Author Topic: Gnu/Linux Considered Harmful  (Read 45770 times)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Gnu/Linux Considered Harmful
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2018, 11:46:31 am »
Please come back once you had to maintain a large software system that has to be both multi-platform and support multiple toolchains (e.g. Visual C++ and gcc/clang).
[...]

Hey -- are you one of them pesky Millenials, by any chance, with all their newfangled stuff?
Back in my day, one platform was more than enough for us, and it was made of wood! 

;) ;)

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2018, 11:59:05 am »
When a Windows installer makes a mess of your system by installing all sorts of random crap all over the machine (drivers, background services, updater, DRM ...) and/or fails at it, nobody seems to blame Windows for it neither.

You might be surprised.  I shipped some USB 2.0-based hardware at a point in time when USB 3.0 was still relatively new.  It turned out that my firmware had a malformed device descriptor entry that caused Windows to BSOD immediately after the device was plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  The first customer who reported it blamed Windows, not me.  "Hey, just thought you'd like to know about this," was how he phrased it, rather than, "Hey, dumbass, fix this stupid thing or refund my money," which would have been entirely appropriate.

With all the quality problems associated with Windows 10, I suspect that this scenario would play out exactly the same way today.  It's a shame that Linux isn't better-positioned to take a share of the desktop market away from Microsoft.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2018, 12:15:03 pm »
When a Windows installer makes a mess of your system by installing all sorts of random crap all over the machine (drivers, background services, updater, DRM ...) and/or fails at it, nobody seems to blame Windows for it neither.

You might be surprised.  I shipped some USB 2.0-based hardware at a point in time when USB 3.0 was still relatively new.  It turned out that my firmware had a malformed device descriptor entry that caused Windows to BSOD immediately after the device was plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  The first customer who reported it blamed Windows, not me.  "Hey, just thought you'd like to know about this," was how he phrased it, rather than, "Hey, dumbass, fix this stupid thing or refund my money," which would have been entirely appropriate.

With all the quality problems associated with Windows 10, I suspect that this scenario would play out exactly the same way today.  It's a shame that Linux isn't better-positioned to take a share of the desktop market away from Microsoft.
The fact that you had a bad USB descriptor entry is your bug. The fact that you bug BSoD'd Windows is Microsoft's bug. IMO, their bug is worse than your bug.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2018, 12:17:40 pm »
* Lack of compatibility between Linux distros - the are actually compatible fairly well but if you are worried about this, pick one that is well supported and stick with it (and software distribution issues are addressed below).
The problem is, some subtle differences can be catastrophic. For a start because they seem to be the same, but.

* Systemd bashing - can we, please, finally drop this nonsense fight? Most people who complain about it here seem to do so basically only because:

a) it is different than what they were used to
I have nothing against "different" as long as there is an improvement. However I don't like Christmas trees and new stuff for the sake of it.

I have criticized a lot "different" stuff in Linux. Not because of being different, but because it turns out to be much worse. Take for example useless important commands such as ifconfig (which they will probably kill and replace with a dhcpcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcd), netstat, and the more recent "ip" crap which is beyond ridicule.

b) it is "not unix philosophy"
I think that the Unix philosophy proved some technical merit beyond any doubt long ago. So, yes, deviating from it is not good unless a benefit is shown. Is it? No. Carry on, no political issue here.

Lennart Poettering is an ass -  :blah:, that's more a political than technical discussion
Except when it affects his response to security and reliability issues. Such an important element of an OS must be simple and straightforward.

c) it has to be some evil conspiracy pushed on everyone by Redhat -  :palm: - it actually improves compatibility between the distros (complaint above - before every distro used to have different init setup, different init scripts, different way of handling system services and supporting that when writing and distributing software was a nightmare).
Yes, why don't we ditch the Posix APIs and adopt Win32 for Unix systems? We will improve compatibility!  :box: :box:

Also most people have no clue what systemd really does and why (no, it isn't just an init system and there are good reasons for it). Yes, it is different than just a bunch of scripts symlinked from /etc/rc.d but it is not that different or complicated to use and there are plenty of advantages (such as automatic supervision of your services).
Complicated, overloaded -> bad.

I do, actually. When did the geniuses discover that it might be a good idea to keep different versions of shared libraries and keep different directories for system and application provided shared libraries? Of course the infamous 8.3 file names made it harder.

In many cases it's not a fault of a clueless developer, but a fault of an uneducated developer who has grown up in a patethical environment, which is very different. It's like the BIOS firmware prompts doing the typical BASIC programmer thing: "CLS". That simple, stupid practice forces you to record a video of a booting computer when you need to see what's wrong. Amazing!

I always joked that the world would be so different security wise if the people who perpetrated Windows had read and understood a single book at the right time: "Computers Under Attack" by Peter Denning. Not a big job!

They should have learned that other systems already provided shared library versioning.

Exhibit 1 from 1987 ;)

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=98E82310CD0C5053C7E8A9AE732656D7?doi=10.1.1.37.9514&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2018, 12:32:50 pm »
Just a point in systemd bashing. This, from my perspective is a technical issue, not a political one and I'm not bashing it. It is just 100% architecturally flawed due to the messaging and coupling model and Poettering and Redhat have been in total denial about it because they have an agenda to control this space. This is not game over on this front. It's an ongoing fight. I know three companies with cases open that have not been resolved yet.

Background, and I've had this a hundred times or so right up to the latest systemd version shipped with CentOS 7 just myself. I'm not talking about pissy single desktops here or a couple of people. I'm talking 500+ node clusters with nodes hosed. Now what tends to happen is that they are running either ansible or large nomad clusters for deployment. At some point systemd and DBus just stops responding so half way through a red/green cluster deployment, 10% of your nodes suddenly stop responding to systemd commands with the following error:

Failed to open connection to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

Incidentally you then can't just bounce the nodes because systemctl stops responding to this. You have to physically bounce the node from the hypervisor. An then a percentage of those nodes drop straight into recovery. At this point there's no point in recovering them so you just redeploy any nodes that failed. This is HORRID and WINDOWS-LIKE. There I said it.

There are so many bugs and so much complexity because the entire system is stateful and the state is not transparent.

This is one fucking great big whopper of a problem.

The only consolation is things like docker where you can push this away into LXC, lose the hypervisor and have one systemd to deal with instead of one per instance.

Also to note, if I'd hired Poettering I'd have fired him after the third fuck up. I think we're on about 50 now?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:36:17 pm by bd139 »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2018, 12:37:53 pm »
It's a shame that Linux isn't better-positioned to take a share of the desktop market away from Microsoft.

Yes, I agree. But the type of discussion we are just having here in this thread is a big part of the reason why Linux is not better positioned:

There are just too many opinions (many of them with good arguments in their favor) on the direction to take with various aspects of the system. And, due to the open source nature, it is too easy to branch of yet another Linux distribution, or desktop, or mechanism to distribute software packages.

All very well for a technical hobby, and probably good for advancing the general state of the art software technology, by exploring the pros and cons of many options. But terrible if your goal is an easy-to-use, easy-to-learn software product.

Yes, Windows is far from perfect. But at least, if I Google for advice on a Windows 10 related question, I come up with hits which actually refer to the OS I use (rather than one of a plethora of flavors, where the information I find may or may not be relevant to my system)...

I don't think Linux will ever be ready for general consumer use unless the developer community can put individual ambitions and vanity behind, and can agree on one "ready to use" Linux distribution. (But then, where would be the fun in that?  ::))

The following users thanked this post: ajb, tooki

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2018, 12:41:46 pm »
I don't think Linux will ever be ready for general consumer use unless the developer community can put individual ambitions and vanity behind, and can agree on one "ready to use" Linux distribution. (But then, where would be the fun in that?  ::))
There is another serious issue. The Holy Church of Licenseology.

(Corrected the spelling of Licenseology to a better form)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:54 pm »

:) get some laughs reading these thread, thanks all for that!

In fact, now you need to watch to a 15 minute Youtube video a nerd has recorded just to know that. I cannot see the point at all in:
  • some guy spending hours recording a video
  • thousands of people spending 15' watching that video
when all needed is small number of written lines  |O

Regards.

That's the thing I find *very* scary.  The general English speaking population is losing (loosing ;-) any semblance of language skills.  The university classes consist of the instructor reading the textbook to the students. It is quite literally the Tower of Babel story from the Bible playing out around us.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:12 pm »
So *please* if you work on programs which have their roots in AT&T/BSD Unix, don't break existing behavior.

This is true for a lot of things, not just an OS. 

As for LINUX, I play (best term I could come up with)  with it every few years.  I would guess the last time I played with it was more than five years ago.  I would bet if I looked at Octave for example, it is still basically packaged as a 32-bit program.  I would also guess building it for 64-bit will require spending countless hours hunting down various bits and fragments, making several builds and picking the least broken version.   

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2018, 01:46:40 pm »
when the build process fails on a large project with a page full of dependencies with a large range of supported versions you're up shit creek regardless.

These large projects need to optimize for the common case where you can automate/hide the complexity of configuration of the build process, they need something like autoconf. If it makes life harder when it does fail, well sucks to be you.

If you are using regular makefiles a build fail is a piece of cake.  You get a bunch of mesages from the compiler telling you what is wrong.  Can't find include file, can't find function, etc.   All of those are easily rectified in a few minutes using find(1), fgrep(1) and nm(1).  It's the perfect example of why Ken Thompson remarked "Never underestimate the value of brute force."

For example, suppose you encounter undefined variables.

find /usr/include -name '*.h' -exec fgrep -f missing_vars {} \;

I'd have an awk script to construct missing_vars from the compiler messages.

Undefined functions are very similar

find /lib /usr/lib -name 'lib*' -exec nm -Ago {} \; | fgrep -f missing_funcs

I took on at least three 500,000+ line codebases which would not compile as received by me.  The longest time it took to get the mess building was about 6 weeks.  That was only because the two guys who wrote the programs hadn't checked all the code into RCS and it usually took them a few days to find a missing file and check it in.  Once I had that going, I went on to the next one.  I was also building the make system as I went.

The code was so buggy, that I set things up so that if a user typed "foo" it looked in a table of user ids and program versions and if there was a version for that user ran that instead of the regular version.  I had to do that because I was often fixing different bugs in the same program during the course of a single day.  Once everything was tested, it became the standard version and the user specific versions went away.

You do need to understand the linker and library behavior of the system.  On *really* old systems prior to ranlib(1) when you had to use lorder(1) and tsort(1) to construct the library you could run into pathological cases which could only be fixed by putting two copies of the function in the library.

With Gnu make all you need is

ARCH=`uname -a | awk '{.....}' `

include ./config/$(ARCH)

and write the makefile to *only* call system executables by the variable name defined in the ARCH file.  As you can do arbitrary string processing easily, you can patch over pretty much any system variations.

That has a single layer of indirection.  The *only* thing you need to do to configure for a new system is write the ARCH file.  The problem with imake, autoconf and similar is that there are so many transient files being used and an error in any one makes the whole mess fall over like the little man in the sys admin interface of AIX circa 1994.

I started the thread as I did because it was really intended for old folks.  But I've been very impressed by a lot of the comments.  I just wish it were practical to read all of it.  It's huge fun, but it grew too fast to keep up with.

Edit:  I *think* I've managed to read all the salient comments.  Naturally some things were said by several people.  The greatest pleasure is it is an intelligent discussion of the problems posed by complexity and fragmentation which was my intent.  I'm sure we have not saved the world, but it's truly wonderful to be able to converse with such a smart and diverse group of people.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:00:48 pm by rhb »

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:37 pm »
The code was so buggy, that I set things up so that if a user typed "foo" it looked in a table of user ids and program versions and if there was a version for that user ran that instead of the regular version.  I had to do that because I was often fixing different bugs in the same program during the course of a single day.  Once everything was tested, it became the standard version and the user specific versions went away.
Problem is, you don't seem to be a quichevore ;)

http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/RPDEQ.html

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:52 pm »
Problem is, you don't seem to be a quichevore ;)

http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/RPDEQ.html

LOL  But those are not real programmers.  They're trainees.  Now Mel Kaye was a *real* programmer.  Sadly I couldn't find a link to the original prose post, just the free verse variants.  But on one contract job I  formatted "The Story of Mel" as a man page so "man mel" brought it up.

On a serious note,  I have a *very* large computer science section in my library.  The two volume set by Henry Ledgard and John Tauer "Professional Software: Software Engineering Concepts  (vol I) and Programming Practice (vol II)" is by far the best general treatment, though Steve McConnell's books are also very good.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »
c) it has to be some evil conspiracy pushed on everyone by Redhat

It's not a conspiracy, but they have a commercial interest in having the development for as much of essential Linux architecture as possible in house. It limits surprise upstream changes and makes their maintenance easier, which they sell. If that means sidegrading existing code by rolling an alternative into the systemd/gnome behemoth ... well.

Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to capitalism.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:42:37 pm by Marco »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2018, 02:43:41 pm »
That's exactly it. They hired everyone apart from Linus.

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
This is why I usually have a policy of "from distribution repo only".

And that's a good policy to keep, since it provides more stable and consistency, but since in Debian Stretch only kicad 4 is on and someone asked about building kicad 5 on linuxand and that was a good oportunity to take chances. Also is good to provide feedback to developers in order to make it more stable to deploy on the packages repositories.  Take for example the Mozzila Firefox ESR that has passed from 5X to 6X version and kept the ESR, with the good feedback that was presented.

Even then there are cumulative updates to it and more ofthen that it used to be a year ago.
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2018, 06:27:08 pm »
I use Linux occasionally, but I don't like it for these simple reasons:

1) If you power down the PC when Linux is still running, 1 out of 5 times you will break Linux. That does not happen with other OS (at least Irix and Windows XP -> 10).
2) Getting a particular piece of software running is a huge pain if you happen do be using the "wrong" distro. I don't want to compile software. I want to install and use it. Compiling won't work straight 1 in 2 times.
3) You get a GUI. It works (often a bit corky and weird). But then you need to do something simple and search Google on how to do it, because you cannot find a straight forward way of doing it and bingo: you are at CLI level again. And guess what: more than often the supposed configuration file or whatever does not exist in the described folder.

My guess is that Linux will NEVER be a mainstream operating system. Too many cooks!

Regards,
Vitor

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2018, 06:36:51 pm »
1) If you power down the PC when Linux is still running, 1 out of 5 times you will break Linux. That does not happen with other OS (at least Irix and Windows XP -> 10).

No. Just, no.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2018, 07:22:28 pm »
No. Just, no.
It depends very much on the filesystem in use, the activity on the machine at the time of shutdown. IME, on ext2 filesystems, I'd say it's more like 1 in 50 as a worst case. On journaling filesystems, it's much closer to 0 in 50.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2018, 07:34:53 pm »
No. Just, no.
It depends very much on the filesystem in use, the activity on the machine at the time of shutdown. IME, on ext2 filesystems, I'd say it's more like 1 in 50 as a worst case. On journaling filesystems, it's much closer to 0 in 50.

Nobody this decade uses non-journaling filesystems, especially on a desktop (which is clearly the only thing he's concerned with).

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2018, 07:41:43 pm »
Haven’t seen ext2 for about 10 years.

ext4 / xfs now. Never breaks. Apart from when your resize xfs and it doesn’t up the inode count.

Ironically I’ve lost count of the amount of fucked up NTFS and HFS+ volumes I’ve seen just in the last 5 years. NTFS usually recovers fine though. I really don’t trust HFS+
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:43:22 pm by bd139 »

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »
In case it wasn't clear, I was trying to agree with the "this isn't a big deal in practice any more" side of the argument.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2018, 12:52:50 am »
CentOS 7 doesn't have a package for the mtd (memory technology device) tools.  So I'm having to build a kernel and I have been reminded of that great innovation of Gnu/Linux.  The progress spew with no information.

Mustn't alarm  anyone by reporting the actual commands, argument order and all that nasty compile and link details.  We'll just say we're compiling foo.o.  That should do.  Trust us.  We're *much* smarter than your are :-(

Of course, in a way I shouldn't be surprised.  I spent a lot of time over the years  fixing library link list ordering for people who didn't comprehend the implications of single pass linking.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:10 am »
CentOS 7 doesn't have a package for the mtd (memory technology device) tools.  So I'm having to build a kernel and I have been reminded of that great innovation of Gnu/Linux.  The progress spew with no information.

Mustn't alarm  anyone by reporting the actual commands, argument order and all that nasty compile and link details.  We'll just say we're compiling foo.o.  That should do.  Trust us.  We're *much* smarter than your are :-(

Of course, in a way I shouldn't be surprised.  I spent a lot of time over the years  fixing library link list ordering for people who didn't comprehend the implications of single pass linking.

make V=1

I know, it's not exactly 100% like everything which came before it, so it must be bad.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:48 am »

The fact that you had a bad USB descriptor entry is your bug. The fact that you bug BSoD'd Windows is Microsoft's bug. IMO, their bug is worse than your bug.

To be fair, the BSOD originated from the kernel-level driver for the USB root hub in question, which didn't come from MS but from a third-party vendor like Renesas or Intel or someone like that. 

I don't see how Linux would have behaved any differently in response to a critical fault at ring 0.  Whether a stereotypical Linux user would have blamed the OS, the root hub vendor, or the device vendor, I'm not sure, but I do tend to think the device vendor would have received the bulk of the negative feedback.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2018, 01:23:41 am »
To be fair, the BSOD originated from the kernel-level driver for the USB root hub in question, which didn't come from MS but from a third-party vendor like Renesas or Intel or someone like that. 

I don't see how Linux would have behaved any differently in response to a critical fault at ring 0.  Whether a stereotypical Linux user would have blamed the OS, the root hub vendor, or the device vendor, I'm not sure, but I do tend to think the device vendor would have received the bulk of the negative feedback.

It's likely it wouldn't bring the entire kernel down. USB, being subject to a great deal of horrible abuse as an external, hot pluggable interface, is generally assumed dangerous. Mind you, this is assuming you're not loading an unknown third party blob in - generally this stuff is taken care of properly in-house..

It's okay, though, Linux already gets huge amounts of flak for not working properly with $INSERT_USB_DEVICE_HERE because the vendors fail to comply with the appropriate specifications. Equally for proprietary firmwares crashing in ways which require convoluted, undocumented recovery procedures. Totally not the fault of the broken firmware which crashed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:25:27 am by Monkeh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf