Author Topic: How to use velcro to mount test equipment to fabric ?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
How to use velcro to mount test equipment to fabric ?
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:11:20 am »
Hi

I am mounting some AN8008 meters on a fabric surface.  The fabric is dense weave but I do not know the material.  I am using round self adhesive and about 3/4 inch in diameter velcro patches.  The patches seem to stick ok to the meters but after a day or two some patches come loose from the fabric.  The fabric is glued to fiberglass so it is stiff.

I do not want to mount permanently because this is just an experiment.  So no strong glues, I do not want to destroy the fabric.   

I mount two patches on the back of the meters, one at the top and one at the bottom.  Oh, I almost forgot, I want to be able to remove the meters, thus the use of velcro. 

This is part of a portable display so the meters have to survive being moved around without coming loose from the fabric.  Seems to me that they are under the most stress when they are upside down and get bumped. Yes, I am testing by hitting the display when the meters are upside down (like fastened to a ceiling).

Thanks

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: How to use velcro to mount test equipment to fabric ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:09:16 am »
A sticky subject indeed, based on your description it might be a matter of finding the right double sided tape for this particular application, one of our customers is a large curtain and blind manufacturer who use an industrial strength clear tape which I get for free in a variety of different widths.

This tape sticks better than anything else I've ever used previously on all sorts of surfaces, the brand name on these rolls is Venturetape USA if that helps. Otherwise perhaps you could sew a Velcro patch to the material or use some fishing line to affix the meters to the boards, like always an image would probably assist instead of a mental picture.   ::) :P

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:14:01 am »
You could also try 3M Dual-Lock Fasteners.

They basically operate like velcro but the interlocking pieces are made of plastic. They are like little teeth which lock together to form a very strong but removable bond. You can buy them in rolls of various lengths. The adhesive on the back is some kind of 3M glue which is the strongest thing known to man.

I used to use it to stick audio equipment to the under-side of table tops.

It comes in two flavours, the clear type is suitable for indoor use only and the black type which is suitable for outdoor use. You also don't need to buy two different rolls (like you do for regular "hook and loop" tape). Two pieces cut from the same roll will interlock with each other.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 10:01:29 am »
I just use regular haberdashery generic Velcro strip, and sew the loop section to the fabric, using a loose hand stich, so that it is easy to just unpick the thread and leave almost no damage to the fabric afterwards, only going through the existing gaps in the weave of the fabric. To stick the hook side to the meter I would recommend getting some double sided foam 3M VHB tape. That stuff is amazing, sticks to almost every clean fresh oil free surface ( so wipe down the meter back and the back of the hoop section with IPA first, and air dry for a few seconds before using the tape) and forms a very strong bond after a few seconds of firm pressure. Can be removed with only minor work and rubbing afterwards as well, but really is intended as a permanent thing, seeing as the major use for it is holding cladding to building exteriors and holding e3dgeless glazing to the frames.

The Velcro is easy to pull off when needed, and strong enough to hold in place with moderate loading and vibration. If you cannot get to the rear of the fabric easily 9 like it is already a piece of furniture or a ready made item) then use a curved needle to sew with, and some sailmakers thread. The needles and thread are available at any haberdashery shop, or any arts and crafts shop ( or even any of the many China mall shops) for under $1 for the needle set of around 10 needles, scissors, thimble, dressmakers tape and threader, and the cotton sail thread is also under $1 at the same stores, or just use any cotton thread or even dental floss instead.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 09:02:41 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Today's failure was the velcro came loose from the meter.  Pic attached

Confession

This is a briefcase.  I want to install 4 meters, a function generator, 4 bucks set at 3.3, 5, 9, 12, a var ps, 6 USB 5 v ports, 2 o-scopes (one is in the pic - the next one will be a DSO150).  Seems I am forgetting something.  Everything is to fit in the lid.

Within the next couple of years I have to downsize greatly, from 3 bedrooms to a studio.  In this case from a full 10x12 room to 4 briefcases.  This case will have all my test equipment in the lid part and work area in the bottom part.  This reminds me of my NOS Tek 465, I will make a post on this.  The other 3 cases will be for parts.

The fabric is glued to fiberglass so sewing is impossible.  I never thought about double sided tape.  I think the next thing to try is use velcro without adhesive and double sided tape.

I have to be able to remove the meters to replace the batteries. 

What I need to balance is the connection be strong enough to withstand traveling and at the same time be weak enough they can be removed to replace the batteries.

Last night after I made this post, I placed the case on the floor and stood on the velcro patches to press them into the fabric.  Today the fabric-velcro connection held up.  It was the meter-velcro that failed.

Once I get this worked out the next thing to fasten to the fabric is circuit boards (the bucks).  They do not have to be removable but I think heat will be my problem (making any glue soft).  The power source is going to be a Dell laptop PS at 19v.

By taking pictures I notice the lid has a lip.  I think I will use a thin piece of plywood and wedge it in against the lip.  Then fasten all the equipment to the plywood so I do not have to deal with the fabric.  Then I could use small brads.

I will try all the products mentioned here. 

I have two size bucks, $3 and two $10 versions.  I am trying to figure how to use them.  One of the $10 bucks will be 12v.  Maybe the other for 5v and use the $3 ones for the other voltages.  (the $10 is bigger than the $3).

Thanks

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 10:26:55 pm »
You might be able to carefully lift one edge of the fabric and glue a piece of sheetmetal to the briefcase and re-glue the fabric over it.  Small magnets fastened to whatever you want would allow multiple configurations.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:24:14 am »
I just use regular haberdashery generic Velcro strip, and sew the loop section to the fabric, using a loose hand stich, so that it is easy to just unpick the thread and leave almost no damage to the fabric afterwards, only going through the existing gaps in the weave of the fabric.

Interesting.  Great minds think alike.  After many experiments, I too found sewing the best bet.

Also, I use thin dental floss (with larger eye opening needles) and not clothing threads.  Dental floss can really take a lot of tension before it snaps.  I also use permanent marker pens on the dental floss so I can have "threads of the right color".

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:51:02 am »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf