Author Topic: Fun things to do with CD/DVD?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fun things to do with CD/DVD?
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:34 am »
I was wondering about any and all fun electronics related things to do with a CD/DVD disc - not drive (besides actually using it to store data, unless it is by some DIY method which would likely not be useful).

Do you know of any to share?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Fun things to do with CD/DVD?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:50:48 am »
Pin it up on a board and try to get all your shots in the X ring (center hole)  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: kalel

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:56:47 am »
You could buld your own optical spectroscope:

http://www.bernd-loibl.de/spectra.html   Sorry, the site is in german, but maybe google translate can help.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, BravoV, kalel

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:53:15 am »
Microwaving them is fun.

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, kalel

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:56:14 pm »
 Years ago when we cleaned up our office we found stacks and stacks of old software CDs, as tend to build up after years in the computer business. So for a while we had fun tossing one up and whacking it with a baseball bat. Great fun, however cleaning up the floor afterwards was a bit of a chore. Pieces were found in various corners for months.

When struck with force, a CD will shatter into tons of small fragments of acrylic plastic.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:01 pm »
I use 4 to keep Herons away from my fish pond.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:42 pm »
Attach them to a high speed spindle such as a rotary tool and spin them up until they shatter. Make sure you are out of the path when this happens though. I did it with an AOL CD in my bedroom when I was about 14 holding it over my head and I found bits of CD stuck in the walls. Years later I was still finding small flakes hiding in areas the vacuum couldn't easily reach.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:27:27 pm »
TV ad from a few years back here in NZ.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:20:19 pm »
Attach them to a high speed spindle such as a rotary tool and spin them up until they shatter. Make sure you are out of the path when this happens though. I did it with an AOL CD in my bedroom when I was about 14 holding it over my head and I found bits of CD stuck in the walls. Years later I was still finding small flakes hiding in areas the vacuum couldn't easily reach.

I watched a pioneer slot loading drive do this to someone’s entire life works backup DVD once.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
Must have been a flaw in the disc because those drives didn't spin anywhere near as fast as a rotary tool. I had one of those slot load DVD drives, I bought it initially because it was SCSI. Used it for years, finally sold the old PC it was in just a couple years ago.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:25:32 am »
I use them as bird scarers on my vegitable patch, saves me building an electronic one  ;)

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:17 am »
Must have been a flaw in the disc because those drives didn't spin anywhere near as fast as a rotary tool. I had one of those slot load DVD drives, I bought it initially because it was SCSI. Used it for years, finally sold the old PC it was in just a couple years ago.

The disk was definitely cracked for it to explode like that. Plus a stupid bug the pioneer drives did which was if it couldn't read the disk TOC it would spin the disk up as fast as it could for some reason. If you put a fucked up disk in one it'd go mental. We had one eject a spinning disk as well which was interesting as it popped out, hit the floor and shot off under a cupboard. Didn't have that much momentum; was more a slow comedy speed :)

Then we bought Plextor drives in.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:33 pm »
I've been meaning to try driving the spindle motor in an old CD/DVD drive with one of my RC BLDC speed controllers to see how fast I can make it go. I've done that with a broken server hard drive spindle and the thing sounded like a jet engine spooling up. It kept accelerating until I reached the current limit of my bench PSU delivering around 24V. I was actually slightly concerned about catastrophic mechanical failure, that stack of ~8 platters spinning at probably 20k+ RPM has a LOT of kinetic energy.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 07:10:57 pm »
They are the raw material of creativity.  They are great circle templates for two hole sizes.  A durable leveling pad for that wobbly bench.  A sort of durable carpet protector for benches and tables.  Two with three standoffs makes the basics of a round project box.  Two or more fixed at an angle to a hub make a propeller, which can be an even more effective bird scarer.  The ammunition for a supersized disc gun.  A good start towards a miniature Wimshurst machine.

Add a heat gun and they become lids and covers for many things.

Time to fire up a variant of the TRIZ methodology for solutions looking for a problem.  TRIZ as normally employed looks for solutions to a problem.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 07:41:50 pm »
I've been meaning to try driving the spindle motor in an old CD/DVD drive with one of my RC BLDC speed controllers to see how fast I can make it go. I've done that with a broken server hard drive spindle and the thing sounded like a jet engine spooling up. It kept accelerating until I reached the current limit of my bench PSU delivering around 24V. I was actually slightly concerned about catastrophic mechanical failure, that stack of ~8 platters spinning at probably 20k+ RPM has a LOT of kinetic energy.

If you do that, make sure you video it and post it :)

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:51:58 pm »
I'm a nutjob who still uses CDs and DVDs to hold my data. One idea is scraping the media off the disc, heating it up with fire, and blowing bubbles with it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:13:00 pm »

In my younger, more foolish, days I did the same thing with a scrap 14" RL02 removable platter and hub and an electric drill. I had it just sitting with the conical recess on top of the chuck. Luckily it jumped off before it got to the full drill speed, but it took off around the room like a scalded cat! It took a few chunks out of the plaster on the walls before hitting the floor. When it stopped spinning, it had a fringe of burnt/melted carpet around its rim.

It was only afterwards that I realized that I could have decapitated and/or  killed myself!  ::) I guess you could do yourself some serious damage with CD shrapnel too!
Best Regards, Chris

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:18:38 pm »
the slo mo guys blew up a disc, in real slow motion.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »

In my younger, more foolish, days I did the same thing with a scrap 14" RL02 removable platter and hub and an electric drill. I had it just sitting with the conical recess on top of the chuck. Luckily it jumped off before it got to the full drill speed, but it took off around the room like a scalded cat! It took a few chunks out of the plaster on the walls before hitting the floor. When it stopped spinning, it had a fringe of burnt/melted carpet around its rim.

It was only afterwards that I realized that I could have decapitated and/or  killed myself!  ::) I guess you could do yourself some serious damage with CD shrapnel too!

Hah! That's quite an image!

I did something vaguely similar with a flywheel on a capstan shaft from an old cassette deck. I put it in the chuck of a rotary tool and slowly spun it up to probably 20,000 RPM. Then the polished shaft walked its way out of the chuck and the flywheel dropped down onto the carpet, did a burnout complete with a puff of smoke and then took off across the room at crazy speed. Smacked straight into the door and repeatedly bounced about a foot off the ground trying to roll straight up the door before it lost enough speed to settle into place and melt another small patch in the carpet.

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 11:02:19 pm »
I had one of those little cheap RS540 motor based 12v drills when I was a kid. So many missed opportunities for carnage I am seeing now I look back :-DD

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 12:34:56 am »
The 52x and 56x drives ran at a minimum above 10k rpm which is up where a typical electric rotary tool will operate, there are people trying to extrapolate the constant linear velocity scaling of audio CDs to the speed multipliers of CD-ROMs but for the high speed drives they were driven with constant angular velocity. I'm unsure drives would run above 20k rpm as thats close to the failure speed of brand new CDs with no visible flaws.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 01:40:44 am »
The 52x and 56x drives ran at a minimum above 10k rpm which is up where a typical electric rotary tool will operate, there are people trying to extrapolate the constant linear velocity scaling of audio CDs to the speed multipliers of CD-ROMs but for the high speed drives they were driven with constant angular velocity. I'm unsure drives would run above 20k rpm as thats close to the failure speed of brand new CDs with no visible flaws.

The slot load drive wasn't that fast, if I remember correctly it was 32x. Still spun the disc up pretty fast but not as fast as some of the later ones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf