Author Topic: HELP! Any expert in Cochlear implant technology - Electronic Hearing Implants?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
I make the story short. A big friend of mine got the left ear messed up by a surgery. Now she is 100% deaf on the left side, unbelievable.  :wtf:

The doctors are moving on with a cochlear implant... something like this:

We are located in Germany, so I am confided she will get good stuff.... BUT... instead to blind trust the doctor (or google  :horse:), are there any expert out here to point us in the right direction/technology?
Any (insider) tips or suggestions will be really appreciated in this mess.

God Bless,

Z

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:10:51 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
What do you need to know about it? It is an Australian invention that goes back a long time. I think it was first used in the 1970's.

It is a mature technology by now.

The website is: http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/au/home

The CP920 is here:
http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/intl/home/support/cochlear-implant-systems/nucleus-6-system/warnings/cp910-and-cp920-sound-processor-warnings

There is a lot of information and some videos.

It is good technology. Cochlear have a range of products so I guess the doctors have chosen the 920 based on your friends particular issues. It could be there are alternative model choices available that might have advantages.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
I worked at a place that had the contract to test &/or repair Cochlear devices.
At that time, the processor was a separate unit from the "behind the ear" microphone, although it was already a very compact unit.

We had very few major problems, even in those early days.
Most of it was replacing the microphone ( from memory, you could open up the "behind the ear device" & do it at "component level", in much the same way as we repaired conventional hearing aids).

The external coil was replaced as a complete unit if it failed.

Obviously, we had nothing to do with the implanted bits, but they were extremely reliable.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf