Author Topic: Help!! I don't feel like doing anything  (Read 16676 times)

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help!! I don't feel like doing anything
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 11:53:27 pm »
If it makes you feel better I have no IRL friends (besides family) and can harldly manage do anything productive anymore due to circumstances. I get pretty depressed thinking about things, but luckily I'm canadian!  ;D

I really need a dog.  :'(
Gone for good

Offline Marvo

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2018, 12:07:51 am »
I think there's a big difference between not having motivation and being depressed.

You're obviously not getting motivated by necessity because you don't have any needs. You have food, lodgings, internet access, several hundred TV channels on tap and probably some spending money should you need it all laid on without any input being required from you (I'm guessing) so the only thing that's going to motivate you is finding a challenge that you enjoy.

You're really lucky, it took decades in the rat race before I was in a position to focus on doing things I enjoyed rather than things I had to out of necessity. I also have days I don't feel like working and I just fuel up the bike and go ride for a couple of days.

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 12:29:25 am »
Might buy some vitamin D and see what happens. Probably very expensive piss generated.

Shop online to get an idea of price range first. If you just walk into a random chemist shop you can pay ridiculous $ for them. But there are quite cheap sources.  Most recent lot I bought (in a chemist) were AUD12 for 250 capsules, 1000 IU. At 2 per day that lasts a long time. But I've had much better prices than that.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline theleakydiode

• Regular Contributor
  • I've got no idea what I'm doing.
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 03:48:27 am »
So vitamin D tablets can really help? I just find it so weird that not many people seem to take them here, I asked a family remember and they replied with "sounds like american rubbish". No offence to any Americans but that's the response I got.  :palm:

Can't believe this stiff upper lip stuff still prevails in 2018.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:59:57 am by theleakydiode »

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2018, 06:17:05 am »
Might buy some vitamin D and see what happens. Probably very expensive piss generated.

Vitamin D (liquid form) and curcumin root (fresh root not powder) are useful for depression

http://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(16)30675-2/fulltext

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2018, 05:04:58 pm »
I seem to recall there was a recent study published in a non-quack journal that suggested some original research in vitamin D that determined the recommended daily intake was off by a significant factor (like 8-12x too low).

Only on mobile, so can't look it up easily right now, but it seemed legit at the time I read it.

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2018, 11:57:30 pm »
It makes sense. Over the counter medications here are very weak, i usually take 2 Super Strength tablets of Tylenol in order to feel any effect. Regular Strength i am not sure for whom, perhaps for infants..?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 01:07:38 am »
SAM-e
5-HTP
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 08:35:16 am »
Fug man, I know this feeling, and thinking about it what others said is pretty helpful for getting past it. Try doing something different to take a break, binge on a TV series or a youtube channel, play a computer game, build a shelf, go for a camping trip...

I recall being tired of engineering not long ago, and my break was watching Better Call Saul and 3D printing a robocop gun ;^)

Also as others have said body chemistry plays a big role with depression, are you sure you are getting all the vitamins you need, or have an abundance of others? I can tell you that having too little/much iron is a big factor with mental health, so my advice is to get a blood test and see if your levels are within average. For example having too much iron might mean you have hemochromatosis and this is a thing you need to get under control as soon as possible otherwise you will go through waves of depression without knowing why.

EDIT: It's really good that this sort of stuff is being talked about, typically you don't hear much about mental health problems in engineering
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:46:31 pm by ANTALIFE »

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 10:29:50 am »
It's something foisted upon us by our culture, especially in school, that we have to be doing something ALL of the time.

Try meditation. Works wonders for dispelling that notion, and for focusing the mind on the task in hand.

Offline theleakydiode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:07 am »
Well I just tried vitamin D3 tablets and so far all it did was give me a headache and make my mouth taste weird the next day, I must be one sick puppy.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2018, 10:51:44 am »
Well I just tried vitamin D3 tablets and so far all it did was give me a headache and make my mouth taste weird the next day, I must be one sick puppy.
I doubt vitamin D3 would help the OP. He lives in south Asia, probably high up, where there's plenty of UV, even at this time of year!

I think there's a big difference between not having motivation and being depressed.
True, but lack of motivation is a very common symptom of depression. Please read the first post again. The parts in bold are very strong indicators of a depressive disorder.
I have been working on several projects. But since few days ago, I don't feel like doing anything. I am 25 years old. My parents are the best parents one can have. I am neither poor nor rich. I am fortunate to have food on my plate and roof over my head. But I just feel like I have no purpose. Whenever I try to do something, I feel like for what? For whom? Why? I have no motivation left. I feel like if I were to disappear today, it wouldn't matter. Why learn things when it doesn't matter? Why sit for hours and solder inhaling fumes? Why wake up at nights fixing your code? Why do anything? The world doesn't care. No one cares. I am sorry if I am breaking rules and posting it here. I just wanted to share this with someone.
As others have said, if this happens occasionally, this is normal, but if it's a weekly occurrence, then seek help.

25 is a good age to leave the nest.
Belgium and Nepal have very different cultures and standards what is a good time for what.
It's also a very bad idea if one is depressed. Moving out will not solve the problem and if you're going to be living on your own, then it will certainly make it worse!

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 12:58:57 pm »
Alcohol is the trademark antidepressant of the UK. And no it doesn't work!

It surely is a good solution against boredom.
I always have a lot of new problems after a good night full of alcohol.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 01:14:16 pm »

https://youtu.be/hUVwR0rw5fk

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2018, 05:33:54 pm »

My latest blood test came back with low Vitamin D (well, it is winter in the UK!) and I've been told to take supplements. Apart from any other factors, Vitamin D is important for facilitating Calcium uptake into the bones - particularly important for those with underlying health conditions or advancing years.

BTW, Alcohol consumption reduces Vitamin D uptake.  :'(
Best Regards, Chris

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2018, 05:39:21 pm »
Vitamin D is important for facilitating Calcium uptake into the bones - particularly important for those with underlying health conditions or advancing years.

Dried prunes are great for bone strength but next to no one knows it

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5409740/pdf/nutrients-09-00401.pdf

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2018, 06:52:15 pm »
I think the OP is not interested a long winded discussion of vitamin D. He or She have a self doubt as we all have at times. I can tell from my personal experience that it sucks, but it doesn't kill you as you are the one in control. For me the thing were to just enjoy the small everyday joys, some weeks I miserably failed, but in the long run I wouldn't give away a day. Which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:55:57 pm by Vtile »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2018, 07:59:40 pm »
I think the OP is not interested a long winded discussion of vitamin D. He or She have a self doubt as we all have at times. I can tell from my personal experience that it sucks, but it doesn't kill you as you are the one in control. For me the thing were to just enjoy the small everyday joys, some weeks I miserably failed, but in the long run I wouldn't give away a day. Which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Some level of self doubt is normal, but going by the first post, it appears to be much more than that: "I have no purpose.", "if I were to disappear today, it wouldn't matter.", "The world doesn't care. No one cares.". That negative pattern of thinking is more than self-doubt, especially if it's gone on for longer than a week or so, it's depression and it can kill, which is why it's important to seek help.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »
Fyi. Help, yes if it is someone that can help you to reprogram your head. Unfortunately in the western societies the only thing you could get from official "help" is prescription for some heroin derivative, when you painted your living room with a wrong color. Next seven years you spend in the rehab. Week Pff.. that time is not even a worth to mention in a persons life

I could have written the OP post say like late teens or OPs age, nothing special OP just need to find his thing what ever it is, be it something trivial or something high flying.

The truth is your life is for you, no one really cares how you spend it. Parents or close persons do care, but they have their vision at how your life should look like. It is double edged sword depending ones personality. There is no standard what is a good life, spend it how ever you feel satisfied, even if it seems worthless from others biased viewpoints.

For me personally I would only feel satisfied in intellectual viewpoint when I know everything, including the meaning of the life. I'm rather satisfied for my living today when I finally realized (..or admitted to my self) that I couldn't ever know everything. That is what I know, I can not know everything.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:44:55 pm by Vtile »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:58 pm »
Fyi. Help, yes if it is someone that can help you to reprogram your head. Unfortunately in the western societies the only thing you could get from official "help" is prescription for some heroin derivative, when you painted your living room with a wrong color. Next seven years you spend in the rehab. Week Pff.. that time is not even a worth to mention in a persons life.
What the fuck? Being pissed of for painting your living room the wrong colour is not depression, but normal. Any doctor prescribing drugs for that should be struck off.

And heroin derivatives aren't used to treat for depression. Opioids have been used in the past as antidepressants, but that stopped in developed countries, a long time ago.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:47 pm »
Well it happens. Week is not time period and heroin is a opioid derivative.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:38 am »
So, to throw a curve ball.

What is a good way of recovering from the following:
The small-medium company you worked for, for many years, got taken over by a large corporation, all of your companies products were being pulled from the shelves, you were basically being kept on (as well as 90% of the other staff) to please the bean counters and show a high number of "VIPs" that the company is "well staffed" but the work has dried up, to the point where you sit and watch videos all day and nobody cares because they are all doing the same.

Suddenly, after a year or so of this monotonous rubbish, you either get another job, or some work comes your way by some miracle, and you suddenly find you can't be arsed to do the work, because you have been used to not doing anything for so long, you have no motivation.

This may sound like a harsh case study, but some variants of the above does happen and I am interested to see how people would go about regaining their motivation.  :-+

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2018, 09:26:28 am »
some of my personal views on motivation:
- don't stop the child in you:
     *Be curious, interested, amazed at new things, other tech, whatever.
     *keep dreaming as long as you don't demand it becomes reality it can be very nice, and who knows
       some day it might become reality
     *Have and keep having fun, as long as it cause no harm to others ofcourse.
- perspective: keep the focus to yourself. Comparing to others, envy, jealousy are bad they lead to negative energy. Jealousy can be positive though, if you find someone you lookup to, like a mentor for instance and use this to develop your skills accordingly that is positive.

For the last point, you don't have to be the best in the world, or the best in anything at all. Chance is now 1:7000000000. Looking at the olympics, only three people from a certain sport get a medal, but the others they are still great athletes, the best from their country, does that mean their 15 year training and lifeadjustments were wasted? No they did what they like and felt good about, to an extreme I would not suggest but to make the point.

Nowadays for the new generations it becomes harder to be themselves. Short deviation, if a 18yr old male wanted a partner in the farmer village in the medieval times there were perhaps 5 potentially suitable candidates available. Nowadays the whole world is on the map. I read that underage children getting cosmetically surgery because they think they are ugly. Ugly? They were beautiful but they only saw 10s of other girls on facebook each day that they thought were prettier. What are those parents thinking? :palm:
That is why unless you like "competition" you should not compare to others, it will only frustrate you.

So in short: pursue your interests balanced with work/life , have fun, share with people your interests (club, fora etc.)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:31:03 am by Kjelt »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »
Well it happens. Week is not time period and heroin is a opioid derivative.
Please do some research into basic pharmacology before commenting. There's no such thing as an opioid derivative. Opioids are a class of drugs and heroin is one of them.

Offline theleakydiode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2018, 06:52:19 pm »
Update on my vitamin D3 experience: It seems to be working, I started taking it in the mornings instead of tea time and I do feel a bit better.  :)

Of-course the sun is slowly getting stronger so that could explain it too.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf