Author Topic: How does this snake oil really work?  (Read 106813 times)

Offline ResR

• Regular Contributor
  • -Artificial_Intelligent-
Re: How does this snake oil really work?
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:20 pm »
About the reason behind to use the crappiest red LED's - see attachment. 30 years old soviet red LED on a single AA. I tried to build the circuit using MPSA 92 (pnp) and 13002 (npn) and it was a fail. Then I found this.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:43 pm »
13002 (npn) and it was a fail.

13002 isn't fast enough.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Chupacabras

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »
I've been an avid student of the quantum vacuum for 16 years.
Wow, what a wasted time...
...and wasted energy...

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »
About the reason behind to use the crappiest red LED's - see attachment. 30 years old soviet red LED on a single AA. I tried to build the circuit using MPSA 92 (pnp) and 13002 (npn) and it was a fail. Then I found this.

Funny to see that the Soviets didn't use Cyrillic writing on their batteries. Tried to make it look more western :)
(Batteries meant for export?)

Offline ResR

• Regular Contributor
  • -Artificial_Intelligent-
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:48 pm »

Funny to see that the Soviets didn't use Cyrillic writing on their batteries. Tried to make it look more western :)
(Batteries meant for export?)
Battery is not soviet :-DD :-DD :-DD quite opposite - american brand, indonesian made. Only a red LED with odd semiconductor that lights up with that low voltage.   
Although some things were with English writings (made in ussr) that was meant for export outside soviet union including fluorescent light bulbs (lb-40).

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »

I've been an avid student of the quantum vacuum for 16 years.

Not trying to attack the author here, as I am genuinely curious as to the answer to this question:

Where and how have you been studying this?

Offline Old Rusty

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2015, 09:54:55 pm »
A bit offtopic but :

Does anyone know how I could make those leds pulsate (as an addition to the circuit)? It would make an interesting project for a novice electronics hobbyist like me, like a DIY bike flasher or something like that.

Thanks!

(P.S.: I've been watching Dave's videos for about 2 years now but this is the first post I ever made here. I finally got the courage to register among you guys ! ;D)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2015, 10:04:10 pm »
Depends on what you mean by "pulsate"?
There are a great many implementations of things like the Larson Scanner and micro-controller circuits/code that implement fade in/out.
If you want to BOTH operate a large number of LEDs from a single AA cell AND add "pulsing" functionality, that will not be a simple thing.
But if you want to use a more conventional power source (>= 3V) there are endless possibilities.

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:21 pm »
A bit offtopic but :

Does anyone know how I could make those leds pulsate (as an addition to the circuit)? It would make an interesting project for a novice electronics hobbyist like me, like a DIY bike flasher or something like that.

Thanks!

(P.S.: I've been watching Dave's videos for about 2 years now but this is the first post I ever made here. I finally got the courage to register among you guys ! ;D)

They will be pulsating, but what you want for a blinker is a lower RC time constant. Or in this case a lower LC time constant. I think you will be better off starting with a different circuit to learn this though.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2015, 11:44:56 am »
Battery is not soviet :-DD :-DD :-DD quite opposite - american brand, indonesian made. Only a red LED with odd semiconductor that lights up with that low voltage.   
Although some things were with English writings (made in ussr) that was meant for export outside soviet union including fluorescent light bulbs (lb-40).

Damn, i am so stupid.  :-DD
It is so obvious that the LED is a Red ... erm... i mean a Soviet...  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:46:36 am by elgonzo »

Offline ApolloOne

« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2015, 02:30:59 pm »
This man is going places... not college/university, but places.  |O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=JI7kwXtavWc
 :palm:

Offline blackice504

• Contributor
    • Storm Cell Systems
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:59 am »
Hi everyone been very busy then i seen Dave's rant about this, i feel very scared that people believe in such crap especially after been debunked so well, I honestly feel scared in this twisted world where we live in, the other day i seen religious nuts at Bella Vista from that cult church you know the one where the head guys dad was outed and the son known all about it "Bobby huston or something like that... and now this......i am not joking i really felt worried been in the same shop as them after they finished with there Cult worship.............I could not believe how many of them there where now, I not been near that place in years then people wonder why many people like my self stay away from Sheeple oh i meant people.

Thanks Dave and everyone else for debunking another sheeple, so we can get on to some real engineering and science.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2015, 12:05:55 am »
i feel very scared

After that rant, it is clear that the only thing you need to be scared about is yourself.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2015, 12:39:14 am »
i feel very scared

After that rant, it is clear that the only thing you need to be scared about is yourself.
Hmmm yes, it was a little close to the margin - and as if I can talk!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2015, 01:51:18 am »
Hi everyone been very busy then i seen Dave's rant about this, i feel very scared that people believe in such crap especially after been debunked so well, I honestly feel scared in this twisted world where we live in, the other day i seen religious nuts at Bella Vista from that cult church you know the one where the head guys dad was outed and the son known all about it "Bobby huston or something like that... and now this......i am not joking i really felt worried been in the same shop as them after they finished with there Cult worship.............I could not believe how many of them there where now, I not been near that place in years then people wonder why many people like my self stay away from Sheeple oh i meant people.

I see these young kids daily flocking out of Hillsong, and it makes me kinda sad  :(
I live and work within a cooee of this place.

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2015, 09:47:58 am »
A bit offtopic but :

Thanks!

Look at something with a 555 timer in it.
That will get you that blinking light that you want!
Easy, cheap and a quick project!

Greetings
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline marful

« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »
A bit offtopic but :

Thanks!
By "pulsate" I assume you mean that the individual LED changes in intensity to create a pulsing effect?

The easiest I can think of is to do this with Pulse Width Modulation via a microcontroller like an arduino. Simple circuit to create, can be powered entirely from the arduino (when only using a few LED's...) and the code is already in the built-in help library.

Like you, I've been a long time follower of Dave's youtube videos. This is my first time posting here, as I wanted to read how the whole debate went down on the message board.

It was very entertaining!

Also, Dave's video breaking down the circuit and designing his own was very interesting, thanks Dave!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2015, 02:00:43 pm »
Also, Dave's video breaking down the circuit and designing his own was very interesting, thanks Dave!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum!

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2015, 05:08:16 am »
I do cringe every time i see an EEVBlog "<thing> is BULLSHIT!" video in my YT feed, i think Dave gets wound up a bit too much. Makes me slightly embarrassed to be an engineer for some reason...

It makes me ashamed as an engineer that other engineers stand BULLSHIT without any problem when it's sugared enough, and cant't stand anyone debunking it with facts. Whatever the kind of language used.
No, i just feel that there is no need to 'shove it in the face' of the uneducated, rant and rave when engineers have logic and reason to back up their argument.

I can completely understand why Dave makes such videos. "Solar roadways is bullshit" obviously reaches a much wider audience on youtube than a 7.5digit multimeter teardown. I hope i am not the only one on here who would rather watch the latter and it would be a damn shame for EEVBlog to turn into a 95% condescending rant channel like Thunderf00t's.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:56:26 am by TMM »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2015, 12:17:44 pm »
No, i just feel that there is no need to 'shove it in the face' of the uneducated

It depends. For people feeling self inadequate, "shoving it in the face" of the uneducated / under-educated, many times themselves included, may feel therapeutic.

I suspect that's why so many "engineers" feel superior - driven internally by their inferiority syndrome.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2015, 12:34:09 pm »
No, i just feel that there is no need to 'shove it in the face' of the uneducated, rant and rave when engineers have logic and reason to back up their argument.

These are not innocent uneducated beginners, quite the opposite in fact. They are people who obsessively research this stuff, are deliberately ignorant of any facts presented to them outside of what they want to hear, have a genuine unwavering delusion of biblical proportions, and they have an agenda.

I can completely understand why Dave makes such videos. "Solar roadways is bullshit" obviously reaches a much wider audience on youtube than a 7.5digit multimeter teardown.

True. And yet I rarely make videos like this, why do you think that is?

I hope i am not the only one on here who would rather watch the latter and it would be a damn shame for EEVBlog to turn into a 95% condescending rant channel

You really think that's going to happen? A handful of debunking videos in over 700 videos is hardly evidence of a trend.
I very famously lack tack, so you know what to expect in my rant/debunking videos, yet you still watch them and complain, why?
That's a rhetorical question BTW, if you don't like my rant videos, don't watch them.
I expect a certain percentage of people not like what I say, or the way I say, that is in fact inevitable regardless of what I do.
If you expect me to change just because you, who is 0.0005% of my audience don't like the way I say thing things, I wouldn't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:36:13 pm by EEVblog »

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:10 am »
These are not innocent uneducated beginners, quite the opposite in fact. They are people who obsessively research this stuff, are deliberately ignorant of any facts presented to them outside of what they want to hear, have a genuine unwavering delusion of biblical proportions, and they have an agenda.
Not everyone watching the videos is one of those obsessive wackos. The confronting tone of the videos probably only winds them up more, and scares off the genuine newbies.

Online janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2015, 09:50:35 am »
I think I have found a great explanation of the quantum vacuum phenomenon mentioned early in this thread:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/vacuum.png

:-+

Offline Psycho

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:21 pm »
"Doctor, do you recommend a chemical free diet?" - "Only if you want to starve to death."

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2015, 04:10:55 pm »
Not everyone watching the videos is one of those obsessive wackos. The confronting tone of the videos probably only winds them up more, and scares off the genuine newbies.

This sounds like concern trolling more than anything else. I doubt Dave's tone is going to scare away anyone with a genuine interest.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf