Author Topic: Where can I find this little LED thing?  (Read 841 times)

Offline IchisukeTopic starter

• Contributor
Where can I find this little LED thing?
« on: April 25, 2023, 09:09:33 am »
I lost one of this. It was inside an old glass flower thing. The one in the picture is inside a more recent glass Christmas decoration. I'm not able to find information on this exact light. I'd like to buy another but I don't know the precise model for this. I've tried googling different photos but there are no results. I could buy another glass decoration object but I wouldn't know what type of little led there's inside, since it has to be that size to fit in correctly.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Where can I find this little LED thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 09:23:12 am »
That looks like a custom COB (Chip On Board) PCB to me, with clear epoxy coating rather than the normal black. It doesn't have the look of something that was purchased from a normal semiconductor manufacturer. Your best bet is probably to look on a China marketplace like Ali, it might be used in other Chinese stuff too.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 09:35:19 am »
Agreed.

I have some LEDs and heatsink PCB for them (ex China) that would look something like that.  But it would be useful to have some idea of size.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 10:01:06 am »
What does that LED do? Is it a RGB, flickering, duo color, chromatic [color changing], white type?

You might find some of the 5050 size surface mount LEDs are a good match. If we know what it does.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 10:45:09 am »
Agreed.

I have some LEDs and heatsink PCB for them (ex China) that would look something like that.  But it would be useful to have some idea of size.

In size it's like a bit bigger than an LR41 battery. You actually use 3 of those batteries and insert everything in the bottom of the object you have to illuminate. So it definitely takes 4.5volts.

What does that LED do? Is it a RGB, flickering, duo color, chromatic [color changing], white type?

You might find some of the 5050 size surface mount LEDs are a good match. If we know what it does.

This one slowly changes the light from red to blu to purple. The one missing had a flashing effect instead but I'm not looking for a specific effect, just one compatible in size that I can put in the decorative object.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 01:51:56 pm »
Look online for "3mm color changing LED". These two pin LEDs cycle through R-M-B-C-G-Y and only require a 2.5+ volt supply. There are quick cycle and slow cycle types. A 3mm LED might fit into the decorative glass flower.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 05:52:33 pm »
It has three chips: two LEDs and a controller.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 06:04:55 pm »
Ok thanks. I'll try and see if I can find something.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 10:33:19 pm »
To answer the original question: I doubt you'll be able to find anything like that. Your best bet is to make your own. A small 6-pin microcontroller, such as the PIC12F200 and a bicolour red/blue LED and some tiny resistors will do. To save space, you might be able to skip the decoupling capacitor, or use a low value  such as 10nF, if it's close to the battery.

The following users thanked this post: Ichisuke

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 11:01:42 pm »
Ok thanks. I'll try and see if I can find something.
Cheap widget breaks, finding replacement part is hard.... buy another cheap widget and throw away the broken one ?

The following users thanked this post: Ichisuke

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 05:56:21 am »
I have a very similar blinky that came out of a toy ball. It's unlikely that you'll find an exact replacement but there are probably Chinese sellers that have something similar. Shouldn't be too hard to make one though, SOT-23 microcontroller and a couple of 0402 LEDs and resistors, code to make it blink however you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf