Author Topic: How can I delete my account here?  (Read 23125 times)

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
Re: How can I delete my account here?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2018, 01:14:00 pm »

and surprisingly, the going rate fro Atari Adventure remained the same :D

If I had to choose between the forum exclusive-or real life, I'd choose the forum.

https://youtu.be/OQiZmji1FW8?t=3m30s

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »
If I had to choose between the forum exclusive-or real life, I'd choose the forum.

https://youtu.be/OQiZmji1FW8?t=3m30s

Thank you for saving 3:30 of my remaining life by skipping to the relevant bit :)

Unfortunately the last bit was only 50% visible; the remainder was a sodding advert for something I've already forgotten :(

Remind me again why yootoob videos are a good idea :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2018, 05:51:47 pm »
You know what really grinds my gears? Germanium.  :rant: Sure its PN junction has  0.5V less drop but you how easy it is to fry one? Or how about that stupid redline they paint on the glass diodes instead of a black one? Why red it's not as easy to see and doesn't match anything are they trying to say it has a value of just three? Three what? There is no multiplier on the package. Fucking germanium diodes. People that use them are scum.  |O I once saw a video where a guy had a bad germanium transistor. in an amp and instead of putting in silicon, rebasing and deleting the thermistor he orders a 70$ pair from NTE! WTF? NTE is junk.

Germanium! Don't complain about germanium, till you've tried copper oxide. Man those things suck bigtime.  I don't know why anyone would use copper oxide rectifiers, they are utter crap. I mean look at this box full of copper oxide diodes I just found. You put 20V across one of these stupid things, you're lucky to get 300mA forward current. Can you imagine that? What kind of lunatics would ever use these heavy, chunky bits of junk?

PS red = 2 not 3. Orange = 3.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2018, 05:56:44 pm »
You know what really grinds my gears? Germanium.  :rant: Sure its PN junction has  0.5V less drop but you how easy it is to fry one? Or how about that stupid redline they paint on the glass diodes instead of a black one? Why red it's not as easy to see and doesn't match anything are they trying to say it has a value of just three? Three what? There is no multiplier on the package. Fucking germanium diodes. People that use them are scum.  |O I once saw a video where a guy had a bad germanium transistor. in an amp and instead of putting in silicon, rebasing and deleting the thermistor he orders a 70$ pair from NTE! WTF? NTE is junk.

Germanium! Don't complain about germanium, till you've tried copper oxide. Man those things suck bigtime.  I don't know why anyone would use copper oxide rectifiers, they are utter crap. I mean look at this box full of copper oxide diodes I just found. You put 20V across one of these stupid things, you're lucky to get 300mA forward current. Can you imagine that? What kind of lunatics would ever use these heavy, chunky bits of junk?

PS red = 2 not 3. Orange = 3.

Just to one up you copper oxide is nothing compared to gas diodes! There is a video some where where "glassSlinger" on youtube makes one by hand. That is truely tallent. Can you imagine in the early days drawing out a circuit and everytie you add the diode symbolyou think of the hours requird to had make all the parts! Oops got the wires backwards and let the smke out? That will be 5 hours of tedious lass blowing and vacuum pumping. I didn't know there was copper oxide. Will have to wikipedia that. Where did you get those? Do they have any use or ae they like selenium recitifiers where you simply replace them and be glad they are gone.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2018, 12:52:51 am »
Just to one up you copper oxide is nothing compared to gas diodes! There is a video some where where "glassSlinger" on youtube makes one by hand. That is truely tallent. Can you imagine in the early days drawing out a circuit and everytie you add the diode symbolyou think of the hours requird to had make all the parts! Oops got the wires backwards and let the smke out? That will be 5 hours of tedious lass blowing and vacuum pumping. I didn't know there was copper oxide. Will have to wikipedia that. Where did you get those? Do they have any use or ae they like selenium recitifiers where you simply replace them and be glad they are gone.

You know you can edit posts, post titles, and also delete accidental double posts? It often seems like you don't know this.

Yeah, time cost of parts. Any time I try to imagine what it would be like trying to rebuild a crashed tech-society, the idea of having to hand make any electronic parts needed, makes me shudder. Resistors and capacitors, oh god.

One point of order. With vacuum tubes, does the magic smoke escape? Or get let in?

Copper oxide rectifiers are definitely 'replace on sight' rubbish. Bearing in mind that the circuit might require you include a series resistor to reproduce their horrible characteristics.
I found that box among junk at the ACMS dispersal.
One of them was rusty and shorted. I disassembled. Interesting construction, I should post it.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2018, 01:26:02 am »
@Beamin - If you are going to have a Germanium rant at least make the effort to start a new topic and also make the effort to put things into a historical perspective. We all need to have a rant about something at some time by why pick on Germanium ?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2018, 11:37:36 pm »
Well it seems he's back, he just couldn't help himself from continuing to watch and comment after saying he's unsubed and not watching again ;D
Another rant on my KiCAD video comments ::)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2018, 11:46:19 pm »
Well it seems he's back, he just couldn't help himself from continuing to watch and comment after saying he's unsubed and not watching again ;D
Another rant on my KiCAD video comments ::)
If people don't criticise you, you're not doing anything relevant.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
Maybe he was having a bad day and realized it was silly to storm off and leave. You never really know what someone else is going through elsewhere in life. I know that if something is really dragging me down it's easy to be cranky elsewhere and not even realize it at the time.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Mukrakiish

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2018, 01:43:57 am »
I offered an olive branch for exactly that reason - and it has been ignored.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2018, 03:45:09 am »
You know you've made it when even your haters watch your videos to the end, evidenced when they comment on a point well into the video. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2018, 04:07:24 am »
You know you've made it when even your haters watch your videos to the end, evidenced when they comment on a point well into the video. :D

That was duly noted  ;D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2018, 04:10:14 am »
Maybe he was having a bad day and realized it was silly to storm off and leave. You never really know what someone else is going through elsewhere in life. I know that if something is really dragging me down it's easy to be cranky elsewhere and not even realize it at the time.

His account isn't banned here.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2018, 06:06:22 am »
Would a "hater" need to watch all they way to the end? I'm not at all sure of it. In general terms what is the difference between a hater and a critic anyway. I'd like to think you've at least thought about it.

Maybe one difference is that a critic actually watches all the way to the end. I can't think of a better distinction.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:14 am »
Maybe one difference is that a critic actually watches all the way to the end. I can't think of a better distinction.

While not an unreasonable thought - it could also be the sign of a hater who will watch every second to ensure they have every iota of ammunition possible.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »

While not an unreasonable thought - it could also be the sign of a hater who will watch every second to ensure they have every iota of ammunition possible.
I think most people are critics to some extent and those who aren't are zealots. Most videos I watch have elements I dislike and things I like. For example one criticism I have many of Dave's videos is he sometimes waffles too much but I like the way he doesn't worry too much about offending people and presents information in an easy to understand manner.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2018, 01:34:26 pm »
If Dave wanted you gone, you wouldn't be here whining about it, and I've never known him to ban someone from here for any reason besides being an actual disturbance to the forums, not just for saying a few mean things to him.

While I don't doubt that, it seems I cannot verify it, because the posts that result in bans get deleted at the same time as the ban is given.

(I see a post in an old thread from a now-banned user. I click to their profile. I click to see their posts. I see nothing bad there. Therefore, I must conclude that either A: they were banned for nothing, B: they were banned for a post that was not one of their most recent posts, or C: the the ban-worthy post was deleted. B is unlikely to be the case for all banned users, and A isn't something I'd expect from the team here, leaving me with C. But the ban-worthy post isn't there to prove it isn't A.)
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2018, 01:47:06 pm »
If Dave wanted you gone, you wouldn't be here whining about it, and I've never known him to ban someone from here for any reason besides being an actual disturbance to the forums, not just for saying a few mean things to him.

While I don't doubt that, it seems I cannot verify it, because the posts that result in bans get deleted at the same time as the ban is given.

(I see a post in an old thread from a now-banned user. I click to their profile. I click to see their posts. I see nothing bad there. Therefore, I must conclude that either A: they were banned for nothing, B: they were banned for a post that was not one of their most recent posts, or C: the the ban-worthy post was deleted. B is unlikely to be the case for all banned users, and A isn't something I'd expect from the team here, leaving me with C. But the ban-worthy post isn't there to prove it isn't A.)
C and only C is ever enacted, that I've ever seen.
Warnings are given and personal contact is made, I know 'cause I've had one.

If you want to play in Dave's sandpit you play by his rules.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2018, 02:05:13 pm »

I just don't want to see the OP carelessly branded a hater or a troll. Neither of which I think is true.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2018, 11:26:40 pm »

I just don't want to see the OP carelessly branded a hater or a troll. Neither of which I think is true.
He's simply nutjob.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2018, 12:57:17 am »
He's simply nutjob.

If you type "what is a personal attack" into a popular search engine a couple of the the results you receive are:
"personal-attack. Noun. (plural personal attacks) Making of an abusive remark on or relating to one's person instead of providing evidence when examining another person's claims or comments."

"Personal attack may include challenges that question their intelligence, values, integrity, motivations, decisions and so on. "

Is he a "nutjob"? I'm not here to say one way or another. I see personal attacks of various kinds here much more than I would think is healthy for a forum that sometimes wants to aspire to dispassionate facts based debate.

If you read the forum rules you find this as the top two rules.

"I hate rules, but unfortunately we have to have some for this forum:
1) Play nice with the other nerds
2) No personal attacks. This is the biggest rule on this forum. If you don't follow it, you are not welcome here."

I don't say the rules are in any particular order because I'd have swapped these two.

One thing about an angry mob gathering ostensibly to defend Dave is that it takes control away from Dave to calmly reflect on whether the critic had a worthwhile point to make. In this particular case I don't think there was a valid point about the video that triggered the comments originally. But that has now become irrelevant.

There was clearly an undercurrent of dissatisfaction about something else and it precipitated a corresponding overreaction which hasn't been helpful to anyone. Except perhaps the actual haters who benefit from watching the fireworks from the sidelines. And some of them could even be actively participating in these sort of debates camouflaged as fans and friends.

An enemy who attacks from the front cannot stab you in the back.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2018, 02:13:26 am »
Labels such as "nutjob" are, I find, an understandable, but not necessarily accurate, categorisation of an individual.

Social media in all its forms provide a degree of anonymity which emboldens many to declare an opinion of a type, content and/or manner that they would never do face to face.

It has been my observation that more than a few of these people often do so because they do not have the self esteem necessary for direct confrontation.  It is not unusual for these people to "double down" when confronted with an error in their logic or to have a misunderstanding pointed out, rather than simply apologise, amend their argument and move on - because the act of concession on any point would be felt as a failure of their "righteousness" as it were.  They plough on regardless - not so much as in the hope of convincing others, but more to safeguard their perception of themselves.

Having said that, I should make it clear that I am not saying this characteristic is limited to social media environments.  Not at all.  There are many examples where you will find people openly espousing and challenging a variety of subjects in the face to face world who will conduct themselves similarly.  Social media just makes it easier for the more timid.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2018, 04:04:57 pm »
Labels such as "nutjob" are, I find, an understandable, but not necessarily accurate, categorisation of an individual.
If someone gets angry from mild criticism of his beloved component (has several circuits with it on his blog), there should be a few screws loose. And further reaction only confirms this assumption.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2018, 07:54:06 pm »
It could even be indicative of a mental health problem. He could have been bullied in the past and developed a persecution complex, along with some element of social anxiety and paranoia. It typically results in very defensive behaviour where any criticism or light hearted joke is perceived as a highly personal attack. I can identify with this because it was me in the past, when I was depressed. Fortunately I got help, eventually and worked through it. Occasionally I find myself relapsing into such behaviours, mostly when I'm in a stressful situation, when I feel anxious and vulnerable, but I now normally realise at some point and stop or at least lessen them.

The solution is not to provoke the person. Explain, the errors in their reasoning, you're not attacking them personally, then move on if they cannot accept it.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2018, 10:18:44 pm »
Well, how about this. Try going back to the original sequence of posts the OP here made on Youtube.
See if you too don't come away shaking your head completely mystified how we got from there to here. It's just bizarre.

For those that just aren't that interested here is the OP comments about the chip.

"The LM2776 is not a bad chip for a charge pump, as it shows a ripple of around 100mVpp. I've used it, and was not a nuisance, since I've applied a Pi filter at its input, and the output was being used to feed a voltage regulator, anyway. On the other hand, the Maxim chip is crap (as most Maxim parts are). I'm yet to find a charge pump as good as this one, truth to be told."

Yes, I do agree that he seemed to miss the point of the video. But as for how this escalated from his original comments to the present situation, well it's all there for you to read and draw your own conclusions.

But there is no way I will think he is a nutjob, is displaying defensive behaviour or is an obvious fanboy for any particular chip.

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc, PlainName, 3db, jeffheath

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf