Author Topic: Good camera for electronics youtube videos  (Read 27548 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Good camera for electronics youtube videos
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 01:18:35 pm »
Power zooming with adjustable speed where the target remains in focus is really nice.  Power zooming with a fixed speed can be distracting, in videos, IMHO. If zooming cannot have an adjustable speed, manual zooming might often be better.  Manual focus and zooming with enlarged control surfaces to make their actions smoother.

An otherwise good video that has bad auto-focusing and/or jerky zooming that distracts from the content by suddenly starting and stopping is substantially less watchable.

Its much much more difficult to shoot video without those issues when starting out with a still camera for video.

That's why people will often build a "rig" for a still camera, if they want to use it for video. It's to address all those issues they encounter with the stock camera as it comes.

When they are done, the camera might look much more professional for video context, and its output might be much nicer, but in the final analysis, compared to a dedicated video camera, it remains a non-optimal solution for a purely video production situation for most applications.

Every extra adjustable thing has to be weighed carefully, you cant just turn things on willy nilly.

Each one is more often than not a time consuming extra step that most people looking for the best route to nice looking video usually don't want or need.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:36:53 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »
Power zooming with adjustable speed where the target remains in focus is really nice.  Power zooming wit a fixed speed is distracting, in videos if the power zooming cannot have an adjustable speed, manual might be better.

An otherwise good video that has bad focusing and/or zooming that distracts from the content by suddenly starting and stopping is substantially less watchable.

Its much much more difficult to shoot video without those issues when starting out with a still camera for video.
Most wide range DSLR zooms don't maintain focus across the zoom range, so you have to rely on the ability of the autofocus system to keep track, and even the best don't start to react until the picture has gone slightly fuzzy.

I've never used a video camera with a fixed speed power zoom. Security cameras are generally like that, but not cameras designed for general purpose video.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 01:42:27 pm »
With one exception way back in the 80s that really doesn't count, I never owned a handheld camcorder.. just still cameras.

The price on dedicated camcorders has fallen a lot. Were I not given a chance to use this 5 year old "new" camera, which is basically somebody else's that they rarely use any more, I probably would have bought one of the Canon camcorders as a refurb or something.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »
They almost universally aren't, that's BS.
Can you explain? because I think DSLRs are great for the job.

DSLR's vs dedicated videos cameras: (may not be current, very camera dependent, but in general)
- Most cannot maintain focus while zooming
- Most cannot do variable speed accelerated power zooming
- Many have silly stuff like noise from the zoom motors getting into the audio.
- Many lack a fully articulated screen (it's Youtube, you need to be in front of the camera sometimes and see the screen)
- Most if not all lack proper dB audio signal level meters, essential in my opinion.
- Most lack proper audio features like proper manual ranging audio without horrible compression. External mic input is no good if it has fixed dynamic compression for example.
- Most have crap inbuilt mics (yes good video camera's over a few hundred dollar generally have good quality mics build in if you are close enough to them (e.g. behind camera))
- Most lack focus peaking
- Most lack zebra stripes for exposure
- Most lack dual SD cards for fexibility and backup.
- Many lack dedicated buttons for often used stuff like video exposure etc.
- And because they are designed for photos and not manual control video, they are just more fiddly to use to shoot proper manual video.

And there are probably more, but it's almost 1am and I'm tired...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 01:54:39 pm »
And BTW, the "fantastic" shallow depth of field offered by big sensor DSLR's camera can often be a big problem for technical video production.
For things like PCB's you actually don't want the nice blured focus bokeh effect that DSLR's and a good lens automatically give you. i.e. your sensor and lens can be too good.
Unless of course you are making Kickstarter videos or something  ::)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 02:16:17 pm »
I can't speak for other cameras but Dave is right on all of this with the stock EOS-M camera.

Magic Lantern addresses much of the remainder, assuming the addition of external hardware (mounting and focusing hardware, external mic and wind shield, HDMI monitor, etc.) The extra stuff can be used to address much of the rest but it also increases the complexity in a way which likely would decrease one's video production compared to a dedicated camcorder.

Even if ML can deal with much of it it still likely does require substantial additional effort because of the lack of enough and the right kinds of buttons on the camera, even though you can completely customize the menus.

DSLR's vs dedicated videos cameras: (may not be current, very camera dependent, but in general)
- Most cannot maintain focus while zooming
- Most cannot do variable speed accelerated power zooming
- Many have silly stuff like noise from the zoom motors getting into the audio.
- Many lack a fully articulated screen (it's Youtube, you need to be in front of the camera sometimes and see the screen)
- Most if not all lack proper dB audio signal level meters, essential in my opinion.
- Most lack proper audio features like proper manual ranging audio without horrible compression. External mic input is no good if it has fixed dynamic compression for example.
- Most have crap inbuilt mics (yes good video camera's over a few hundred dollar generally have good quality mics build in if you are close enough to them (e.g. behind camera))
- Most lack focus peaking
- Most lack zebra stripes for exposure
- Most lack dual SD cards for fexibility and backup.
- Many lack dedicated buttons for often used stuff like video exposure etc.
- And because they are designed for photos and not manual control video, they are just more fiddly to use to shoot proper manual video.

And there are probably more, but it's almost 1am and I'm tired...

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »
As for Camcorders, this is the only one available: https://www.cloudsjo.com/shop/cameras/video-cameras/canon-legria-hf-r806/

I won't do any videos with motion like vlogs and so on, so probably I won't need advanced features. Also, I read that magic lantern is not safe to use.

Can't I do the job with Canon 750D with 32GB memory card?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2017, 02:36:36 pm »
As for Camcorders, this is the only one available: https://www.cloudsjo.com/shop/cameras/video-cameras/canon-legria-hf-r806/

I won't do any videos with motion like vlogs and so on, so probably I won't need advanced features. Also, I read that magic lantern is not safe to use.

Canon is not longer seems focussed on camcorders below professional grade. Try looking at Sony and Panasonic. They have a wide range.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »

Canon is not longer seems focussed on camcorders below professional grade. Try looking at Sony and Panasonic. They have a wide range.

Problem is that I live and work very far and do not have enough time to search the market.

Why can't Canon 750D be enough for electronics youtuber?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2017, 02:48:23 pm »
There is a small but nonzero chance that it could damage your camera but as far as I know that has only happened to developers.

You should always follow their instructions.

Also, important.. become accustomed to the stock firmware and the typical behaviors first before trying Magic Lantern.

Its quite possible that a still camera with ML may not be a good choice for you. Its not the best choice for most people.

Also, I read that magic lantern is not safe to use.

The memory card you use should be one that's capable of the capture rate you are hoping to get with it. Many aren't.  The bigger they are the slower they tend to be in terms of glitch-free recording.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:54:15 pm by cdev »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2017, 02:50:56 pm »
A Canon 750D would be adequate, if not the best use of your cash. Your suggestion of using a table lamp is where you really need to start taking the problems seriously. A DSLR won't need as much light as a phone camera, but to get the kind of results you admire on youtube you will need a LOT of light, to minimise image noise, and reasonable control of its direction, to avoid unpleasant shadows. Both super deep shadows and no shadow at all are bad. You need to experiment a bit to get a pleasing result.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2017, 03:32:04 pm »
A Canon 750D would be adequate, if not the best use of your cash. Your suggestion of using a table lamp is where you really need to start taking the problems seriously. A DSLR won't need as much light as a phone camera, but to get the kind of results you admire on youtube you will need a LOT of light, to minimise image noise, and reasonable control of its direction, to avoid unpleasant shadows. Both super deep shadows and no shadow at all are bad. You need to experiment a bit to get a pleasing result.

Canon 750D is about 550 JDs which is too expensive, but overall best quality and features. This will be last resort choice, but I took your advise and searched to find this:

Sony HDR-CX405 with only 250 JDs and it is a camcorder which shoots 1080p 60fps videos like I want, actually more! However, it is said that for better 1080p/60fps I should get a SDXC memory card for that which is not available. So I will be limited to AVCHD, what do you think?

I also don't know about its low light performance. However, with saving about 200 JDs I can buy tons of other stuff!

Big downside is that sony hdr cx405 doesn't have an external mic which will blow things up!!

So it is now Canon 750D DSLR vs Sony HDR-CX405 camcorder for electronics youtube videos... What do all of you think about it?

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
I found this camcorder which seems PERFECT for our discussed features, Sony HDR CX455 which accepts external mic!

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDRCX455-Full-Camcorder-Black/dp/B01950TERA/

and with this memory card (25$):

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B073JYVKNX/

I will ask a company to buy it for me, they will take care of shipping and customs... so 450$ will be like 450 JDs if I am lucky enough. I hope it won't exceed this price.

While the Canon 750D DSLR alone will cost 550 JDs! everyone here seems to agree that camcorders are far better than DSLRs, so according to them this Sony HDR-CX455 is better solution overall.

Do you think this is the best solution?

be honest with me, is there any other feature (needed for electronics videos as you know) that this camcorder lacks?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 06:37:07 pm »
If I were you I would go to Youtube and look at footage taken with all of the exact cameras you are considering, and base your purchase on the results you see people having shot.

Some cameras consistently record video that looks nice, others consistently record video that looks kind of smarmy. On paper they might look equivalent.

Go by your eyes.

Also, you may want to buy a camera used rather than new. I would. Its a lot cheaper. Plus when you sell it you may get what you paid for it so it will essentially be free.

Also, refurbs can be really good values from some dealers that are large sellers of refurbs... BHphotovideo.com for example, sells lots of Canon refurbs - you can get a relatively new camera thats been fully checked out, so no risk, for half of what it sells for new.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:41:35 pm by cdev »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 06:57:04 pm »
If I were you I would go to Youtube and look at footage taken with all of the exact cameras you are considering, and base your purchase on the results you see people having shot.

Some cameras consistently record video that looks nice, others consistently record video that looks kind of smarmy. On paper they might look equivalent.

Go by your eyes.

Also, you may want to buy a camera used rather than new. I would. Its a lot cheaper. Plus when you sell it you may get what you paid for it so it will essentially be free.

Also, refurbs can be really good values from some dealers that are large sellers of refurbs... BHphotovideo.com for example, sells lots of Canon refurbs - you can get a relatively new camera thats been fully checked out, so no risk, for half of what it sells for new.

In my case I use a local company that does shipping and customs plus other stuff, so they only accept Amazon Prime for these stuff (they do other stuff but not this time).

I gave them this list of components, first group is "essential" and the last item is a usb mic which is good if they can get it cheaply:
https://pastebin.com/3tvc84KQ

Going for refurbs is not a bad option but for me getting the list is better since it is cheap pricing. They get tons of stuff from Amazon prime so they charge me less, but when I get a separate order just for a refurb camera it will be added cost.

Budget is tight  but that list is totally fine! I expect the total list will cost up to 550 JDs (added cost for the company) but getting the canon 750D DSLR alone will be 550 JD locally here! HUGE difference.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:33 pm »
YouTube videos come in a wide range of quality.  There are the truly crappy hand-held cell phone videos all the way up to studio quality work.  I'm guess that the cost of the equipment varies in direct proportion.  In fact, 'direct' is probably the wrong word.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was exponentially more expensive to produce high quality video.

At some point it comes down to quality versus cost and what's 'good enough'.  There's no reason to start at the top of the line.  A more modest approach may be required.  Along the way, equipment comes and equipment goes.  Some stays longer than others.

Try what is affordable and see how it goes.  Everything has a resale value and the sale will help cover the upgrade.

As to specific content:  How is a site re: PICs and Arduinos going to differentiate itself from the thousands of related videos already on YouTube?  What can possibly be left to explain that hasn't already been explained a couple of hundred times?  There has to be a 'hook' to get people's attention.

I just did a quick search for 'pic 16f timers' and there are 1880 videos on that topic.  I did another search on 'using arduino interrupts' and there are 58,800 videos.  It's going to be pretty hard to stand out in that crowd.

EEVblog differentiates itself by scale.  It has the forums, the videos, the blogs and related streams.  There are Teardowns, the Mail Bag, Fundamentals Friday (my favorite), equipment reviews and other themes.  Plus an enthusiastic presenter!  There's an enormous amount of content and it all ties together.  But it doesn't cover everything in just the video stream.  There's a lot of content in the forums themselves.  Specific projects, questions and answers - that is the draw for me.  There are some pretty smart folks hanging out in the forums.

Ultimately, you need to come up with a 'hook'.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 07:13:02 pm »

BHphotovideo.com is a great resource.  Many years ago (like 30), I was doing a bunch of diving in the waters around Singapore and Malaysia.  Naturally, I got interested in underwater photography and BHphotovideo was the place to buy the Nikonus V underwater camera plus the lenses and strobes.  Delivery to Singapore was quick and I never did get hit for a customs fee.  Great company!

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:44 pm »
The equipment I listed are not top of the line, but my smartphone videos are really not good. Plus I still need to stabilize it using a tripod for overhead shots which is crappy 3$ one. These stuff simply won't do it. Not to mention the need to record stuff on laptop too.

As for the content, I've got to say that I am not really creative in getting a hook. This is a problem for me which is why Arabic content seems a good idea since there are less content than English plus quality is mostly very bad... even for arduino stuff.

My best videos on youtube so far are those I created using After Effects, which is doing animation and sync it with my voice recording. One of them (episode 15) is at 4k views and gets views daily. Here is an Arabic channel and gets good views (even patreon support!): https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/wrmissa

As for English stuff here are my thoughts:

- Instrumentation engineering videos: like flow meters, pressure transmitters, level, speed... etc. Explaining these stuff using photos and animation since I cannot shoot such videos xD. Maybe a series would be good.

- Arduino tutorials for 37 sensor kit and other stuff: good camera will surely help.

- PIC MCU tutorial series: I made 1st video.

- Do some projects and explain them from start to finish.

But for Arabic I can do bunch of stuff and there will be no competitors like English.

Some English channels that I looked to do the same (their views seemed reachable + not native English speakers while being successful):

- How to Mechatronics.
- Voltlog.

Some channels that I liked their method but lacked tools (especially camera):

- Greatscott... especially he is not native English speaker and got successful.

Looking forward to get feedback.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2017, 08:24:49 pm »
You know, there are an awful lot of people who speak Arabic who dont speak English. And if you do and can make what you feel is good content, and do some of them, or try them out first in your native language then by all means you should.  That will give you some more experience which will help you in the long run.

most importantly, do what you enjoy and feel is useful.

Nobody is telling you what to do.

Otherwise, IMHO, you may burn out and not do any videos. 

Videos are better than no videos.

As for the content, I've got to say that I am not really creative in getting a hook. This is a problem for me which is why Arabic content seems a good idea since there are less content than English plus quality is mostly very bad... even for arduino stuff.

My best videos on youtube so far are those I created using After Effects, which is doing animation and sync it with my voice recording. One of them (episode 15) is at 4k views and gets views daily. Here is an Arabic channel and gets good views (even patreon support!): https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/wrmissa

- Instrumentation engineering videos: like flow meters, pressure transmitters, level, speed... etc. Explaining these stuff using photos and animation since I cannot shoot such videos xD. Maybe a series would be good.

- Arduino tutorials for 37 sensor kit and other stuff: good camera will surely help.

But for Arabic I can do bunch of stuff and there will be no competitors like English.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 08:29:17 pm »
You know, there are an awful lot of people who speak Arabic who dont speak English. And if you do and can make what you feel is good content, and do some of them, or try them out first in your native language then by all means you should.  That will give you some more experience which will help you in the long run.

most importantly, do what you enjoy and feel is useful.

Nobody is telling you what to do.

Otherwise, IMHO, you may burn out and not do any videos. 

Videos are better than no videos.

One of my wishes is to see localized Arabic content that is original Arabic content that is the same or better quality than English one. However, I do want to be known overall like other youtubers who are now famous and getting money from their channels... etc.

Anyway here is my latest video which is Arabic:

I will probably do similar videos but better quality using the new equipment.

What do you suggest?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:02 pm »
Vegetek,

Its not the camera that makes the video, its the IDEA and content which makes the video..

Red Squirrel,

what model camera do you have? Any "10 minute limit" sounds too arbitrary - it may be fixable.

I'd be curious about this too, never really owned a proper video camera before and do have a DSLR which is great for photos and time lapses but not that great for actual video, especially because of the time limit which is easy to forget to check up on if you decide to shoot something that will last longer than 10 minutes.   There's tons on Amazon when doing a search, from a few hundred bucks all the way to thousands.  Wonder if the ~$300 ones are decent or not.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 09:30:28 pm »

You can "do the job" with practically anything.
I could make videos on my phone if I really had to.
At least the 750D has an articulating screen.

Look, a ton of professional Youtubers use DSLR's, no problem. I'm just telling you that little things can matter, and camcorders do the "little things" way better than DSLR's that are not optimised for the job.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2017, 09:32:24 pm »
So it is now Canon 750D DSLR vs Sony HDR-CX405 camcorder for electronics youtube videos... What do all of you think about it?

I think you aren't looking hard enough.
What about used cameras on ebay or whatever?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2017, 09:37:25 pm »
While the Canon 750D DSLR alone will cost 550 JDs! everyone here seems to agree that camcorders are far better than DSLRs, so according to them this Sony HDR-CX455 is better solution overall.

No, as always, "it depends".

be honest with me, is there any other feature (needed for electronics videos as you know) that this camcorder lacks?

The HDRCX455 has front mounted mics, not ideal for behind the camera commentary. Doesn't matter if you use an external mic of course.
I use internal mic for all my behind the camera work just for convenience.
I also don't think it has a proper audio VU meter, and it lacks lots of control buttons.
This is basically just a low end toy comsumer camcorder.
They are OK, but not great.
If you had to make me pick from those two, I'd actually chose the DSLR and just deal with the small things.
You can't and shouldn't just buy any camcorder because it's a camcorder.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:39:28 pm by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
Anyway here is my latest video which is Arabic:

I will probably do similar videos but better quality using the new equipment.
What do you suggest?

Looking at that (not with my usual studio monitor speakers) I'd say you don't need any new equipment, it will not instantly make your videos any better.
Your image quality is fine, just get rid of the camera shack (presumably due to mounting on the same unstable desk you are using).
You can make a successful channel with the equipment you have now, no question.
I personally don't like the "top down" camera look, but that's me.
Things like framing and changing camera angles for different shots as required is much more important than having better image quality because you used a DSLR.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf