Author Topic: Good camera for electronics youtube videos  (Read 27608 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Good camera for electronics youtube videos
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2017, 09:55:35 pm »
Even though I go into NYC fairly often I only make it into their store once every couple of years. But when I go there its just so very interesting.. They have tons and tons of stuff there. The stuff you never see out to try anywhere else.
BHphotovideo.com is a great resource.  Many years ago (like 30), I was doing a bunch of diving in the waters around Singapore and Malaysia.  Naturally, I got interested in underwater photography and BHphotovideo was the place to buy the Nikonus V underwater camera plus the lenses and strobes.  Delivery to Singapore was quick and I never did get hit for a customs fee.  Great company!

I have seen HD capable Canon camcorders - refurbs, (NTSC not PAL) for sale for very little.. ($99 and $129) there. Thats really cheap.

With used or refurb equipment your risk exposure if a camera doesnt work out is a lot lower. I think you will likely find as dave is telling you that the camera doesnt make the video, the ideas and content and the other aspects of the production do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:05:31 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2017, 09:57:18 pm »
- Greatscott... especially he is not native English speaker and got successful.

Greatscott is successful because of several things, none of which really involve equipment:

- His cool German accent and enthusiasm
- His careful choice of camera angles and shots
- His deliberate use of (almost entirely?) voice-over audio in the editing phase. (It's much easier to get better and more consistent audio when you are doing voice-overs then when behind the camera recording "live" like me)
- Short sharp transitions and pacing
- His very careful limiting of speech and omission of detail to keep videos short and to appeal to a broader audience than other electronics channels.
- Consistent video production timeline
- Well chosen themes, titles and thumbnails to appeal to a mass audience.
- Deliberate choice of topic (like hacking stuff) that appeals to a larger audience than electronics tutorials. If he stuck to just electronics tutorial he'd probably only have 1/10th the audience he does, that's just the nature of the market.

In short, his production and editing values are what makes the difference, not his camera or equipment.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:03:39 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: laneboysrc

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »
The other thing camcorders have is better battery systems. The batteries stick out the back and you can get massive extended battery packs that not only last for an entire days shooting but are also easy to change without taking the camera off the tripod.
I could not live without my long life battery pack camcorder, it would drive me insane.
My shoots are often many hours long and involve shooting 100+ clips, it's essential for me to have a battery that lasts all day.

Also, most DSLR's cannot shoot any length video, they overheat, so will often limit you to like 20min clips. That's no good for interviews or long single take clips for example. Just something to be aware of.

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2017, 10:23:34 pm »
While the Canon 750D DSLR alone will cost 550 JDs! everyone here seems to agree that camcorders are far better than DSLRs, so according to them this Sony HDR-CX455 is better solution overall.

No, as always, "it depends".

be honest with me, is there any other feature (needed for electronics videos as you know) that this camcorder lacks?

The HDRCX455 has front mounted mics, not ideal for behind the camera commentary. Doesn't matter if you use an external mic of course.
I use internal mic for all my behind the camera work just for convenience.
I also don't think it has a proper audio VU meter, and it lacks lots of control buttons.
This is basically just a low end toy comsumer camcorder.
They are OK, but not great.
If you had to make me pick from those two, I'd actually chose the DSLR and just deal with the small things.
You can't and shouldn't just buy any camcorder because it's a camcorder.

I will use the external mic of course, so audio will be good enough. Having audio VU meter wasn't in my required features and since using an external mic (that connects to my shirt, I guess audio will be good regardless of the meter.

What I really liked about it is the video quality. It supports up to 1080p 60fps video and with 64 gb memory card, it will be awesome. It said that it has touch screen and all options are there using buttons... so yeah I guess it is nice.

Dave, you don't know my budget. Your say it is a toy and these camcorders are ok but not great according to your standards since you have way more budget than me without any comparison. However, my salary is about 400 JDs so this camcorder is about the limit of my capabilities.

Camcorder (Sony HDR CX455) + memory card (64gb) + BOYA BY-M1 microphone + usb desktop mic + company payment (shipping + handling + customs + their fees) = ~550 JDs.

While that Canon 750D DSLR alone is 550 JDs locally!

not to mention I need to buy tripod and its extension (for overhead shots) = around 110 JDs. + a cheap white LED light = 10 JDs.

I hope you know my reality and why that particular camcorder is about nearly the best option to have, unless you know a better suggestion with the same price tag which is the center point of all this.

____

Looking at that (not with my usual studio monitor speakers) I'd say you don't need any new equipment, it will not instantly make your videos any better.
Your image quality is fine, just get rid of the camera shack (presumably due to mounting on the same unstable desk you are using).
You can make a successful channel with the equipment you have now, no question.
I personally don't like the "top down" camera look, but that's me.
Things like framing and changing camera angles for different shots as required is much more important than having better image quality because you used a DSLR.

What about my previous English content?

The problem was the very few views I get, but sometimes I get good views like my episode 15 video. However other videos are just frozen due to the bad filming. I cannot do much with Nexus 4 smartphone as there are no specialized equipment to help. That shaky video due to cheap stick which does not stick properly. Proper tripod and its extension will cost around 110 JDs... but they do not accept smartphones.

My biggest concern now is the language. I am a native Arabic speaker and sometimes I get the idea to change the channel to Arabic due to bad quality of available content overall except for Walid Issa videos which are not top of the line too.

However, I also see some kinda acceptance to my English videos. Some of them are still getting views till now (regularly). So what to do?

Getting new equipment will greatly help me since I can do these shots you talked about. However, I need to decide what to do about language. I explained earlier about the type of content that I have in mind for now... dunno what you think about it.

Greatscott is successful because of several things, none of which really involve equipment:

- His cool German accent and enthusiasm
- His careful choice of camera angles and shots
- His deliberate use of (almost entirely?) voice-over audio in the editing phase. (It's much easier to get better and more consistent audio when you are doing voice-overs then when behind the camera recording "live" like me)
- Short sharp transitions and pacing
- His very careful limiting of speech and omission of detail to keep videos short and to appeal to a broader audience than other electronics channels.
- Consistent video production timeline
- Well chosen themes, titles and thumbnails to appeal to a mass audience.
- Deliberate choice of topic (like hacking stuff) that appeals to a larger audience than electronics tutorials. If he stuck to just electronics tutorial he'd probably only have 1/10th the audience he does, that's just the nature of the market.

In short, his production and editing values are what makes the difference, not his camera or equipment.

Yes, but he uses a good camera not Nexus 4!! he cannot achieve that using a smartphone.

About voice-over, actually he inspired me to do it since I won't be charismatic speaker in English. Here is my best video overall:

What do you think about it?

I got 2.9K views last 28 days, +1K alone from that video... and I don't even know why?!!

While this video below is far much better in nearly all terms, and does not get views:

I can do such content as greatscot and afromod (voice over thing), but again, I need proper camera and tools.I added a 30$ usb desktop microphone to be able to record on my laptop since I do suffer recording on smartphone with bad quality.

reaching that level of production is not impossible but it depends on time (since tools are available). However, I am living very far and don't have access to buy all these components to test and do stuff with them like he has. I live in a shared room with one guy so I don't have all the time I need to record. I do have little space (like 3 meters wide) and table as my working area.

I need your advise to know what is better for me, to continue making videos in English? or Arabic?

I use your theme of "EEVblog #100 - blah" naming -> "VEGEteK #010 - blah" so I wonder if it is good or should I remove naming?

The other thing camcorders have is better battery systems. The batteries stick out the back and you can get massive extended battery packs that not only last for an entire days shooting but are also easy to change without taking the camera off the tripod.
I could not live without my long life battery pack camcorder, it would drive me insane.
My shoots are often many hours long and involve shooting 100+ clips, it's essential for me to have a battery that lasts all day.

Also, most DSLR's cannot shoot any length video, they overheat, so will often limit you to like 20min clips. That's no good for interviews or long single take clips for example. Just something to be aware of.

Yeah but 20 mins are too short. I won't keep recording for hours but certainly will hit 30 minutes.

As I said earlier, seems like HDR CX455 is the best choice overall.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2017, 11:18:47 pm »
In Arabic, your videos will have a lot less competition but also a much smaller market than if you use English.

I'm guessing that, in the end, this thing is about making money.  If so, it would seem that the larger market would be the way to go as long as you can generate interest despite the number of competitors.

Your spoken English is good enough, no concerns there.

I think there is a lot to be said for a series of videos.  I am watching PSOC 101 because I got interested in the chip.  The series addresses a lot of topics in relatively short and focused videos.  In some ways, it is the same kind of thing you want to do.  Take a PIC and demonstrate all of the hardware and the required software.  There is also some time spent working through the IDE.

http://www.cypress.com/training/psoc-101-video-tutorial-series-how-use-arm-cortex-m0-based-psoc-4

This series was planned, it didn't just happen.  Each lesson uses a copy of the previous lesson project and the necessary changes are made.  The LEDs that were placed in Lesson 1 are still on the diagram in Lesson 8.  Sometimes the changes take a bit of time, in other lessons, you delete a bunch of stuff and just use a 'wire'.

This approach saves a lot of repetition and helps keep the videos short.  There's nothing worse than a 20 minute video with 5 minutes of content.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:24 am »
In Arabic, your videos will have a lot less competition but also a much smaller market than if you use English.

I'm guessing that, in the end, this thing is about making money.  If so, it would seem that the larger market would be the way to go as long as you can generate interest despite the number of competitors.

Your spoken English is good enough, no concerns there.

I think there is a lot to be said for a series of videos.  I am watching PSOC 101 because I got interested in the chip.  The series addresses a lot of topics in relatively short and focused videos.  In some ways, it is the same kind of thing you want to do.  Take a PIC and demonstrate all of the hardware and the required software.  There is also some time spent working through the IDE.

http://www.cypress.com/training/psoc-101-video-tutorial-series-how-use-arm-cortex-m0-based-psoc-4

This series was planned, it didn't just happen.  Each lesson uses a copy of the previous lesson project and the necessary changes are made.  The LEDs that were placed in Lesson 1 are still on the diagram in Lesson 8.  Sometimes the changes take a bit of time, in other lessons, you delete a bunch of stuff and just use a 'wire'.

This approach saves a lot of repetition and helps keep the videos short.  There's nothing worse than a 20 minute video with 5 minutes of content.

It is not about money but about views and attendance. Almost all youtubers now have money income from their channels using Patreon so maybe it is about money in the future.

I wanted to make a variety of stuff, not just video series. However, Arduino is the easiest to use but almost all people know how to use it. Despite that, it still gets attention.

You cannot imagine how confused I am right now ^_^. One comment in my PIC tutorial 1st video of the series (and only one till now) says that this video series will be the best in youtube! can you imagine that?

That sparked the idea of making video series for Arduino too and some other projects I wanna do like making a 4WD robot using Arduino and make it wireless-controlled later. Explaining it in 3 videos or so seems nice, maybe 5. So it won't take a lot to watch and does the job.

So that lead me to the idea of making Arduino projects and explain them like that (from 1 to 5 videos at most), all in HD and best graphics I can do... etc.

I also liked the 37 sensors kit and maybe it has 37 videos alone, despite someone else done it before.

Another idea is the "practical electronics" video series, like the Arabic one made by Walid Issa where he gets +50k views for each video (100 videos total). It is about making video for each thing but this will be long and hard.

As you can see, pretty much everything is already been done tens of times in English. That is why I am confused.

BTW, should I keep the naming scheme as it is or remove it? "VEGEteK #111 - blah" -> "blah" ? I also intend to change channel name to "Raigeki".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:03 am »
I will use the external mic of course, so audio will be good enough. Having audio VU meter wasn't in my required features and since using an external mic (that connects to my shirt, I guess audio will be good regardless of the meter.

Just because you use an external mic does not automatically mean you'll get good quality audio!
As I mentioned, if the camcorder only has dynamic audio compress and not proper manual audio then your audio will suck.
You also want your audio level set properly in-camera, you don't want to be adjusting in the edit.
Also, lapel mics are not magic, if you turn your head you can get large changes in audio level.

What I really liked about it is the video quality. It supports up to 1080p 60fps video and with 64 gb memory card, it will be awesome.

Or it may not.
This camcorder will have a small sensor and not the best optics. And that x30 zoom comes at a price. CHeap camcorders are compromised and it won't be "awesome" just because it's full HD at 60fps.

Dave, you don't know my budget. Your say it is a toy and these camcorders are ok but not great according to your standards since you have way more budget than me without any comparison. However, my salary is about 400 JDs so this camcorder is about the limit of my capabilities.

And you don't seem to understand that there are other options. Have you even considered used cameras?

Camcorder (Sony HDR CX455) + memory card (64gb) + BOYA BY-M1 microphone + usb desktop mic + company payment (shipping + handling + customs + their fees) = ~550 JDs.
While that Canon 750D DSLR alone is 550 JDs locally!

Why are these your only options?

not to mention I need to buy tripod and its extension (for overhead shots) = around 110 JDs. + a cheap white LED light = 10 JDs.

I hope you know my reality and why that particular camcorder is about nearly the best option to have, unless you know a better suggestion with the same price tag which is the center point of all this.

Can you order stuff internationally on ebay?
If you can then it opens up a huge market of cameras available.

What about my previous English content?

Sorry, haven't watched it yet.

Yes, but he uses a good camera not Nexus 4!! he cannot achieve that using a smartphone.

You don't understand, he would be just as successful with a smartphone.
And yes, a smartphone camera is adequate if you have enough light.

I can do such content as greatscot and afromod (voice over thing), but again, I need proper camera and tools.I added a 30$ usb desktop microphone to be able to record on my laptop since I do suffer recording on smartphone with bad quality.

I think you are focusing on the gear too much.

reaching that level of production is not impossible but it depends on time (since tools are available). However, I am living very far and don't have access to buy all these components to test and do stuff with them like he has. I live in a shared room with one guy so I don't have all the time I need to record. I do have little space (like 3 meters wide) and table as my working area.

Better gear is not going to help you much then.
Good video production takes times. Especially, the likes of what GreatScott does. Afrotechmods spends 30+ hours making one 5-7 minute video.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2017, 08:05:17 am »
About voice-over, actually he inspired me to do it since I won't be charismatic speaker in English. Here is my best video overall:

What do you think about it?

I think you didn't need a camera at all for that!, just saying  ;)

You english is pretty good, but is quite monotonic and sounds like you are reading a script. I'm not sure if that's just the your natural delivery, or it's because you are reading a script and aren't being fluid enough, or it's because english isn't your first language. Or a combination of those.

What language should you use? That's easy. If you want to be successful on Youtube then it has to be in English, simple as that. It's the target market, it's what people search for in terms of keywords etc. Especially in a niche field like engineering.

I got 2.9K views last 28 days, +1K alone from that video... and I don't even know why?!!

Welcome to the magic of the Youtube algorithm.
It's a video that uses some niche keywords in the title, description, and your actual keywords I can see.

While this video below is far much better in nearly all terms, and does not get views:

It didn't get the same views because it's not keywords people are searching for.

I'll let you in on a youtube secret. The success of a video has very little if anything to do with the quality of the video or the amount of work you put into it. Welcome to the brutal world of Youtube.
Even with a half million subs, half of my daily views come from people just searching for stuff.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:09:40 am by EEVblog »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2017, 08:53:56 am »
Just because you use an external mic does not automatically mean you'll get good quality audio!
As I mentioned, if the camcorder only has dynamic audio compress and not proper manual audio then your audio will suck.
You also want your audio level set properly in-camera, you don't want to be adjusting in the edit.
Also, lapel mics are not magic, if you turn your head you can get large changes in audio level.

Or it may not.
This camcorder will have a small sensor and not the best optics. And that x30 zoom comes at a price. CHeap camcorders are compromised and it won't be "awesome" just because it's full HD at 60fps.

And you don't seem to understand that there are other options. Have you even considered used cameras?

Why are these your only options?

Ok, I can order from ebay or any other seller platform, it is just that amazon will be relatively cheaper since the handler company has prime account and so on.

Can you please suggest camcorders (used or refurbished) that fit the price of 400-500$ and still do all you said they do? If you help me with this, maybe I can see what to do. I don't really insist on new camera at all!

Your Canon HF G10 is about 700$ used which is still a lot beyond my reach. I need something around 400-500$ (hopefully with shipping) that fits all your mentioned features... something that is a lot better than Sony CX455 that I had in mind before.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:42 am »
I have seen something like Sony CX675 used for 359.89$ (+37.5$ shipping). But this is the version directly above CX455 so I am not sure if it is really making a difference.

I really could use your help here, I have never used a camcorder before.

there is this Panasonic HC-770: http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/panasonic-hc-v770
it is about 380$ (+51$ shipping) at ebay. Thay say it has a bigger sensor than cx675 but it does only 50fps not 60fps.

What do you suggest? Should I buy CX675? HC-770? or a new CX455?

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2017, 03:18:12 pm »
To sum up what I have searched so far, and seems the best choice till now (price is delivered to Jordan + all kinds of fees):

Sony CX-675 (used from ebay)                                         = 435 JDs (after a small discount).
BOYA BY-M1 external microphone                                      = 45 JDs.
SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I card with Adapter     = with microphone (one order for 45 JDs).
USB Microphone,Fifine Metal Condenser                             = 41 JDs.

Total order = 521 JDs.

Add the following locally:

tripod                = 60 JDs.
tripod extension = 50 JDs.
white LED          = 10 JDs

TOTAL = 641 JDs (~ 901$ !!)

I probably could get away by getting a cheaper tripod but this won't make much of a difference. getting the CX455 will be around 394 JDs instead of 435 JDs but again, it is about a better camera overall... even if it is used (but looks good).

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 08:36:18 pm »
It's hard for people to answer specific questions about a camera they have never used.  Everybody who is happy with what they are using will recommend it but unless they have specific experience with one of your selections, there isn't much to say.

It is unreasonable to assume other folks on this thread will look up the User Manual for candidate models and try to compare features with what they know.  Worse, who knows what the Specifications really mean, no matter what it says?

And then there is eBay...  Who knows what you are actually getting?

Google is your friend!  Search for 'best cameras for YouTube video' or 'best camcorder for YouTube'.  You will find sites like (plus MANY others):

https://www.picochip.com/best-camera-for-youtube-videos
https://whyvideoisgreat.com/best-hd-camcorders-youtube

In the end, these sites will make recommendations based on how THEY use a (video)camera.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:19 pm »
It's hard for people to answer specific questions about a camera they have never used.  Everybody who is happy with what they are using will recommend it but unless they have specific experience with one of your selections, there isn't much to say.

It is unreasonable to assume other folks on this thread will look up the User Manual for candidate models and try to compare features with what they know.  Worse, who knows what the Specifications really mean, no matter what it says?

And then there is eBay...  Who knows what you are actually getting?

Google is your friend!  Search for 'best cameras for YouTube video' or 'best camcorder for YouTube'.  You will find sites like (plus MANY others):

https://www.picochip.com/best-camera-for-youtube-videos
https://whyvideoisgreat.com/best-hd-camcorders-youtube

In the end, these sites will make recommendations based on how THEY use a (video)camera.

Actually, they have been doing it in previous posts. Dave made good suggestions and I took them to find probably 2 choices: Sony HDR-CX675 or Panasonic HC-V770 which made final choice easier.

He and many others here seems to be knowledgeable about this way more than I am and that is why I ask them. Either way I am getting a used one from Ebay, that is not going to change since new ones are pricey. Sellers says condition is good and only few cosmetic wear (little scratches maybe), they are top rated sellers so maybe they are trust-able after all.

Panasonic HC-V770 seems to have better pixels and effective pixels (maybe bigger sensor) but CX675 also has other features such as 60fps support. So I am waiting for Dave to comment his opinion about both since he is the one suggesting ebay used cams &_&.

Panasonic HC-v770 is about 380$ + 50$ shipping.
Sony HDR-CX675 is about 360$ + 40$ shipping.

This is it for me, I am confident that it is one of these two. Since other items are decided (unless panasonic camera doesn't work with sandisk 64gb SDXC card which I think it does work).

Peoples' opinion here changed mine numerous times! I wanted a DSLR and now look where I am! Listening to experts (even if according to their own experience) is the best thing to do for me.

Best regards,
VEGETA

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2017, 10:42:16 pm »
Panasonic HC-V770 seems to have better pixels and effective pixels (maybe bigger sensor) but CX675 also has other features such as 60fps support. So I am waiting for Dave to comment his opinion about both since he is the one suggesting ebay used cams &_&.

The HC-v770 has 50Mbps 1920 x 1080 50P which is great. 50P vs 60P doesn't really matter much, it's a region coding thing, but get 60fps if you can.
The HC-v770 also has a bigger sensor (1/3.2 vs 1/5.8)
Both do F1.8 at the wide end, but the Panasonic is better at full zoom (understandable because x20 zoom vs x30)
Both have the same res 3" screen which is ok but not great.
The Panasonic has better looking top mounted mic which will be much better for behind camera work, no need for an external mic.
Out of those two I'd get the Panasonic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:43:49 pm by EEVblog »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:09 pm »

The HC-v770 has 50Mbps 1920 x 1080 50P which is great. 50P vs 60P doesn't really matter much, it's a region coding thing, but get 60fps if you can.
The HC-v770 also has a bigger sensor (1/3.2 vs 1/5.8)
Both do F1.8 at the wide end, but the Panasonic is better at full zoom (understandable because x20 zoom vs x30)
Both have the same res 3" screen which is ok but not great.
The Panasonic has better looking top mounted mic which will be much better for behind camera work, no need for an external mic.
Out of those two I'd get the Panasonic.

The only bummer for panasonic is the 50p thing, otherwise I would get it for sure... still 60fps is a good choice.

Seems like all Panasonic camcorders does only 50p... However check out this video for v770:

https://youtu.be/I7PID77IKEA?t=534

it clearly shows 1080/60p, so I searched and found this one for conversion from PAL to NTSC which will allow 60fps:

If this going to work then it is final answer! what do u think?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:32 am »
it clearly shows 1080/60p, so I searched and found this one for conversion from PAL to NTSC which will allow 60fps:

If this going to work then it is final answer! what do u think?

Sounds good.
There might be better value used cameras out there, but there is nothing wrong with that one.
The internal mics on top are important. It's one of the reasons why I use my Canon HFG30 vs my technically much better Sony NEX-VG30 camera (shotgun mic) for my main bench work.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 01:25:29 am »
Also, get a x10 Opteka macro lens, they cost about $20 and I use it for all my macro PCB shots you see in my videos, just screws into the front. You get distortion at wide angle, but fine when you zoom in a bit.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:57 am »
There might be better value used cameras out there, but there is nothing wrong with that one.

like what exactly? I guess it is the best in that price range.

The internal mics on top are important. It's one of the reasons why I use my Canon HFG30 vs my technically much better Sony NEX-VG30 camera (shotgun mic) for my main bench work.

I thought you use Canon HFG10, seems you updated your gear to the maximum level of "over 9000".

Also, get a x10 Opteka macro lens, they cost about $20 and I use it for all my macro PCB shots you see in my videos, just screws into the front. You get distortion at wide angle, but fine when you zoom in a bit.

Will it work with Panasonic HC-v770?

Won't just the camera be enough for close shots?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 03:20:23 pm »
Check the User Manual to find the minimum focus distance over the zoom range.  It may be on the order of 24" (60 cm) - like the Canon HF G40.  At lower zoom, the distance can be shorter but then the zoom is lower.

Bottom of page 1:

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camcorder/products/vixia/vixia-hf-g40/specifications/canon_HF_G40_specification_chart.pdf

I picked that camcorder because I went looking for a G30 (just to see what it was) and it is out of production.  BH Photo has the G40 in stock.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »
Will have to check them out, thank you.

It is definitely possible to get sharp macro shots using an add on lens, that's for sure..

The best results (this was in still image photography) that I ever got from any add on macro lens were when I took one of my old 35 mm lenses and attached it backwards to the front of my camera in front of the regular lens with the side that normally screwed into the camera in front. Heavy as hell but the optics were so much better than the alternative I had, which were basically just single element glass magnifying lenses. With the backwards Canon 35 mm + 55mm lenses...  I got some really great macro photos.. much better than the diopters. (They were not good dipoters, they weren't even muticoated. A better diopter would likely work much better. But the regular lenses have better DOF and are better for anything flat (like a PCB) because they are optimized to bring everything into focus thats in the film plane.. That works to your advantage when the subject is also flat..)

I used Fuji Velvia slide film, has anybody here ever used that? That was great film.. Such beautiful, saturated, silky deep colors..

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:02:03 pm by cdev »

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 04:32:49 pm »
Now everything is settled except the tripod and its extension to shoot from overhead!

I am looking at solutions right now, but all seems pricey as hell.

Here is what I got according to budget of course:

Tripod 60" tall (24$)
Cheap ball head (22$)
Screw adapters for the ball head (6$)
Bushing adapter for the ball head (7$)
Manfrotto heavy duty flexible arm (37)

Total cost without shipping  = ~100$

Handling company said the total price delivered is = 130 JDs which is expensive enough but no other choice.

Remember, I need to do all types of shots especially the overhead ones. So that mafrotto flex arm is needed badly.

What do you think of these parts? do I need anything else or to change anything?

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
Right now pretty much everything is set, I only need Dave and the others to comment about tripod and its stuff that I posted. This is to know if I miss something or need something else.

I am halting everything until I read final thoughts... lol the camera has only 2 left on ebay so you better hurry hahahaha....

Estimated total cost would be something like 675 JD which is around 950$! I have never paid such amount and hopefully I won't since I won't need to. Probably I will make a video about all these items if I feel like it.

Looking forward to your final opinion, please be honest as always.

Thanks!

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2017, 11:36:18 pm »
Ball heads are generally great for rapidly changing your camera's position for still photography but IMHO they are worse than a more conventional head for video..

Also, your current videos look pretty good to me.

Maybe you can network with other videographers in your area and in person, try out their equipment to see how it handles and what the captured images look like.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2017, 11:52:51 pm »
You can buy a USB sound card for around $5 which will let you lose the $40 "USB microphone" when you need to do voice overs (unless your computer, like many, has a audio input which can work with either microphone level or line level inputs) The Syba USB sound card likely has better sound quality for audio capture than many computer audio inputs, though. I use a Syba USB sound card sometimes. It has a stereo input and fairly low noise. It supplies a positive voltage to power standard condenser microphones - not the pro ones (XLR and higher voltage) , the low voltage ones..  Most computer sound inputs will power a condenser mike.

If you are buying a good microphone you shouldn't need to get two of them (unless its intentionally so you can place them apart for stereo) Many mikes commonly used with video camcorders have stereo - both semi omnidirectional - pointed sideways - and directional/cardioid mikes might have stereo, which might be particularly good for video newsgathering type work, but you might do better with a clip on mike you could wear. There are also lapel-friendly clip on stereo mikes (I have a Sony one that I have had for ages, it works with my camera's audio input, and doesn't need any batteries, its powered from the plug.)

A mono directional mike (might be better value for the money than stereo) might also be fine. You might want to try them out somehow in a store to see what it seems like you will use.

For your own talking a lavalier microphone (clips to your shirt) is likely best. You should be able to find a decent one for a fairly modest price.  (Don't be eager to spend money.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:00:07 am by cdev »

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf