Author Topic: Answer for "where do you see yourself in 5 years"( interview question?  (Read 8788 times)

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
Re: Answer for "where do you see yourself in 5 years"( interview question?
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2017, 11:29:08 am »
I think this sums up this thread nicely.

https://youtu.be/zP0sqRMzkwo

The following users thanked this post: hans, Richard Crowley

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:59 pm »
I always hate that question because it's hard to figure out what they want.  Me personally I don't like jumping around, so I am tempted to answer "in the same role", but for some employers, they may not like that because it will make me look lazy.  But if I say "in a better role" then it will make them think they are wasting their time because they won't get to keep me for long or I'm just using them as a stepping stone etc.    It seems there is no right answer to that question as it really depends their intention in asking it.

I've been lucky myself when it comes to jobs though, either I'd turn out to be the only applicant, or I knew someone and the interview process was just formality and I knew I was getting it anyway.  I find with most jobs it's who you know not what you know that matters.   I was in an IT job for several years and when I left for another position I saw the job position come up to replace me, and I did not even quality for my own job.  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2017, 07:35:58 am »
I always hate that question because it's hard to figure out what they want.  Me personally I don't like jumping around, so I am tempted to answer "in the same role", but for some employers, they may not like that because it will make me look lazy.  But if I say "in a better role" then it will make them think they are wasting their time because they won't get to keep me for long or I'm just using them as a stepping stone etc.    It seems there is no right answer to that question as it really depends their intention in asking it.

I've been lucky myself when it comes to jobs though, either I'd turn out to be the only applicant, or I knew someone and the interview process was just formality and I knew I was getting it anyway.  I find with most jobs it's who you know not what you know that matters.   I was in an IT job for several years and when I left for another position I saw the job position come up to replace me, and I did not even quality for my own job.  :-DD
Don't try to figure out what they want. A job interview is as much you interviewing them as it is them interviewing them. If there's no match, you will only suffer by pretending you want something they do not want. If answering the question the "wrong" way, you probably wouldn't have been happy anyway.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2017, 12:51:47 pm »
Don't try to figure out what they want. A job interview is as much you interviewing them as it is them interviewing them. If there's no match, you will only suffer by pretending you want something they do not want. If answering the question the "wrong" way, you probably wouldn't have been happy anyway.

The big hint is in the name: inter-view, inter - between, view - looking.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2017, 02:03:56 pm »
Absolutely;
Both the company must feel that it is in their benefit to hire you, as one must feel that it is a wise choice to work for that particular company.

Having said that....in a market slump, or in an area where the jobs are scarce, or after a person has been unemployed for quite a while, unfortunately the companies have significantly much more leverage than the individual has.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2017, 02:10:39 pm »
The big hint is in the name: inter-view, inter - between, view - looking.
Apparently the origin is french:

"early 16th century (formerly also as enterview ): from French entrevue, from s'entrevoir ‘see each other’, from voir ‘to see’, on the pattern of vue ‘a view’."

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2017, 08:57:21 pm »
I'll be (still) collecting social security, hopefully still playing around with electronics, if I'm not casting a fly on a trout stream. Drinking fine New York reisling wine to go with my wild trout dinner.  :-+
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:20 am »
Having said that....in a market slump, or in an area where the jobs are scarce, or after a person has been unemployed for quite a while, unfortunately the companies have significantly much more leverage than the individual has.

That's the main issue, these days getting a good paying job is hard, as most companies are in downsizing mode and doing mass layoffs, so if a good job comes up you want to bend over backwards for it.  Should not be that way but sadly how it is.

I see lot of IT/tech related jobs show up around here but most pay minimum wage.  Some also have ridiculous expectations in hopes nobody applies, so that they can just hire a TFW.   My favourite is when they want 10 years of experience in something that has not even been out that long.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf