Author Topic: How do organize your Aliexpress orders?  (Read 5020 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
How do organize your Aliexpress orders?
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:59 pm »
Hi

I am having a lot of problems trying to track my Aliexpress orders.  The only way I have figured out is to stop using Aliexpress.

But I figured I am doing something wrong.  I hope someone has come up with a method to track orders.  I cannot find anything on the package that helps.  The biggest problem I have is duplicate (ie many) orders of the same item or type of item.

Of course I use "My AliExpress - Orders".  I want to delete orders that I really get.  But I have gotten so confused I have started to delete all orders starting with the lowest cost items and stop ordering and use eBay and Amazon.  I got up to 12 pages or orders (too much wine at night  :-DD)

Reading their excessive emails is hard but it this is a way then maybe I need to start reading them?

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: How do organize your Aliexpress orders?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:25 pm »
I am having a lot of problems trying to track my Aliexpress orders.  The only way I have figured out is to stop using Aliexpress.

Now hold on, that's a bit overly drastic isn't it?

But I figured I am doing something wrong.  I hope someone has come up with a method to track orders.  I cannot find anything on the package that helps.  The biggest problem I have is duplicate (ie many) orders of the same item or type of item.

Ah, sounds like you have much higher volume of orders than I do. So, even the item values are often identical for your orders?

Anyway, here's my very simple and effective system. Needs nothing but a clean plain text editor.
I have one folder in my 'lists' tree, called "purchases_online". Every time I order something, while I still have the order page onscreen, I ctl-c copy the entire block of purchase information. Open a new .TXT file in the editor, past in the details. Save that file in my purchases online folder, with a filename in the form yyyymmdd_description_of_item.txt
The sensible date format means all the files sort sequentially, always, never mind what stupid f*ckery Windows does with file-creation attributes. (The one exception is when you badly mistyped the year, and the file gets 'lost' in the list. Then just switch to sort by creation date, and the lost file is near most recent end. Fix the date in the filename, resort by name.)

That file becomes a diary of any further events related to buying that item. Each new event gets a ruler "-------------"
then the date, again in yyyymmdd format (don't be lazy!) then a description of what happened. Usually just 'arrived today'.
If there's any dispute process, record it in this file too.
If the thing is something significant enough to have it's own folder in my 'equipment' folder tree, stuff like photos and tech info will go there. The purchase sequence can stay in just text file in 'lists'.

I'm often amazed how computer literate people sometimes fail to leverage the power of the most simple things, like plain text files.

Of course I use "My AliExpress - Orders".  I want to delete orders that I really get.  But I have gotten so confused I have started to delete all orders starting with the lowest cost items and stop ordering and use eBay and Amazon.  I got up to 12 pages or orders (too much wine at night  :-DD)

Reading their excessive emails is hard but it this is a way then maybe I need to start reading them?\

Ha. Well, I guess my not drinking alcohol might also be part of why I don't have this problem. No wait, it's probably just being poor.
As for the aliexpress emails... what, you read them? Mine just go into a mailbox I very rarely read. Unless I actually asked someone a question.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Online splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:47:25 pm »
Problem I had was ordering 4 radio modules - I bought 2 off of the same item from 2 different vendors as the postage increased substantially if ordering 3 or more from one supplier.

Only received one lot but it was impossile to work out who sent it as the sender's name on the packaging didn't match either sellor  on Aliexpress's site. Lesson learnt - stagger such orders sufficiently or make each order unique.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:04:05 am »
All my packages from Aliexpress have either the order code or the "tracking" code (which isn't usually a tracking code, but anyway), or both, printed on them and this can be matched to the order details when it's not clear which order it was.

Even for not tracked packages there is some serial number which the seller typically puts int he tracking number field, and this is printed somewhere on the package.

On the your orders page you can click the "More Filters" drop down and search by tracking number.

Here's a couple of examples from yesterday's packages.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:15 am »
Also, I don't delete orders, but I do have a tampermonkey script which fades-out completed orders, and highlights orders that are getting near to timing out.

This also helps because the "Awaiting Delivery" tab is not necessarily reliable.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mLBM4

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:00 am »
Receiving a number of orders of the same thing from different sellers (in a vain attempt at avoiding the hit and miss of the quality of items) is where I have trouble whether it is from EBay or AliExpress. Careful examination of packaging helps.

I also keep a spreadsheet of stuff I order, with order dates and delivery dates, days since order, etc....

Description, Qty, $Total, $Post,Date Ordered, Where,  Date Arrived, Country From, Days to arrive, Days since order, Item number, Order number, Seller

Easy then to see which stuff is running late or to make a claim etc. The sum of costs at the bottom of the sheet is sometimes scary and definitely not suitable for viewing of the better half.  :D
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:19:09 pm »
I have the same "problem".

As packages arrive between 5 and 25 days, I order the same item at different stores.
Ordering 1x5 items at once is often more expensive than 5x1 items, so why not spread.

At cheap orders, the package is often full of numbers, none of them corresponds to article number, order number and the sender doesn't correspond to store name etc.
+15eur orders always contain decent references.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:54:35 pm »
I don't bother.

Then I get some nice surprises when they turn up.

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 03:00:55 pm »
If I'm ordering small numbers of samples to compare, where possible I order different quantites of anything that looks similar enough to be confused.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:43:23 pm »
I don't bother.

Then I get some nice surprises when they turn up.

This is what I am ending up doing  :-DD   Like Christmas every morning.

For me there are no order numbers.  I have tried the tracking number and got 3 hits out of 20.  I think this is due to the fact that my Orders is a mess.  I will continue for awhile but it is hard typing in a 13 digit number every time.

One "control" I now do is if the order is over $10 I put it in my Cart and look at it 24 hours later and then order it if I still want it (this has saved me $$$)

Maybe someday I will try the spreadsheet idea.

Thanks everyone  :-+  I thought it was me.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Technobabble_

• Regular Contributor
  • Novice. Self-Certified Fabricobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:12 pm »
I get the tracking information and use a program called 'Parcel' to keep an eye on delivery status. If you want to track more than four orders you have to pay an anual fee of $4 US or thereabout :\

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 08:49:16 pm »
I really don't understand why anyone is having a problem ?
I have (currently) about 5 pages of orders (gulp)....
Each time an item arrives I open it, check what it is, find the appropriate item(s) - I do like others - I order items from multiple suppliers to get the better postage - eg, STM32 modules - from 5 different suppliers!..
So, when one arrives, I simply hover the mouse over the 'track order' button (you do not need to even click it!) - the number that appears on the tracking WILL be on the package. I simply check these off as they arrive.
I mark each one as arrived but do not delete them.
Sometimes I can get 5 or 10 items in one day, but it takes a few minutes only.
EVERY package / envelope WILL have the number on that is given when the track order button is 'hovered' over .
The item may well NOT be tracked in the normal sense of the word, but the numbers will correlate. ;)

The one thing I haven't found yet on AE is a way to quickly 'follow' a supplier - or add them to a 'favourites' list. Some are superbly fast with excellent packaging and quality products. I always note these and use as a preferred supplier, but it's a pain in the arse getting to 'follow' them.
Perhaps I am completely missing some very simple way to do this ?
 :o ::)

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 12:07:13 am »
I get the tracking information and use a program called 'Parcel' to keep an eye on delivery status. If you want to track more than four orders you have to pay an anual fee of $4 US or thereabout :\

Do you have a  link?  I cannot find it

thanks

Offline Technobabble_

• Regular Contributor
  • Novice. Self-Certified Fabricobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 06:47:17 am »
It's only for Mac/iPhone...  :-BROKE

https://parcelapp.net/

Offline whatsupskip

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:13:08 am »
This also helps because the "Awaiting Delivery" tab is not necessarily reliable.

Glad to see that it isn't just me having this problem.

Has anyone worked out how to see what date you received an order on?
We put it into the system, but according to Aliexpress support, only the supplier has this information. Sounds like a rubbish answer to me.

I ordered same item from several sellers at the sametime (order), one was faulty. I knew when it had arrived, but couldn't use this date to match back to the seller. Now I write down part of the tracking code on the plastic anti static bag until I have tested it, within the 14 days allowed. Obviously only applies to items worth going to this effort.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 05:11:15 am »
It's only for Mac/iPhone...  :-BROKE

https://parcelapp.net/

I use Parcel, too. It’s convenient, having all of the delivery services show up in just one app, instead of having the UPS app and the FedEx app and the rest.

Offline kjr18

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 11:17:41 am »
I use this software. On Android you can scan barcodes, set multiple carriers for one tracking number, custom coloring depending on time brackets and many other things. I don't know about barcodes on windows app, I don't use it much often. Normally Aliexpress shows order number only, but some small browser addons can display barcodes, and simply clicking number in aliexpress android app can put tracking number in clipboard. And it's free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf