Author Topic: I tried a Mac for video editing...  (Read 172555 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: I tried a Mac for video editing...
« Reply #400 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
Have you updated all your drivers from the asus support page ?
You could also try updating the bios,  you are on 1201 from the vid and the lastest version is 1801.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support_Download

Thanks. Updating now.
The auto update didn't work.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #401 on: April 26, 2013, 03:58:38 pm »
I think I have a solution!
XDCAM output at 35Mbps in Sony Movie Studio works great and is about twice the speed of real time (GPU option seems to slow it down actually).
And handbrake handles the file great.
Need to do more testing tomorrow.

Offline Hobgoblin612

• Contributor
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #402 on: April 26, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
There are reports that Handbrake will soon support quick sync, so when it does you'll be set.
ooooohh... what does this button do???

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #403 on: April 26, 2013, 05:15:21 pm »
Dave,

I noticed at your latest video you're using the normal Handbrake version, maybe you should try the Hardware Acceleration version.

Fyi, its not final version and there are few warnings mentioned -> Here.

For Windows x64, download the latest -> Here

There are two extra options for hardware decoding support that is not available at normal released version.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:21:03 pm by BravoV »

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #404 on: April 26, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
Sigh.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #405 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:16 am »
I noticed at your latest video you're using the normal Handbrake version, maybe you should try the Hardware Acceleration version.
Fyi, its not final version and there are few warnings mentioned -> Here.

Yes, the reason I have not tried is because it's not a stable release. I don't want to have to watch through my entire video to make sure it has no issues.
Also, it only accelerates the pan/crop which I don't do, and the decoding, not the encoding.
But I will try it and see what happens.

Offline bxs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #406 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:56 am »
There are reports that Handbrake will soon support quick sync, so when it does you'll be set.

Not really, if what Dave want is quality, he can't use quick sync, the quality is simple too bad.
Even with the 2º gen of QSV set for quality, it's still a joke in quality terms.

With the Dave's i7, if x264 is set to produce the same quality of QSV, it will be faster than QSV and even produce a smaller encoded file.

QSV is good if you:
- don't want quality
- you want to save electricity
- have a weak CPU and want speed even knowing that output will be a poor
- when you need to encoded for example a stream and cant use the CPU, for example when you are playing a game and are streaming it at the same time.

So, if you have a good CPU, run from QSV  ;)

Dave,

Probably will make no difference, it only accelerate things like resize of the video; if you are only transcoding without applying transformations it will not help anything.

Ok it also accelerate the decode of the video with the help of video card, but for what I read, for systems with good CPUs it can make the process even slower...
The thing is that sometimes the video card cant decode the video fast enough to keep feeding the CPU  :-DD , of course, the faster the CPU the worst.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #407 on: April 27, 2013, 03:15:16 am »
Ok, a test on my latest dumpster dive video using XDCAM codec 30Mbps full HD VBR on MovieStudio.
8:19 to render my 16:50 video, so that's double real time.
GPU acceleration switched off in Sony, and the codec doesn't have the option anyway.
3.4GB file size

Handbrake did the transcoding in 7:40
110W during that time.

Greater than real-time for my entire workflow. That's a huge increase over my old machine.
And I can't hear a thing during rendering.
Nice  :-+
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:29:09 am by EEVblog »

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2013, 03:46:22 am »
The latest version of x264 (command line) has added OpenCL support :

http://www.x264.nl

You need OpenCL.dll in the same folder as x264.exe and need to enable OpenCL using --opencl flag.

OpenCL lookahead
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi?p=x264.git;a=commit;h=3a5f6c0aeacfcb21e7853ab4879f23ec8ae5e042

OpenCL support is compiled in by default, but must be enabled at runtime by an --opencl command line flag.

When enabled, the lookahead thread is mostly off-loaded to an OpenCL capable GPU device.  Lowres intra cost prediction, lowres motion search (including subpel) and bidir cost predictions are all done on the GPU.  MB-tree and final slice decisions are still done by the CPU.  Presets which do not use a threaded lookahead will not use OpenCL at all (superfast, ultrafast).

Because of data dependencies, the GPU must use an iterative motion search which performs more total work than the CPU would do, so this is not work efficient or power efficient. But if there are spare GPU cycles to spare, it can often speed up the encode. Output quality when OpenCL lookahead is enabled is often very slightly worse in quality than the CPU quality (because of the same data dependencies).

x264 must compile its OpenCL kernels for your device before running them, and in order to avoid doing this every run it caches the compiled kernel binary in a file named x264_lookahead.clbin (--opencl-clbin FNAME to override).  The cache file will be ignored if the device, driver, or OpenCL source are changed.

x264 will use the first GPU device which supports the required cl_image features required by its kernels. Most modern discrete GPUs and all AMD integrated GPUs will work. Intel integrated GPUs (up to IvyBridge) do not support those necessary features. Use --opencl-device N to specify a number of capable GPUs to skip during device detection.

So if you plug that radeon card, you might want to test using MeGUI (when it updates itself to use the new x264) or just straight x264

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:48:49 am by mariush »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #409 on: April 27, 2013, 05:21:10 am »
I enabled XMP in the BIOS which took my DRAM speed up to 1600MHz from 1300MHz, but lowered by boosted clock rate to 3.9GHz, and Sony renders that same video above in 7:50 instead of 8:19

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2013, 05:38:46 am »
Boosted the clock rate to 4.5GHz and started to get errors in Sony and other apps. Dropped back to 4.2GHz and it runs sweet. just over 60degC core temps on all cores according to Core Temp.
Same video test is now 7:12
Same test with GPU acceleration turned on in Sony, was 7:22
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:40:38 am by EEVblog »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2013, 09:01:18 am »
you need to add some extra voltage if you boost up to that clockrate, and btw that board vrm are not meant to be used for overclocking, even with heatsinks attached to other boards some peeps manage to fry the mosfets or the driver chips

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2013, 12:49:28 pm »
Boosted the clock rate to 4.5GHz and started to get errors in Sony and other apps. Dropped back to 4.2GHz and it runs sweet. just over 60degC core temps on all cores according to Core Temp.
Same video test is now 7:12
Same test with GPU acceleration turned on in Sony, was 7:22

Dave, did u ever hit a 30 minute run of OCCT like I suggested to check to see if its stable? Remmber in my case I posted a few pages back, I had my machine up for 5 days with no problems, but when I hit it with OCCT it wasnt actually stable.. U never did figure out what your problem before was, u just worked around it, was it really just a software problem, prob not if that same software versions worked fine on your laptop before hand, and those other two video cards should of worked I would think, so where was tha problem? :) Good to see its starting to workout and your happy with tha results allthou..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:53:16 pm by Toque »

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #413 on: April 27, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
you need to add some extra voltage if you boost up to that clockrate, and btw that board vrm are not meant to be used for overclocking, even with heatsinks attached to other boards some peeps manage to fry the mosfets or the driver chips

Based on tha fact that tha i5-2500 cpu is a 95w part, I would imagine all LGA1155 boards have a vrm design of at least 100w, i7-3770k is a 77w part, should be a little overclocking headroom on all boards, and a 4.6ghz overclock on that cpu would work out right around tha 100w mark i think.. Now, if u start overvolt/current other chips/parts on tha boards u could be in trouble, if tha either tha chips cant handle it, or tha board cant provide tha power your asking for them, a more expensive board would take those things into account.. If u were going for a extreme overclock, more then 4.6ghz, like 5.2+ghz on phase change or something like that, u would then want a highend board forsure ;) I know thats not allways tha case, like tha AMD problem where tha entry level boards didnt have enuf vrm to handle tha high end cpus, but intel runs a little tighter spec and im sure all 1155 boards are 100w or more.. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9931070-7.html

Now my i7-920 overlcock on LGA1366 is a different story, I never had no problems with tha P6T-Deluxe board, and I took tha 130w chip to around 170w.. Im sure some boards where only designed with 150w in mind, and some people fried things, like pads on there chips, when some of tha sockets werent design for more then 150w current draw and/or didnt connect properly to provide more then 130w draw :)

According to this, if doing extreme, it looks like its still possible to fry your chip/socket even on LGA1155 ;) http://www.techpowerup.com/138604/Socket-Pin-Burnout-Returns-to-Haunt-LGA1155-.html?cp=3

I used to keep a REALLY tight ship on hardware, its kinda my thing, but these days I miss all kinds of things, as I dont pay attention to it as much or work with it as much.. However I had x58 then I skipped x79, I am thinking of possibly building a new system when this stuff comes out soon, even thou I dont need it, thinking a 4930 on z99 with dual or triple GTX770 and my first water cooled computer not a loop cooler.. I dont even game much, but I like to have tha latest hardware, not like I even needed to go from a i7-920/GTX570 system to i7-3770k/GTX680 either to be honest ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:06:17 pm by Toque »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #414 on: April 27, 2013, 01:46:58 pm »
based on some posts around on my current cpu, i dare to say it will be way more then 30watt incrase in power consumption if you raise enough voltage for those clocks if on stock a decent waterblock can keep that 8350 around 30 celsius, bring that up to 5ghz if the chip can be stable different batches  reaches different maximum it almost doubles the core temperature so i dare to say it doubles its power consumption too. without a good way to measure via sensors the current draw i cant write facts for sure. and i think the intel cpu behaves the same power consumption  wont be linear as you incrase the clocks

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »
based on some posts around on my current cpu, i dare to say it will be way more then 30watt incrase in power consumption if you raise enough voltage for those clocks if on stock a decent waterblock can keep that 8350 around 30 celsius, bring that up to 5ghz if the chip can be stable different batches  reaches different maximum it almost doubles the core temperature so i dare to say it doubles its power consumption too. without a good way to measure via sensors the current draw i cant write facts for sure. and i think the intel cpu behaves the same power consumption  wont be linear as you incrase the clocks

Your correct, its shouldnt really be linear as u put it, but I was just doing a rough estimate.. Clocks and juice needed arent linear.. But, I was close, this datasheet tells us intel designed all LGA1155 to have 95w min power req.. http://rhu004.sma-promail.com/SQLImages/kelmscott/Molex/PDF_Images/987650-5651.PDF

So that being said, if u grab a $60 board and a i5-2500, overclock like tha dikkens, she might give up tha ghost.. Im out for awhile..

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:40:51 pm by Toque »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »
illustration is funny for dekstop pc and workstation in that, a logitech g15 keyboard which i highly doubt everyone will use at a workstation or server

Offline l4rtt-1

• Contributor
« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Buy this video card and add it to your setup. And find out more about using hardware supported encoding with your editing software and Handbrake. I think you can get better results and don't care about the money, you have lots of it, so why be a tight-arse. Hook up 2 monitors to it and you have perfect video editing machine that lasts several years. The whole point was to save time so why not try to maximize the performance to get videos uploaded easier and quicker to Youtube.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #418 on: April 27, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
illustration is funny for dekstop pc and workstation in that, a logitech g15 keyboard which i highly doubt everyone will use at a workstation or server

I wouldn't be so surprised, i know quite a few servers that have obscure mice and keyboard attached as the IT people just use what they have sitting around, and being in that field, some of them are gamers, and some have the associated peripherals lying around. Eg server with a razer/logitech gaming mouse or keyboard.

On a somewhat related note, I have seen secretaries and such using gaming keyboards, and asked why, with them responding "they feel better and doesn't give as bad RSI", generally, they aren't flashy but are mechanical keyboards.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: April 27, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »
that g15 arent mechanical. neither of the whole g line of logitech, goddam membranes....

i dont see practical reasons for a high prices mice or keyboard for a server, for daily use i might se but there are better products for that application too

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #420 on: April 27, 2013, 10:19:34 pm »
Buy this video card and add it to your setup. And find out more about using hardware supported encoding with your editing software and Handbrake. I think you can get better results and don't care about the money, you have lots of it, so why be a tight-arse. Hook up 2 monitors to it and you have perfect video editing machine that lasts several years. The whole point was to save time so why not try to maximize the performance to get videos uploaded easier and quicker to Youtube.

I have a GTX650 card, it makes essentially no difference. Yes, I'm using two monitors, that works with the integrated graphics too.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #421 on: April 28, 2013, 12:21:46 am »

I have a GTX650 card, it makes essentially no difference. Yes, I'm using two monitors, that works with the integrated graphics too.
I have yet to watch tha video on your build, looking forward to watching it today

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #422 on: April 28, 2013, 03:03:51 am »
Well, I watched your video, nice system, kinda like tha case ideas there for options etc, in respone to your case comments, back in tha day I used tha old inwin cases, they were most excellent build quailty will double folded 1mm specs steal or whatever they were, solid and clean however those suckers were heavy, inwin still makes great cases but there are so many companys now making better then average to great cases.. Currently im using a Fractal R4, my previous case was a Antec Sonata which I loved and went thru many builds, they dont make tha Sonata's today with tha same quailty of finish, mind u most cases are a cost factor finish these days..

On tha power supply, I found your theorys all wrong given your knowlege on these things, if u think it thru a better power supply will provide u cleaner power, more effecienty (get some of your money back over time, difference between input and output loss, nothing todo with system draw), and a higher life span.. Allthou when u opened that sucker up, I knowtized to things off tha bat, one its definitely built to cost but looks like with quality in mind (thumbs up again for corsair having it built to there awesome spec), caps are either lowest bidder period, or lowest bidder with some subsituding were needed to hopefully lengthin life span.. I have to say thou for tha price, it looks like overall develpoment is top notch, as it looked to me like tha board layout is clean, well done, and minimum component, and not just for cost factor but also reliability.. Im just not sure why u saved a few dollors on this item ;) Something like this sucker is hard to beat all around, there quiet, dependable, 30A 5v rail, etc, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021, a 5 year warrenty, and they can be had for 20-30 cheaper then that asking price, not sure what tha VS series or whatever it was costed u, but not sure that was your best place to save a few dollors..

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #423 on: April 28, 2013, 03:12:25 am »
I'd like to see you build another one Dave and then use them as a Rendering farm cluster:

https://www.sas.upenn.edu/computing/mms/parttime/cluster

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-maya/an-introduction-to-backburner-and-render-farms/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynebolic

I know.....I'm no help, but it seems like you've reached the limits for a single computer.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #424 on: April 28, 2013, 03:28:11 am »
bla blah

Dude, Dave's in Australia.  Check their prices and be careful not to have a heart attack. He had to pick something cheap and available locally.

That PSU is a standardized OEM CWT design (CWT likes to use that dark green tape on transformers), modified at Corsair's request to save more money by using Aishi and Capxon capacitors and using lower AWG wires and so on. 
Most of the components are UNDER the PCB, what you see above is just the through hole stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf