Author Topic: Have you noticed youtube is slowly ramping up the ads?  (Read 16681 times)

Offline yadaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Have you noticed youtube is slowly ramping up the ads?
« on: May 25, 2017, 03:26:21 am »
This is exactly what I expected to happen. Its just like satellite radio or cable TV back in the day. This is what I have noticed:

Ads will play for 2 seconds then restart, then play for three seconds then restart. It seems like a harmless reload but I have only seen it happen to ads on videos with ads.

Commercials are now playing at not the just the beginning but the end and middle as well. Soon it will be more then one in the middle or you will see them back to back. This can be annoying when you are searching for something and you just want to quickly see if the video is helpful.

More and more ads are not giving you the option of skipping to the video. I notice I will watch some ads like the oscilloscope/travel ads or if I can't skip I mute them. That's why I liked the six second thing: if I'm not interested in your ad in the first few seconds I'm not going to change my mind and suddenly be interested in the google air freshener just because its 15 seconds later.

The targeted ad thing feels like a total invasion of privacy, I see ads for things relevant to recent emails from a gmail account to close family and don't browse on the web. Not a coincidence happens a lot.

I have a house in America I stay in for half the year and I don't even bother getting TV, just the slow internet. The worst thing for me is American news at 6:00PM on a week day. Its almost 50% commercials, then on top of that they mention their sponsors and spend a lot of the remaining time talking about the stories they are going to play after the commercials. In a 30 minute news program only about 7 minutes was actual news, I timed it on my phone today. No wonder why these people have no idea what's going on, their news has been whored out down to 7 minutes a day, rest are ads for pills that people cant get because they have no health insurance.

Soon it will be like American cable TV, a rip off, you are paying a lot of money per year just so they can make more money off of you. If 40% of my cable is going to be ads I want 40% off my bill. Even if they did that they would still make a killing.

The following users thanked this post: debininja, Electro Detective

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Have you noticed youtube is slowly ramping up the ads?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:36:47 am »
that's the reality of the fucked up world we live in...and it's only going to get worst...

The following users thanked this post: stj, Jacon

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:57 am »
You can always setup your very own video sharing service with a worldwide reach capable of dealing with 1000 petabytes of storage across numerous data centers that can deliver extraordinary amounts of bandwidth to supply millions of simultaneous users - and give it away for free. Maybe monetize it well enough to break even and call is a public service?

Nope - you charge for that. Either direct billing or advertising. It is one or the other.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:50:08 am »
You can always setup your very own video sharing service with a worldwide reach capable of dealing with 1000 petabytes of storage across numerous data centers that can deliver extraordinary amounts of bandwidth to supply millions of simultaneous users - and give it away for free. Maybe monetize it well enough to break even and call is a public service?

Nope - you charge for that. Either direct billing or advertising. It is one or the other.

That's a simple solution. Its like when I had a problem with my cell phone bill. I just cancelled it went out a set up my own proprietary network. Same with prescription drugs, the cost was too high so I just hired some chemists and bought all of the equipment and got gov. licenses to make my own.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:07:37 am by yada »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:06:24 am »

That's a simple solution. Its like when I had a problem with my cell phone bill. I just cancelled it went out a set up my own proprietary network. Same with prescription drugs, the cost was to high so I just hired some chemists and bought all of the equipment and got gov. licenses to make my own.

Totally. I also save money by designing and manufacturing my own cars that are efficient, safe, and very reliable. Honda is ripping me off!  :-DD
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Doc Daneeka

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:14:11 am »
I noticed recently ad block no longer works for me: if it is enabled I get an unskippable 10 minute ad at the start of every video....

it was good while it lasted...

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 04:14:25 am »

That's a simple solution. Its like when I had a problem with my cell phone bill. I just cancelled it went out a set up my own proprietary network. Same with prescription drugs, the cost was to high so I just hired some chemists and bought all of the equipment and got gov. licenses to make my own.

Totally. I also save money by designing and manufacturing my own cars that are efficient, safe, and very reliable. Honda is ripping me off!  :-DD
  Hondas, like most Japanese cars, are far from safe... tin can death traps...

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 04:19:05 am »
I noticed recently ad block no longer works for me: if it is enabled I get an unskippable 10 minute ad at the start of every video....

That's evil!!!! Whats the program called "ad block"? Is it a browser plug in?

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 04:23:11 am »

That's evil!!!! Whats the program called "ad block"? Is it a browser plug in?

"ad block plus" plug-in for firefox browser

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:12 am »
They started serving ads from youtube.com domain. The ads are basically youtube videos now on the advertiser channel.

This is hard to block, so I just paid for YouTube Red. $10/month totally worth it, IMO. I get more value than this out of YouTube.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, rx8pilot

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 04:34:35 am »
What ataradov says... get YouTube Red.  Seriously.  It's damned nice.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, rx8pilot, Jacon

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 04:59:15 am »
where there's a will theres a way. Its not rocket science. back in the day we did it all by hand. None o that googly stuff.. just clean bits and bytes. and your text editor and jennycam.  Find em, fuck em and forget em that was her motto..
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 06:00:48 am »
I've had AdBlock in my browser for more than a decade, I don't know how anyone uses the internet without it. Every now and then I try on a PC that doesn't have it and it's so cluttered that it's unusable. So far I don't get youtube ads but I don't watch a whole lot of youtube. If I do start seeing a lot of ads I'll dump it, not much on there I really need anyway. I never used to mind the occasional commercial but I think they've gotten a lot more irritating in recent years as well as having been accustomed to blocking them my tolerance has gone way down. I pay for Netflix since it doesn't have any ads, but I won't pay for anything that still shows ads and I'm not going to subscribe to a bunch of different pay services.

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 06:01:47 am »
They started serving ads from youtube.com domain.

I haven't seen any ads on youtube in years, but if they've started doing this it will be annoying. There's no way I'd pay to avoid it, because I actually don't spend that much time there. Normally I just go directly to channels I like to see if there's anything new and then follow links from there or search if I'm in the mood to waste time.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:46 am »
They've also been doing weird stuff to screw with adblockers.  For a while I was getting 2 minute ads that were unskippable even with ublock.  I switched to Adblock Plus and the ads went away.  But for a while I kept having to hit reload a bunch of times to get videos to even load.  Static ads are fine, but I will not tolerate commercials. That is pushing it.  Though part of the issue with ads in general now days is that they are also a spying vehicle. 

Youtube in general seems to keep doing lot of stuff to piss people off though.  Users, and youtubers alike.   There really needs to be competition but reality is it's near impossible to make money with a site like that, it costs too much in bandwidth.  Not even sure if Google actually makes money off it alone.  They just make enough money with their overall platform that they can continue to operate it and probably make money indirectly due to the fact that it ties in with everything else. Ex: the data they collect from Youtube use can benifit other systems.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 06:40:23 am »
Not had an advert ever with ublock origin. Gets rid of Facebook ones too.

On the phone it's adverts for Amazon crap every time. Gets a bit monotonous when you know what the advert is going to be. I hate not having my phone rooted.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, debininja

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 07:20:07 am »
Not at all.  My ad blocker seems to work perfectly.  It is Bluhell Firewall.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:22:21 am by JoeN »
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »
If you subscribe to Google Play music then you get Youtube Red for free, well at least in Australia you do

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 03:46:26 pm »
In a 30 minute news program only about 7 minutes was actual news, I timed it on my phone today. No wonder why these people have no idea what's going on, their news has been whored out down to 7 minutes a day, rest are ads for pills that people cant get because they have no health insurance.
The other 6 minutes are fake news? Or some "shocking" item?

I have not noticed an increase in youtube ads, probably because Youtube RED is not available in the netherlands.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »
Unfortunately, if one wants high-quality, hi-def, large content selection video streaming service, one has to pay for it ...one way or another.

I have tested several paid streaming services. From Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube Red and others I don't remember.

Every single one  will have its strengths and weaknesses, and available content varies significantly.

For me, I decided on YouTube Red because it contains a lot of the type of content I watch. Being a fellow technical forum poster, you may already guess what that content is: lots of technical, historical and science videos.

If you are into TV series, by all means get Hulu plus.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »
There got to be a balance and if a media (newspaper, video service, radio station, etc) do not keep it trying to influence people, they achieve the opposite effect-people stop using it alltogether, so the media loses the reach and cant influence anymore.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rustybronco

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
Actually I have not.

I dropped cable two years ago and don't have OTH capabilities. Don't miss them either. Hulu, Amazon (both shared) and You Tube are the only things I have now. I prefer it that way.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 04:59:16 pm »
Advertisements have gotten more and more obnoxious in hopes of standing out among the noise and it just pushes me more and more to tune them out. Old commercials from the 50-60s don't bother me at all, they're generally to the point, show what the product is and what it does and that's it, none of the weird abstract crap they have now. Another thing that bugs me is commercials are so loud, it's obvious they crank up the audio as high as possible so I always have to mute it. Then there's the repetition, I've seen the same commercial back to back more than once.

Online it's the same way. I didn't mind banner ads, but then animated ones started to appear, then animated with sounds, annoying blinking/flashing stuff, then there was the popup epidemic, and then auto-play video, uhg! About the time the popup plague hit the first ad blockers appeared and once I found those I never looked back. I block all that crap now, my tolerance for advertisements has pretty much hit zero. If they'd left it at unobtrusive banner ads then ad blocking never would have become a thing.

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:52 pm »
So far on youtube, the ads have come from a different domain than youtube.com, that's how ad blockers work. The ad blockers can't really tell the difference between different types of content, just where they come from. If youtube starts feeding the ads from the top level domain or the same domain as the videos are sourced from, blocking them will become very difficult.

The following users thanked this post: debininja

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 05:27:19 pm »
Another thing that bugs me is commercials are so loud, it's obvious they crank up the audio as high as possible so I always have to mute it.

There was a 70s project, published on one of the many hobby electronics magazines of the day, which detected the incoming audio level with a comparator and would switch a power resistor in series with the loudspeaker to lower the volume.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf