Author Topic: Funny component packaging!  (Read 3967 times)

Offline shadewindTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Funny component packaging!
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »
Okay, so I ordered a bunch of stuff from Farnell, among other things, three ATMega8A-MU. When I got the package, it looked suspiciously large for a bunch of small components and when I opened it, I was greeted by this package:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2462319/IMG_0026.JPG

The label said it was the ATMegas that I ordered but I sort of expected it to arrive in a little bad with cut tape. I was ready to call Farnell and tell them "Hey, you sent me the wrong frickin' product!" when I got curious and opened the package:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2462319/IMG_0024.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2462319/IMG_0025.JPG

Lo and behold, there they are! Three tiny chips on a very big tray. It feels like the tray costs more than the chips to be honest.

So if I want to order more of them, am I going to end up with lots of trays? Any similar stories to share? :)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Funny component packaging!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:16 pm »
hehe, yeah,

I posted a thread about Digikeys heat shrink packaging a while back and someone else did a thread on some other weird packing they received. If you have a search you might be able to find them.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:15:00 pm »
Theres 2 threads about heatshrink coming in huge boxes, iirc from Farnell

I had them courier a big box with just a flux pen in it, next day from the uk. It was a backorder from an order that arrived the day before
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »
That's the industry standard packaging for QFPs, TSOPs etc - pick/place machines have stackers that load these trays. This is how they come to Farnell from the manufacturer (as full trays) - they sometimes repack in their blister-packs, but if they're at the end of a tray they just send the tray.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »
I had them courier a big box with just a flux pen in it, next day from the uk. It was a backorder from an order that arrived the day before

When I ordered a flux pen from them it arrived via courier and packaged separately in a box that was bigger than the one containing the rest of the order, both sent the same day.  I presume the flux is classified as a hazardous substance or as requiring special handling (e.g. 'must courier as Royal Mail won't accept it' perhaps), since you're the fourth person I've seen mention such an experience!

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:39:48 pm »
Lol! Peebs wake up! It costs Farnells, Digikey etc Big money to dispose of it's waste. Courier costs are bulk paid and so individual items are not an issue. By off loading it's packaging on to you they save in two ways
1. They save on repackaging
2. They save on disposal costs
They are simply shuffling their waste problem on to you. Even if the item is 'recyclable' the actual admin costs far outway the monetary returns. What will you do with the plastic tray? exactly bin it. Then it goes to landfill at NO cost to them. Parcel it up and send it back, at least that way it's their problem once more.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »
When I ordered a flux pen from them it arrived via courier and packaged separately in a box that was bigger than the one containing the rest of the order, both sent the same day.  I presume the flux is classified as a hazardous substance or as requiring special handling (e.g. 'must courier as Royal Mail won't accept it' perhaps), since you're the fourth person I've seen mention such an experience!

Ah! This could be the case, i'm not sure if it was a backorder, i just assumed at the time
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline PStevenson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »

if I ever get packaging like that, which has obviously been sent out of laziness or to get rid of their rubbish (end of trays etc) I send it back to them (I get free postage) it really pisses me off because there is such a big thing about recycling here you only have so much room for certain types of materials. it happens quite often but I always attach a note to explain why it has been sent back to them.
I learned more from the EEVBlog than I did in school
http://youtu.be/s-TK0zaakNk
 Amp Hour Theme Song Full Version http://youtu.be/buKg2eAX4Z0

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:50:10 pm »
I'm usually quite happy to see them come in on trays at work - I can put them straight on the SMD machine.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf