Author Topic: Hey, I resemble that remark!  (Read 8933 times)

Offline mrflibbleTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hey, I resemble that remark!
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »
http://dilbert.com/2014-12-03/

And my flip phone doesn't even flip. But it does display phone-like behavior such as "calling" and "answering calls". It even has good battery life.

regards,
a big, dumb dinosaur with a terrible phone.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Hey, I resemble that remark!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »
Kind of nice to not be shackled to charging the phone every day. Miss my Nokia 8810 though, it would go for 2 weeks or more on a single charge. As well had the car kit, which had the built in 5W amplifier for the RF side, which meant you could make a call when other phones had nothing.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:54 pm »
I still have an old Motorola.

I've never really taken to mobile phones, even though I'm not that old., I hardly ever turn mine on!

I can see why smart phones are handy but I prefer my PC with its tactile keyboard and large HD screen.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »
I still use a Palm Treo made in 2006, has a physical keyboard, and lasts over a week on 1 charge.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 07:36:13 pm »
Certain friends have still old Siemens P1 GSM phones in use - with TNC antenna connector and patched firmware. The original gets signed off by the network after a while or such an issue.

you know:

https://www.google.de/search?q=siemens+p1&client=ubuntu&hs=aZH&channel=fs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=02V_VMmQNIexPNOngPgF&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1264&bih=1006

Very valuable on trips to regions with bad coverage. I must say they all are hams :)
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:01 pm »
I still use a Palm Treo made in 2006, has a physical keyboard, and lasts over a week on 1 charge.

I had one of those, a Treo 650.  I can't remember if it was when I had Sprint or I started with AT&T.  We just switched to the $45 a month StraightTalk from Walmart so we now have smart phones with internet access and it is cheaper than the basic plan we had.  Doesn't impress me any but we chose the plan on the Verizon network and our phones now work in our house which they didn't most of the time with At&T. |O  We had Blackberry phones at work until about a year, year and a half ago when we got iPhone 4S phones.  I miss the physical keyboard.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »
Almost two years ago I tossed my phone in the trash, been cellphoneless every since.

Life is good.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:53:47 pm »
I still use a Nokia 6610. I charge it on Wednesdays, whether it needs it or not.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:54:45 am »
Count me among the dinosaurs. I dislike the concept of mobile phones, and carrying something that's going to be a frequent distraction from life and the now, not to mention leaving a record of where you've been. Nor do I want to be 'in touch where ever I am'.

So I still use a Nokia 3315 I bought in 2003. It's a prepaid, usually with no credit. Rarely take it anywhere with me. Mostly it sits on a shelf, permanently on charge.

It's amusing watching the people who seem to have their eyes permanently welded to their little smartphone screens all the day. I'm curious to see how they'll cope if the GSM system ever goes down for a long time.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 02:06:43 am »
I still have my T39m with its batteries in a drawer. After that, a T610, until last year when it was replaced by a Nokia smart phone bought in China for a song - the bullet train reservation system there requries text messaging and the screen on the T610 was just too small to see>

The T39 was way ahead of its time: i can still use it to browse the web, for a phone from last l
millennium. Paid over $1k for it then.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 02:13:56 am »
I have a Nokia x2-01 has a good battery life and a sony xperia U, the touchscreen stoped working, can't afford to fix it so it's useless...

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 12:31:45 pm »
Smart phones in China are very interesting. I got my Nokia there in a small town and the place I went must have like 100 different smart phones, most of them in <$200 category. Some of them looked indistinguishable from the brand name phones, and with (almost) identical UI. Many of them sport dual sim cards and flat-out amazing screens.

If I were running Apple (or Samsung), I would be scared. Google is really killing the mobile hardware guys, slowly but surely.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 03:26:40 pm »
I have a Samsung B2100. Had it since 2008 and it still has the original battery that still lasts over a week. If I ever have to get another phone it will be the same model, dust and water proof and takes hard knocks.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »
For phones, the older blackberry or nokia gets my vote: they last a long time and are practically indestructible.

Offline theoldwizard1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 05:14:45 am »
As an early Christmas present, I bought my wife an iPhone 5s (she said the 6 was too large) about 2 weeks ago so she "could always have a camera to take pictures of the grandkids".  Still in the box, unactivated.

We both have flip phones from circa 2007.

Offline Mysion

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 07:02:31 am »
I'd have to agree with the comic. With the exception of battery life(There's always extended battery's!) I love my smart phone. Portable graphing calculator, camera , flashlight, ebay sniping, web-browser , gps, music, dictionary , and way-point mapping for my drone.  I can also convert units (DAM you imperial system!) and set alarms for impromptu naps.  Also track the weather and keep track of my calender.   

I love it!  :-+  But to each his own,  Use what works for you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:10:38 am by Mysion »

Offline owiecc

• Frequent Contributor
    • Google scholar profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 09:17:08 am »
I've got a Motorola F3. It is bent from carrying it in a pocket even before Apple made it popular. It is also slightly bendable. Battery lasts for a week. Phones in 2020 will have all these features.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 10:17:46 am »
Actually new (comparably) phone  battery can last a long time too.I have an HTC One X. Switched to eco mode and disabled wifi and BT and mobile data. And I don't talk too much. Battery lasts about 1 week vs 1 day with bells and whistles enabled.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:56 am »
Just wish these modern smart phones would be so smart i could turn off all except basic phone functionality, until i want to use those smart features...
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 02:59:02 pm »
I am reading and replying to this thread on my Nexus 5 phone using Tapatalk. In my car I listen to The Amp Hour podcast via BT link. Life is good.

Offline instanoodles

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
I've got myself a blackberry Q10 and I cant imagine getting a different phone. Love having a real keyboard for email and texting, with that and talking I dont use my phone for much else.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:01 pm »
I've got myself a blackberry Q10 and I cant imagine getting a different phone. Love having a real keyboard for email and texting, with that and talking I dont use my phone for much else.

With new smartphone you can just swipe the words (as i do now) instead of typing individual letters and you can also dictate your text. Things are getting better.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 12:56:21 am »
I've recently switched to a OnePlus One. Battery life seems to be excellent - about 15% a day with moderate use. The batter is huge of course, but I like large phones because I view web sites, email and SNS on them.

I occasionally make calls, but really messaging is much more convenient.
I have the same phone. With juice defender and automatic switch to airplane mode at night, it lats a whole week. Very nice.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 01:38:55 am »
Just wish these modern smart phones would be so smart i could turn off all except basic phone functionality, until i want to use those smart features...

Some can - I was looking through the various power-saving options on my new Xperia Z3 Compact and found something called 'Ultra-STAMINA mode' (as distinct from the normal STAMINA mode, which does things like disable background data transfer etc.).  Apparently in this ultra mode only the calling/SMS/phonebook/calendar/camera features are available, and all other apps are disabled - basically reducing it to an early/mid-2000s camera phone with a far better screen and camera - with a note observing that this might be quite useful if one were to find oneself suddenly without access to any chargers.  It predicted a three to four week battery life if enabled, and I've found its battery predictions to be generally quite accurate so far.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:06:31 pm by baljemmett »

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 01:48:40 am »
My Samsung Galaxy S5 has an "ultra power save" mode.
Turns off almost everything, leaving only phone, sms, camera, calendar, and grey scale screen.
At 100% charge it claims 14 days life - haven't tested that.
When I want Google Maps or some more powerful feature I simply drop out of that mode... One screen swipe and one screen tap.
When I am done, back to ultra power save mode.
Best of both worlds I reckon - Power when you want it and battery life when you need it.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf