Author Topic: how long are multimeter models good for?  (Read 6102 times)

Offline d4n13lTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
how long are multimeter models good for?
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:27:07 pm »
Hi,

I want to buy a multimeter, Dave suggests the extech ex330 in one of his videos but this video is from 2011. So I'm wondering if it's still a good option, how often are there upgrades on multimeters? do you have a better more current recommendation with similar quality/price?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: how long are multimeter models good for?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:29:46 am »
Or the BM257. I think the bar graph is a worthwhile upgrade.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 05:10:34 am »
My Fluke 87 was made in the late 90s and it's still a fantastic meter. Test equipment isn't like a laptop or smartphone, it doesn't get outdated quickly.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 07:09:38 am »
I have two OLD Fluke DMM's -- the 27 that dates back to, about, 1987 and an 85 that's about 1990.  Both still work just fine after about 30 years. 

Brian

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:02 am »
An EX330 is $50. At this price, a close option for low energy circuits (electronics mostly) is the UT61E. You could also go for a pair of Aneng 8008, but read carefully the threads around here for its limitations for electronics. Also, the durability of the Anengs is unknown (they are too recent).
If you go higher in price, the Brymen options are quite interesting.
A few years ago Extech showed a wide variance in its quality control, where buyers had brand new meters with both nuisances and blatantly dangerous problems. This eroded their brand at the time, but their current state is unknown.
As james_s said, a DMM is a tool that may last a lifetime, therefore there is no need to upgrade it or chase after the latest model every two years. Considering its durability, the price you initially pay for a DMM is watered down throughout the years of use.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 03:07:17 pm »
It's a multimeter, not a pair of Yeezies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West#Fashion

|O

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:00:21 pm »
 As long as there are no component failures, or a change in requirements that need better resolution or ranges not available on the old equipment, theoretically the life span is indefinite. For testing the resistor wheels on my model trains, I have an relatively ancient 8012A clip-leaded to a piece of track. Accuracy is more than adequate for the purpose, it's AC mains powered so I don;t have to worry about batteries, and I don't have to fiddle with holding probes on a wheelset.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 07:43:05 pm »
I have old multimeter called AVO8 it have been made at first half of the 1960's, the last official calibration sticker is from 2003, when it still were used by military. It is still on its specks (The 2500 Vac/dc ranges are unknown)

I do also have old 2nd hand Fluke 8030A (1970's, yes 1970's), which I compared to a new in a box Fluke 117 for a few years ago and the readings were equivalent to each other.

Note though that these were a premium multimeters when they were new.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:45:20 pm by Vtile »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 07:53:13 pm »
Hi, with me it ran like this:

When I restarted my electronic activities, I bought a bunch of Chinese low-cost meters. For the coarse stuff I needed in the beginning, they were good enough.
After a while I tried to build and measure trickier things, and that brought them to the limit. RMS was no RMS, resistor measurements had large errors, ...
In the debugging process of a larger circuit, I found out (after a few wasted hours) that not my circuit was wrong, but the multimeter displayed nonsense.
Lesson learned: I kicked all of them out and bought some Fluke 85V for about 20 times the price of the junk.

Status today:
- All the 85 Vs work and display the same values within their tolerance
- All (I bought 5) are still on the first battery after 3 years.
- Never had an issue with wrong readings
- They have a LIFETIME guarantee (their definition of lifetime is eight years after a model has been discontinued).
- They are safe, with ample protection by MOVs and fuses. See Daves tests for multimeter safety, then you will probably never by a cheap one

In other words this stuff is an investment, but worth the money.

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 09:26:45 pm »
For whatever it's worth, I've had an EX330 since I started messing with this stuff ~6 years ago and I still love mine. Never had any issues, works great, does what I need it to do.
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

Offline M4x

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 09:37:25 pm »
I've bought a used Gossen Metrawatt Metrahit One Plus (https://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/produkte/metrahitoneplus.htm) when I was an apprentice on eBay for around 100 €. I'm using it for about 12 years now. A few days ago I've bought the 121GW because I like the project and some of it's features. To be honest, the only functions I've really missed on my Gossen is a backlight, True RMS and the ability to measure voltage and current at the same time. One could use two multimeters for the last one (that doesn't mean that I've no use for the nice features of the 121GW [it's data logging right now] ;-) ).

You see: Choose a quality meter and you can get very happy with it for a long time.

Max
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:40:38 pm by M4x »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 09:43:41 pm »
I still occasionally use my Fluke 8060a. It's about 30+ years old, and still in spec. It lacks auto ranging and it's probably not as safe as modern meters, but I love using it for some reason. Generally speaking unless you abuse it, you buy a multi-meter for life.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 10:05:41 pm »
My Fluke 87 was made in the late 90s and it's still a fantastic meter. Test equipment isn't like a laptop or smartphone, it doesn't get outdated quickly.
I think the main reason would be new safety standards and older meters not adhering to them, but that's mainly a worry in professional settings. This isn't an issue for the home gamer.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 11:47:33 pm »
I'm not aware of any significant new safety standards, Fluke has pretty much always been at the top of their game so a 30 year old Fluke is probably just about as safe as a brand new one.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 12:12:39 am »
I am also not aware that the CAT xy rules changed lately. My 87Vs can probably be inherited to future generations before they die.
I dont like the throwaway society too much, anyway.  :)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 02:23:56 am »
I'm not aware of any significant new safety standards, Fluke has pretty much always been at the top of their game so a 30 year old Fluke is probably just about as safe as a brand new one.
Joe Smith tested a new 87 against a much older one and the new one was a lot more robust.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 03:58:06 am »
Robust and safe are not necessarily the same thing. The sort of testing he does is generally irrelevant to a hobbyist, and I would also be shocked if even an ancient Fluke is less safe than most of the modern low cost meters on the market.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 03:59:27 am »
My Fluke 87 is about 22 years old. It has been dropped, rained on, traveled the world, lost in Las Vegas, recovered 2 years later.......

I can't imagine anything more robust.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 05:39:25 pm »
Joe Smith tested a new 87 against a much older one and the new one was a lot more robust.
Yes, but how many homecooker will do a such hi-power electrical or power electronics work that need a meter to withstand a huge switching transients in the industrial or distribution scale.. Where the surrounding circuit/equipment is not more potentially lethal than the meter itself. Almost none (and those who do should be already in the level to be able to design their own multimeter if decided). The normal wall socket low voltage (yes official term) will not toast even a legendary rubbish meter XX830 if not plugged in with wrong scale on it (don't lick the power socket neither). I would be much more concerned about the desk lamp rubbish power cord etc.

That said a good meter is a good meter and if you can get safety even better.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:41:35 pm by Vtile »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 06:19:04 pm »
I've still got a few Fluke 25s that I use, all are accurate despite being about 30 years old and are ideal for hobby use

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 07:36:54 am »
Multimeters are good for as long as they meet your requirements (or it breaks, blows up, etc.). So, don't sweat it. It's not going to gradually get slower due to OS updates or nonsense like that.

There are lots of good suggestions for models that might work in this thread and in many threads like it here. Grab one and enjoy!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 09:08:10 am »
I've got old Avo's that are all still perfectly functional and they're older than a nice Jap Kaise meter that I got for my 21st nearly forty years ago. I'd be surprised if my daily driver a Fluke 15B lasts that long, it's only a young'un at ~6.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 02:19:29 pm »
Yes, but how many homecooker will do a such hi-power electrical or power electronics work that need a meter to withstand a huge switching transients in the industrial or distribution scale.. Where the surrounding circuit/equipment is not more potentially lethal than the meter itself. Almost none (and those who do should be already in the level to be able to design their own multimeter if decided). The normal wall socket low voltage (yes official term) will not toast even a legendary rubbish meter XX830 if not plugged in with wrong scale on it (don't lick the power socket neither). I would be much more concerned about the desk lamp rubbish power cord etc.

That said a good meter is a good meter and if you can get safety even better.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

About 20 Joules on the high side.  That's your idea of a huge switching transients in the industrial or distribution scale, you are obviously lost.  My sad little gas grill ignitor does most of the low end meters in, like the 830 you mention.     

Anyone interested in having a better idea about the transients I have been running, watch the following:     
https://youtu.be/PJTJJodEuyA

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
Yes, but how many homecooker will do a such hi-power electrical or power electronics work that need a meter to withstand a huge switching transients in the industrial or distribution scale.. Where the surrounding circuit/equipment is not more potentially lethal than the meter itself.
What about DIY EVs? A lot if not most of the DIY automotive scene is wiring up premade modules and not many even know how to design electronics from scratch.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf