Author Topic: Naomi SexyCyborg Wu's Patreon Shut Down by VICE  (Read 58500 times)

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Naomi SexyCyborg Wu's Patreon Shut Down by VICE
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2018, 06:41:40 pm »
Thanks for the clarifications; perhaps I should have prefaced my previous post with "In my opinion..."

Interesting how I got three different feelings: rage, sarcasm and sympathy. The emotional connection between people and the Internet works after all!  :-DD

It's not that anyone is being attacked; we care for our fellow EEVblog posters and are only suggesting they get the professional help they need.  There has been an uptick in unusual posts lately on these forums from those that might be, in some way, crying out for help. 
I really didn't see it that way. My apologies and thanks for the clarification.

No, no, no.  My comment was actually supposed to be sarcastic.  I really don't care about any of these people.

I guess my wife is right, it is impossible to tell if I'm being serious or not anymore.   :(
:-DD :-DD :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
Attacking Mike? I thought this was an intervention.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2018, 11:07:53 pm »
It's certainly not my intention to attack Mike. It just seems he's pursuing something in a way that will never lead to what he's actually pursuing. That way he's setting himself up for unhappiness. People get stuck in the narrative they create for themselves and a reality check can bring things back in perspective.

People lie to themselves all the time and if that makes you happy, who's to judge? However, if the narrative actually prevents you from ever achieving what you crave the most it's one of the saddest things. I fear that might be the case here.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:40 am »
As for engineering-related content that is good for subjective testing of 4K upscaling using a GPU, TastyPC, JoanneTechLover, and SexyCyborg have delivered well, listed in the order I discovered them. The first two have gone inactive quite some time ago with little explanation and now there's a big question if/when any of them will make new content.

There is absolutely no reason why Naomi can't continue to make content. There is absolutely no threat to her channel or ability to upload content.
Ok, she lost her Patreon income source, was she doing this as a full time gig?
Every Youtuber on the planet started out doing videos in their spare time, and she could continue to do that if she has to go back to a day job.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2018, 01:16:11 am »
Actually hiring a "lab assistant" costs far more than sharing a percentage of mining profits from my small mining cluster. That cluster currently makes about $35/month of coins that convert to Paypal and $25/month of coins that convert to Amazon gift cards, has paid for itself long ago, and only uses about 20W total from my solar power setup.

If you are doing so well why aren't you creating gigantic clusters?
$60/month for 20W translates into $600/month for 200W etc, right?
Heck, a single power point at 2000W could bring in $6000/month, right?

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2018, 01:55:51 am »
...Who cares where does he spend his hard earnhoney money...
Sadly, earnhoney mining is no longer profitable for me - my dated Sandy Bridge E uses too much power mining it. I could build a Ryzen machine that can profitably mine it, but at more than a year to break even on the cost of building the machine, I'll pass. There are coins that are far more profitable to mine.
It's certainly not my intention to attack Mike. It just seems he's pursuing something in a way that will never lead to what he's actually pursuing. That way he's setting himself up for unhappiness. People get stuck in the narrative they create for themselves and a reality check can bring things back in perspective.

People lie to themselves all the time and if that makes you happy, who's to judge? However, if the narrative actually prevents you from ever achieving what you crave the most it's one of the saddest things. I fear that might be the case here.
I managed to achieve a high peak right while the mining craze is starting to come to an end. I ended up with a very memorable experience of mining and my friends recognize me as a great engineer.

Of course, a day after I question when there will be another "model and technology" video, the original player - TastyPC - is back in 4K! One source is better than none, but no engineer wants to be reliant on a single source. And SexyCyborg comes closer to my ideal than TastyPC, JoanneTechLover, or CaitlinV3 does - soldering together stuff and designing a 3D printed case to put it in is a bit more advanced than plugging together a bunch of subassemblies designed to go together and putting them into a premade case designed to enclose them.

There's still lots of room to do even better, of course, and I would like to see another "model" get an interest in technology and start her own TV show with an even greater focus on technology. I suppose Tiffany Yep could get into the game, but she's too busy with real work. And since FPGA programming is most commonly done at work, she'll have to dress work safe so as not to cut out a significant share of viewers, at which point she would basically be another Micah Elizabeth Scott. (Maybe "show off" videos for hobbyists and text/work-safe pictures for work?)

How much market is there for advanced electronics/programming videos presented by a beautiful model?
Actually hiring a "lab assistant" costs far more than sharing a percentage of mining profits from my small mining cluster. That cluster currently makes about $35/month of coins that convert to Paypal and $25/month of coins that convert to Amazon gift cards, has paid for itself long ago, and only uses about 20W total from my solar power setup.

If you are doing so well why aren't you creating gigantic clusters?
$60/month for 20W translates into $600/month for 200W etc, right?
Heck, a single power point at 2000W could bring in $6000/month, right?
You forgot the cost of equipment and exchange/mining limits. The exchanges of those coins are purposely designed to limit (based on IP address, with a blacklist on all known VPN ranges) how much can be exchanged specifically to prevent someone building their own "supercomputer" to mine with. Many years ago, Perk coiners did build some very elaborate clusters, then the exchanges imposed a limit and a lot of coiners had to downsize. Some went to the effort to get a second or even third ISP to get around the IP limits but there's no way that would be profitable nowadays.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2018, 10:41:29 pm »
How much market is there for advanced electronics/programming videos presented by a beautiful model?

Exactly the same as there is for ugly males like us.

She's still playing the victim I see.
She'll learn fairly quickly that that won't work and people will forget her in next to no time.
Oh well, her choice.
Perhaps the "complicant western women in tech" don't like supporting someone who doxes people?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:17:20 am by EEVblog »

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2018, 01:43:59 am »
IMHO, the world of 2018 hasn't been buying into the victimhood playbook so prevalent just a few years ago.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2018, 02:46:30 am »

Exactly the same as there is for ugly males like us.
I'm sure good looks do carry a competitive advantage, although I suppose presenting the information in an easy to understand format is far more important. Back when Jeri Ellsworth was making videos, her looks were a very significant part of her fame.

It seems like there's a certain sense of sadness when a beautiful woman in technology goes largely out of view of the general public. The first example I know was a friend of mine who started in HVAC service, to learn about the "real world" side of HVAC. (I think of her as a little like Rinoa Super-Genius - strong and hardworking.) She had a very easy time selling preventative maintenance and I'm sure her combination of good looks and good skills were the reason why. Then she became a firmware engineer at a HVAC manufacturer, mostly never to be seen again by the users of the products she works on.

The second example was that anonymous former Bitcoiner. She "Bitcoined" (some mining but mostly "live streaming" for Bitcoins - something better done with Ethereum nowadays) to pay for medical school, then graduated and became a doctor. The community felt sad to see her leave, but at least they acknowledged that they should be feeling good that Bitcoin literally played a role in helping people feel better.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2018, 03:03:49 am »

Then there is Nancy
https://mathbff.com/

Or Professor Kim:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmK1EnKxphikZ4mmCz2NccSnHZb7v1wV-

Either way, the put on a good show and are easy to watch.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, ez24

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2018, 03:19:13 am »
I'm sure good looks do carry a competitive advantage, although I suppose presenting the information in an easy to understand format is far more important. Back when Jeri Ellsworth was making videos, her looks were a very significant part of her fame.

Being female and having looks does make for a competitive advantage in terms of media exposure.
For example, Jeri would never have gotten those articles written about her if she wasn't a compelling "story" to the media. Never would have happened to a fat nerdy male MIT graduate who did the exact same stuff, as there is no "story" there.
But Jeri's success was in large part to her fairly unique content.

Similar thing with Limor Freid and her pink hair and piercings, it creates a compelling media narrative.
Taking nothing away from either of course in their ability and success and hard work etc. But there is an advantage in having a compelling story, that's just the way the media works.
Namomi has (had?) that too, although not nearly as remotely talented as Jeri & Limor, she's pretty much relying on her extreme looks and uniqueness. And hey, there is a market for that too, but it's not the same market as most technical people on here are into.

But when it comes to success on Youtube it's a brutal and fairly level playing field, and being female and having looks often accounts for very little. You are selling your content to the individual in a crowded market, not to a magazine that wants a nice juicy front cover photo and story.
Naomi does go the extreme though, so that's a market right there as she has found. Shame she has seemingly tossed it all away.

It seems like there's a certain sense of sadness when a beautiful woman in technology goes largely out of view of the general public.

Whats beauty got to do with it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:33:26 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2018, 03:28:01 am »
Then there is Nancy

From the Youtube About page
Nancy is on a new channel, NancyPi! New videos with Nancy will be at: https://youtube.com/NancyPi Follow: http://instagram.com/mathbff http://facebook.com/mathbff http://twitter.com/mathbff
And more new mathbff videos with Janel are on the way. Subscribe to mathbff to keep up on new videos!

Looks like it was a co-hosted channel and they had a spat. Way too common.
I only have to argue with myself  ;D

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:31 am »
Then there is Nancy

Or Professor Kim:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmK1EnKxphikZ4mmCz2NccSnHZb7v1wV-

Either way, the put on a good show and are easy to watch.
Professor Kim reminds me of the TA in my power electronics class, who was also one of the judges of senior design one semester. I remember the time when one of my friends built a model airplane for her project (that flies very well despite its messy construction - the joke "snakes on a model's plane" comes to mind) and my TA looked very surprised to find that the motor drive (made from scratch with a dsPIC controller) was sensorless!

Are there any videos about FPGAs and/or Verilog programming presented by a model? Preferably one worthy of 4K upscaling? :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2018, 03:35:04 am »
Are there any videos about FPGAs and/or Verilog programming presented by a model? Preferably one worthy of 4K upscaling? :)

Why the hell are you so obsessed with models producing content?
Just cut out a playboy centerfold and stick it on the side of your monitor while you watch normal content.

I for one am obsessed with content producers, and I don't care if you who you are or what you look like. Just make good content.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:38:18 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Dubbie, Cubdriver, Mr. Scram

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2018, 03:39:22 am »

I've come across many weird and wonderful fetishes in my time. This one's new. No offence, but it seems only a short way from sending $10 so you can tell the lady in the live show where to apply the flux.  :P

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2018, 03:45:52 am »
I've come across many weird and wonderful fetishes in my time. This one's new. No offence, but it seems only a short way from sending $10 so you can tell the lady in the live show where to apply the flux.  :P

You're wrong and mistakenly on the the fetish type, the big problem here is spamming his net girls fantasy at males audiences across the world with full own private info disclosed, go figure.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:17:09 am by BravoV »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2018, 03:48:25 am »

Why the hell are you so obsessed with models producing content?
Just cut out a playboy centerfold and stick it on the side of your monitor while you watch normal content.

I for one am obsessed with content producers, and I don't care if you who you are or what you look like. Just make good content.

He can't focus without unnaturally smooth skin and a massive pair of fake tits upscaled onto his TV. There must be jiggling.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2018, 03:54:53 am »
IEEE at Texas A&M (when I went there) had three "models" to "promote" the events. They are EE students so they're actually knowledgeable about the subject.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:18 am »
... one of my friends built a model airplane for her project ...

Just wondering, Mike: do you have any male friends? Can't recall seeing you refer to one as 'he' or 'his'.  Maybe blokes just fly under your radar?

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2018, 05:58:34 am »
He can't focus without unnaturally smooth skin and a massive pair of fake tits upscaled onto his TV. There must be jiggling.
Actually, "worthy of 4K upscaling" is more about the lack of flaws that would be worsened at higher resolution. I remember some article a long time ago to the effect that Britney Spears didn't want to be filmed in 1080p because that would make the flaws stand out. Interesting note: I once played around with the shaders in mpv and found that if I apply a LPF on a Britney Spears video, she looks better but the rest of the video looks "wrong", spoiling the effect. I have a smartphone that does some DSP trickery to make people look better without messing up the whole picture. And I have played with a prototype smartphone that tries to "grade" how beautiful someone is, but doesn't do well at it...

As far as "large breasts" goes, I understand it's something often desired because it's "cool" and a lot of models have them. But at the same time, that's a disadvantage when working in tight spaces. I remember Rinoa Super-Genius saying that she is thankful she *doesn't* have large breasts because they would get in the way. On the other end, Naomi has said something about how proud she is of her insane chest-to-waist ratio. It's all down to personal preference.
Just wondering, Mike: do you have any male friends? Can't recall seeing you refer to one as 'he' or 'his'.  Maybe blokes just fly under your radar?
They are more common, so more difficult for them to do something noteworthy because of competition. A little bit like how 1TH/s is a tiny hashrate for Bitcoin, but very large for Realbucks.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:12 am »
Ok, I think this is just turning into a NiHaoMike troll-fest now. Thread locked.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, digsys, jancumps, Shock, bitwelder, TopLoser, Zucca, BradC, Cubdriver, Jacon, Mr. Scram, BillB, DJbarro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf