Author Topic: I kid you not. I found this attached to a jiffy bag ...  (Read 52766 times)

Offline sj_bradleyTopic starter

I kid you not. I found this attached to a jiffy bag ...
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:31 am »
I found this attached to a jiffy bag.
Looks like China are watching EEVBLOG. :)

Simon.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: I kid you not. I found this attached to a jiffy bag ...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:42:26 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Of course they are watching, why wouldn't they be?
We are helping them out, didn't you know.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:14 am »
I wonder if that seller was born at the same time a doorbell went off?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:37 am »
Google reveals that there is a real Wan Hong Lu neighborhood and street name in a suburb of Kunming, in the Yunnan province in the south of China.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:03 am »
I love a good joke(I've told a few off color ones in my time), but this one has run it's course.  It's getting long in the tooth, and borderline racist. When ever Dave says it I cringe a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the "Political correctness" bunch.  And you should be free to say what you want.  But, if the part was from africa, would we be making watermellon jokes?  I think not.

Now the British, and French, those guys are fair game.     :-DD

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:04:36 am »
You know "Bradley" sounds like "small penis" in Chinese, right? They probably had a good laugh at your name too.

Really?!
Does "Sean" sound like anything?
Might be worth a smile, thought idiot is highly likely!

:D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:09 am »
I love a good joke(I've told a few off color ones in my time), but this one has run it's course.  It's getting long in the tooth, and borderline racist. When ever Dave says it I cringe a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the "Political correctness" bunch.  And you should be free to say what you want.  But, if the part was from africa, would we be making watermellon jokes?  I think not.

What about Aussies George?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:24:54 am »
How do you know an Aussie is on the level?
He drools out of both sides of the mouth at the same time.
PS my country flag is correct!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 10:25:27 am »
I would not have posted this had I not recently joined the EEVBLOG bunch and it would have been binned without seeing the humour in it.

Now that I've seen the EEVblog, I have listed this as one of my favourite sites to visit on You tube.

Still, to find that on the bag made me smile when there is so little in this world to smile about. :)

Simon.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:10 am »

You think that watermelon jokes fit Africa?  :palm:

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:24 am »
I agree with George on this, it is more than past it's use by date, and starting to sound a bit B Manning.

The fact that Mojo has spoken out against it was enough for me, even setting aside personal lines drawn, if someone is genuinely offended, I have no wish to hurt them.

My earlier post was to draw out that our culture is probably hilarious from other perspectives, but the was too ambiguous.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:59 am »

The last thing we need is for our new set of American values to be infecting the rest of the world.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:38 am »
You think that watermelon jokes fit Africa? 

Read between the lines.  :palm:  I bet you good money I know more about perils in Africa then you do.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:07:40 am by george graves »

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 11:33:58 am »
Wow, this has raised a few comments :)

Now, until a couple of years ago, I used to smile every time I drove into Conisborough when I passed the turn into (what is now known as) Archers Way.

It's original road name?

Butthole Lane.

So you could have lived in the address
1 Butthole lane
Conisborough. :)

I believe the resisdents managed to change the road name when too many coachloads of people used to visit just to see that name !

It's not the first time that street names have been changed in the UK and it probably won't be the last. :)

Thanks,
Simon.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 11:57:33 am »

In the US, there's a stereotype that blacks eat a lot of watermelon.  Honestly, I can't really tell you why this is some sort of negative stereotype.  Yeah, there are negative stereotypes of every race and group out there, but what the hell is wrong with eating watermelon?  It's not even true, BTW...someone actually did a study, believe it or not, and blacks eat LESS watermelon than the rest of the population.  I can't believe someone wasted time and money studying that, but whatever.

But we're a whacky, screwed up, oversensitive bunch of chronic offendees down here, so 150 years ago or so, someone found something wrong with it.  Seriously, sometimes I wonder if there's some group of people that stays up nights and makes up crap like this, just to make sure none of us ever get along with each other.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:07:29 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:00 pm »
It's the describing a race by stereotype that is the problem!
A race is a people, and all people are different even within a race.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »

In the US, there's a stereotype that blacks eat a lot of watermelon.  Honestly, I can't really tell you why this is some sort of negative stereotype.  Yeah, there are negative stereotypes of every race and group out there, but what the hell is wrong with eating watermelon?  It's not even true, BTW...someone actually did a study, believe it or not, and blacks eat LESS watermelon than the rest of the population.  I can't believe someone wasted time and money studying that, but whatever.

But we're a whacky, screwed up, oversensitive bunch of chronic offendees down here, so 150 years ago or so, someone found something wrong with it.  Seriously, sometimes I wonder if there's some group of people that stays up nights and makes up crap like this, just to make sure none of us ever get along with each other.

Yes but isn't that more typical of African americans, the "gangsta" type? Massive difference lol

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
I kid you not. I found this attached to a jiffy bag ...
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 12:10:01 pm »
I'll just leave this here...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM

"Ethnic jokes might be uncouth, but you laugh because they're based on truths; so don't take them as personal attacks, everyone enjoys them, so relax!
If we could all just admit, everyone's racist, a little bit, and stop being so PC, maybe we could live in harmony... Everyone's a rittle bit lacist!"

Sent from my Smartphone
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:23:48 pm by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 12:13:30 pm »

Simon.

That's a real street name in Beijing: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wan+Hong+Lu,+Chaoyang+Qu,+Beijing+Shi,+China/@39.980246,116.4975103,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x35f1abcccf562c43:0xcea52911ad9cb87b
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 12:15:46 pm »
It's the describing a race by stereotype that is the problem!
A race is a people, and all people are different even within a race.

There's only one extant race of humans, homo sapiens sapiens. As much as you're well meaning pretending ethnicities are races is one of the things that causes the problems you're against.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »

Yes but isn't that more typical of African americans, the "gangsta" type? Massive difference lol

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  You asked about a stereotype that I'm assuming isn't prevalent in Canada, and I was just trying to explain it.  Honestly, I don't worry about it too much because people who believe in stuff like this are too stupid to ever change their minds anyhow.

Anyhow, you know how the Chinese can get us to stop making fun of them?  Stop making crappy, dangerous products.  You rarely see chronic garbage from any other part of the world, or at least not the same level of utter bottom of the barrel, scraped off the bottom of your shoe, crap.  Chinese manufacturing is more than capable of world class, high quality products, and they DO produce such things, but a huge amount of it is just absolute junk.  What, we're not allowed to make fun of that, now?  Come on.

The idea that we can't make fun of crappy Chinese manufacturing because it's "racist" is just kind of ridiculous, IMHO.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:25:10 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 12:20:40 pm »
I find this whole discussion amusing in two aspects:

1) people eager to show off their ignorance by laughing at something they don't understand;

2) others too worried about the potential to offend anyone.

================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 12:31:52 pm »

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  You asked about a stereotype that I'm assuming isn't prevalent in Canada, and I was just trying to explain it.  Honestly, I don't worry about it too much because people who believe in stuff like this are too stupid to ever change their minds anyhow.

Anyhow, you know how the Chinese can get us to stop making fun of them?  Stop making crappy, dangerous products.  You rarely see chronic garbage from any other part of the world, or at least not the same level of utter bottom of the barrel, scraped off the bottom of your shoe, crap.  Chinese manufacturing is more than capable of world class, high quality products, and they DO produce such things, but a huge amount of it is just absolute junk.  What, we're not allowed to make fun of that, now?  Come on.

The idea that we can't make fun of crappy Chinese manufacturing because it's "racist" is just kind of ridiculous, IMHO.

It's known just as well here in Canada, but applying that stereotype to people in Africa doesn't fit at all with what I have seen of that stereotype.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 12:38:06 pm »
I find this whole discussion amusing in two aspects:

1) people eager to show off their ignorance by laughing at something they don't understand;

2) others too worried about the potential to offend anyone.
+1 ... +100

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »
It's known just as well here in Canada, but applying that stereotype to people in Africa doesn't fit at all with what I have seen of that stereotype.

Ha ha...well that's another stereotype I guess.  I'm not out to condemn American education, because I think it's generally pretty good, but we're kind of stupid when it comes to understanding the rest of the world.  I'd bet money that 90%of our population under 50 couldn't find Libya on a map.  Honestly, I'd bet money that 90% of our population couldn't even find Montana on a map.  Most of our map makers can't even get our maps right.  How many times have you seen a map where the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has been annexed by Wisconsin or Ontario?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:46:02 pm by John Coloccia »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf