-software.com/[/url]

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:53 pm »
same problem.
i circled the eye-popping stuff.
if you show this kind of 'artwork' to anyone that does PCB design they will walk away from your software without even trying it.

It's like having a Aston Martin dealership, but all cars are covered in mud , the carpet is ratty , the windows haven't been washed in years , the wallpaper is peeling off , the door is hanging crooked in its hinges and the salesguy welcomes you wearing a green suit ( that was originally black ), greasy hair and smelling like wee.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 05:33:57 pm »
here is another one

that board was not routed. it is just a collection of orthogonal lines. everything has square pads apart from r4 ? what makes r4 special ?
and then everything was crammed in under the chip on bottom layer creating a wave mess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf