Author Topic: Hell freezes over...  (Read 12118 times)

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hell freezes over...
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »
“After 43 years, this is the first day that we are announcing, and will be distributing, a custom
Linux kernel,” Microsoft President Brad Smith said on stage at an event in San Francisco.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/microsoft-azure-sphere-is-powered-by-linux-2018-4/

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Re: Hell freezes over...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »
The End Is Nigh  :scared:

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:58:24 pm »
Linux with 60% more bluescreen.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
Actually this is more electronics: "Microsoft has designed an Arm Linux IoT cloud chip"
But you do realize that Microsoft is supporting the Linux foundation for a long time

The following users thanked this post: diyaudio, Zucca

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:57 pm »
I thought this was going to be about the Leafs making the playoffs.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Miti

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:45:37 pm »
That would be the Leafs winning the playoffs.
I am available for freelance work.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:54:10 pm »
“After 43 years, this is the first day that we are announcing, and will be distributing, a custom
Linux kernel,” Microsoft President Brad Smith said on stage at an event in San Francisco.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/microsoft-azure-sphere-is-powered-by-linux-2018-4/

The most popular variant of Unix in the 1980s was Xenix - made and sold by Microsoft.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:56:00 pm »
Actually this is more electronics: "Microsoft has designed an Arm Linux IoT cloud chip"
But you do realize that Microsoft is supporting the Linux foundation for a long time
I don't know whether people are willing to invest in a platform when Microsoft dropped it without much care last time.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:32:28 pm »
I don't know whether people are willing to invest in a platform when Microsoft dropped it without much care last time.

Also see the history of Microsoft's PlaysForSure(TM).

"DRM servers related to PlaysForSure were turned off August 31, 2008, meaning that any operating system upgrade or migration rendered all content unplayable"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:51:36 pm »
Also see the history of Microsoft's PlaysForSure(TM).

"DRM servers related to PlaysForSure were turned off August 31, 2008, meaning that any operating system upgrade or migration rendered all content unplayable"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure
That doesn't seem to be very related. You could point to a dozen well supported Microsoft products since that time. The IoT platform has been a solid and recent bust, though.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 06:03:10 pm »
Anybody remember Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio? I didn't think so.

They jumped on the robotics bandwagon big time about 10 years ago. Doesn't look like it's been updated since 2012.

Microsoft is real good at jumping on bandwagons.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 06:08:09 pm »
That is the problem with Microsoft. They have created a lot of 'new' technologies and then dropped them or made new versions incompatible. Look at Silverlight or Windows CE for example. In general relying on technology (other than the Windows platform) from Microsoft is a very bad idea.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:14:24 pm »
Is it compatible with Microsoft Bob?

Actually since all of Microsoft best products have been bought, copied or stolen it might be quite good.  Until they lose interest/politics and drop it.  VB6 forever...

Offline rt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 06:32:56 pm »
Linux with 60% more bluescreen.

Hence 'Azure' as I'm sure you're aware.
Until proven otherwise, all TED talk presenters should be considered as charismatic charlatans.

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 06:43:05 pm »

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 07:26:48 pm »

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »
That is the problem with Microsoft. They have created a lot of 'new' technologies and then dropped them or made new versions incompatible. Look at Silverlight or Windows CE for example. In general relying on technology (other than the Windows platform) from Microsoft is a very bad idea.

Google does the same with their services..

How many chat apps have they made already, all incompatible with each other?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:53 pm »
You could point to a dozen well supported Microsoft products since that time.

There are no well supported Microsoft products. Even if you manage to get high up the support hierarchy to product managers you’re fucked. I have spent many years dealing with them on a daily basis and you would be insane to trust them in any capacity to be there when the shit hits the fan.

Every contract you sign is basically Emperor Ming’s wedding vows.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:48 pm »
There are no well supported Microsoft products. Even if you manage to get high up the support hierarchy to product managers you’re fucked. I have spent many years dealing with them on a daily basis and you would be insane to trust them in any capacity to be there when the shit hits the fan.

Every contract you sign is basically Emperor Ming’s wedding vows.
"Support" meaning you can depend on it being there and being updated. Windows is well supported. Exchange is well supported. Office is well supported. There's a not insignificant list of well supported products.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:29:36 pm »
There yes. Updated yes. Working no. Our help desk didn’t like the ten calls a day asking who Al was.

“Reply Al” appeared in office 365 last year for a bit.

Couldn’t get that fixed for 4 months.

And then there’s the old Forefront refusing to receive mail from a domain with DKIM, SPF and DMARC configured properly. 2 months for a support resolution because someone had broken the configuration on our regional cluster.

And the two days downtime when their own consultants fucked up our migration.

That’s just office 365.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:58 pm »
There yes. Updated yes. Working no. Our help desk didn’t like the ten calls a day asking who Al was.

“Reply Al” appeared in office 365 last year for a bit.

Couldn’t get that fixed for 4 months.

And then there’s the old Forefront refusing to receive mail from a domain with DKIM, SPF and DMARC configured properly. 2 months for a support resolution because someone had broken the configuration on our regional cluster.

And the two days downtime when their own consultants fucked up our migration.

That’s just office 365.
I never claimed Office365 is well supported. ;D Dance with the devil and pay the price.

Online Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 05:23:34 am »
"Support" meaning you can depend on it being there and being updated. Windows is well supported. Exchange is well supported. Office is well supported. There's a not insignificant list of well supported products.

I think you have just listed most of them.

Microsoft has gained a well deserved reputation for dropping products on a whim.  Companies (customers) have invested time and money in these, only to be f#ck#d over.  Not every company is large enough to rewrite systems every time MS change their mind/management.  Just look at Silverlight and LightSwitch as a couple of more recent examples.  They they are wondering why they are losing market share, quite simple, no one in the industry trusts them any more.

BTW, who in MS thought it would be a good idea to redefine CSV as Character Separated Value, then decided the default character would be different in different countries so should be buried down in Regional Settings?   WTF were they thinking?

My current problem is a bug in Windows 1703 breaking a report writer.  The fix is to delete an update.  But these computers are running Pro, so are set not to load updates as they come out.  So they are now loading the full 1703 Windows update, which contains the unfixed bug.....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:35:55 am by Towger »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 06:19:36 am »
A large financial company in the U.K. built their front office stuff on silverlight. That was expensive to replace.

Now it’s Qt.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 01:24:34 pm »
A large financial company in the U.K. built their front office stuff on silverlight. That was expensive to replace.

Now it’s Qt.
QT as in QuickTime?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 01:27:39 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf