Author Topic: I quit my EE studying in university.. can I still work in electronics ?  (Read 15164 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
I don't think so. All you have to do to get a degree is to do the tests, past the exams and graduate. It's not a very high bar to get over.

If you prefer self study to taught learning that's fine, you can still pass the exams, right? Nobody tells you how you have to learn, they just tell you what you have to learn. If you can't learn what you need to learn you are not qualified, and therefore how can you get a job that needs that knowledge?

This is not rocket science.
This reply doesn't seem related to the discussion that was ongoing when I made the comment. That discussion was about what was paid exactly to whom and while somewhat relevant, it's not the main focus of the thread. Going off on a tangent won't help OP too much.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
But seriously, there are two things you have to do to graduate with a degree:
  • Complete assignments and hand them in on time.
  • Learn the material and pass the tests.
Surprise, surprise, these are exactly the things you have to do to survive in the workplace.

Completing assignments on time is expected. And passing the tests means you have to deliver stuff that works.

If you can't do these things, how can you justify being employed?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
That discussion was about what was paid exactly to whom and while somewhat relevant, it's not the main focus of the thread. Going off on a tangent won't help OP too much.

I know. But there's a reason why some people can command higher salaries than others, and it is not "the system" or "innate bias" that is the underlying cause.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
TO    Guy in Israel with Green Card.
FR.    Ghost of Christmas Past, PhD In Hard Knocks, School of Life ;  Masters in Poverty, School of Fast Food Operations ; Lifelong Student...

Sub:  $hitty Piece of Paper

Before you come over here, go see the Registrar at the supposed $hitty School with the $hitty methods,  Pay for and bring at least four (Make that ten!)  OFFICIAL sealed and authorized copies  of your transcript.  Must be sealed in a envelope. Bring a few official copies that are unsealed for imigration etc..  You will be proving the authenticity of,  and loosing, those copies to a variety of businesses, and I'm betting, a school or two.  Sealed transcripts are requested but never returned,  for applying to good jobs. For the rest of your Life...

Same goes for medical records, school records, military service records.

I'd mutter something about putting an attorney at law  on retainer in your old country to help you get paperwork after you leave, but what the heck, fly home often for a mere piece of paper.

BTW, One path to education here while young,  is to serve in our military, which hastens Citizenship. It will be one of your few options if dreamy plans fail. We simply do not have Israel's super strong tech economy, where "walk-ins" are welcome.  The few regions of our nation where a "walk-in" techie with no diploma would have a chance, have some of highest costs of living in the world.. (LA, San Fran, Ny, Boston)

Ghost Sends...     PS If your not familar with the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, well there is Youtube...
I'm trying to help you. You'll need the docs to prove you have  math skills to any potential employer. Also for getting a bank loan for whatever venture you choose. (If your spouse cosigns) Your credit hours  from a recognized school in the State of Israel will be considered valid after a lengthy verification / evaluation process by American Colleges. We as nation are quite good at accepting a partial education from anywhere in the world. Your GPA will likely be reset to zero by your first new school by tradition.

Steve 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:37:55 am by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC

The following users thanked this post: Louai

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Re: I quit my EE studying in university.. can I still work in electronics ?
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2018, 05:42:55 pm »
I have three regrets in life. Two involve not spending more time with relatives before they died and the third is not getting my college degree. Now I have two disabilities and live an "alternative lifestyle" that I can't hide and under close scrutiny sometimes people can tell I'm XY not XX and there is discrimination.

This would have been so easy to do when I was 20. Most of my family had their BS by the time they were 20. They are now in the top 1% and will never have to worry about money or their kids worry for that matter. I thought I knew better then everyone else just because I made way more money then your average 20 yr old but that's not shit now that I'm in my 30's. Try going to school when you can't drive or walk for more then 30 minutes at a time or have bi weekly doctor appointments. But still I'm doing it I have no choice having medical conditions and needing a bit of plastic surgery on my body is expensive. I used my bitcoin money for a lot of it but 2017 is over.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf