Author Topic: How to sell masses of excess test & radio equipment (UK) - Thoughts please  (Read 10709 times)

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
Fraser, nice list.

Awaiting for the prices. :-)
Nuno
CT2IRY

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I might be interested in the Advantest R3132. I have an R3131 and I'd like to upgrade to a color display.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
And then there is the extensive Thermal Camera collection to weed !

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
The easy bit is listing the equipment. As stated, the hard part is setting sensible prices !

This thread has given me what I needed. Now to do some research on true market values. If I list this kit for sale via this forum it will be in the buy and sell area. I have been offered some help selling the kit on eBay by someone who is a professional seller so we shall see.

Fraser

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
I'm sure that the RF equipment would sell at a HamFest, but I don't know whether you could get a better price on fleabay. I am told that if you can get an indoor pitch with power, then seeing something working increases sales/prices.

On fleabay, one strategy for determining prices is exemplified by http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-465-100MHz-Dual-Channel-Oscilloscope-Dual-Delayed-Timebase-/282034513741 but make sure to read the full description.

For stuff that would be useful to a local tradesman, e.g. safety equipment, IR cameras etc, it might be worth trying Gumtree.

Vaguely which part of the UK are you in? I'm in the SW.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
The Midlands :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Holy hell Fraser, just think how big that list could've been if you've had a few more years before retirement. :scared:
Shit you were busy.  :o

And listed from memory, wow.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
The Midlands :)

So not too far from the A34/M4 hamfest http://www.nadars.org.uk/rally.asp on 19th June nor the national hamfest at Newark on 30 Sept / 1 Oct http://www.nationalhamfest.org.uk/. Might be a cheap easy hassle-free way of testing the waters and seeing what sells. I've seen scopes priced at £150 being bought, and well as many £50-£100 noise sources / amps / etc. I've also seen HP sig gens on sale.

While a most hams still work in the <200MHz region, there's also an active microwave (and even mmwave) contingent.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:15:15 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Not sure on the other side of the pond, but the hams here are CHEAP.  Most hamfests are people trying to sell the same old junque, er, I mean fine vintage gear for 5X what it's worth or people who are selling at quite decent prices are getting beat up to give it away.  Just keep that in mind if you go to a hamfest.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Not sure on the other side of the pond, but the hams here are CHEAP.  Most hamfests are people trying to sell the same old junque, er, I mean fine vintage gear for 5X what it's worth or people who are selling at quite decent prices are getting beat up to give it away.  Just keep that in mind if you go to a hamfest.

It's exactly the same on this side of the pond.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor

I would be surprised to see an expensive (?>£250?) piece of modern test kit kit sold at a HamFest. Things like 1GHz boat anchor sig gens, 5-7digit DMMs, and comms analysers do sell.

Smaller "pocket money" items do sell, including broken things! I presume (since I have zero interest in them) that ICOM transcievers would also sell.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
Here it's the same deal, Ham's like cheap stuff, but some like to pay fair price that is a good deal for both sides.
I'm a Ham and I like everyone enjoy a good deal, but I don't mind paying the fair price, if the deal is good for both sides.
The SA's, Signal generators, 6 or 7 digit DMM, Comms analyzers, are specific to some Ham people, so is the noise sources and etc.
There are Ham's that would buy that stuff if they are dedicate to building stuff or fixing Ham gear.
The ICOM will sell, but it's not one ICOM transceiver it's only one Receiver, so less useful to a Ham, but if the price is right it will sell, for once I wouldn't my having one in here.

Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
That is a good list, must be a big house!

Good luck in selling it, must be a good 20 or so years younger than mine. How will you answer the question "does it work?", with manuals, presumably you still have the manuals, going through calibration will take hours. If you just turn it on won't take hours. Trouble is customers might expect newish gear to be in calibration, at that point might discover that the hassle exceeds the income.

I am trying Tekscopes, some interest.

• Super Contributor
Yes, we live in a large house :)

I sell all equipment as tested for basic functions only, no calibration certificates.

The buyers of this sort of kit get it at a great price and are usually hobbyists so calibration is not such a worry. Quality kit tends to hold calibration well anyway. I have zero interest in selling to buyers who 'kick tyres' and want calibration certs and a warranty as good as the original OEM. I am a hobbyist and bought the equipment without such. I will pass it on to similarly sensible people :)

None of the listed kit is worth more than around £600 so calibration is just not a sensible route to take.

Thanks for the thoughts though. It is all appreciated.

I have been offered help from a professional eBay seller who I class as a friend. He will even store the stuff in his warehouse 20 miles away from me. It is looking a promising avenue for equipment disposal as he has the eBay listing creation and packaging processes in place already.

My sincere thanks to all of you who have helped me to understand the options open to me for the sensible disposal of the equipment. This is a truly great forum to obtain such advice.

Fraser

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
A couple of easier options might be to either approach someone like Stewart of Reading - www.stewart-of-reading.co.uk (no association) or maybe to approach the BVWS - www.bvws.org.uk - and put everything in one of their auctions.

Saves the hassle of ebay and packing and posting.

• Super Contributor
I have kind of done that as I am discussing with my commercial friend his selling the stuff on my behalf for a fee or at least helping me to bulk list and pack it all for a fee. That takes much of the load off of me. He is a good chap with whom I have done a lot of business and I will likely have to fight hard for him to accept a fee from me.

Fraser

Offline veryevil

• Supporter
Congrats on finding a solution.  I'm a little sad to see it go on eBay as I'd love a spectrum analyser and I'm only in Derby.

All the spectrum analysers on eBay goes over a grand pretty much. 

Good for you,  less so for me  :'(

• Super Contributor
@Veryevil,

I have three Advantest R4131 units so maybe could sort you out. The last one I sold went for £700 though. That was a R4131B and the remainder are the better R4131D model with AFC and better accuracy.

I may be able to do better for you. PM me your budget and I will see if I can help you.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:47:10 pm by Fraser »

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
How much for the ICOM R7100 wideband receiver?

• Super Contributor
The R7100 needs to be photographed and tested. It is in nice condition but feel welcome to make me a 'ball park' offer to see if we are om teh same page. I do not bite, honest  :)

I also have several R7000 receivers that are in fair condition that I will be selling reasonably cheaply as well.

The R9000's will be a bargain for someone as they will likely go cheap.

Fraser

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor

The R9000's will be a bargain for someone as they will likely go cheap.

I lusted after these in the radio mag adverts when I were a lad.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
Considering the current US ebay prices, I would offer something in the 230-250€ range for the R7100, if it's in good condition. R9000 is too big, complex and expensive for me :)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Yes. That is the problem looking at the R9000's 30 years later. I had a look at the current ebay prices. It is amazing what a 5 dollar usb  dongle can do today.

Offline 1xrtt

• Regular Contributor
@Fraser: Please make the items available for overseas buyers. I've bought/sold some things through this forum and that went just as well as using Ebay.

I always send parcels with track&trace and there is an occasional issue but so far none of the parcels I send/received to/from allover the world got lost.

IMHO the easiest thing to do is make a list and put (reasonable) fixed prices in there and then slowly reduce the price if it doesn't get sold after a while. That is also a form of auctioning things and doesn't involve haggling!

Yes!  :-+  I get that shipping overseas can be some hassle, but it's just so hard to find a combination of quality equipment, reasonable price and a seller willing to ship internationally.
Man, I'm so frustrated on this, I just arrived from a week at Weybridge, If I saw this thread before, I would've surely payed a visit to Fraser.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Damnit, I absolutely have to buy a pair of glasses and really must save more money before reading threads like this one.

Fraser, I wish you the very best of luck selling all this equipment, I'd *really* like a decent 'scope and an SA but probably don't have the funds so it's probably best I don't drool over the list too much but I'd be really interested to know how much you would part with a cheap SA for (perhaps even faulty)?

(and yes, I'm cheap because I'm poor but realise the kit has a value, doesn't stop me dreaming though.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf