Author Topic: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts  (Read 1650195 times)

Offline NWittje

Re: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts
« Reply #1225 on: August 15, 2015, 04:31:51 pm »
Hey,
for modding of the Titan X to an M6000, I could provide a Titan X bios, exact pictures of the back of one card, etc, and would be willed to try this on one as long as I dont have to go through extreme measures (like cooking the PCB or similar ;-)) Anyone like to tinker? Just tell me what you want on information :)

Offline Ninj

« Reply #1226 on: August 31, 2015, 09:27:15 am »
Hi,

I need my nVidia card to:
  • output 10bits/color (quadro feature)
  • be good at playing game

Or to say it differently: i want a good geforce (ie 970) to have some of the quadro capabilities (to work on photography), but keeping it as good as possible for games.

Is it possible? How to do that easily?

Thank you everyone ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:15:48 pm by Ninj »
My uncomplete computer: Mobo Asus Z170-A / CPU i7 6700K 4Ghz / RAM 16GB / SSD 500GB / Power 580W Gold / Cooler beQuiet PureRock

Offline grim_lokason

« Reply #1227 on: August 31, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »
Hello

I've a 680 that i modded to à grid k2 by removing 2 resistors .

I want to revert the mod but i loose the resistor  |O

do you know if i could use some wire and "classical"  resistors like those :

I don't really want to solding back cms resistor directly on the pcb ^^'

regards !
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:18:35 pm by grim_lokason »

Offline th14g0

« Reply #1228 on: September 01, 2015, 01:31:28 pm »
Can I convert a Quadro K6000 into a geforce? withone? How?

Thank you :)

Offline privateer

« Reply #1229 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:02 pm »

hi there,

I would like to run cad and analysis /virtualizations via vmware vdga so that my partner and i can access my server when were onsite etc.

ive got a Hp dl360 g6 with hex zeon x 2 and 32gb ram ssd and 4x  15k sas ...my firepro v7900 is not supported in vmware. so flogging it on ebay  ;D
 ill have to stick the graphics card on top or mod the back plate and heatsink to fit it inside the 1u case  :P

i'm interested in modding a 780ti or titan black into k6000/k5200 as Gordan stated doing.but im uneducated in this type of thing.  ive read all 82 pages of this chat and the GuzTech research page that was rather yielding  , still unsure on how to pull this off...is it the resistor in the same place as the 780 as on his page? (ive probally missed alot being quite dyslexic and forgotten the rest)

Could someone please post a photo of the board with the 18k resistor placement on the 780ti or black? what power rating aswell?. so i can collar a friend to solder it on with the re-flow gun , my hands are a little not quite that steady lol.
with regards to changing the soft straps
 ive read ijsfz's post at: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/489965/ and
 http://www.altechnative.net/2013/11/25/virtualized-gaming-nvidia-cards-part-3-how-to-modify-a-fermi-based-geforce-into-a-quadro-geforce-gts450gtx470gtx480-to-quadro-200050006000/

but unfamiliar with hex and most of it  goes over  my head.. is it as easy as it suggests here: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=2   I'm doubtful  what about changing the firmware to show up as 3g (780ti) or 6gb (titan black) if that is wise to do..

im basically asking for a beginners guide for modding a 780 ti and all the  info needed to fire it up into its Quadro façade
ill be asking around my friends at my local Hackspace in london   about figuring out softstrapping,reflashing the firmware etc. but you guys are obviously the core source of enlightenment .. 

thanks, Josh

Offline todda7

« Reply #1230 on: September 26, 2015, 01:08:36 pm »
Anyone know how to mod GTX 770 to a Quadro? What transistors and where?

Offline Black6spdZ

« Reply #1231 on: October 03, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »
has anyone modded a 780 ti classy kingpin with dual eeproms? not sure which one is normal and other ln2 but suppose i can solder to one and find out fairly quickly.

Offline Pitbull

« Reply #1232 on: October 07, 2015, 07:15:16 pm »
What should be changed to be able Titan X to M6000.[/img][/img][/img][/img

Offline Xors

« Reply #1233 on: November 08, 2015, 07:34:47 pm »
Greetings. The people who help out. I need to get out of the Tesla C2075 from GTX. For the price agreement. You have to buy the cheapest GTX (second-hand), make Tesla C2075, make photos and screenshots and send me an airmail with the total price. Sorry for my bad English. Thank translate.google  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:41:16 pm by Xors »

Offline GregS

« Reply #1234 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »
Hello,

I tried to set my GTX 770 (MSI N770-TF-2G/OC) into a Quadro K5000, I changed my resistors as describe in page 6 (40k, None, 15k, None).
My GTX is now a K2 so I think, I have to change the 15k by a lower (which value ?). The ID is 10DE-11BF (K2) and not 10DE-11BA (K5000).

Anyway, I need just to get the Grid compatibility, so I could stay like this ...

Thanks,

Offline bluebird

• Contributor
« Reply #1235 on: November 21, 2015, 12:21:19 am »
Hello,

I tried to set my GTX 770 (MSI N770-TF-2G/OC) into a Quadro K5000, I changed my resistors as describe in page 6 (40k, None, 15k, None).
My GTX is now a K2 so I think, I have to change the 15k by a lower (which value ?). The ID is 10DE-11BF (K2) and not 10DE-11BA (K5000).

Anyway, I need just to get the Grid compatibility, so I could stay like this ...

Thanks,

I have 0 experience in modding the cards, but according to the first page F should be 40K and 15k will give you A. Hope that helps.

Has anyone modified a Titan X yet?

Also are there any websites that sell New, old stock computer hardware? Or do we just have to look for used cards? Thanks a bunch!

Offline aqxavier

« Reply #1236 on: November 24, 2015, 12:53:19 pm »
The ID for the Quadro M6000 is 17F0
What would be the necessary configuration in the board for the exchange of ID?

Offline bluebird

• Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: November 25, 2015, 05:43:45 pm »
The ID for the Quadro M6000 is 17F0
What would be the necessary configuration in the board for the exchange of ID?

I believe it is 17C2. More info from previous posts. Please update us if you are attempting to modify the card! Thank you!

It's worth a shot, if all you need to do is alter the 3rd nibble. It's not like it's a difficult to undo change.

Are you positive you're not thinking of the Titan Black to K5200 conversion by mistake?  It would seem to fit your description better:
0x100C -> 0x103C

Titan X is Maxwell, so to convert to an M6000 the ID change would be 3rd and 4th nibbles:
0x17c2 -> 0x17f0

Btw, $10 says it was deliberately designed to not be a single nibble difference.  Plus, each nibble goes in a different direction.

But it would be great to have a 12GB converted card though... (stares off into space)

Offline aqxavier

« Reply #1238 on: November 25, 2015, 05:51:34 pm »
And you can tell me where on the board I change?

Offline Stickmode

« Reply #1239 on: December 10, 2015, 05:14:03 am »
Hi everyone, this question is for Gordan: I have a GTX690, and I'd like to mod this card to add more ram. In my research I discovered that this card uses the Samsung K4G20325FD-FC03 256MB BGA memory module, the GTX690 has 16 bga modules in total (8 by each GPU), that means 2GB per GPU. I want to replace those modules to this Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 with 512mb bga module. I checked both and they have the same specs, except the memory density, so I think it'll be fine for compatibility reasons. I have enough experience soldering BGA modules, so it will be easy.The downside is that someone told me that I have to mod the bios to address the new modules size. I know you mod your GTX680 4GB bios to 2GB, what I'll do is in reverse, modding my vbios from 2GB to 4GB. I know the script block that you mentioned in this forum before, and I have checked the vbios from other brands. All of them have the same init memory block, my question is: I have to patch the full block on my GTX690 bios? or just only the five hex keys that changed when you patched the bios?. I'm telling you this, because the other brands bios have more differences, allmost 10 hex keys to change in this block. Thanks in advance!!

Offline Bugsy

« Reply #1240 on: December 16, 2015, 03:01:21 pm »
I have an EVGA GTX 780-ti 3GB card Quadro modded with a toggle switch on the back (at the exit vents) - there is plenty of air movement, toggle switch is small such that the card mounts as normal, and other than the switch, there is nothing different from stock visible externally.

The mod was done as has been described here extensively (18K resistor on the EEPROM pins between SCLK / VCC), with a toggle switch to allow choosing GTX / Quadro as you need it. Flip the switch and you have a (as far as the BIOS reports) Quadro K6000 which will run Quadro drivers and work with various pro CAD applications, flip it back and you have a GTX 780ti (you have to boot after switching between modes, ofcourse).

Using PCI-passthrough in KVM / QEMU the modded Quadro is able to run natively in a Windows VM using the Quadro Drivers.

I no longer need the card and am going to put it up on eBay. For a non-EEVBlog user the added benefit of a cleanly Quadro modded GTX 780ti is probably entirely lost, hence I'm asking here if there would be any interest in this card.

I can post pictures if folks find it of interest.

Cheers,

B.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:03:36 pm by Bugsy »

Offline alex870

« Reply #1241 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:47 am »
I just discovered that for some reason, modding the 780Ti to a K6000 does not remove the artificial 1/8 FP64 performance degradation.  I expected FP64 performance to be controlled by the driver, so using a Quadro driver would make it fast.  However, after benchmarking on Cuda-Z and SiSoft Sandra, this clearly does not seem to be true.  In Sandra, there is no difference in FP64 performance between the 780Ti running GeForce drivers and Quadro drivers. 

This also appears to be a problem with the Titan Black to K5200 transformation, which is even more puzzling, since the Black must have firmware support for full speed double precision as it's a supported feature. 

Has anyone confirmed or looked into this? 
-thx!

--- update ---

Just noticed for guztech's original 780 -> K20 mod, he had on the to-do list: "Full double precision floating point support like the Tesla K20(X) and GTX Titan."
So there's probably a identity setting in the firmware that tells the card which of the 3 states to operate in: FP64 full, FP64 degraded or FP64 selectable. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:31:12 am by alex870 »

Offline alex870

« Reply #1242 on: December 19, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
I think both Quadro and GeForce suffer from FP64 performance capping. Only Tesla has full FP64 capability.
TTX will NOT work, since full sized Maxwell does not have FP64 at all (possibly limited by power dissipation), that's why there is no Tesla M80.

Thanks for your reply, I think I found the answer - it's limited in the firmware of the GeForce cards, so only changing the device ID is insufficient to restore it.  Unfortunately I use PCI passthrough, so that makes life more tricky, otherwise the top end gaming cards would be great. 

I read that the Maxwell design prioritized FP32 over FP64.  Since they didn't do a process shrink from Kepler, I guess something had to be given up.  The die was already massive as it was.  Pascal will get a proper shrink from 28nm to 16nm, although memory will be capped at 16GB - I expected they'd go to 24 for scientific compute applications.

Offline cirthix

• Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: December 21, 2015, 07:27:08 am »
Can anyone summarize which spi flash pins correspond to which nibbles?  I'd like to find the appropriate resistors for my gtx 980 (10de-13c0) to change to m5000 (10de-13f0). 

Offline ExplicitNuM5

« Reply #1244 on: December 25, 2015, 12:44:48 am »
Well, first we need to be able to know whether a mod to the Quadro for Maxwell cards is possible. After all, we never got around modding Maxwell cards. All the cards that are solved in this thread are Kepler.
As for the reply with the M5000, someone needs to physically own the card to determine what caps to replace, and with what.

Offline marcello.zampolla

« Reply #1245 on: January 09, 2016, 05:23:12 pm »
is it possible to hack a Titan X into a quadro M6000?
However, I have to totally forget the soft mod?

Offline petcz

« Reply #1246 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:31 am »
Hi, I am working on a project that needs OpenGL quad buffered stereo. There is already some weak support in GeFroce drivers, but as far as I know it is very limited (only fullscreen app on primary display). Could someone please test, whether there is a better support of NVidia shutter glasses on modded GeForce with Windows Quadro drivers? I am thinking about modifying 780 or 970, but before diving in, I'd like to know, whether it would help with the following:
- OpenGL quadbuffer support in window mode
- OpenGL quadbuffer support for non-primary screen
- OpenGL quadbuffer support for multiple screens
- Mosaic support for 6 screens (2x970)
- Force stereoscopic mode

- Is it possible to mod 970 to some quadro counter part?

Thank you

Offline kengreen

« Reply #1247 on: February 02, 2016, 03:41:43 pm »
I would be interested in the gtx 780 Ti card from Bugsy or if it is sold, detailed pictures of the modification to Quadro K6000
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:44:00 pm by kengreen »

Offline der-coder

« Reply #1248 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:23 pm »
Hello everybody,

i have a simple question, did anyone know which size of resistors i need for modding my card ?
Does anyone have an ebay link where i can consume some 15k, 20k and 40k resistors with the correct size ?

greethings

der-coder

Offline InfinityMod

Re: Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts
« Reply #1249 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:26 pm »

I can confirm the mod done by blanka.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg210798/#msg210798
But I pimped it a little bit.

670GTX to K5000 works!

R4 on the front side.
R1, R2, R3 on the bottom side.

K5000 works absolutely stable for me, but has no performance increase in SPECviewperf. I tested with few different Quadro drivers.

Summary
GPU Name         R1 / 0-7 4th byte        R2 / 8-f 4th byte   R3/ 3th (high)   R4 / 3th (low)
GTX 660Ti          20K                            None                       None             25k
GTX 670            None                           10K                        None              25k
tesla k10           none                            40K                         None            25k
Quadro k5000    none                            15k                          40K            none
grid k2              none                            40K                          40K            none

I flashed it (EVGA 670GTX 2GB 915MHz) with the K5000 bios from techpowerup.
"nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 K5000.rom" had to be used because of different subsystem and board id.

It started with minor pixel errors but booted into win7.
After driver installation and reboot win7 didn't start anymore.
Flashing it back worked without problems.

Hi,
I did some research on my own about the GTX670/660ti vendor layouts because I wanted to have a cheap Grid K2 from ebay.
I want to share with you the things I found out the last two days.
Please be aware that this is only theoretical stuff, so I never tried it out by my own and it's on your own risk if you try it out!
If you want to try it, it would be kind if you reply if it works.

Now the explanation:
1. By comparing the various GTX670/660TI layouts I found out that the Gigabyte 660TI layout seems to be exactly the same layout like the normal original NVIDIA GTX670 layout.
2. I found a high resolution picture of the  Gigabyte 660TI back- and frontside and seperated the important views of  capacitor 1 to 4 (picture 1).
3. By random I saw that fortunately the capacitors have names beneath them (e.g. R137).
4. I seperated the capacitor names as you can see on the right side in picture 1.
5. I also compared the layouts of various vendors and found other vendors with the same layout like the Gigabyte 660TI. I wrote the models ontop each different layout. Please reply whether I made a failure.
6. By searching throught the various vendor layouts I recognized that the Asus 660TI Cards and also the MSI 660Ti Cards have named capacitors.
7. The Asus 660TI has the same layout like the Asus 670. By writing up the names of the capacitors again I found the probably right capacitors you have to modify (have a look at picture 2 and 3).

Here some overview:
NVIDIA GTX670 Layout:
Gigabyte GTX660TI
Zotac GTX660TI AMP!
PointOfView GTX670
Evga GTX670
NVIDIA GTX670

ASUS GTX660TI DirectCU II Layout:
ASUS GTX670 DirectCU II
ASUS GTX660TI DirectCU II

MSI GTX660TI TI Power OC Layout:
MSI GTX660TI TI Power OC