Author Topic: Happy Towel Day 2017 !  (Read 4622 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
Happy Towel Day 2017 !
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:49:31 am »
And for those who think that German_EE has finally lost it.......

http://www.towelday.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: dexters_lab, Avacee

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Happy Towel Day 2017 !
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:41:11 am »

On the contrary, German_EE,
I believe it's a wake up call to struggling techs, EEs and hobbyists to either book a flight off this planet with -ET Spaceways-   :-+
or stock up on cheap towels, for the big payoff once a year  :palm:

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
Happy Wear the Lilac Day / Glorious Revolution of May 25th to you too, German_EE!

I made a .calendar file of all the obscure "nerd holidays" (Pi Approximation Day, Programmer's Day, Yuris Night, and the usual suspects) but it turns out I never really check.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
Next big world wide event due is  PINK RUBBER HOLSTER Multimeter Day 

Just make sure it's a Cat 4 meter, in case work mates play a HV joke ..and it goes south     :o

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:47:36 am by Electro Detective »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 02:48:08 pm »
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

There are people who can enthusiastically read through an entire novel of this bullshit?
 :-// :=\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:50:16 pm by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:46:35 pm »

On the contrary, German_EE,
I believe it's a wake up call to struggling techs, EEs and hobbyists to either book a flight off this planet with -ET Spaceways-   :-+
or stock up on cheap towels, for the big payoff once a year  :palm:

I take it as a yearly reminder to get my health check and ensure my cardio system is as healthy as I can make it to save me suffering the same fate that got Douglass.

And yeah GK, some of us enjoy a little humour in our escapism. It's not for everyone, however nothing is.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:03:59 pm »
Reminds me of Mr. Towelie:

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, JPortici

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:26:24 am »
"There are people who can enthusiastically read through an entire novel of this bullshit?"

Humour is a very individual thing, I like Monty Python but my father used to sit and watch it with a blank look on his face and just not get it. As for Douglas Adams, this is a man who..............

Issued instructions on how to fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss

Published a trilogy in five parts

Made us realise that a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Uncovered a fundamental principle of US politics, that anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Douglas Adams made a lot of people smile, it looks like you aren't one of them, but that's OK.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: john_c

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:12:26 am »
Hasn't there been enough damage done to people's minds by characters like Douglas Adams and all those other weirdos over the decades we've had to tolerate pushed in our faces  (who may be closet boozers, dopers, or dropped on kitchen floors as babies.. more than twice)

It's ok to point out the obvious such as he "Uncovered a fundamental principle of US politics, that anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."  Any 12 year old studying history and politics can work it out and come to that obvious conclusion!  :clap:

but did he point out how long this has been going on and WHY,
and a solution to get the right HONEST patriot to be allowed to do the job?

It's like the plethora of sore loser Trump bashers, what are they bringing to the suggestion table except lemming style dung flinging at the current PRESIDENT of their nation,
who has to pick up the pieces the last guy left him, and sort it out.  :-//   The 'last guy' that was in office for how long, and what was it he achieved?  :palm:

Towel Day is SHEER BS, just like Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Any X Day that turns a fast dollar..  8)

btw Monty Python isn't funny at any perceived level,
anyone sitting through such an ordeal with a blank look on their face is a NORMAL person,
and should be running for President  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:00:26 pm »
Why, Electro Detective, do you feel the need to be so vituperative about some comedy you don't like and anybody who likes said comedy?

You weren't forced to join in; if you don't like the subject you could have just passed quietly by. None of this was "pushed in [your] face", you chose to pay attention. That you chose to pay attention, and then complain about it, says rather more about you than I think you intended.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Frank, BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 11:18:48 pm »
LOL, any more Monty Python defenders at EEVblog ? Some mothers do av em I suppose   ;D

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 08:17:59 am »
LOL, any more Monty Python defenders at EEVblog ? Some mothers do av em I suppose   ;D

Yep, but opinions are like arseholes. We all have them and they're best kept to yourself.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 08:39:17 am »
I see your point, that even the most bland Clint Eastwood one liners rate better than monty python wankery  :palm:

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:34 am »
There are people who can enthusiastically read through an entire novel of this bullshit?

i do! i do! i love the nonsense

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 09:43:39 am »

i do! i do! i love the nonsense

Thanks, I get it now    :-+  I forgot how the majority roll  :palm:

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 10:05:58 am »
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.
As an ex hitchhiker, backbacker, I too have learned the value of the towel. Though I preferred the lighter version a Sarong or Lungi.
I have seen them put to many interesting tasks. Straining the pulp out of a mango lassi, carrying rocks and a net for fishing.

I'm a big fan of the radio plays, still remember the first night I heard them.
So don't knock them cause if you do you're just displaying your own lamentable existence.  ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 10:16:22 am »
It's become sadly obvious I'm outnumbered here with no choice but to  'throw in the towel'   :horse:

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf