Author Topic: Gravity Waves Detected  (Read 11158 times)

Offline chris_leysonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Gravity Waves Detected
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:08:07 am »
Gravity Waves have been detected by the LIGO interferometers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35524440
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35553549

Amazing if you think that this event occured 1.3 billion light years away, I guess that is 1.3E9 and only lasted 2 seconds.
Two binary black holes each 30 times the mass of the sun colliding would release E = mc2 = 60*2E30*(3E8)2
about 1049 Joules.

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Gravity Waves Detected
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:24:13 am »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:05:46 am »
Don't those light photons move in the same space that is being stretched and contracted? Why their movement is not affected by this deformation?

I don't really expect to get a good answer for this, because the only people who understand this are probably drinking right now :)

But in general, it is pretty awesome that such experiment is even possible.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:07:33 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:07:40 am »
Original announcement, starting 27:10

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:42:34 am »
Don't those light photons move in the same space that is being stretched and contracted? Why their movement is not affected by this deformation?
I wouldn't have thought so. There will be peeks and troughs in the waves which should cancel one another out.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:01:08 am »

The photon path is affected by the gravity wave. It is already affected by the presence of any massive object that deform the space-time. This is actually the essence of General Relativity.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:17 am »
I haven't learn about the detail. So is there any confirmation about the gravity speed?
Is it have same speed as light?

Offline chris_leysonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:09:16 am »
Wow thanks TheAmmoniacal I loved that, and they even played the chirp. History in the making. Interesting times ahead for gravitational wave astronomy.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:09:07 am »
I haven't learn about the detail. So is there any confirmation about the gravity speed?
Is it have same speed as light?

I dont think they can get any information on the speed of the gravity wave with this experiment with only two detectors, as there is no way to find he direction of the source. Maybe it will be possible when more detectors will be recording the same event. Virgo and KAGRA will be soon working...

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:37:16 am »
"It's the first time the Universe has spoken to us through gravitational waves. Up until now, we've been deaf."

The first statement is definitive wrong: gravitational waves, if right, happen every second of every day. So the universes always spoken.

The 2nd statement is correct.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline welterde

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:02:31 pm »
"It's the first time the Universe has spoken to us through gravitational waves. Up until now, we've been deaf."

The first statement is definitive wrong: gravitational waves, if right, happen every second of every day. So the universes always spoken.

The 2nd statement is correct.

I wouldn't say deaf per se.
If there had been an event more close by then VIRGO/GEO600/LIGO would have been able to hear it years ago.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:12:35 pm »
Well, I guess we thought we heard gravitational waves before but we were wrong. So there is still a chance that we are still deaf -> we just don't know yet.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 01:47:22 pm »
If there had been an event more close by then VIRGO/GEO600/LIGO would have been able to hear it years ago.

A big part of the detection is limited by geography: the detectors are so close to each other (4km?) that it can only detect "shorter" gravitational waves -> from smaller mass, astronomically speaking.

I suspect that long/longer gravitational waves are fairly abundant, if they really exist, but its detection requires sensors so far apart, on the scales of our solar system, or our galaxy, that it is practically impossible (at least now).

BTW, because of the duality, graviton must exist and we should be able to detect its spins. That's still unproven at this point.

Some people would use that as basis to dispute relativity as "unscientific theory", :)

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »
The most incredible for me thing was discovering the sensitivity of the interferometric sensors; they can detect a change in length of one part in 1021 which is just mind blowing.  That's the equivalent to the size of a nucleus in a 1750km length.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 06:19:56 pm »
They had major upgrades of sensors and dampeners that affected the readings, so until then even a car approaching the parking lot would affect the readings.

That work was done sometime in 2014, that's why it wasn't extremely useful 'till they work out the kinks.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 09:43:53 pm »
Gravity Waves

Gravitational waves. A gravity wave is a wave in a fluid caused by gravity (e.g. wind pushes water, gravity pulls back => oscillation).
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:16:17 pm »
You are right !

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:16 pm »
Original announcement, starting 27:10

Thank you for posting the video.
I was wondering what does it mean?
after reading and watching I believe we are going to see some MAJOR advances in our  understanding of the universe.
Kudos to LSU and all that worked on this project.
BTW I am convinced that I have almost zero knowledge on the math and science involved BUT I am trying to understand. :scared:
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 06:23:04 pm »

The photon path is affected by the gravity wave. It is already affected by the presence of any massive object that deform the space-time. This is actually the essence of General Relativity.
That will happen irrespective of whether the massive object is radiating gravity waves or not.

Offline profany

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
can somebody tell me what is the speed of gravity.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »

Gravity waves are just like light waves, except the charge is different (mass, not electric), there are no known negative charges, the sources have much lower frequencies, and they are harder to measure.  The propagation speed is identical (the speed of causality), and the quantum particle is a boson.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline AlessandroAU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 10:18:43 pm »

Gravity waves are just like light waves, except the charge is different (mass, not electric), there are no known negative charges, the sources have much lower frequencies, and they are harder to measure.  The propagation speed is identical (the speed of causality), and the quantum particle is a boson.

Tim

It is still not known if the hypothetical graviton actually exists!

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:46 pm »
It will be rather difficult to observe; the quanta from black hole mergers peak in the ueV range, and we have a hard enough time measuring macroscopic superpositions of them (i.e., classical waves)!

Or, likewise, at extremely high energies and densities, where quantum gravity becomes inevitable, and presumably, gravitons of comparable eV (we're talking 10^20+ here..) become detectable.

But such is the matter of cutting-edge physics.  It's not obvious at this time whether a "graviton" will remain a suitable explanation, but there's absolutely no doubt that, whatever theory evolves, all currently known physics (QCD and electroweak, GR) are contained within it, as a low-energy limit (just as E&M is a low-energy case of electroweak, and Newtonian mechanics is a low-energy case of GR).  Perhaps by then, we will have a more satisfactory explanation of our current theory of gravity, perhaps using a graviton, perhaps using something altogether more elegant.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 11:24:07 pm »
This is really cool, as far as I can understand the problem preventing detection earlier was noise from local sources, i.e. trucks driving by outside. It would be interesting to know how they managed to suppress the noise enough.

First time humanity detect anything from space other than electromagnetic waves! :D Does anyone know if they could determine the direction to the origin of the signal with this machine? I assume that could be done by linking several interferometers and keeping track of the delay between signals.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 11:27:15 pm »
Does anyone know if they could determine the direction to the origin of the signal with this machine? I assume that could be done by linking several interferometers and keeping track of the delay between signals.
They only had two locations working, so they were able to detect hemisphere, but not accurate direction.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf