Author Topic: Good camera for electronics youtube videos  (Read 27589 times)

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Good camera for electronics youtube videos
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:53 pm »
Any cheap solution for such lighting problem?

LED work lights or LED spot light inside of clamp on reflector holder. I guess turning off the neon is not an option?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:25 pm »
Any cheap solution for such lighting problem?

LED work lights or LED spot light inside of clamp on reflector holder. I guess turning off the neon is not an option?

I could get a table LED lamp or bright white lamp..  will it work?

I could not shut the neon down since it is the only light in the room xD.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2017, 07:47:53 pm »
I tested my new USB mic and it was a pleasant to use, very easy and high quality. 

However, there is always a background noise since my room is in company's township (which cannot be changed). I managed to reduce laptop's fan noise by using power saver plan (cooling = passive), but room noise is still not that usable.

I did a noise reduction via Audacity and the result is kinda nice. Can I call it a day like this?

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2017, 08:41:21 pm »
There are little microphone recording boxes that use sound insulating foam. I can't remember the exact name, but those might help if you need one. You could of course make one with some foam. Some people tested covering themselves and the microphone with a sheet or blanket for a quick solution, I guess it does help with noise but does not sound comfortable.

Actually dynamic mics might pick up less noise but I think condenser is the standard for PC recording.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:38 pm »
I finally found the name of what I meant, it is called a "microphone booth box" and can be DIY as well but you would need the right foam.

A pop filter (the first item type you linked below your mic) is useful to prevent clipping/distortion when you say things like "p/peh" loudly/close to the mic, but cheaper ones are available on eBay. The second can do a similar job and it shields from some wind, but neither will really filter outside noise effectively. A booth box might help more, but you should definitely see some reviews of people that actually tried it before considering.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:33 pm »
They advise getting this: https://www.amazon.com/Dragonpad-USA-filter-Studio-Microphone/dp/B008AOH1O6/ref=pd_bxgy_267_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E0D7Q58XWK2JXD64DFYE&dpID=31Sz567jKfL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Will it help? since it is used with many mics.
That thing is called a pop filter because it can greatly reduce the popping sound you can get from the rush of air as someone starts to talk. It will also catch any spray from your mouth as you speak, keeping the microphone clean. It won't directly help with background noise, but it may let you get closer to the mic without creating these annoying popping sounds. That would raise the volume of your voice relative to the background noise. If you want to keep the mic out of view while recording, this strategy won't work.
However, I guess you meant this:
https://www.amazon.com/Stagg-WS-S25-B5-Windscreen-Microphone/dp/B0025YKD8I/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1511213578&sr=8-23&keywords=condenser+microphone+foam
Those filters help reduce the rushing noise caused by wind across the microphone. The are aimed at outdoor users of microphones. In a room they do very little.

More directional microphones help with background noise. Look up "rifle mic". These are highly directional mics, generally used for picking up voices from a significant distance, typically while outdoors. Background noise can be a huge problem there. They can sound strangely dead when used indoors, as they may pick up so little of the room's ambience (i.e. reverb). You could add reverb back electronically if a highly directional microphone is the only way to eliminate your background noise.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2017, 07:18:59 am »
I finally found the name of what I meant, it is called a "microphone booth box" and can be DIY as well but you would need the right foam.

I see people doing that but no one posted a measurement of noise before and after. I would need to buy that type of foam which makes buying a ready-to-use one a better idea. I wonder if normal foam can do the job?

More directional microphones help with background noise. Look up "rifle mic".

Buying other components is not a welcomed idea now, no need for it anyway. I have an external mic for my camera but my concern is for the USB mic for recording voice-overs.

Using Audacity made it better really but I wonder if other professional youtubers actually do the same, or they just record and publish without filtering the noise? I wounder how they do it. Dave's sound is really good and this makes my question more sensible... how can he achieve this?

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:24 am »
I think it's far easier to reduce post processing that you have to do to a minimum. An exception could be a simple process that you can put inside some type of macro/automate. So that it as close as possible to record, transfer, click or type "process-my-video videoname" and get a result file.

But regarding the booth box, you could check some videos on YouTube to see if it could help (as well as various ways to build one), but it seems mostly aimed at focusing on your "direct" voice (straight to microphone), and removing reflections/reverb of your voice from the room coming back to the microphone. Since in this way it "focuses" on picking up your voice, I assume it will remove some background noise as well, but I have no idea regarding how effective it will be and what frequencies it will remove (I don't have one). So it may or may not help much.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2017, 12:23:58 pm »
I think it's far easier to reduce post processing that you have to do to a minimum. An exception could be a simple process that you can put inside some type of macro/automate. So that it as close as possible to record, transfer, click or type "process-my-video videoname" and get a result file.
t I have no idea regarding how effective it will be and what frequencies it will remove (I don't have one). So it may or may not help much.

Doing this noise removal via Audacity is ALL I do in this regard. Takes 30 seconds or so. You can check my previous videos to hear the voice recorded by Nexus 4 then filtered like that. Now I got better microphone so it should be better.

Plus I am planning to do one video each 2 weeks (at least for now), so I am not like those who do weekly videos and want to achieve perfect efficiency.

I am good with After effects so I can do whatever I want in it especially editing clips THEN do effects, so no need for editing program. However, since now I will get a lot of video footage then I need to use Premiere Pro! This is the only thing I need to learn now which will cause delays and stuff.

That was for footage-based videos like tutorials and so on, but what about animation-based ones? This one is using After effects as main software (which I am good at) but here I will use Illustrator too to make nice shapes which will need learning  :palm:

TL;DR
There is no shortcut and no "perfect way" to do anything.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2017, 12:50:05 am »
here is the result:

please list your opinion.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2017, 02:37:58 am »
here is the result:
please list your opinion.

Result of what?  Can you summarize what is going on.  It has been a long time.

Glad you do not start out with a music video.  I have gone through 1,000s of videos and almost all videos from the mid-east and India start out as a music video.  They literally want to make me scream.  It is a pity because a lot of them try really hard to make a good video.  Somehow their mind set is on music videos and they think any video needs to start like a music video.  So I am glad your "music video" is not at the beginning and it is short.

Can you zoom in on the data sheets, I cannot read them.

Good to see that you are sticking with it and letting others know what is going on  :-+

So give a summary on all the equipment you got.

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2017, 03:06:45 am »
The voice over is perfectly fine. For me, the only slight issue (potentially) is the thunder logo sound. Is it louder than other sounds? I did not verify this, but a sudden "bang" could be problematic on headphones if it is loud.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2017, 03:19:43 am »
Also I suggest you name your videos like Dave does.  It really helps if someone downloads your videos.  It will help you in the long run.  Dave makes a living off of these videos so he does things right, learn from the master.

Name + Number + Subject

and use the full field so searches find you easier

What is going on with the new name.  I remember you picked a really crazy name (that no one could remember) that everyone told you no and you picked another name (which was reasonable) ?   Your current name is easy to remember, so have you decided to keep it?

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:26 am »
Result of what?  Can you summarize what is going on.  It has been a long time.
I have bought camera and shooting gear to use in my videos, this video is the first using them. Panasonic HC v-770 camera + tripod + ball head + lav. microphone + USB microphone + other stuff = around 900$ or so xD.

Can you zoom in on the data sheets, I cannot read them.

Will do next time.

The voice over is perfectly fine. For me, the only slight issue (potentially) is the thunder logo sound. Is it louder than other sounds? I did not verify this, but a sudden "bang" could be problematic on headphones if it is loud.

I will try to adjust all sounds in next videos for sure. Personally, I love this thunder sound (especially this bang one) ever since I was a child!! yes, it is a famous one... first time hearing it was in Mortal Kombat defenders of the realm opening  :-+ after that I was hooked for life.

Also I suggest you name your videos like Dave does.

Actually, most reviews and channels do not suggest this. I was pro tagging like this but now I am not. Greatscott, afrotechmods and mikeselectricstuff for example, they don't use it. Actually, almost no channel use it except eevblog and some other ones like voltlog.

For eevblog it is now totally useless as I myself don't remember episodes number and will always revert back to searching the name for the one I want. dave chose the tagging for a reason, which is now not that important.

thanks for your advise.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:29 am »

For eevblog it is now totally useless as I myself don't remember episodes number and will always revert back to searching the name for the one I want. dave chose the tagging for a reason, which is now not that important.

thanks for your advise advice. (FYI)

The numbering is not totally useless at all. If nothing else it is useful when unambiguously referring to a particular video. Searching on EEVBLOG #1045 will get you right to the video if someone want to recommend it to you.

Voltlog and W2AEW number their videos and maybe if they don't comment here you might try asking them also.

Maybe quoting videos using numbers is a good way but numbering takes a huge amount of title space! Imagine if I would write "Thundertronics #001 -" in front of all video titles! It REALLY messes things up especially for new channels like mine.

EEVblog is different than any other one. Even dave himself does not really defend tagging so much as he wrote above.

You mentioned those who do numbering... what about those who don't? they are way much more and has more viewers.

any opinion about the video?

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2017, 09:39:47 am »
I noticed you've done a lot of editing in the video. Sure it will be time consuming, but the result is nice.

Some of the video is grainy, I guess lower light for the camera so it has to compensate with higher ISO? However, I don't really mind grainy personally. Even movies sometimes have added grain to look grainier. So, not really a problem, but this is something that can be noticed.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:50 am »
I noticed you've done a lot of editing in the video. Sure it will be time consuming, but the result is nice.

Some of the video is grainy, I guess lower light for the camera so it has to compensate with higher ISO? However, I don't really mind grainy personally. Even movies sometimes have added grain to look grainier. So, not really a problem, but this is something that can be noticed.

Grainy video is due to poor lighting, which is bad for youtube. However, human eyes prefer grainy picture\scene (= more details) than flat one with no details. details are always good, the bad details are the ones we don't want... which are called noise. If I could enhance my lighting and shooting skills then I will take the step to encode more professionally using x264 which I am good at.

I used Premiere pro with After effects, I am good with after effects so it made my work easy. The best feature in this is I could substitute a portion of the sequence in premiere pro with an after effect composition! this is what I did mostly and it is a very power feature.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf