Author Topic: I think I am weird  (Read 8751 times)

Offline DeathwishTopic starter

• Supporter
I think I am weird
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:06:09 am »
I can read a book, and never remember the contents days later. I can watch a film and remember the plot, scenes and everything forever !.

Probably why it took me ages to figure out the basics of the pn junction and transistors way back.

Is that normal ?.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
Re: I think I am weird
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:30 am »
I can pick up a book years later and start from the paragraph I left at, but I forget what I had for breakfast or if I remembered to put on underwear or not.

I'm 32 for context...

Edit: You may be weird, you may not be. Do you really care?
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:09 am »
I do care because I do not like to think I am abnormal to my fellow man. The sods would try locking me up in a white jacket with straps and I dont like strap marks  |O
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:18 am »
If it wasn't for abnormal we wouldn't have our "leaders, thinkers, poets, dreamers, blessed lunatics."

;)
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:12:01 am »
There is no such a thing as Normal, we are all way different even if we are all way the same.

As Keith Code (motorcycle trainer) mentions on his books. You only have one dollar to spend it's up to you to balance how many pennies you put on different aspects of riding but you can't go past 100 pennies or you'll make unanticipated mistakes. Or something like that.

But I just looked him up and I guess his website is gone and he is a Scientology member/follower or whatever they call themselves, which is a bit unexpected so I have to go to bed and get in the fetal position for the rest of the day.

But how you balance your dollar worth of attention span consistently is an art, that much I found true for life in general, not just superbike racing.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:48:28 am »
I wouldn't worry about being weird. The trouble starts when you try to be normal. No-one really knows just what normal is.

If you really want to keeps yourself up nights, try worrying about being narcolepticZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

WILFRED, WAKEUP!!

Somehow you fell asleep with your nose resting on the 'z' key :)

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 01:58:47 am »
Dont get me going about falling asleep, I would try counting sheep, but have you seen where I live, the miserable sods would start putting it about I was kinky about sheep  :scared:

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 02:00:12 am »
People learn in various ways.  Some learn by reading.  Some by hearing.  Some by doing.  Some by seeing.  If you're lucky you can learn by more than one method.

Try to force someone to learn in a way that's wrong for them and they will fail everytime.  The fault isn't with the student.  The fault is with the teacher who doesn't understand that everyone is different.

It's normal to be different.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 04:00:32 am »
You may actually be paranoid. You seem to think miserable sods are out to get you.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 05:31:07 am »
You are weird. You read books, you watch movies, and you have about 400 posts in an electronics forum. And then you think about these things. Most of the population doesn't do any of these...

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 05:41:26 am »
Maybe the book was a virgin note pad?
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 06:25:06 am »
You may actually be paranoid. You seem to think miserable sods are out to get you.

Coming from someone who lives in a country that employ the CIA ..... enough said ?. :-DD :-DD :-DD

You are weird. You read books, you watch movies, and you have about 400 posts in an electronics forum. And then you think about these things. Most of the population doesn't do any of these...

It isn't the posts made that you need to worry about, it is the unasked ones that I am afraid of.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:27:49 am by Deathwish »

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:09 am »
I can remember serial numbers of hardware I've repaired, procedures and parameters for testing, programming, tuning, etc, and obscure details of jobs I've done months or years ago, but cannot remember people's names whether they are people I meet in real life, characters in books or movies.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:20:33 am »
I can remember and visualise an electronics magazine article from 35 years ago, but I can't remember a circuit I drew last week.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:49 am »
I can remember serial numbers of hardware I've repaired, procedures and parameters for testing, programming, tuning, etc, and obscure details of jobs I've done months or years ago, but cannot remember people's names whether they are people I meet in real life, characters in books or movies.

I have severe problems remembering names unless I meet the person several times (6-10). I remember them better if chatting over text.

I also have anxiety and insomn issues.

I also have problems about not being socially very awkward, even doing weird jokes that may be too weird or twisted. I also may get annoying in social contexts and doing physical jokes, so I try to avoid doing it (but sometimes I act impulsively).

I have severe problems dressing adequately. I consider it a terribly boring and stressing procedure I want to get rid of it ASAP, I'm still unable to be able to find clothes fastly and combine them correctly. I would prefer to be nude or wear an always clean and temperature comfortable uniform like in some scifi novels/movies.

I'm somewhat time blind and having severe problems organizing my daily tasks.

I was good at maths in adolescence,  but not anymore .I'm a "bad student" too, Active Learning makes me learn very fast, but formal education is more into memory and instruction than deep understanding and thinking. I'm going to improve my maths and physics skills, of course.

And I have ADHD

And I care too much about my issues! And that makes my anxiety to rise most of the time.

You are weird. You have curiosity. You try to know yourself better. You want to improve yourself.

Are you pursuing the fallacy of stupid happiness? Get some brain damage to lower your IQ and get some easy life. Despite of that, you might be unhappy too!

Take care yourself, get emancipated, don't let others fuck about your self image. Be moderately defiant, choose your own path and have very clear goals.

- Eat well: Avoid any kind of sugars (that includes any kind of processed cereals, even bread!) and that shit known as artificial sweetener, get them from raw fruits. Get a moderate amount of saturated fats, forbid trans fats (they are proved to fuck your memory!). Get a dinner high in proteins. I found a higher protein diet makes me feel better, but I have hypothyroidism (despite I have prescribed an hormonal substitute, it's not perfect).
- Sleep well. Be relaxed hours before sleeping, avoid any kind of stimulating activity such as computers, smartphones, TV. You can read or listen relaxing music. Avoid any kind of light source or your circadian rhythm abnormalities could get worse.

- Do enough exercise to improve your metabolism and relax. That makes you smarter and in better mood. I have problems following this, but I'm trying to improve that. Avoid intensive exercise hours before sleeping. I do martial arts and plan to do aerobic exercises too.

About self-steem, that double edged sword:

- I like the Buddhist concept about not rely on it, but it's very difficult to put in practice and most of those that are proud of achieve it are just arrogant posers that want to be some kind of deity to others (lamas and other kind of spiritual/science/thinking leaders).
- Believe in yourself, don't let others unmotivate you even if others consider you stubborn or even worse. Reduce your dependence on getting support from others all time, because we are all individuals and are really metaphorically alone most of the time. Be your own leader!
- Be critic with yourself, but avoid negativism. Negativism is a mischievous bastard that appears very easily, it's part of yourself and your worst enemy (I know it very good!).

Do things! It's better do something stupid than being a zombie!

I'm fucking impulsive, so I have severe problems following it. But I'm at it and never going to give up!

Are you weird? Be proud of it! Weird people are those that change the world! And remember geniuses are weird, even in electronics!

Offline Bob F.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 09:49:58 am »
I'm perfectly normal - it's just everyone else who are as mad as a box of cats...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:35 am »
I can read a book, and never remember the contents days later. I can watch a film and remember the plot, scenes and everything forever !.

I'm the opposite, that's why I completely ignore video blogs unless there is text indicating why it would be directly relevant to me.

Besides, I can scan a 2000 word article in 10s (and decide to read/ignore it), but it takes 30mins to scan a video with the same number of words. My remaining life is limited, and nowadays there are too many things to look at.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 02:50:29 pm »

Especially with hollywood movies, I can remember everything without having seen the new movie...

For the rest it depends: some formulas, expressions, drawings, songs, numbers,... I will never forget even without using them.
Other things are forgotten the next day.

The only thing (till now) I never forget is the list itself. The things I once-knew.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »
Especially with hollywood movies, I can remember everything without having seen the new movie...

Excellent :)

I first watched Men In Black on an airplane without any headphones. I understood it perfectly :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »
I first watched Men In Black on an airplane without any headphones. I understood it perfectly :)

:-)

I preferred the book :-)
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »
Dont get me going about falling asleep, I would try counting sheep, but have you seen where I live, the miserable sods would start putting it about I was kinky about sheep  :scared:

now if you were in South Africa, and had those thoughts about goats you would "feature" in The Daily sun. seems every week there is a story about a man either caught with a goat, or who wants to marry her. Owner of the goat wanted a bride price because he said the goat had been "devalued" by the act, and nobody would want to buy a used goat.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 10:52:30 pm »

now if you were in South Africa, and had those thoughts about goats you would "feature" in The Daily sun. seems every week there is a story about a man either caught with a goat, or who wants to marry her. Owner of the goat wanted a bride price because he said the goat had been "devalued" by the act, and nobody would want to buy a used goat.

What's so wrong with women in South Africa?

Offline abdullahseba

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 06:16:17 am »
LOL :-DD
This is my right hand this is my wrong hand

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:34 am »

I'm the opposite, that's why I completely ignore video blogs unless there is text indicating why it would be directly relevant to me.

Besides, I can scan a 2000 word article in 10s (and decide to read/ignore it), but it takes 30mins to scan a video with the same number of words. My remaining life is limited, and nowadays there are too many things to look at.

Yeah,I find myself thinking"Come on,hurry up & get to the point!"

The worst videos on Youtube are the ones where there is no narration & the person inserts various signals into an Oscilloscope with no clue given as to what he is looking at.
Some of these are by the "scope manufacturer,too!! ;D

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
memory is funny, in humans.  and ways to 'burn' the data into your brain also varies a lot, person to person.

I recently attended a course (python, fwiw) where the instructor actually cared about the students retaining the classroom material.  he used many edu techniques to burn the info into us.  he had us vocally repeat things, manually write them down on paper (sometimes on our laptops), and ask/answer questions in class even if we knew we had the wrong answer.  in fact, his view was that the student who raises his hand to offer the wrong answer, will, once its explained by the teacher, remember it better than the others since he was -active- in the process.  that's really the key.  and sure enough, by doing all his little tricks, I did end up retaining a lot more of the class.  (raymond hettinger is the instructor; he's a super guy and if you ever get the chance to attend a lecture or class of his, DO IT.  most amazing edu experience I ever had, college included).

try doing something active to burn the info in.  write it, verbally repeat what you read.  get motor muscle-memory involved; once you type things over and over, it gets burned in.  (he had us data-enter a lot of code so that we would get used to being 'automatic' in generating programs).

I also learned that the best way to learn a subject is to have to teach it!  when I took an instructor job, many years ago, I had to learn material well enough to do a 5 day lecture/lab course for 20+ students.  nothing forces you to learn a subject like the stress of having to PRESENT it to strangers ;)  if I knew that secret, I would have gotton all A's in school..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf