Author Topic: how the ee brain works...  (Read 8056 times)

Offline jancumpsTopic starter

• Supporter
  • New Low
how the ee brain works...
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:00:34 pm »
Do you have that too, when working on something,
that you don't think about your subject under design,
but that you are the subject under design?

Funny how the brain works. I sometimes catch myself in the midst of playing a comparator inside my own scull. Or a microcontroller register.
Go figure :)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: how the ee brain works...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:28:25 pm »
How does my mind work?

1) I can carry around in my head a multi-page schematic diagram yet forget that we need margarine.

2) Give me a movie name and I can probably name the principle actors and give you a summary of the plot but I hardly ever go to the movies.

3) Aspergers means that I can deliver a talk to a room full of radio hams on my chosen subject yet if a pretty woman comes up and says hello my knees turn to jelly.

4) I've worked on thirty floor elevator installations, bungee jumped in New Zealand and done a freefall parachute jump from 7000 metres but I have a really REALLY strong dislike of insects and creepy crawlies.

5) I don't have a smartphone because I just want to make and receive calls and I don't run MS Windows because Microsoft sell a really poor product.

And finally..........................................

6) When logging on to EEVBlog the first section I always go to is 'Beginners' because as an Engineer it's my duty to pass on my knowledge to those just starting out. Dave does the same but he's better at it than me.

Welcome to the mind of German_EE
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline lukewproffitt

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:41:39 pm »
I could program a microcontroller in OPCODE, but can't reliably tell you how old I am (27, well thats my answer for now anyway)

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:34:50 am »
I could program a microcontroller in OPCODE, but can't reliably tell you how old I am (27, well thats my answer for now anyway)

I have to ask my wife how old I am.  For some reason 2015 - 19xx is to hard for me.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:28:24 am »
Nicely.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:08 am »
Constantly
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 04:01:37 am »
Always looking to learn, and need not be electronics. Everything from cooking and welding to how to get the best shine on a woodworking project or mars exploration......

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 05:29:29 am »
Always looking to learn, and need not be electronics. Everything from cooking and welding to how to get the best shine on a woodworking project or mars exploration......

It occurred to me recently that there's a corollary to nerd sniping that I think of as geek sniping.  Basically, instead of being helplessly drawn into abstract or logical puzzles, it's the phenomenon of being immediately fascinated by the most intricate details of a much more specific, concrete, and often mundane subject.  Probably both result from the same underlying psychological characteristics--particularly the inability to leave a newly discovered subject ungrokked--so naturally there's a lot of overlap between the groups who are susceptible to one or the other.  Even so, the manifested behaviors are distinctive between the two phenomena, largely as a result of the differences in subject matter that would indicate different cognitive approaches.  For instance, the quintessential resistor grid nerd-sniping problem indicates a strictly objective mathematical/analytical approach, whereas cooking, to use one of your examples, indicates an information-gathering and -synthesis approach that inescapably incorporates a high degree of subjective opinion.  See also: Kirk vs. Picard.

Anyway, just something that occurred to me after I realized I'd just spent an hour researching mechanical pencils.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:05:27 am »
You can't remember to close brackets,either. ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:17 am »
How does my mind work?

1) I can carry around in my head a multi-page schematic diagram yet forget that we need margarine.

2) Give me a movie name and I can probably name the principle actors and give you a summary of the plot but I hardly ever go to the movies.

3) Aspergers means that I can deliver a talk to a room full of radio hams on my chosen subject yet if a pretty woman comes up and says hello my knees turn to jelly.

4) I've worked on thirty floor elevator installations, bungee jumped in New Zealand and done a freefall parachute jump from 7000 metres but I have a really REALLY strong dislike of insects and creepy crawlies.

5) I don't have a smartphone because I just want to make and receive calls and I don't run MS Windows because Microsoft sell a really poor product.

And finally..........................................

6) When logging on to EEVBlog the first section I always go to is 'Beginners' because as an Engineer it's my duty to pass on my knowledge to those just starting out. Dave does the same but he's better at it than me.

Welcome to the mind of German_EE

I'm not an EE,so I go to "Beginners" to harass the noobs.
It's such a joy! ;D

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 06:26:48 am »

It occurred to me recently that there's a corollary to nerd sniping that I think of as geek sniping.  Basically, instead of being helplessly drawn into abstract or logical puzzles, it's the phenomenon of being immediately fascinated by the most intricate details of a much more specific, concrete, and often mundane subject.  Probably both result from the same underlying psychological characteristics--particularly the inability to leave a newly discovered subject ungrokked--so naturally there's a lot of overlap between the groups who are susceptible to one or the other.  Even so, the manifested behaviors are distinctive between the two phenomena, largely as a result of the differences in subject matter that would indicate different cognitive approaches.  For instance, the quintessential resistor grid nerd-sniping problem indicates a strictly objective mathematical/analytical approach, whereas cooking, to use one of your examples, indicates an information-gathering and -synthesis approach that inescapably incorporates a high degree of subjective opinion.  See also: Kirk vs. Picard.

Anyway, just something that occurred to me after I realized I'd just spent an hour researching mechanical pencils.

Speaking of concrete, and yes that is how my mind works. You say a word and I go off and think of 5000 concrete related items. None of which relate to the conversation.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 06:31:40 am »
No one needs margarine :P

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 06:42:38 am »

And now I want to make some toffee bars. Yes, I have a full pantry and lots of marg.

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »
a) I can't resist sudoku puzzles.
b) I never cook. I have zero interest in the subject.

Apparently that makes me a nerd.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 11:31:03 pm »
No kidding that crap is two or three atoms away from plastic.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:23 pm »
I am not an EE but; I have redesigned a couple of transmitters, worked for one, and stayed at a Holiday Inn.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline uChip

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:21 pm »
I once sat on an IEEE committee.  We were a group of about 20 nerds tasked with hammering out the technical details of a spec for a communications protocol over a four day meeting.  Somebody arrived on the first day with this new puzzle.  We'd never seen it before.  It was called a Rubic's Cube.  The next day everyone arrived with a copy of the puzzle.  No coordinated buy.  Not really even any discussion.  But participation was 100%.  The meetings tended to degenerate into silence and all you could hear was the squeak, squeak of people working their cubes.

Bonus points if you can correctly name the committee/spec.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 12:26:53 am »
I don't care much about my own birthdays, feel more like an actor in other people's game that day.
But when I turned 15.000 days old... that was something special.
Hey, not that really special, just a rounded number in an arbitrary base-10 numeral system...
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Leiothrix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 09:26:10 pm »

And water is one atom away from rocket fuel.

Margarine is still terrible though, just not for that reason.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:38 am »

And water is one atom away from rocket fuel.

Margarine is still terrible though, just not for that reason.
It sure is. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 12:35:10 am »

Yuuup. I sometimes think it's 2014.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 12:37:50 am »

Thanks to you I'm switching to the aforementioned crap.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 02:03:18 am »
You can't remember to close brackets,either. ;D

And I can't read postings-------for some reason,I expected to see the closing bracket after the "27"! :-[

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf