Author Topic: I think the stress has been getting to Dave  (Read 13819 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I think the stress has been getting to Dave
« on: January 25, 2016, 02:50:14 pm »

Must be one of those new fangled metric pints.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: I think the stress has been getting to Dave
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:04:43 pm »
Excepting that he doesn't look quite like Dave and is a little too douchey looking, and that Dave's a tea-totaler (as I recall?)...  >:D

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »
Dave's a tea-totaler (as I recall?)...

He was, but as Stonent says he's been under a lot of stress, what with the PICKit 3 problems and the Batteriser folks flinging D cells at his solar panels.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »
Yes I know that's what I thought made it look more funny.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »
Something tells me if Dave fell off the wagon we would know.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:07:25 am »
It was mainly the hair that caught my attention.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
The guy in the picture does look a bit like Dave, although younger.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »
Same hair line...

Offline bitshift

• Regular Contributor
  • Too much to learn, too little time
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:20:36 pm »
Batteriser folks flinging D cells at his solar panels.

:-DD

Guy in the picture is definitely more douchy looking than Dave though.
"It’s all fun and games until an innocent opamp gets hurt!" - Dave Jones

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:39 am »
Same hair line...

Must have been before you had your more manly nose installed.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:05 am »
Hey Dave, I know this is a bit of a personal question, but have you really *never* drank *any* Alcohol at all in your life? Not a drop? Not a sip of beer? A smidgen of liquor? Nothing? I mean, I've even gotten my Mormon friend to taste beer (he's still never had tea though, ever, which is sad to be honest).

You're obviously not Mormon or religious, so it can't be for those reasons. If you've never had any, you can't be an alcoholic. Unless Alcoholism runs in your family and you're just being smart, in which case mad props as that's quite a commitment.

Personally, I could do without the effects of the alcohol, I just really like the taste. Though, the alcohol itself adds to the taste, so you can't do without it. (Nearbeer isn't even close to being the same.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:52 am »
Hey Dave, I know this is a bit of a personal question, but have you really *never* drank *any* Alcohol at all in your life? Not a drop? Not a sip of beer? A smidgen of liquor? Nothing? I mean, I've even gotten my Mormon friend to taste beer (he's still never had tea though, ever, which is sad to be honest).

You're obviously not Mormon or religious, so it can't be for those reasons. If you've never had any, you can't be an alcoholic. Unless Alcoholism runs in your family and you're just being smart, in which case mad props as that's quite a commitment.

Personally, I could do without the effects of the alcohol, I just really like the taste. Though, the alcohol itself adds to the taste, so you can't do without it. (Nearbeer isn't even close to being the same.)

I know Dave doesn't drink coffee either, and maybe not tea, but not sure on that one.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 01:52:09 am »
Same hair line...

;D
Actually, many people think I'm losing my hair with the receding hairline. Nothing of the sort, it's just a deep hairline, same as my father had.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:54 am »
Same hair line...

;D
Actually, many people think I'm losing my hair with the receding hairline. Nothing of the sort, it's just a deep hairline, same as my father had.

It's not like you've got 5-ish years of video documentation of your hairline.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 01:58:23 am »

I said I don't drink alcohol, not that I've never drank it in my life.
There is photo of me drinking a beer after the tough mudder somewhere.

Alcohol is an acquired taste I never acquired, simple as that. It tastes awful, that's why I don't drink it.
I find it strange that many people find that unusual.
Never been drunk in my life even after downing a dozen drinks on my bucks night.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:02:46 am »
I know Dave doesn't drink coffee either, and maybe not tea, but not sure on that one.

Correct.
Coffee is another acquired taste I never acquired.
Tea, drinking warm flavoured water, meh.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 02:11:24 am »

Alcohol is an acquired taste I never acquired, simple as that. It tastes awful, that's why I don't drink it.
Never been drunk in my life even after downing a dozen drinks on my bucks night.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense then. I don't find it unusual you don't like the taste, I was just under the impression you had never had any, which *is* unusual.

Personally, I've never bought the "acquired taste" argument. People that have an "acquired taste" are people that don't like the taste of alcohol but like the effects. (These are the people that drink sweet and/or fruity drinks in bars; Cosmos and White Russians, etc.)

You don't like the taste and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 02:15:29 am »

Correct.
Coffee is another acquired taste I never acquired.
Tea, drinking warm flavoured water, meh.

What about iced tea?

Soda is just flavored sweetened water. In fact, all non-dairy based beverages are just flavor and water.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:22 am »

Yeah my wife can't stand the taste of alcohol or coffee. I once stirred a mug of cocoa for her using the same spoon I used for my coffee and she immediately tasted it and recoiled.
I've tried all the "can't taste the alcohol" drinks on her, and she has the same disgusted face on them all.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:27 am »
 Oh that's too bad on the coffee spoon in the cocoa thing - I love the mix. At one of my jobs they had instant cocoa packets as well as coffee available - I used to make a packet of cocoa with hot coffee instead of hot water. These days though I have to avoid all sugary drinks so it's just water and unsweetened iced tea for me (those people in the southern US can keep that oversaturated with sugar sweet tea stuff for themselves).
 I dunno about the 'acquired taste' argument. Perhaps. I think I have acquired a taste for certain things but maybe that isn't true - I don't go for the overly fruity or sweet drinks. I can't stand American pisswater beer. Not that I drink regularly any more - I mostly got that out of my system in college. There we drank for the effect - we couldn't afford the good stuff anyway. Once out in the real world, I was lucky to have 1 or 2 on a weekend. I had a whopping 2 beers tonight - one of my coworkers is leaving to take another job so we had a sendoff for him. And that's more beer than I've had in the past month. I'm at the take it or leave it stage of my life, I don't actively seek it out, but if it's offered I'll have one, if there are any good choices. I have entirely too much on hand, but I can't bring myself to pour it out like Dave did - eventually I will drink it, even if it takes a couple of years, or else guests will help drink it up.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:53 am »
What about iced tea?

Don't like it.

Soda is just flavored sweetened water. In fact, all non-dairy based beverages are just flavor and water.

I don't like warm drinks.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 03:09:00 am »
Okay, that makes a lot more sense then. I don't find it unusual you don't like the taste, I was just under the impression you had never had any, which *is* unusual.

Why you would get that idea I have no idea.

Personally, I've never bought the "acquired taste" argument. People that have an "acquired taste" are people that don't like the taste of alcohol but like the effects. (These are the people that drink sweet and/or fruity drinks in bars; Cosmos and White Russians, etc.)

Many people I know who drink said they didn't like the taste at first, but through peer pressure etc kept drinking it and eventually came to like it. An "acquired taste".
In fact I'm struggling to think of a single person I know who drinks and doesn't like it.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 03:12:38 am »
I've tried all the "can't taste the alcohol" drinks on her, and she has the same disgusted face on them all.

I can quite happily drink the alcoholic drinks that have little or no alcohol taste. But I usually don't for the same reason I don't usually drink soft drinks any more.
If I go to a pub or restaurant and want a drink (and want something other than water) I'll usually order a lemon lime and bitters.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 03:12:54 am »
 Outside of being an actual alcoholic, I don't know why anyone would eat/drink anything they don't like. Alcoholics have been known to down mouthwash and cold medicine just because they contain alcohol - cold medicine especially I find horrible tasting to the point of not wanting to take it even when suffering unless it comes in a pill form. The liquid is just too horrible to contemplate.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 03:16:10 am »
Outside of being an actual alcoholic, I don't know why anyone would eat/drink anything they don't like.

Exactly. And usually when I tell people I don't like the taste of alcohol, coffee, or tea, and that's why I don't drink it, they look at as if I'm some kind of freak  :-//
As if I can't really mean that, and there has to be some other reason like timb assumed.
Of course they'll usually just say "you obviously haven't tried the right ones, just try this one, it's really good, you'll like it" - no, odds are I damn well won't!
The best alcoholic taste I've ever had is simply "tolerable". i.e. I could probably finish the glass just to be social, or I'm dying of thirst and it's better than nothing. Not once have I ever tasted one that would make me want to crave it again, not once. And yes, I've tried a fair amount at the usual social gatherings, not just once.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:20:17 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf