Author Topic: How can I delete my account here?  (Read 23116 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: How can I delete my account here?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 02:40:27 am »
Here is the post Dave replied to. It was edited, so dunno if it is completely what Dave replied to. In my opinion that post is really stupid and does not resemble what video was about. I did not notice any rant in the video, or saying that particular chip is bad. You don't need to choose some relatively bad chip to show traps for young players. IMO Dave's reply was quite justified. If you get own medicine back, then have the guts to not be offended.
Bloguetrónica
1 day ago (edited)
Gee, how can I answer to that! The same answer I gave to Marcin Berman applies to you Dave. Never said it was not worth talking about. I'm simply saying that the ripple of this little chip, the LM2776, is not actually bad! Yes, it is not anything new that charge pumps are noisy: you only have to use them taking the proper measurements. All charge pumps are noisy! Read my comment, please!

In the end, and that is the main focus of my initial comment, there is no real reason to pick the LM2776 to rant about. The LMC7660 is probably worse because of the lower ripple frequency that is harder to filter out at its input (although most regulators will probably reject better frequencies on the lower ens, so the output ripple is not much of a problem). The Maxim part is just utter crap. Just 20mA, what for? A fantastic gargantuan ripple of 300mV at just 10mA of load? So, I don't understand the reason behind the LM2776 rant when you have here a much better example. I mean, the MAX1044 is a real trap for young players and seasoned engineers alike, if they decide to use it!

As for your so called "trap"? You've shown some valid points but you must take into consideration that 50mVpp and below for some loads is pretty good. You have some peaks, and the data sheet does not lie about it. You could bring this to attention without saying that the varying ripple can ruin the day, or something. That is an exaggeration, and that is essentially the focus of my comment. That rant I didn't appreciated. It just makes you look biased (I think many of your videos are somewhat biased, IMHO, just saying).

Anyone who can't appreciate that a regulator that has a drastic non-linear change in output ripple (400-500% change) based on a small change in output load and/or temperature can't potentially "ruin your day" needs to get some more engineering experience I think.
I thought that chip was a nice example of this, hence the prompt to do the video. Based on most of the other comments, a lot of people found it interesting and useful, and that's a win.

The following users thanked this post: Xenoamor

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 02:45:35 am »
Anyways, back to the main topic. I already published my comments on this subject on my Twitter

This is hilarious. Twitter. Are you a celebrity? This may be a surprise to you that a lot of people give no shit about Twitter.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, Ysjoelfir

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 02:52:39 am »
A lot of people on this forum and on the youtube idolize Dave

If he is not right or not correct do not be afraid to tell him, a lot of people is in favor of him even when he is not correct.

For example he likes to talk crap about bad designed products, well his meter falls on this category with a lot of  fails, but people say: I received the meter and I love it.

So for all people on this post, if the poster wants to leave, just help him to leave instead of deviating the main purpose of this post. Period.

David DLC

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 03:04:23 am »
To OP, if you think you're special, then NO, you are not.

Most long members like me here had seen and experienced "TONS" of people like you came, disgruntled and whining about pulling their account like they're hero that saved the world.

Just to let you know that this is likely to be ended that you will get booted because of the constant whining and stirring up in here unproductively.

Consider you're lucky and honored as Dave is in the good mood and still replying to this thread.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 03:43:14 am »
This is the message I got from the video:
How good or bad is the chip compared to others is completely irrelevant. The point is that if you look into things superficially, you may get unexpected results in certain circumstances. Be it even the best chip in the whole universe.

Never did I consider it an attack on the main chip mentioned and of course the significance of the "issues" being warned about are going to vary with the situation.  Getting all fired up and charging to the defence of this chip is just so over the top, it bewilders me - but it is not anything new on the internet.

FYI, the term "Bugger off" does not have an absolute, single meaning.  It has "shades" of intensity that range from the extreme you seem to have taken on, down to something like "are you kidding?".  One of the intermediate levels would read something like: "I don't agree with you are saying at all".

Dave obviously realised this could have been misinterpreted and corrected that - but there it was.  Somebody's pride had been hurt on the internet, so justification and retaliation come to the fore.

The end result is that the complainant has simply highlighted their embarrassment ... and is likely going to escalate matters in an attempt to save face.  In truth, the opposite is going to happen.

Bloguetrónica - if you ever found a point where you worked out that Dave was simply pointing out a detail (refer to my first citation, above) and not really attacking the chip in question, you would have avoided ALL of this angst by simply saying something that acknowledged the fact - even if you wanted to suffix such a statement with your own support.

Wanting to delete your account is somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction and making a display of such a request indicates you are driven by "saving face" rather than objectivity - which is unfortunate.  You have taken something that did not deserve to be a storm in a teacup and have turned it into a tornado in a test tube.

As you are someone who has made some useful contributions to the forum, I would hate to see you go - but if you cannot ease back from this stance, then it might be wise to do so.    I would encourage you to take a break from active participation for a period - perhaps several days or so - and see if you can re-engage.

If you could admit your reactions mentioned here were a bit intense, then that would go a long way for people to let the past stay in the past.  Many of us can get hard-nosed about a topic every now and then and temperatures rise, but when we acknowledge those moments and settle down, things go back to normal pretty quickly.

Dave isn't the perfect presenter - and I'm sure he would be one of the first to agree - but he does cover some extremely useful and interesting topics.  He also covers some that don't really interest me - but that's fine.  He's not there for my personal entertainment.

I do hope you find your way back to participation here.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 03:46:29 am »
A lot of people on this forum and on the youtube idolize Dave
If he is not right or not correct do not be afraid to tell him, a lot of people is in favor of him even when he is not correct.

People aren't afraid to tell me when I'm wrong, its comes with the territory of being a popular Youtuber. If I'm wrong about something you can bet that someone will tell me within moments of uploading a video. Indeed I use this fact as a "community proof checking" of sorts to see if I've screwed up so badly that I need to pull the video and edit it. I watch the comments for a few 10's of minutes after release and if it's bad I'll know about it practically instantly.

For example he likes to talk crap about bad designed products, well his meter falls on this category with a lot of  fails, but people say: I received the meter and I love it.

How is that an example of me being wrong?
How is my video in question wrong?

So for all people on this post, if the poster wants to leave, just help him to leave instead of deviating the main purpose of this post. Period.

The main purpose of this thread was for the OP to leave kicking and screaming because he's seemingly built up frustration about me and my content for quite some time. So be it, happens with monotonous regularity to every Youtuber. Carry on.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:48:37 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 04:12:29 am »
Wow, this reminds me of the little kids who smash their toys on the ground and run home from the playground. If you want to leave the forum, just leave the forum, no need to announce it to everyone. If you don't agree with something Dave said then refute it and offer your own data or opinions, he is not infallible nor has he claimed to be to my knowledge.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:49 am »
If you don't agree with something Dave said then refute it and offer your own data or opinions, he is not infallible nor has he claimed to be to my knowledge.

Indeed. I invite people to correct me or share differing opinions, but just be equally prepared to have my position explained back to you or a counter argument given.
I could of course just ignore and/or delete every comment I don't agree with, but I'm one of those Youtubers who takes the time to engage and hopefully clarify my position or reasoning etc.
I do sometimes wonder why I bother though, I'm not the world's smartest Youtuber obviously.

In this case I had no problem with his comment as such, I was just a tad bemused at his assertion that I was somehow "complaining" about the chip.
Pointing out a possible interesting trap in a chip and thinking that might make an interesting educational video is hardly complaining about it. I believe I even said it looked like a decent chip otherwise and might fill your need.

But then of course the real reason came out in his further posts. It had nothing to do with me being somehow wrong, it was just an outlet for some pent up anger or some such to be released.
When people go off onto generalisations and mentioning other videos as examples etc and speaking for "many people", it's obvious it's not really about the actual thing in question.

Any Youtuber who reaches a large enough audience will know what I'm talking about.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 05:01:32 am »
But then of course the real reason came out in his further posts. It had nothing to do with me being somehow wrong, it was just an outlet for some pent up anger or some such to be released.
When people go off onto generalisations and mentioning other videos as examples etc and speaking for "many people", it's obvious it's not really about the actual thing in question.

Any Youtuber who reaches a large enough audience will know what I'm talking about.

This is not limited to Youtube.  It's a phenomenon that has been around for years.

When I first got involved with retail electronics, a customer came in with a high energy complaint about a product they had recently purchased.  They engaged with the manager who told me in no uncertain words to stay out of it.  He then patiently listened to the customer "go off" and when they had run out of puff, he proceeded to ask questions and resolve the matter with the customer leaving in a very different mood.

Afterwards he explained that all too often, people have had some problems that have nothing to do with the product - but some small issue with it has given them an avenue to vent.  They then come into the store with a small problem and a lot of fire behind it.  Having more than one member of staff involved will make them feel "ganged up" upon and so I was excluded to maintain the one-to-one balance.  After the fire has mostly burned out, the customer has vented their frustrations and the manager can then start addressing the real issue.

This same phenomenon can also appear on the internet, though the ability to resolve it amicably is far more difficult.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 05:27:27 am »

This is not limited to Youtube.  It's a phenomenon that has been around for years.

When I first got involved with retail electronics, a customer came in with a high energy complaint about a product they had recently purchased.  They engaged with the manager who told me in no uncertain words to stay out of it.  He then patiently listened to the customer "go off" and when they had run out of puff, he proceeded to ask questions and resolve the matter with the customer leaving in a very different mood.

Afterwards he explained that all too often, people have had some problems that have nothing to do with the product - but some small issue with it has given them an avenue to vent.  They then come into the store with a small problem and a lot of fire behind it.  Having more than one member of staff involved will make them feel "ganged up" upon and so I was excluded to maintain the one-to-one balance.  After the fire has mostly burned out, the customer has vented their frustrations and the manager can then start addressing the real issue.

This same phenomenon can also appear on the internet, though the ability to resolve it amicably is far more difficult.

If only all the others stayed out of this one too. It too might have resolved itself amicably as well. I wasn't all that familiar with the OP's other posts on this forum but I went and looked and I have to say he seemed entirely moderate and decent.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 05:27:30 am »

The problem is the bell curve. The bigger you get, the more people you get under the bell curve of personality types, so the more outliers you get pop out on the extreme end.
The end result is the big Youtubers get death threats because they said something bad about an Apple product, or said he instead of they or some such.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 05:28:48 am »
If only all the others stayed out of this one too.

You must be new to community forums  ;D

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 07:28:32 am »
Best not to engage with trolls. They do not converse in good faith. Just toxic humans looking to spread their toxicity to good people.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 07:35:56 am »
There has been no suggestion that this member is a troll - and it is a bit unfair to bring this persona into the current discussion, IMO.

Trolls like "to play".  They won't even suggest leaving unless it is part of their game - and even then, they aren't likely to carry out such a threat.

This person has simply "gone off" on an aspect of the video they have misinterpreted - and, like many on the internet, will fight tooth and nail to save face - only to have the opposite outcome.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 07:39:08 am »

The problem is the bell curve. The bigger you get, the more people you get under the bell curve of personality types, so the more outliers you get pop out on the extreme end.

https://youtu.be/URAqnM1PP5E?t=104

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 07:40:58 am »
As an admin of a different forum using the same forum software I can tell you it is not wise to delete an account since many members regret later and want to come back after a few months even had a case last month that wanted to come back after 5 years, and then it just can not be undone by no admin no owner nobody.

Deleting posts is not done on a forum it destroys the consistency and makes it unreadable, you will punish those that are innocent to your grieve and might have some value from your already spent energy in the past.

Only thing you can request is a change to your forum name and write it down if you ever want to come back and as suggested earlier forget your password and delete the cookies on your browser.

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 02:59:44 pm »
There has been no suggestion that this member is a troll - and it is a bit unfair to bring this persona into the current discussion, IMO.

Trolls like "to play".  They won't even suggest leaving unless it is part of their game - and even then, they aren't likely to carry out such a threat.

This person has simply "gone off" on an aspect of the video they have misinterpreted - and, like many on the internet, will fight tooth and nail to save face - only to have the opposite outcome.

I think it's quite justified actually, and it is OK if you disagree. There is no rulebook for trolls to follow, however, except acting in bad faith. Which is what this member does when he chooses to quote edited posts from email and then comes whinging on the forums.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 03:56:35 pm »
Anyways, back to the main topic. I already published my comments on this subject on my Twitter

This is hilarious. Twitter. Are you a celebrity? This may be a surprise to you that a lot of people give no shit about Twitter.

Twitter?  What's Twitter?  I thought that is what birds and gaggles of prepubescent girls do.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 04:08:22 pm »
I thought that Twitter was a channel where the Trump is spreading his fake news?

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 04:45:48 pm »
Because we all love drama :=\ I think I’ve only criticised one video, but while we’re at it:

In this post, Brek hilights the fact that Dave introduces his videos, and the threads pertaining to them in the third person,
after making a brief comment relating to the thread that his post is made in. He then goes on to type this paragraph, and presses the post button.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2018, 05:40:39 pm »
The motto of the EEVBlog is "NO SCRIPT, NO FEAR, ALL OPINION", and i think in any case it´s better to take it for what it is - what a video blog can be. It is not a reference book on its own, the copy of a datasheet or academic education that can be made responsible for any decisions taken by the viewer. Being a videoblog also limits the reach of allegations for being obvious, incorrect or opinionated.

However, the video demonstratably pointed out to check the quality of the output signal depending on parameters like temperature and load and i very much appreciated it, as it gave me a refresh of knowledge that simply gets lost as i am not working that deep in the field of electronics anymore, and currently only do it as a hobby. It also makes a point that temperature testing of devices may be crucial to not screw up badly - as this exceeds checking for allowable temperature ranges of components and calculation of simple temperature drift. With a little bit of afterthought it also allows to understand certain types of errors better and what to watch out for when analyzing problems with complete devices.

That´s how i see such a video and this means it is up to the viewer to generalize and abstract the presented information, if there is none it might really be better to not watch them instead of discussing how useless this information was for oneself. For me the videos outdo the "all opinion" motto, as they usually contain a very good, sufficient explanation.

There are way too many people that try to divide the world and all aspects of it into "good" or "bad", that then loose focus on the details that actually matter. For anyone not that deep into a subject a white-/blacklisting approach of parts or brands is simple but unnecessary and might be counterproductive once a fundamental problem (like temperature and load stability of typical charge pumps) is discussed.

I´d hate if someone just gave me the information to not use this or that part without any explanation, or only based on a hasty opinion. That is worse than no information at all.
Support your local planet.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2018, 05:50:16 pm »
Without going back and reading the whole thing, can someone summarize what exactly happened? Did Dave criticize some IC that this guy designed?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 06:02:21 pm »
Perhaps those that are upset with the content in Dave's YouTube videos should just ask for their money back?

;)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 06:02:38 pm »
Without going back and reading the whole thing, can someone summarize what exactly happened? Did Dave criticize some IC that this guy designed?
Are you serious? The topic is only two pages.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2018, 06:04:48 pm »
Two pages with some "wall of text" replies and mention of some other threads and a video I have not seen, I figured someone could easily sum it up in a couple of sentences but it isn't that important to me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf