Author Topic: good calculator program for Linux?  (Read 7558 times)

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
good calculator program for Linux?
« on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:42 pm »
Is there a good calculator program for Linux? kcalc is not bad for everyday work, but e.g. I don't like that in hex mode there are no floating point numbers, no reason for this. And there should be keyboard shortcuts for square etc., but maybe I just couldn't find them. Sometimes I use bc, good to have multiple lines, too, to see previous results, but should be some modern GUI, but should be still easy and fast to use, so no full worksheet program.

BTW, anyone noticed recently Microsoft fixed  the broken calc.exe in Windows 10 after 20 years or so? There is no Standard mode anymore (you know, this silly mode where 2+3*4=20), only Scientific and Programmer, and some new date calculations, which looks nice, I would like to have this in Linux, too. Or I didn't noticed this before. But IIRC last month or so there was still a Standard mode. And the keys are fixed: / and * work again for multiplication and division.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
Re: good calculator program for Linux?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:20:34 pm »
I use qalculate. I miss it when I'm not on Linux.

The following users thanked this post: laneboysrc

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »
Try using an HP calculator emulator. I suggest the HP48, 49, or 50G if you can find linux emulators. I personally use the 48 and 50G, and I am waiting for a HP Prime.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:44:41 pm »
This looks very nice, all features I asked for, like fractions with hex numbers, a history display of previous calculations, and a lot more :)
Just a quick question: couldn't find the "1/x" key, but I guess it is all customizable? Even the multiplication character can be changed (as a programmer I prefer *).

Try using an HP calculator emulator. I suggest the HP48, 49, or 50G if you can find linux emulators. I personally use the 48 and 50G, and I am waiting for a HP Prime.
HP calculators were always a bit cryptic for me, I never learned how to use RPN. And does it emulate the original calculator accurately with display? This would be a step back on a modern OS and big screen, with good to read true type fonts, menus, unlimited and easy to read history etc.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:46:12 pm »
Qalculate is my preferred calculator too. I really like that it can do calculations with units:
Code: [Select]

> (12V)²/2ohm

((12 * volt)^2) / (2 * ohm) = 72 W

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:15 pm »
This looks very nice, all features I asked for, like fractions with hex numbers, a history display of previous calculations, and a lot more :)
Just a quick question: couldn't find the "1/x" key, but I guess it is all customizable? Even the multiplication character can be changed (as a programmer I prefer *).

I'm not sure. I almost never use the keypad. The expression is just a text box so you can type in anything you want, almost like you would with code.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »

What hp48 emulator are you using, I checked recently and only found a couple really old ones that neither I could get working.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:37:46 pm »

What hp48 emulator are you using, I checked recently and only found a couple really old ones that neither I could get working.

I don't. I use my real 50G, and 48G if I need it in a pinch. I find having a single device helpful just for calculations instead of using a computer.

And RPN isn't hard to learn, take 4 + 5, in RPN that is

+

That's it, you enter in the letters into a vertical stack, and then the operator that would run between them. This is useful for functions like sin, cos, tan, and other functions that in a normal calculator you would need to use parentheses with, in RPN you can use these keypresses for the cos of 72

cos
=-967250588274

where in a Ti type algebraic environment you need to do

cos
)
enter(equals)

This is just a net improvement of one keystroke in RPN, but the stack can be very useful as I find it helps me jot down number I need later that I can just access later.

And with the 49G and onwards, it has CAS functionality allowing for you to put entire algebraic expressions in for it to solve. It also has neat features like an equation writer (Better on the 48G, never used the HP Prime version) for textbook style entry, and a famous programming interface allowing for RPL, and I think ASM coding.

And if push comes to shove, you can use the ' button to enter in regular algebraic expressions (No implied multiplication for some reason, so you would need to do 3*X instead of just 3X, only in regular Ti style entry, not textbook entry) or you can change it to a Ti similar mode where all expressions entered are Algebraic (Only on 49G and up I think).

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline LokiChaos

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 06:40:00 pm »
bc/dc are standard, and extremely powerful.
orpie is an RPN I personally like for simple things (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Orpie).
GNU Octave is a F/LOSS Matlab-like language, decidedly worth learning (if you know Matlab you basically know Octave).
Python, R, Maxima, and FORTRAN also all have their place… There is no lacking of options for math on *nix systems.

If you want a nice frontend to several of those, there is the QT-based Cantor ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_(software) ).

If I want to use an HP, I'll just use one of my actual HP calcs (or even my TIs).  I never found the various calculator applications as nice as proper mathematical tools (excepting orpie).

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 07:22:05 pm »
orpie is an RPN I personally like for simple things (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Orpie).
GNU Octave is a F/LOSS Matlab-like language, decidedly worth learning (if you know Matlab you basically know Octave).
Python, R, Maxima, and FORTRAN also all have their place… There is no lacking of options for math on *nix systems.

If you want a nice frontend to several of those, there is the QT-based Cantor ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_(software) ).

If I want to use an HP, I'll just use one of my actual HP calcs (or even my TIs).  I never found the various calculator applications as nice as proper mathematical tools (excepting orpie).

I find Ti calculators overpriced, under-powered, and poorly programmed. HP systems have better programming, faster processors, more options, and lower prices. The only reason why Ti can sell a Z80 on a stick for a hundred bucks is because they screwed the market Texas style.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 07:26:20 pm »

I don't. I use my real 50G, and 48G if I need it in a pinch. I find having a single device helpful just for calculations instead of using a computer.

Yea, same here, 48SX when I can but if I can't or need something on my laptop do you know a good emulator for linux?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:32:41 pm »

Yea, same here, 48SX when I can but if I can't or need something on my laptop do you know a good emulator for linux?

I sadly don't. I don't plan to main Linux as an operating system for another 4 years, and only if ReactOS doesn't do something.

Android has a couple, but I don't use them unless I have to.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »

I sadly don't. I don't plan to main Linux as an operating system for another 4 years, and only if ReactOS doesn't do something.

Add darn, when you replied 'use an emulator' to a question of 'calculator for linux' I assumed you knew of a calculator for linux.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 10:23:58 pm »

Add darn, when you replied 'use an emulator' to a question of 'calculator for linux' I assumed you knew of a calculator for linux.

I've never used a computer calculator except for really braindead stuff where I don't have my HP calculators with me.

And the reason I mentioned it was the fact I knew it existed, I just don't have exact examples I can recommend.

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 04:30:28 pm »
I use 'dc' for everything when I'm in front of the computer.  It does all the everyday things I need, and as a bonus it's a standard Unix tool that can be used in pipelines or in scripts, should it be necessary.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 04:54:18 pm »
http://www.hp-15c.homepage.t-online.de/content_web.htm

Or a spreadsheet for repeated calculations.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 05:18:44 pm »
My preference is XCalc, but I load it as 'xcalc -rpn', which puts it in RPN mode, otherwise it will be in algebraic mode.

Offline EarthLord

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 06:59:18 pm »
speedcrunch.org is quite good. It is a GPL based software and multi-platform.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 07:01:53 pm »
I haven't used a calculator on a PC since I learned what a spreadsheet is.

All the math you can eat, custom functions, scripting, unlimited ticker tape.

What's not to love?

Offline LokiChaos

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 08:04:58 pm »
I don't advise using a speadsheet for any serious maths.  Quick stuff is fine, but anything really serious it is woefully inadequate.  "What's not to love" is opaque built-in functions (especially stat stuff), known buggy behaviors of built-ins, limited precision, horrible plotting/graphing, known arithmetic errors, etc (at least speaking for MS Excel).  I'll use Gnumeric for some data input, but I export to a plaintext file and do any processing with tools made for the job.

Taking the time to learn how to use R, Matlab/Octave, or any other serious mathematical tools is well worth it.  Things like Lua and Python are just generally handy to know for tons of reasons as well.

And yeah, being able to script dc/bc is very handy.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 09:17:58 pm »
I don't advise using a speadsheet for any serious maths

Taking the time to learn how to use R, Matlab/Octave, or any other serious mathematical tools is well worth it.
Yes.

But who's talking about serious math? I thought we were talking about calculators. Don't do serious math on a calculator either!

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:21 pm »
A spreadsheet can be useful, but too complicated for simple tasks. E.g. if I just want to multiply 2 numbers, I need more keystrokes in Excel than in a simple calculator. Even worse for converting hex number to decimal and back, which is just one click on a useful calculator, but I had to search  how to do it at all in Excel (with the functions dec2hex and hex2dec). I'm using now Qalculate, really nice, thanks for all your suggestions.

Regarding the "1/x" function, I modified the source code of Qalculate, here is the pull-request (who needs factorial anyway?). If the author of the program likes it, it will be integrated in the next version. And I added some special code that makes it behave exactly like a normal calculator, see the comment in the pull request (this change doesn't affect the old behaviour which allows to enter formulas etc.). Now it is the perfect calculator for me :)

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »
Regarding the "1/x" function, I modified the source code of Qalculate, here is the pull-request
Now it is the perfect calculator for me :)
Nice!  ;D  Open source FTW!

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 12:42:57 pm »
Regarding the "1/x" function, I modified the source code of Qalculate, here is the pull-request
Now it is the perfect calculator for me :)
Nice!  ;D  Open source FTW!
Right, that's one of the main reasons for open source, to quote wikipedia "Users should be treated as co-developers". But doesn't happen very often, except for the big projects.

Hanna accepted my changes, so will be available in the next official release of Qalculate. Now someone has to port the program for my iPhone, including all the goodies like the integrated Gnuplot, currency conversion etc. ^-^

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 06:26:34 pm »
I've made a request/change to a couple open source projects myself in the past.  On the other side of the coin I've paid $200 each time to report a problem to Microsoft to have them issue a 'won't fix'.

/somewhat closer to being on topic but still somewhat off topic:  My HP48SX got me through college by teaching me math.  Since my high school didn't consider me college material I wasn't in any advanced math class, just the bare minimum that the state/federal required.  So when I got to engineering college I was a bit behind the curve.  Walking sample problems through the HP equation solver single stepping at a time I was able to follow the same patterns and passed the classes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:31:54 pm by eugenenine »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf