Author Topic: How do you deal with a frustrating situation? (BGA reballing)  (Read 714 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
How do you deal with a frustrating situation? (BGA reballing)
« on: December 16, 2017, 12:22:58 pm »
So the BGA reballing kit (stencil + holder type) I ordered arrived today and I start trying it using one of the cheapest BGA chips that I need to reball. Well that is where the hope ends as no matter how I try there is always a few balls that refuse to stick to the chip. The solder balls are supposed to mely at 217 degrees Celsius (lead-free balls) but even with my hot air turned to 285 degrees it won't stick.

I am on the verge of returning the kit (except the 0.6mm balls which I have used some - I am an honest customer and would not return my used consumables) and throwing away the chips (that includes some SoC I was planning to experiment with, but without reballing it is going nowhere.) Do you have any suggestion, both on the technical side (as how to reball using stencil and balls - my previous post on this fell on silent ears, and the online material almost always called for preform which I cannot find) and on the anger management side.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: How do you deal with a frustrating situation? (BGA reballing)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:04:31 pm »
All of the balls rarely stay in place. Your goal is to get the bulk on, and then deal with a few that would not stick without the stencil.

Watch Louis Rossmann videos. He has done lots of reballs and has a very practical approach to the whole thing.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf