Author Topic: How do you protect yourself from ebay sellers selling broken gear as used?  (Read 5065 times)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: How do you protect yourself from ebay sellers selling broken gear as used?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 03:45:07 am »

No one sells a perfectly working unit as unknown condition. Boot it up, hook it to a func gen, get waveform/spectrum/whatever readout, totally takes 2 minutes, and even for the most expensive labor, say, $100/hr, that's only $3.33, and the extra value is way higher than that if it's working.

In two minutes you can verify that a piece of equipment is good working - used by my definition of used.

There are few if any pieces of gear that you can verify in a short time to the Ebay definition - which requires that all ranges, all modes of operation, all sockets, all switch positions, all indicator lights and all display elements meet new specification.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 03:57:45 am »
In two minutes you can verify that a piece of equipment is good working - used by my definition of used.

There are few if any pieces of gear that you can verify in a short time to the Ebay definition - which requires that all ranges, all modes of operation, all sockets, all switch positions, all indicator lights and all display elements meet new specification.

If I sell a bit of equipment on ebay, I tend to tell them exactly what I've done to test it that way there can be no confusion. If I simply powered it on and verified that it appears to boot, I'll write that but I won't attest to the condition or all other functions which I haven't tested.

I think phrases like "good working order" are rather arbitrary and have different meanings depending on who you ask. If I saw that on a listing, I'd expect all functions of the device to be verified in "good working order", not just some of it.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 10:14:14 am »
It is always best to show another instrument hooked up as well and both show the same value.
This increases the confidence level steeply.
Not too many sellers do this on ebay and it is so simple.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 10:35:26 pm »
It is always best to show another instrument hooked up as well and both show the same value.
This increases the confidence level steeply.
Not too many sellers do this on ebay and it is so simple.

As long as you make it abundantly clear that the other instrument is not for sale as part of that listing.

I can't tell you how many times people have bid on my items without even reading the damn description! For example, I can write in large bold, red, underlined, text that an item is for pick-up only and shipping is not available, yet I'll still get people messaging me asking how much shipping is to their location (after they've bid and the listing has closed).  :palm:

It's almost at the point where I could say the package is just a house brick, nothing more and someone will still bid on it. Yes, people are dumb!

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 10:45:32 pm »
It is a red flag for me when a seller insists that something is both "used" and "as-is"
Thats kind of like wanting to "have your cake and eat it too". (US expression for unreasonable conditions)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:47:25 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »

No one sells a perfectly working unit as unknown condition. Boot it up, hook it to a func gen, get waveform/spectrum/whatever readout, totally takes 2 minutes, and even for the most expensive labor, say, $100/hr, that's only $3.33, and the extra value is way higher than that if it's working.

Well, yes - that is the problem; the fleabay definition of "used" is not very useful.

For example, if I flog amscope showing the step response but I haven't twiddled all the input capacitance compensation caps, what should  I do? Used seems appropriate, but it violates fleabags definition of used.

It is probably easier to say "for spares or repairs", plus "will answer questions", plus "inspection welcome".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:44 pm »
It is a red flag for me when a seller insists that something is both "used" and "as-is"

I've never understood that myself, of course it's "as is", it wouldn't be as anything else. It's like saying "it comes as it comes", it's redundant.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 12:02:58 am »
eBay clearly defines used as working and of acceptable quality. If it’s used as is with no refunds then the seller is at fault. I’ve had a couple of items refunded after they were listed similarly and turned out to be turds. As a seller I only sell stuff as for parts with “working but listed as for parts because no returns on old equipment” unless I’m actually providing a warranty with it.

I’ve never sold anything duff or had a return in about 400 sales.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:05:35 am by bd139 »

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 08:54:10 am »

They should remove all categories apart from "new" and "not new". Trying to define "used" or "for parts" to a line in the sand is ludicrous anyway, you will never please everybody.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:28 am »
They should remove all categories apart from "new" and "not new". Trying to define "used" or "for parts" to a line in the sand is ludicrous anyway, you will never please everybody.

That's too extreme. Suitable divisions could be along the lines of:
  • new
  • used full spec: I tried it and put it back in the box
  • usable: functions, but not everything is guaranteed to full spec
  • spares or repair: for cannibalisation
That won't solve all problems, of course, but it would be a useful addition. I would use "usable" to describe old scopes where I can't test everything.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 11:11:57 am »

It won't solve any problems. If it aint new then it should be buyer beware.

People expect different things from any attempt to generally specify.

If I buy a stool and it has a foot missing it is scrap, if I buy an NVA with S parameter setup and it has a foot missing I wouldn't bother mentioning it.

Same fault two different things. It is not possible to have general descriptions. It should be buyer beware and ask the questions beforehand. I buy and sell several things a week on ebay so not a big user but bigger than a lot and to me that definition is not something I even look at other than to remove new from the search results generally.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline nes999

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 08:55:53 pm »
Ebay is tough on sellers. My father and I used to sell racing parts. We would buy race cars of various classes and strip them down for parts. We tested everything we sold. We had someone buy an dragster engine from us. After the auction closed he messaged us saying he didn't have a way to start it, could we help in out, blah blah sob story. We had only 1 around so we offered it for free. We ship him the engine and starter for the same price listed. Two weeks later he opens a claim saying the starter doesnt free. We fought eBay best we could and ended up getting hosed.
 The worst part is we had to pay return shipping.

When we got the engine back we tore it back down to make sure it was still sellable. He ran it without coolant and burnt up the motor. So we went back to eBay to fight. EBay still sided with the buyer. That is the LAST time we ever helped someone. He also had the audacity to leave negative feedback for the transaction.

We used to protect ourselves by testing everything and posting pictures of everything imaginable, insides of tires, insides of sockets, you name it we probably took pictures of it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf