Author Topic: How to get a job as an electronic engineer  (Read 14750 times)

Offline IcarusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to get a job as an electronic engineer
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:02:58 pm »
Hi folks;
Well I can't get JOB
I have recently graduated electronics engineering and physics. I've designed a lot of DIY projects such as an Analog IC (not just a simulation 50 mos). I've been writing programs with C++ since i was 12. I've designed a processor for a specific application (FPGA) and lots of power electronic circuit, analog instrumentation stuff. I 've experience in embedded linux
So, I can't get f****** job.

What should I do ? What is your advice ?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: How to get a job as an electronic engineer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:08:17 pm »
What country & city are you in?

Keep trying...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:12:33 pm »
I'm in Turkey, Istanbul

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »
A little more information would be helpful. Where did you graduate from, and what jobs have you applied for?

Are you getting interviews, or being rejected before that stage? It might be worth posting your CV so we can take a look.

It sounds as though you have some good experience, and personally I place a lot of value on experience gained outside of a degree course. It shows genuine interest and enthusiasm for the subject which a lot of people don't have. If you can help that come across at interview, it should definitely work in your favour.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
Thank you for support.
I'll translate my cv to english and put it in here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:39:35 pm by Icarus »

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:06:29 pm »
I don't have much experience in employment advice area, so you should definitely take this with a (huge) grain of salt, but it seems to me that kind people who want to help you need to (as we say it in my language) pull words from your mouth with pliers.

You told us why you think you'd be proficient, but what you haven't told us is why you'd think that companies you applied for a job would think you're proficient enough to do the job.

You haven't told us what type of positions you applied for and what type of companies you applied for. You haven't told us anything about what type of impressions you think you left during interview (and we don't know if you even got to the interview phase and if you did, to which sub-phase you got to).

Sometimes hiring patterns may look extremely strange to outsiders. For example some agencies in my country are basically family run businesses and when they're hiring, they already have candidate in mind before process even starts, so you basically need not apply. Some other companies only hire graduates from certain universities and that becomes visible only after you analyze their employees for a while. 

Some companies may want a level of "focus" from their candidates. For example I've been a witness to analyses of CVs for a marketing position in a company. A candidate finished engineering related secondary school and then moved on to undergraduate economics studies, but not in marketing before finishing marketing masters. That was judges as too unfocused. Seeing you finished both physics and electronics engineering, some people may think that you're a jack of all trades and master of none. Back to the company example: Another candidate's problem was that he didn't look "refined enough" even though he had needed experience. Sure, that type of job requires more people skills that engineering, but I wanted to use it as an example of non-obvious requirements.

Since I'm talking about "people skills" how good are you with that? Do you fit with local expectations? Can you easily explain to others what you think? Some data about communication with companies would be welcome here. Once again, I'll mention two diplomas: to get them, probably means you're very smart. That can sometimes be a problem if it's some lower level manager that does the interviews. He might be intimidated by you! Also have you been "networking" with people in same position? What do other recent graduates from your schools say? Are they having problems finding a job as well? What are their experiences?

You also mentioned that you're a recent graduate from an university, but you didn't write more about that. Are your grades good? In some areas some employers may pay more attention to grades than real experience. Opposite of what I wrote can happen as well. If you're too good, some companies may avoid you. Sometimes it may look like a better idea to hire an average Joe who will be happy with the job and work for years than a genius who will find the job bad and want to move on as soon as he learns the basics.

One more thing I'd like to ask you if how long have you been looking for a job? Perhaps it just takes more time to find one than you expected. Are you aware of how things are going in your local jobs market? If you haven't already, try looking up some statistics and see how well you're going. It could be that the job marker got saturated quickly by large amount of new graduates for example. One more thing that could happen is that companies got used to an "employer's market" where they could pick right candidate from a sea of very experienced candidates and the sea quickly drained up without the companies noticing it. That happened in few areas in my country and for a while nobody could get hired until the companies realized that they can't hire a guy with decades of work experience for a beginner's salary.

As I said, I don't have much experience in looking for a job, but keep in mind that the more information you provide, the greater are the chances that someone could give you helpful comments.

Finally I wish you good luck in your search for a job!

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »
In Turkey there are large household electronics manufacturers like Arcelik (Ardo), Vestel...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:11 pm »
There's a lot of good stuff here!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With regard to your CV, one of the things I'd normally check - but (sadly) can't do if the original isn't in English - is the quality of the spelling and grammar.

I know it's an emotive subject, and plenty of people will argue with me, but personally I'd found a very strong correlation between the quality of written English in a candidate's CV and how they perform technically at interview. If someone has a keen eye for detail, and getting things correct comes naturally to them, it manifests itself in the quality of their writing.

Even if there wasn't such a link, one thing which I've had to explain to a few candidates is that it's not necessarily what they can do that matters - it's what they can explain to other people that they've done. There's no point in doing all manner of clever things if you can't clearly explain and record what they are, and that's another reason why I look so closely at the quality of their CV.

If you're getting interviews, then chances are your CV is fine... it's getting you through the door, and that's what it's there for. That's why we need to know a bit more about where your job search is going wrong.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »

With regard to your CV, one of the things I'd normally check - but (sadly) can't do if the original isn't in English - is the quality of the spelling and grammar.

And of course if you are writing in a language you don't speak natively, it is essential to get a native speaker to proof-read it.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 08:59:59 pm »
Try networking and asking people. Many jobs are filled with out ever being advertised.

If sending in your resume is not helping try walking into the door of the building and talking to an HR person (that is often easier said then done).

Good luck
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 09:45:33 pm »
Oh god please whatever you do don't work for Vestel. I fix so much of that junk, it's crazy how bad it is. Cost cut everywhere. Unless, that is, you know how to fix that ;).

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:54 am »
I've read hundreds, or possibly thousands of grad CVs over the years, at times in a recruiting phase I'd have them piled 50cm (that's 18") high on the desk. To get an interview then your CV needs to stand out. Crisp, clear and concise on no more than two pages of A4. If you're a grad then you won't have much good experience so I want to know what option courses you've taken and what final year project you did and how it turned out. I also want to know a little about you, but only a short paragraph with facts, so mentining being a member of the university hangliding club is good, telling me that you are a focused team player just tells me that you've nothing more interesting to write about yourself than reusing stale cliches.

And of course if you are writing in a language you don't speak natively, it is essential to get a native speaker to proof-read it.

I remember a discussion I had over a CV. I refused to interview a bloke and my boss wanted to know why as he thought the CV was ok. I pointed out that I didn't want anyone that used the word "eclectic" on a CV when he clearly didn't know what it meant. Such little things are the difference between getting an interview and not.

If you are getting interviews then the CV isn't the problem but your interview technique, but I'll leave that for another time.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 12:11:19 pm »
Thank you everyone. I have been looking for a job for two months (1.5 to be precise)
I've applied 20 jobs and got only 4 interviews. My GPA is 91/100
With your guidance, I dediced to re-write my CV.

Offline sprocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 02:02:45 pm »
A well written CV and job application is alpha and omega when you are in competition with loads of other dudes with similar qualifications that you have. You have to stand out, be precise and concise, you have to remember the guy reading your application probably have a stack of 200 applications on his desk waiting to get sorted, so don't waste his time either. 

So basically what you need to do on the first couple of pages of your application is to make sure your application don't get trashed in the first sorting. There are many ways to do this, but tell a little about your self, perhaps add a picture, in doing that, the guy doing the hiring will instantly relate to you and not toss your application in the bin. If you are doing volunteering work in the local sports club or what ever you are doing make sure you add that as well, tells a lot about a person what he does in his spare time. You might do a little research on the company you want to join so the application you have sent don't look like a copy pate application you could have sent to a hundred other companies, it shows interest. Calling the guy might be an idea too, but you have to be careful doing that, he will get very grumpy after 200 random guys calling about a job, asking the same questions. So if you do call him, make sure you have relevant questions.   

All the in depth detail stuff about your qualifications and the stuff you have made is secondary in the first sorting. All the fancy details is in my experience obviously important, but only really matters when the HR starts to figure out who he wants to call in for interviews.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 02:36:51 pm »
Build a social network, which you should already have done in university but hey it is never to late to start.
Ask friends/family if they know someone inside electronic companies you are interested in, then try to contact and just ask to see what kind of job he's doing and what the company does. Don't ask directly for a job (which is not done) but at least get to know some people inside and more important let them know you!
Be a bit more pro-active if the passive way does not work for you. But then that is the western european style, I have no clue what the customs in Turkey are  ;)
Maybe you should also try companies outside Turkey  ;)

Offline BBQ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »
Another one here (B.Sc EE). 5 months and counting.

There is a bunch of details adding up making it a hard time for me.

Not finishing in time.
Not graduating from one of the top schools.
Close to no working experience at all.
Shrinking job market.
Increasing number of graduates.
Hard to get an apartment in the bigger cities where most of the jobs are.
"They can't really get through to me and see my personality" ?  :-// No idea on this one.

Maybe this is not the right path for me. Unfortunately there is a hard time getting any kind of job right now.
Confidence is pretty low right now.

Offline Tris20

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:19 pm »
How many have you applied for? According to "UK 300"( see guardianuk300.com), of the Uk engineering students surveyed, 11% have been searching for 3 months, 38% for 3-5 months, 33% for 6-8 months and the rest have been longer. Also, average job applications made is around 26. However, it doesn't state what jobs these students are actually going into. I feel your pain though. Everything I see is asking for at least a 2.1  A lot of jobs I see are asking for this even a few years after you've graduated as well, so just one or two bad exams and you're missing out on a lot of job opportunities, regardless of whether or not you've picked up the knowledge since. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:39:21 pm by Tris20 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »
If you want to get ahead of other applicants: build circuits in your spare time to broaden your horizon. Trade your X-box, Playstation, TV, etc for a soldering iron and a scope.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 07:30:40 am »
Everybody told me "be honest in the interviews". I belive that's a terrible idea.

Let me give you an example

Some guy: How long would you expect to work for us if hired ?
Me: As long as we have mutual benefit.
- What is that ?
- You need enginners and i welcome (salary) cheque.

At that point my buddy told me that is a very bad response. In fact that's blunt truth because I know well that if I become a liability, the will fire me instantly.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 07:56:55 am »
Everybody told me "be honest in the interviews". I belive that's a terrible idea.

- What is that ?

At that point my buddy told me that is a very bad response. In fact that's blunt truth because I know well that if I become a liability, the will fire me instantly.

There is a difference between truth and tact that is essential to learn.

Offline ah ffs

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 08:46:54 am »

- What is that ?

A no BS response. I like it but certainly not what HR want to hear.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 09:10:47 am »

- What is that ?

Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 09:22:14 am »
It's a great response to share with a few mates *after* you've been hired, but however honest you'd like to be, it's really not what an interviewer wants to hear. They want to feel like they're in the position of power, where they'll be able to make the decision as to how long you actually end up working for the company (even if that's a total illusion and you're free to walk out any time you get a better offer).

IMHO you should give them some credit. If they're asking you how long you'd work for them, it's suggesting that they're planning to keep you on for a long time, and that's a good thing. Tell them what you'd *like* to do. Maybe say "for as long as the work remains challenging and allows me to develop as an engineer", or "at least a few years, with a view to moving up into engineering management as the team grows".

But not "for as long as I need your money". Seriously  :palm:

Offline ah ffs

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 11:08:36 am »
What country & city are you in?

Keep trying...

For how long though? How long can you have been unemployed or work in an unrelated industry before you will no longer be considered by any engineering company and end up with a wasted degree?

I remember a discussion I had over a CV. I refused to interview a bloke and my boss wanted to know why as he thought the CV was ok. I pointed out that I didn't want anyone that used the word "eclectic" on a CV when he clearly didn't know what it meant. Such little things are the difference between getting an interview and not.

You wrote off a candidate for a single word in their resume? That's a bit strong isn't it?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:40 am »

You wrote off a candidate for a single word in their resume? That's a bit strong isn't it?

When you've got a couple of hundred CVs with perhaps twenty useful candidates in them, it gets to the point where you need to whittle it down to a number suitable to interview. I don't want to interview more than five for each position open, so need to lose fifteen. On such small things major decisions are made.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf