Author Topic: Ghost/stray voltages and LoZ multimeters  (Read 15446 times)

Offline cte7dsTopic starter

• Contributor
  • hello world
    • my github
Ghost/stray voltages and LoZ multimeters
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »
When repairing and hacking mains powered stuff I often find that a multimeter with LoZ feature would be real handy. Not many multimeters have that though, are there any simple tricks to take LoZ measurement with a typical HiZ multimeter? I'm close to just spending the $200 on ebay to get a Fluke 117 just because it has the Auto-V/LoZ and that seems so terribly handy. Or are there any cheaper multimeters that also have this feature?

Offline Tooms

• Supporter
Re: Ghost/stray voltages and LoZ multimeters
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:48:07 pm »

Hi

what about buying this one and then you can reuse it on all your meter

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/accessories/batteries-chargers-and-adapters/sv225.htm?PID=56696

tooms

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:53:00 pm »
You could just put a load resistor across the meter leads. Something like ten K Ohm in a small box with suitable sockets so that you can connect it in front of your meter.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »
IsoTech ICM A9 is one.

Offline cte7dsTopic starter

• Contributor
  • hello world
    • my github
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »

Hi

what about buying this one and then you can reuse it on all your meter

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/accessories/batteries-chargers-and-adapters/sv225.htm?PID=56696

tooms
Seems to only be easily available in the US. Where can you get that in Europe?

You could just put a load resistor across the meter leads. Something like ten K Ohm in a small box with suitable sockets so that you can connect it in front of your meter.
Hmm perhaps a little box with a 10k power resistor and two alligator clips coming out of it?

alm

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35:58 pm »
At 600V, a 10k resistor will dissipate 36W. 100W at 1000V. And this is without accounting for transients. That's gotta be one big power resistor. My guess is that Fluke puts something like a thermistor in series to limit the current to sane levels.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:53:30 pm »
Make it half a meg then,500,000 K ohms or even one meg.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:08:28 pm »
Probably some thermistor or similar.

Instruction Sheet for Fluke SV225 says:

Specifications
Voltages up to 1000 volts continuous can be safely applied to
the Adapter without damage.
Operation Temperature
-20 °C to +55 °C (-40 °F to 131 °F)
Altitude
2,000 Meters Operating
Humidity
90 % at 0 to 35 °C (32 °F to 95 °F), 70 % at 35 to 55 °C
(95 °F to 131 °F)
Nominal Resistance
3,000 ? @ 25 °C (77 °F)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 07:47:49 pm »
I would think it uses a PTC thermistor, so it draws a semi constant power over the voltage range. You find a similar one in the cheap voltstick devices.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:26:26 pm »
Or are there any cheaper multimeters that also have this feature?
I'm not an electrican, but if I understand your question properly and assuming you don't need to measure current, the Fluke 113 also supports the LoZ feature and can be found on ebay.com (USA) for as little as $30 USD for an used one.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-113.htm?PID=55990

The Agilent U1231A also supports LoZ ($99 USD).

http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-2000219-pn-U1231A/true-rms-6000-count-handheld-digital-multimeter-basic

I have used the Fluke 113 and 117 and there is no difference in feel, ergonomics, etc other than the missing functionality between the two.

alm

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:10 pm »
Make it half a meg then,500,000 K ohms or even one meg.
How about just 10 Mohm? You need a low impedance to discharge parasitic capacitances. You need a certain amount of current to flow for this. For it to be functional across the input voltage range, I would indeed expect a semi-constant current sink like a PTC thermistor.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 10:09:20 pm »
10 meg is to high, I just gave the input impedance for the AVO that I use when I don't want problems from ghost voltages. In fact that is what I would recommend for working on mains circuits as it wont blow up in your hand whatever you do, the trip will go and you just reset it.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:36 pm »
This is why AVO meters were so damn good, and were the weapon of choice on most repair benches!

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:07:52 am »
Good old Fluke 12 for repairing stuff is unbeatable! Field proven, I used one for over 10 years.

Very accurate, very fast MinMax, capacity measurement. Just switch it to Diode or Resistance and if there is a voltage present it automaticaly switches to voltage, AC or DC LoZ, with resistor of 2K in parallel, if I remember correctly.

This prevents false and confusing reading when testing resistors or diodes in the circuit, if voltage is present. Basicaly Fluke 12 switches to voltage mode to tell you that there is a voltage present and that readings may be inaccurate while at the same time discharges voltage from capacitors in order to take measurement.

Other multimeters, such as Fluke 87V, will give you some reading instead and at the end you are not sure if that is correct reading on multimeter is confused with voltage in the circuit.

Ebay sometimes has Fluke 12 for as low as $30.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 05:56:50 am »
This is why AVO meters were so damn good, and were the weapon of choice on most repair benches!
They were used because nothing else was available/affordable (depending how far back in the past we look) and they are used now because of nostalgia and because they work for some basic measurements. While in some cases you might like some resistance in the order of kOhms to get rid of your "stray" voltages having that resistance all the time there will mess up your measurements considerably, especially if you work with low voltages (not like in mV but like in "anything you would touch"). We are talking about kOhms per volt here, probing anything but the power rails is next to useless unless and can be easily dangerous for your circuit. You can also damage the meter by probing a highish voltage on the lower ranges. Thanks, but no thanks - I would rather have the regular "digital" multi-MOhm (or even GOhm) meter, if low impedance is needed I'm sure I can find a resistor somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf