Author Topic: How to tell who's the "best engineer"?  (Read 6655 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: How to tell who's the "best engineer"?
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 11:58:28 am »
One of my techniques for design positions was to say "a manufacturer wants us to design a traffic light controller for a 7yo toy car/road set. What do you suggest?". Then we would have a leading conversation based on what they thought of and what the company would do. That two way flow of information was most revealing.
Posing a simple project can be a good approach. For experienced engineers, asking them to talk about a previous project can flush out a lot of useful information about the person. Especially when you are trying to figure out the level of seniority that enjoyed in their previous work.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 02:07:09 pm »
One of my techniques for design positions was to say "a manufacturer wants us to design a traffic light controller for a 7yo toy car/road set. What do you suggest?". Then we would have a leading conversation based on what they thought of and what the company would do. That two way flow of information was most revealing.
Posing a simple project can be a good approach. For experienced engineers, asking them to talk about a previous project can flush out a lot of useful information about the person. Especially when you are trying to figure out the level of seniority that enjoyed in their previous work.

Very true. Any interviewer that didn't/couldn't do that would be a Big Red Flag that it would be a bad place to work.

At one interview I explained all the hardware and software I'd created. The interviewer clearly hadn't been listening since he then asked me if I was "really a hardware or software engineer". I instantly switched off, and was merely polite for the rest of the interview.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline pardo-bsso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 07:21:29 pm »
Some background. I live in Argentina and in particular, the town where I am, well... there aren't many EEs around or even related companies out there, so it is just not a possibility to build meaningful relationships with the community, simply because there isn't one. There's no elder with a beard to go ask technical questions to and in terms of buying equipment and components, the borders are virtually shut, so while possible, it is not easy nor cheap to buy stuff.

Where are you now? come along to embebidos32, we are a cool bunch of people. I've found that hanging around university research labs lending a hand from time to time gave me access to a lot of interesting things to expand my knowledge and a pool of people that's invaluable.

The book Analog SEEKrets has nice tips too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf