Author Topic: Naomi SexyCyborg Wu's Patreon Shut Down by VICE  (Read 58498 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Naomi SexyCyborg Wu's Patreon Shut Down by VICE
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:34 am »
Unless I'm mistaken, my comment on Naomi's video has been deleted.
I asked is she had any comment on the doxing claim and that being the reason why per Patreon was shut down.
I do hope she's not deleting comments from people asking legitimate questions.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2018, 08:12:13 am »
I also learned about her from a previous thread. I find her videos extremely difficult to watch.

From the interview I don;t believe VICE did something that isn;t VICE. I believe her that they did something really bad. The way she reacted though...

I also believe the title should be changed.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:15 am »

It does seem that her Patreon was shut down by Patreon and not by VICE?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2018, 08:25:15 am »
Yes. ?cording to Patreon's twitts. At least a question mark at the end.

Alexander.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2018, 08:42:14 am »

Yes. Presumably the Vice person who was doxed complained to Patreon, and Patreon have a zero tolerance policy on this so they shut down her account.
If that was me and I did the doxing by accident I'd be apologising profusely to all and sundry trying to get my Patreon reinstated. But AFAIK Naomi has made no comment at all on the doxing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:43:57 am by EEVblog »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 08:51:07 am »
it happened anywhere including err.... anyway if you (not dave) think its informative, enjoy...

and on to the test...

and err try to save them locally in case it got deleted by the VICE mr president... well anyone is free to delete this if its just nonsense... ymmv...

ps: i wonder what song in the 2nd link its kinda cool if anyone can tell me i'll appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:55:45 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2018, 09:32:39 am »
LoL. Are most of the videos like the ones above? :P :P :P

Alexander.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2018, 09:44:34 am »
This thread is never about Naomi, its all about the OP's obsesion for Chinese chicks.

Hint : Use forum's advanced search, search for posts made by the OP and the item to search for is "Tiffany Yep" ... and take a clue from the oldest date of the post found and approx. the total posts found by the search, it has been almost a decade.

Also look at the OP's profile picture.  ;)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2018, 09:53:55 am »
She cast me in a very positive light the first time I used my miners to help her.

Isn't that obvious that she will do that and be nice to anyone who did pay donate too ?
Above and beyond what she normally does, as in dedicate a post about me including pictures that I told her she can use.
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/932136250454163458
You could say I "bought" a badge of honor to display on my Facebook, which I used to get positive responses from my other friends. It really does make mining feel like a game and every part of the setup now has a special story attached. Several of my friends who work at or used to work at Qualcomm were very happy to see how I was putting Snapdragon processors to good use. (Side note: dragons have special meaning in Chinese culture.)

Good for you Mike, I guess you have a special spot in her heart.  :-+

BTW, hows Tiffany Yep doing ?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:33 am »
Pretty sure my post was removed, unless it was the Youtube fairies.
Still shows up if I log in under my account, but it seems gone from public view.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:48:48 am by EEVblog »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2018, 10:41:21 am »

Probably all this time it was a huge typo mistake, maybe it was by Vice Squad at Patreon, rather than the Vice Magazine ?

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2018, 12:48:56 pm »
it happened anywhere including err.... anyway if you (not dave) think its informative, enjoy...

and on to the test...

and err try to save them locally in case it got deleted by the VICE mr president... well anyone is free to delete this if its just nonsense... ymmv...

ps: i wonder what song in the 2nd link its kinda cool if anyone can tell me i'll appreciate it.

Here's the song:

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2018, 01:14:47 pm »
Pretty sure my post was removed, unless it was the Youtube fairies.
Still shows up if I log in under my account, but it seems gone from public view.

Probably the "Approve comments" option is enabled. You can see you comment, but it wont go public unless approved by the channel owner.

Alexander.

The following users thanked this post: petert

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »
Probably the "Approve comments" option is enabled. You can see you comment, but it wont go public unless approved by the channel owner.

Yep, I just checked that and she has comment approval turned on.
So she won't publish any critical comment or ones that asks questions she doesn't like. That tells me a lot.
I asked her on twitter to comment on the doxing, and I don't expect a reply, yet she was happy to respond to me before in general.
From her zero comments on the doxing I can only conclude that she did the doxing very deliberately and Vice has now done a follow up article stating as much, in fact, even worse, claiming she made further threats.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pax3q7/a-note-about-shenzhens-homegrown-cyborg-naomi-wu

We still feel the story speaks for itself, and have no desire to publicly engage with every subject who disagrees with our stories. Every person is entitled to share their opinion. But in this case, after Naomi published a video containing the home address of one of our employees to multiple platforms and threatened our staff and their partners with further doxing and harassment, we felt it was warranted to discuss what has happened. In regard to the video specifically, the platforms, including YouTube, Twitter, and Patreon, determined for themselves what action to take in accordance with their terms of service.

And this is I think were her narrative fails. Vice don't have the clout to take down Youtube videos (the video description "Vice Magazine will probably get this video taken down" is laughable), or get Patreon to suspend someone. But they, like we all do, have a right to report deliberate doxing and potentially get that material removed. Patreon have a more harsh policy on this though and shut down your entire account rather than remove content.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:10:36 pm by EEVblog »

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »
So let's get a few things straight.....

She makes a brand image almost entirely based on sexuality, but that's off limits to talk about.
A college friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous) also "showed herself off" (to an even greater extent than Naomi ever did) to get Bitcoin back in the day. Would it be OK to ask her just how she showed herself on camera?

So, interviewing a webcam model and asking them to talk about the specifics of their trade? Sounds completely normal.

The only problem in this instance is that something is someone is mixing two genres, ie softcore/modelling with technology, relying on the former as the primary means of success AND the primary means of defining their identity and persona, then they insist that only the latter is permissible as a topic of discussion. Not just in articles either.
That anonymous former Bitcoiner works in a completely different field (medical) nowadays. She also sometimes mixed in some tech as in some basic "how to" guides relating to Bitcoin like how to set up a miner. Some of the things she did to get Bitcoin (like bust the "girls can't pee standing up" myth) were controversial with the Bitcoiners of the day and are definitely not something she would want connected to her real name. While I have no clue exactly how much she made doing all that, paying for expensive medical school or at least taking a big chunk out of the loan is very significant.
Congratulations on getting a shout-out from her. Must feel good. But it's important to be honest with oneself whether that would feel as good if she wasn't so pretty and popular, or whether she'd be validating you if didn't provide utility to her. If you check out her comments sections on videos, there are hundred of guys hoping for a response from her. Not intending anything as a personal attack either, its just very obvious what is happening when you take a step back from the situation.
Above and beyond what she normally does, as in dedicate a post about me including pictures that I told her she can use.
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/932136250454163458
You could say I "bought" a badge of honor to display on my Facebook, which I used to get positive responses from my other friends. It really does make mining feel like a game and every part of the setup now has a special story attached. Several of my friends who work at or used to work at Qualcomm were very happy to see how I was putting Snapdragon processors to good use. (Side note: dragons have special meaning in Chinese culture.)

Good for you Mike, I guess you have a special spot in her heart.  :-+

BTW, hows Tiffany Yep doing ?
Naomi's popularity was exactly what makes the "badge of honor" worth something. I could have actually used that to try to "hype up" one of the small altcoins I was mining but then, once the price falls back down, I risk the fallout from unhappy coiners negatively affecting her.

Tiffany Yep is doing very well and really liked how I use technology. I don't think she's into crypto, though, except possibly how it allows arbitrary data to act like a random bit sequence as far as communications is concerned.
This thread is never about Naomi, its all about the OP's obsesion for Chinese chicks.

Hint : Use forum's advanced search, search for posts made by the OP and the item to search for is "Tiffany Yep" ... and take a clue from the oldest date of the post found and approx. the total posts found by the search, it has been almost a decade.

Also look at the OP's profile picture.  ;)

Not just Chinese chicks - Allie Moore, CaitlinV3, Micah Elizabeth Scott, and Rinoa Super-Genius are definitely not Chinese, to name a few.

Micah and Naomi top my list because they're very unique in the shows they make. Rinoa Super-Genius is another one I consider special.

CaitlinV3, Joanne Chiang, and TastyPC host very similar shows and therefore are less unique.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:07:03 pm by NiHaoMike »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 10:03:52 pm »
@eevblog. She replied back on twitter.

Alexander.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 11:14:27 pm »
@eevblog. She replied back on twitter.

She send me a lengthy DM.
I won't reveal what's in it, but let's just say, whilst sympathetic to her plight in China, I'm still not convinced she's an innocent victim here.
I think she played hard ball and she lost her Patreon as a result.
She said on twitter her channel is "dead", and I can't see how. She still has 265k subs, a big loyal fan base, and the ability to upload. The lost Patreon money can be made back in other ways, I don't know why she has to stop blogging.
I think I'll stop now, I know enough and my question has been answered, the claims in the most recent Vice response article are true.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:19:02 am by EEVblog »

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2018, 02:03:32 am »
I think she played hard ball and she lost her Patreon as a result.
She said on twitter her channel is "dead", and I can't see how. She still has 265k subs, a big loyal fan base, and the ability to upload. The lost Patreon money can be made back in other ways, I don't know why she has to stop blogging.
If it's not easy for her to directly accept Bitcoin, how about go through a friend? I recall she has close links with Bunnie Huang. Maybe SerpentZA, who I recall moved in from outside China, can open an exchange account?

Good thing there aren't any GPU coins better than Curecoin/Foldingcoin as far as using them to help Naomi goes (very difficult) or I would have a moral dilemma on my hands - contribute a tiny bit towards curing cancer or help a good friend keep her TV show going? There is a CPU coin (earnhoney) that can be easily used to help her, but my old Sandy Bridge is not efficient enough to make it worth mining this time of year. I could use that as an excuse to build a Ryzen machine except the break even period is silly long. I could look beyond mining, as in stuff like TensorFlowing paid surveys (no unobtanium 10nm ASICs, though), but it would take more than a trivial amount of time to develop and that would have to pay back in a reasonable time. I keep my Paypal separate from my "regular" money for many reasons (mainly security and letting machines set my "hobby" budget), besides giving money is a lot more fun when funneling it through electronics with a net gain.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2018, 11:42:57 am »
A college friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous) also "showed herself off" (to an even greater extent than Naomi ever did) to get Bitcoin back in the day. Would it be OK to ask her just how she showed herself on camera?

I don't think she has a problem with guys in general, just misogynists. She cast me in a very positive light the first time I used my miners to help her.

The followers doing counter attacks are not entirely controllable from her side. If a real life friend of yours was under attack, you would try to do something to stop the attackers, right?
A woman graced you with attention and made you feel special after giving her a steady stream of money? That's amazing! You must have unlocked some secret of the universe.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, PA0PBZ, Ampera, Jacon, BillB, petert

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2018, 02:04:36 pm »
A woman graced you with attention and made you feel special after giving her a steady stream of money? That's amazing! You must have unlocked some secret of the universe.
Steady stream? Only in an ideal world. Mining difficulty is still going up, so the only way to make it steady is to constantly add hashrate to compensate. And the difficulty is already high enough that additional investments in mining hardware take an unreasonable amount of time to pay for themselves.

Offline 8bitgasm

• Contributor
    • 8bitgasm
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2018, 06:49:03 pm »
First it was issues with Shenzhen Maker Faire, then it was issues with Make Magazine, then Vice, now Patreon.  I'm starting to think I know who the problem is in all of this!  Consistently combative personality, her being on the cover of Make was pure PR control on their end to bring an escalating situation to a stop; I feel that still didn't appease her in the end, whatsoever.  Tweets are unbearable and 1% of them have anything to do with electronics anymore.

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, amyk, TiN, Frank, Jacon, Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2018, 08:00:31 pm »
First it was issues with Shenzhen Maker Faire, then it was issues with Make Magazine, then Vice, now Patreon.  I'm starting to think I know who the problem is in all of this!  Consistently combative personality, her being on the cover of Make was pure PR control on their end to bring an escalating situation to a stop; I feel that still didn't appease her in the end, whatsoever.  Tweets are unbearable and 1% of them have anything to do with electronics anymore.
It seems she learnt that controversy sells and can work to her advantage last time. Maybe the lesson this time is that you can also end up on the other end.

Offline 8bitgasm

• Contributor
    • 8bitgasm
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »
It seems she learnt that controversy sells and can work to her advantage last time. Maybe the lesson this time is that you can also end up on the other end.

She's trying to do some damage control that's for sure.  For what it's worth I noticed John Carmack (as in Quake) stopped following her b/w when I looked at her profile yesterday vs just now. ***Grabs pitchfork***  :)

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2018, 08:39:58 pm »

Maybe she has presidential aspirations?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2018, 08:43:58 pm »
LoL. Are most of the videos like the ones above? :P :P :P
Alexander.
i recall in one of her video, she's doing laser sintering 3d printing where she poured the chemical into the tub using gloves while wearing short jeans (you can search in her channel, much like wearing in the OP except pant down below cut down with scissor and brushed with metal brush to give some effects) i was thinking what the F is she doing didnt she think what will happen if the liquid spill onto her thigh? she cared her palm more than anything else, duh she must be onto something else, i bet that thing on her chest are china immitation silicone too. her video's are the most distracting technical videos i've ever seen, its identity crisis.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:49:02 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf