Author Topic: good DC power connector for 50V ?  (Read 3572 times)

Offline JBealeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
good DC power connector for 50V ?
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:49:00 pm »
Anybody have a favorite, inexpensive polarized connector good for 2A at +50V DC ?  This is for a project of my own, not a commercial thing.  Some vendors of the standard 5.5mm/2.1mm DC power connector specify a rating of 50V but I already use that connector a lot for +12 or +5 V power and I don't want to have an accidental mix-up. I like the RC hobby type XT60 connector but I'm already using it in this project for +12V 20A.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: good DC power connector for 50V ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:57:10 pm »
You can take your pick of standard style crimp housings - various Molex Mini/micro/nano/whatever-fit styles, the good old Mate 'N' Lok if you want it to never come apart again (and you think I'm kidding), the original Molex .093" connector those are based on, the KK254 or 396 series, TE MTA-100/156 for IDC.. various types of blade connector from the automotive world.

Offline JBealeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:15:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I've used a lot of Molex 0.093 type connectors in the past and never been too satisfied with the mechanics of it.  I just realized that there is an AMASS XT30 connector, which is similar but smaller than the XT60 and XT90 types.  I like the XT60 which seems to make a very solid connection, and is available fairly cheaply, so I think I'll try the XT30 for now.  There are probably good choices in the automotive sector also.  Thanks again.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:55:08 am »
Try the HXTs, they're nice.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt-8-0mm-hv-connector-set.html

Maybe a *little* overrated for you, but I'll bet you can get a whole bag of the housings and contacts super cheap.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:57 pm »
anderson power poles? they can be stacked and assembled into special connector blocks? and can be keyed to only go together one way. I used some on my 100 watt flashlight, gnd, + 12 , + 24 volts

Offline endevor100

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 02:53:19 am »
+1 for Anderson Powerpole style connectors. There's a bit of overhead buying in to get the crimper and extractor if you don't have something similar, but after you have the two tools you need everything else is cheap. I bought them through a company that a bunch of stuff I needed for a particular project, but they can be had from Amazon reasonably.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »
I like Anderson Powerpoles but UPSes which support 48 volt external battery packs often use a keyed banana connector similar to the guarded banana connectors on test instruments.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
Neutrik XLR and mini XLR used them a lot since some tips from this forum, real quality silver or even gold contacts with nice strength relief and relative cheap.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 05:51:34 pm »
Neutrik XLR and mini XLR used them a lot since some tips from this forum, real quality silver or even gold contacts with nice strength relief and relative cheap.

I know XLR connectors are sometimes used for power including line AC but that always strikes me as a dangerous practice considering their use for balanced audio and microphones.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »

I know XLR connectors are sometimes used for power including line AC but that always strikes me as a dangerous practice considering their use for balanced audio and microphones.

Anyone using an XLR for AC power is a tool.

They are regularly used for 12VDC (and higher), with precautions (not least not using 3-pin XLRs!).

Online The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
XLR connectors are not intended for ac mains use, and should never be used as such!

Below 50 Volt with limited current is ok, 3 pin are most used and cheapest, 4 pin has the same pin size and current
capability as 3 pin but less common.
Both are used on e-bike chargers. (typical up to 48V 5A)
5 pin and higher have smaller pins and lower current capability.

Make sure you get original Neutrik, the rip-offs are terrible quality and other A-brands are overpriced.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor

Offline coalago

• Contributor
  • strongmindinside@gmail.com
    • electric connector
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 11:53:59 am »
XT series, EC series
connectors,cable,metal and plastic components
www.share-electronics.com

Share me