Author Topic: How Good is the EEVBlog?  (Read 80085 times)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: How Good is the EEVBlog?
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2014, 01:14:27 pm »
A huge effort and I hope it gives Dave more satisfaction (and renumeration!) than grief; trolls or whatever they are called get my BP up.
Fortunately they are few here and I seen a few elegantly 'defused'.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »
With my car related project I found that the most stressful feedback I had was from the overly keen, chatty types who just kept pouring on the praise but also kept asking question after question, email after email, day after day, week after week.

Mix a dozen of these in with a few haters and lunatics and it it became too much after a while. But then I'm not really cut out for dealing with the general public.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:46:55 pm by G0HZU »

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2014, 02:11:58 pm »
I like a bit of woodwork and came across this youtube video. Need to watch it to the end though.

Hope the video embeds OK

Edit: How to embed the video  :-//
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:03:36 am by mswhin63 »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »
lose the s on https....

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2014, 12:04:00 am »
Thanks Sean  :-+

Offline m100

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »
The videos are as good as ever, but in the last few weeks the sound IMHO has really gone down the pan, often far too quiet but also clipped and distorted.  Tried on both my laptop and a desktop and get the same problem.  Anyone else hearing this or is it my ears that are on the blink?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2014, 10:38:08 pm »
The videos are as good as ever, but in the last few weeks the sound IMHO has really gone down the pan, often far too quiet but also clipped and distorted.  Tried on both my laptop and a desktop and get the same problem.  Anyone else hearing this or is it my ears that are on the blink?

No changes my end.

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2014, 11:35:26 pm »
Comparing EEV with Ben Heck Show is like comparing a space shuttle with a paper rocket ... even Chinese can make better electronic video to explain how shitty there product are. It's so damn silly ... nothing informative at all. I think EE is all about details so Dave being educational can't harm (i make effort not to speed-up video sometime to be honest  :P ) but hy those details even if it bore some experienced viewers can really explain things for new engineers.

I suggest to make video introducing some real "live" experience with higher engineering level, that can be both interesting for newbie and a bit challenging for expert ...i don't know, ex analogue chips and circuitry are widely unknown or misunderstood those day cause of ppl are getting more interested by programmable chip !!! doing some hardcore analogue experience that will be fun i guess  ;D

One thing about that knife , it's really ...  ??? didn't like it , but ... your lab your tool  :P
All the talking about accent , just :blah: perfect accent totally understandable
Waiting for the next video  ;)

Offline janengelbrecht

• Regular Contributor
    • JP-Electronics
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »
There isnt any better Videoblog on the inernet than EEVBlog. The reason is really Dave. He is skilled - funny - and i rather like his values and points of views :) The technical aspects is also of high standard. Including the picture quality etc.
A lot of other Videobloggers lacks the engineering skills that Dave have....so its rather easy to judge...noone above og besides Daves EEVBlog....Its the ruler of the internet :)

I follow other videobloggers and sometimes I think...why in the hell are they in the game when they lack the theoretical skills needed to fully understand the subject they are covering ?

Could it be still even bether ? Anything can :) I´m not into the opening of letters stuff...I prefer the projects.....where Dave design stuff...also when he explains theory... But then again im just little me.....no matter whats on the Tube with Dave .... i see it...im a great fan :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:47:37 pm by janengelbrecht »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2014, 11:40:43 pm »
I'm still watching.

Offline Sounduser

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2014, 09:46:59 am »
I quite like the bed heck show. I'm totally new to this. But it's fun. Get some basic information, presented as an actual application. Even if they are pointless sometimes.

I love the camera work on the eevblog, it's always good to see what's being gtalked about.

What's funny, I found Ben hecks channel searching for pinball and Daves channel searching for acoustic panels.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2014, 11:55:39 pm »
I watch/subscribe to a number of blogs and particularly like instructional blogs.

I do have trouble watching videos with hand held shots where continual movement massively detracts ones concentration (sometimes to the point of feeling seasick) despite excellent content and/or those videos with mumbled diction.

Whilst I'm basically an English only speaker, I'm in admiration of those bloggers where English is not their first language - it's the content and presentation that matters.

Don't misunderstand me. I know I'd be hopeless without endless hours of rehearsal.

For me Dave generally gets the overall balance right and seems to have a natural talent for presentation.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
Jiggle cam should be banned except during missile attacks.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2014, 02:55:15 pm »
i think the question and the answer are one and the same

QUESTION
How good is the EEV Blog ?

ANSWER
How could is the EEV Blog !

LOL
that says it all

Maybe you have to be from Australia to understand this, i'm not sure

for those that don't
it's similar to saying

HOW GOOD IS THAT
as a statement not a question
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2017, 07:11:55 am »
Once in a while we see complains about the EEVBlog, some people don't like the camera work, some don't like the new seating position for the mailbag, others complain about the topics. Well, I don't think we appreciate how good the EEV Blog is, Dave has done well over six hundred videos and most if not all of them are still watchable years later.

However.....................

I only appreciated how good Dave's work is after someone sent me a link for the Ben Heck Show https://www.youtube.com/user/thebenheckshow/videos It's horrible, really, it's like watching the Discovery Channel.

Lots of sponsorship messages
Annoying background music
As in Mythbusters he switches between two topics in one video
Very little technical content
Questionable technical skill (heatshrink is not supposed to be applied with an open flame)

So, the next time you feel like complaining try somewhere else then come back, we'll be waiting  :)
Switching between topics and scenarios in a show is something that has been done for quite a few years across all sorts of programming in the US. It pisses me off no end. Luckily there's very little of it here in the UK.
I have to agree though,  Ben Heck is an annoyingly wanky person and so are his shows. He's like a middle aged man that wants to be a cool and relevant to 20 year olds. It seems he's discovered 3D printers and now he thinks he's an Electrical Engineer, Software Engineer and Scientist. Even the promo thumbnails for his videos that pop up get right up my back. Now where's my coffee :P

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2017, 10:36:30 am »
Its good, i like the vids although to be honest I find most too long and i fastforward often. The point is made and then remade tens of times. Keep the vids max ten minutes and I think your views will rise.
I love the forum and members though, great community.

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2017, 11:02:20 am »
I like the long format and the level of detail, and have the attention span required. I'm sick of that trend towards keeping everything short, just to please the younger generations that deem every text above 140 characters too long that need things boiled down to bullet points and pros/cons, glossing over the details in the process. Get off my lawn!

Keep doing what you're doing Dave, as I'm sure you will no matter what anyone says.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
Its good, i like the vids although to be honest I find most too long and i fastforward often. The point is made and then remade tens of times.

Show me one video were I repeat something 10 times.
Ok, I know you are exaggerating, so I'll be generous, so show me a video were I repeat myself for twice as long as needed. i.e. the video is twice as long as it need to be to convey the exact same amount of information and point that I make.
I challenge anyone to take any one of my videos and then edit it to half it's length and keep every single piece of information.

You can't have both.

Sure I could entirely change my shooting method and workflow to make shorter more polished videos with the same content (that involved either scripting, or shooting, checking and then re-shooting again), but you can't magically make the same content 10 times shorter, 5 times shorter, or often even half as short.
OR I could deliberately keep them shorter by leaving out a ton of stuff, but that's not my thing, and it's not how I built this channel.

There is another electronics Youtuber who makes polished 5 minutes. Guess how many hours it takes him to make one 5 minute video...

If you prefer shorter videos, ok, that's fine, many do, but if you are going to say they are long because I repeat the same point over and over, please provide some proof of that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:54:07 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, SkyMaster

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2017, 06:37:09 pm »
If you prefer shorter videos, ok, that's fine, many do, but if you are going to say they are long because I repeat the same point over and over, please provide some proof of that.
Where are the "beach"videos stored? I remember fast forwarding a lot through those.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2017, 04:55:37 am »
Where are the "beach"videos stored? I remember fast forwarding a lot through those.

The beach videos are not representative of my usual EEVblog videos, these are single long take rants done with zero editing, just press record and upload the camera file.
I mean my regular polished numbered videos.
There is a good reason why my regular videos typically have 50-100 recorded shots, it's so I don't repeat things like you'd get in a single take 10 minute rant.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:58:50 am by EEVblog »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2017, 04:52:01 pm »
In that perspective I withdraw my statement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf