Author Topic: How can I delete my account here?  (Read 22876 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: How can I delete my account here?
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 06:06:14 pm »
Read post #24 and you have the core.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »
Wow so it's not even a part he designed or sells or anything, just something he has used that Dave said something negative about?  :wtf:

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:38 pm »
Best not to engage with trolls. They do not converse in good faith. Just toxic humans looking to spread their toxicity to good people.
This guy had some critical comments that in all likelyhood he felt strongly about. That is not trolling. He made them and now after being told to bugger off he seems to have. 

Edit: @James_s this is my summary in a few sentences.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:27:11 pm by wilfred »

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:40 am »
Hi,

Well, lets say if I wanted to do bad publicity, I would post the whole comments here. in fact, Dave made all the bad publicity for himself, IMHO. I only tried to be reasonable, although I admit that I just got fed up by all that sensationalism. I mean, I think it is not hard to get an LM2776 and make the actual measurements. It is not a bad chip, and won't ruin your day by any means.

In fact, I used it on the very worst conditions, got it to produce an enormous ripple of 200mVpp and used it to supply an LDO that was set to -4.5V (yup, less than 500mV of margin!). Didn't ruined my day, although admittedly that was far from ideal and my design was constrained by the limitations of USB so I had to do this. The proper LDO and a filters saved my day.

The bottom of my point is that many engineers and hobbyists know that any charge pump will produce noise. In fact, you would get the same result if you took a capacitor and inverted it frequently on top of your supply. To the people who don't know, there is no need to bash the damn chip when there are other chips that are much worse. Yes, ripple varies with temperature and load, but that is not a big deal if you over engineer your design in order to accommodate mishaps. A sound design always has enough margin, plus some more, for what can go wrong.

Anyways, back to the main topic. I already published my comments on this subject on my Twitter, even to the point of showing the whole thread. Dave did a poor job for himself, IMHO, and did all by himself. I don't need to help him to fulfill the job of the victim. Anyway, there are lots of people already defending him, even if he likes to bash Owon scopes and what not, for any unreasonable and totally biased motive (for the lack of better words, because if it doesn't cost at least $300, it must be crap, right? [sarcasm]). If I had a channel, I would treat my subscribers with dignity. If you wish to see the whole thread, it is on YouTube. It is self-explanatory, sufficiently bad for Dave, and I have nothing to add.

I wanted to go silently, but I don't see any option for deleting my account. I did unsubbed on YouTube and Twitter without emmiting any sort of explanation, though. Anyways, there are many other forums I can join and I'm just a user who has 70 posts. Not a big loss. Not playing the victim part here, and my attachment was just in provocation to the mods. I don't care if I get banned, although I wish to stay respectful and truthful.

Well, there is a simple way to end this. Change my PW to unknown. A form of encryption, if you wish. Then I won't have the temptation to post further.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

So you got all upset and had to make all these posts because someone on the internet has a different opinion about a charge pump in a particular chip? What happens if you have an issue with someone in real life; like they tell you they don't like your favorite color? Do you ears start shooting out steam before your head explodes?

I didn't even think it was possible to have any sort of passion over charge pumps. How do you feel about bare silicon dies? That must make you want to go out and buy a gun with a bump stock.

You know what really grinds my gears? Germanium.  :rant: Sure its PN junction has  0.5V less drop but you how easy it is to fry one? Or how about that stupid redline they paint on the glass diodes instead of a black one? Why red it's not as easy to see and doesn't match anything are they trying to say it has a value of just three? Three what? There is no multiplier on the package. Fucking germanium diodes. People that use them are scum.  |O I once saw a video where a guy had a bad germanium transistor. in an amp and instead of putting in silicon, rebasing and deleting the thermistor he orders a 70$ pair from NTE! WTF? NTE is junk.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, Ysjoelfir

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 02:26:36 am »
I once saw a video where a guy had a bad germanium transistor. in an amp and instead of putting in silicon, rebasing and deleting the thermistor he orders a 70$ pair from NTE! WTF? NTE is junk.

Easier said than done, especially if it's a piece of vintage gear that you want to keep original. There may be amplifiers where you can swap GE to Si that easily but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not exactly a fan of NTE, but if they have the part you need sometimes it's a viable option.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:14 am »
Perhaps those that are upset with the content in Dave's YouTube videos should just ask for their money back?

Actually, some people who contact me (people often like to tell creators they are leaving because *insert reason*) use the "I've financially supported you for years by watching your videos without adblock", "I've bought your products or merch", or "have supported you from day one and help make you what you are" etc, and so seem to feel entitled that I owe it to them to address one persons personal grievance.
Sure, I'll jump the whim of one out of 550,000 subscribers  ::)

Of course, being me, when I take the time to hear their concern and try to address it (they ironically don't realise that just taking the time to personally hear out and respond to one of 550,000 subscribers is kinda a big olive branch in it's own right), it's always the same reason when you start probing them, just as in this case. It's never the actually about the thing they are complaining about, it's a broader resentment that has festered up over time.

Offline tyguy2

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:40 am »
I think that the fact that OP has stopped replying and hasn't been active since his last post means he has taken this thread's advice and just washed his hands of this. This discussion seems to have moved more towards circle jerking about how wrong OP is, why he is, etc, etc. It seems like he's moved on, maybe the forum should too?  :-//

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:45:46 am by tyguy2 »
[Sarcastic comment] clever joke [/sarcastic comment]
Bitcoin:
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2018, 02:49:31 am »
Two pages with some "wall of text" replies and mention of some other threads and a video I have not seen, I figured someone could easily sum it up in a couple of sentences but it isn't that important to me.

- I make a video about a chip and a demonstrable potential "trap" inside that chip. i.e. design advice
- OP thinks that's being too harsh on the chip, he's used it before and it's fine. Completely missing the point of the video.
- When I point out the point of the video the OP goes off about how I exaggerate tragedies, that I'm biased, and then goes on to mention other videos he didn't like etc and tries to speak for others viewers who also hate my approach.
- I tell the OP to bugger off.
- OP spits the dummy, starts thread to say he's leaving and posts all the "evidence" he's right  ::)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2018, 02:53:19 am »
I think that the fact that OP has stopped replying and hasn't been active since his last post means he has taken this thread's advice and just washed his hands of this.

I guarantee you he's still reading. I know how people like this work.

Offline tyguy2

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 02:55:15 am »
I'm still a bit of a forum noob since I'm not here often, but doesn't the activity log show when they last used the forum?
Bitcoin:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2018, 02:56:14 am »
I'm still a bit of a forum noob since I'm not here often, but doesn't the activity log show when they last used the forum?

Yes, but you don't need to be logged in to view this forum.

Offline tyguy2

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:00 am »
:-// In the end though, does it really matter if he's reading or not if he isn't logged in or responding? It's the equivalent of yelling "I know you're there" into an empty room
Bitcoin:

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2018, 03:07:22 am »
I think that the fact that OP has stopped replying and hasn't been active since his last post means he has taken this thread's advice and just washed his hands of this. This discussion seems to have moved more towards circle jerking about how wrong OP is, why he is, etc, etc. It seems like he's moved on, maybe the forum should too?  :-//

Edit: spelling

Yep. The thread's title is a pretty good clue that he didn't wait around for the mob to gather with pitchforks. Looking at his posts he wasn't a very active poster but he was always considerate and helpful as far as I can tell. Even if you didn't agree with him. That he has attracted such a farewell is a shame.

The following users thanked this post: gabinetex, PlainName

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2018, 03:09:41 am »
The guy is busy posting on his Twitter who nobody reads.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2018, 03:28:33 am »
Two pages with some "wall of text" replies and mention of some other threads and a video I have not seen, I figured someone could easily sum it up in a couple of sentences but it isn't that important to me.

- I make a video about a chip and a demonstrable potential "trap" inside that chip. i.e. design advice
- OP thinks that's being too harsh on the chip, he's used it before and it's fine. Completely missing the point of the video.
- When I point out the point of the video the OP goes off about how I exaggerate tragedies, that I'm biased, and then goes on to mention other videos he didn't like etc and tries to speak for others viewers who also hate my approach.
- I tell the OP to bugger off.
- OP spits the dummy, starts thread to say he's leaving and posts all the "evidence" he's right  ::)

Sounds like classic Asperger's to  me. I met a lot of people like that in the higher level courses in college. They all have greasy hair too!

But seriously as an experienced  EE you should know the issues with charge pumps at this point in your career. Thumbs down dislike  unsubscribed donate a shit load of money on patreon then stopped, made a "sucks" hash tag and a subredddit.  :--
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:47 am »
Well, in my case, I watched the video when it was posted and seriously sh&t my pants !!! I've used all these chips for years and NEVER realized that they had
that nasty step change !! or the non-linear noise curve. I had to go back through all my active past designs to check !! Fortunately, the currents never strayed
past app 1-2mA so all was good. Scariest was my 44S7P lithium EV packs. I have found several ICs over the years to have idiosyncrasies, but this is unbelievable.
The video was valuable to this old horse ... now ... who do I Invoice for the messed pants !!???
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2018, 03:48:43 am »
You know what really grinds my gears? Germanium.  :rant: Sure its PN junction has  0.5V less drop but you how easy it is to fry one? Or how about that stupid redline they paint on the glass diodes instead of a black one? Why red it's not as easy to see and doesn't match anything are they trying to say it has a value of just three? Three what? There is no multiplier on the package. Fucking germanium diodes. People that use them are scum.  |O I once saw a video where a guy had a bad germanium transistor. in an amp and instead of putting in silicon, rebasing and deleting the thermistor he orders a 70$ pair from NTE! WTF? NTE is junk.

Germanium! Don't complain about germanium, till you've tried copper oxide. Man those things suck bigtime.  I don't know why anyone would use copper oxide rectifiers, they are utter crap. I mean look at this box full of copper oxide diodes I just found. You put 20V across one of these stupid things, you're lucky to get 300mA forward current. Can you imagine that? What kind of lunatics would ever use these heavy, chunky bits of junk?

PS red = 2 not 3. Orange = 3.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:14 am »
:-// In the end though, does it really matter if he's reading or not if he isn't logged in or responding? It's the equivalent of yelling "I know you're there" into an empty room

Nope, doesn't matter at all, just pointing it out because someone mentioned it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2018, 04:21:26 am »
Well, in my case, I watched the video when it was posted and seriously sh&t my pants !!! I've used all these chips for years and NEVER realized that they had
that nasty step change !! or the non-linear noise curve. I had to go back through all my active past designs to check !! Fortunately, the currents never strayed
past app 1-2mA so all was good. Scariest was my 44S7P lithium EV packs. I have found several ICs over the years to have idiosyncrasies, but this is unbelievable.

:phew:

And right there is classic example of the potential value of a video like this. And judging by other comments a lot of people learned something and found it valuable.
Yet the OP's argument is basically I shouldn't have bothered :palm:

The video was valuable to this old horse ... now ... who do I Invoice for the messed pants !!???

All care, no responsibility.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:24:56 am by EEVblog »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2018, 04:51:18 am »
And right there is classic example of the potential value of a video like this. And judging by other comments a lot of people learned something and found it valuable.

I've never done any design work with charge pump devices - but there is a project which has been presented to me that might need something in this vein.  Even if this project doesn't pan out, this video has educated me to the fact that you should check the spec sheets thoroughly if you plan on using a device.  What may work perfectly in the key operational phase of a circuit could cause havoc in (what is expected to be) an innocuous idle state.

In short, the results of a chip manufacturer's decision to implement something as a "feature" could end up being someone's "bug" - and it would be best to discover this in the chip selection stage, not during the integration testing.

I got the point of the video and I thank Dave for doing it.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2018, 07:34:44 am »
It's never the actually about the thing they are complaining about, it's a broader resentment that has festered up over time.

:-+

So true!
There is an old saying: "Its never the dirty laundry"
If people show up here like this, they also show up in real life like this.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:52 am »
I am not so sure about that, a screen and a keyboard are very efficient in isolating a conversation from gestures, facial expressions and tone of voice, as the bandwith of text is quite limited.
Support your local planet.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2018, 11:04:24 am »
I am not so sure about that, a screen and a keyboard are very efficient in isolating a conversation from gestures, facial expressions and tone of voice, as the bandwith of text is quite limited.

Indeed.
In fact I ran into a forum member a few weeks back, one that, let's just say, we've never seen eye to eye on things to say the least. And both of us felt it was great to meet each other, had absolutely no animosity, and we hung out for a while and had some tech fun and got along really well.
Real life trumps forum.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2018, 11:19:49 am »

Indeed.
In fact I ran into a forum member a few weeks back, one that, let's just say, we've never seen eye to eye on things to say the least. And both of us felt it was great to meet each other, had absolutely no animosity, and we hung out for a while and had some tech fun and got along really well.
Real life trumps forum.

Explicit, honest disagreements that generate more light than heat are great fun and can be very valuable.

When someone coherantly disagrees with me, then that's an opportunity for me to learn something. Usually it is only that we place more/less emphasis on the various parameters (boring), but occasionally I learn something really valuable. And that's great fun!

If I had to choose between the forum exclusive-or real life, I'd choose the forum. Why? Because:
  • I'm deaf (!)
  • I can speedread much much faster than I can listen, which allows me to skip past rubbish and skip to valuable stuff (that's a big problem with videos)
  • the forum preserves a wide range of information on topics that I might only need sometime in the future
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2018, 12:53:01 pm »
If I had to choose between the forum exclusive-or real life, I'd choose the forum.

https://youtu.be/OQiZmji1FW8?t=3m30s

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf