Author Topic: I want to start an online charity will patreon work?  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
Re: I want to start an online charity will patreon work?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 02:55:22 am »
Going back to the OP's question, no using Patreon to funnel money to someone is not a a method to set up a non-profit 501C3 charity. Any so-called charity that isn't even a non-profit corporation per the IRS could be nothing but a scam.
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 01:48:48 pm »
If you use Amazon, then logging into their Smile Amazon home page allows you to pick a charity and then about 0.5% of all your purchases goes to the charity of your choice without costing you any extra over their normal home page log-on.

Never heard of this so now I am checking it out   :-+

https://smile.amazon.com/

I don't trust amazon since twice they have stuck amazon prime on my account when I know for a fact I never signed up for it. They did this to a family member a few years ago so I was extra careful not to accidentally click on it. And normally when you accidentally click on something these companies will fight tooth and nail not to give it back. At amazon they sounded like this was 34th time this cust serv. rep had refunded it today. I know so many people who got amazon prime without agreeing to pay for it or wanted it. I KNOW they do it on purpose hoping you won't notice. They will get sued soon.

I really just wanted to raise money then paypal or write a check to the person and then shut it down. Looks like America has made it way to hard to give people free money that aren't banks or credit cards. The corporations want it for themselves and don't want you "wasting" your possible shopping money. 
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »
This is exactly whats been and is being done.

Looks like America has made it way to hard to give people free money that aren't banks or credit cards. The corporations want it for themselves and don't want you "wasting" your possible shopping money. 
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 03:34:20 am »
Looks like America has made it way to hard to give people free money that aren't banks or credit cards. The corporations want it for themselves and don't want you "wasting" your possible shopping money.
No - it's not that at all.

The reason it is not easy is hidden in this statement:
I really just wanted to raise money then paypal or write a check to the person and then shut it down.

Let's say there are two people standing side by side that say the same thing.  Both look and sound genuine.

One is you, who wants to do the right thing - and the other is a person who just wants to take the money for themselves.

A person walks up with one $10 note to give to one of you.  How do they know who to give it to?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 03:38:27 am »
A person walks up with one $10 note to give to one of you.  How do they know who to give it to?

By their avatar.  I would bet they would give it to my avatar and not me.   :-DD
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: Beamin

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:33 am »
Now, now ....

I'm sure somebody would take you out based on your avatar.  I am also sure that someone would take you out based on a face-to-face meeting with you, personally.

What I'm not sure about is which definition of "take you out" that might be applied in each case.   >:D

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 07:52:20 am »

I really just wanted to raise money then paypal or write a check to the person and then shut it down. Looks like America has made it way to hard to give people free money that aren't banks or credit cards. The corporations want it for themselves and don't want you "wasting" your possible shopping money.

They build a non profit using the proper process, and dont expect an easy ride. You have to remember, none of us know you in person, or what your intentions are. Or just make a paypal account and ask people to give you money.  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:28 pm »
No - it's not that at all.

The reason it is not easy is hidden in this statement:
I really just wanted to raise money then paypal or write a check to the person and then shut it down.

Let's say there are two people standing side by side that say the same thing.  Both look and sound genuine.

One is you, who wants to do the right thing - and the other is a person who just wants to take the money for themselves.

You spend years getting to know them, hire profilers from the FBI and psychologists, order back ground checks and credit reports, kidnap their family and torture them and see if they do the right thing. Then after you have done all that give them $10 with a GPS tracker and video camera on it to make sure it goes to the right cause.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 12:53:42 am »
Or you use:

http://www.guidestar.org/Home.aspx

and/or

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

You do not send money to a bunch of actors that don't even know what planet they are on, but will shill for any could be charity with a great sounding name.

Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

Online Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 02:03:12 am »
This thread is utterly ridiculous.

"I want to start a charity for the victims of all the BS that's going on in the USA right now".... "and I've already registered the domain name".

You have no idea about starting a business nor a charity, nor have you done any research whatsoever.  There is no shortage of people who claim to want to help.  Some of them even think they are actually helping.  But there is almost certainly a charity already in existence that caters to the group you claim to want to help.  What is the purpose of setting up another one?

And if your intention is to aggregate funds and then deliver them to the needy person, then what is your added value?  What is your role?  Why can't the people just give the funds to the needy person themselves?  Are you going to identify the needy persons, advertise for donors/donations, handle all of the logistics and such for free?  That raises red flags... unless you're independently wealthy or you care deeply about this topic, then why work for free?  Isn't your time worth something?  And if you care deeply about the subject, why isn't it better defined than "victims of all the BS that's going on in the USA right now".

Do you live in the USA?  If so, why not get involved with the charities that already help those you deem needy?  And if not, why on earth would you want to start a charity in another country for people in the USA?

This whole thing smells like week old tuna left in the sun. 

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »

"I want to start a charity for the victims of all the BS that's going on in the USA right now".... "and I've already registered the domain name".

You have no idea about starting a business nor a charity, nor have you done any research whatsoever.  There is no shortage of people who claim to want to help.  Some of them even think they are actually helping.  But there is almost certainly a charity already in existence that caters to the group you claim to want to help.  What is the purpose of setting up another one?

And if your intention is to aggregate funds and then deliver them to the needy person, then what is your added value?  What is your role?  Why can't the people just give the funds to the needy person themselves?  Are you going to identify the needy persons, advertise for donors/donations, handle all of the logistics and such for free?  That raises red flags... unless you're independently wealthy or you care deeply about this topic, then why work for free?  Isn't your time worth something?  And if you care deeply about the subject, why isn't it better defined than "victims of all the BS that's going on in the USA right now".

Do you live in the USA?  If so, why not get involved with the charities that already help those you deem needy?  And if not, why on earth would you want to start a charity in another country for people in the USA?

I have no idea how to start a business? Last business I sold I started as a part time sales person went to part owner in two years then to a majority owner in three. Your assumptions are just ignorant. I purposely left out details because I want to be anonymous; if I start a charity I wouldn't even want it, or any of my businesses, linked to an internet forum where I talk about my political views or other such ideas. I have seen what happens when people brag about their businesses tell people what its called then piss people off on the internet.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 12:48:06 am »
A charity isn't a business. Thats the whole point, its non-profit.

The reason non-profit information is public is because their governance needs to be squeaky clean, or should be.

I have no idea how to start a business? Last business I sold I started as a part time sales person went to part owner in two years then to a majority owner in three. Your assumptions are just ignorant. I purposely left out details because I want to be anonymous; if I start a charity I wouldn't even want it, or any of my businesses, linked to an internet forum where I talk about my political views or other such ideas. I have seen what happens when people brag about their businesses tell people what its called then piss people off on the internet.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:51:42 am by cdev »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 01:02:24 am »

What do I offer? I offer my time and the ability to organize groups of people and make sure things get done right and efficiently. I have started many political causes and worked on campaigns for politicians starting when I was 8. I have worked down in Washington at the house and senate (If you ever go there look at the cabinets in each office: one is not a cabinet but an emergency escape hatch; coolest thing I have ever seen and I have always wanted to open one). I had a lady get insurance for life from Blue cross blue shield by getting Obama to pressure them publicly when they cut her insurance when she got cancer. I have met the president to talk about issues, met many senators and reps to propose bills, I have had press meetings on Cable TV and local news that I organized and had several protests that actually made change. That's what I offer.

That post actually got me pissed off then I remembered its only the internet. 

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 01:49:47 am »
Wow,
please tell us more ... 

What do I offer? I offer my time and the ability to organize groups of people and make sure things get done right and efficiently. I have started many political causes and worked on campaigns for politicians starting when I was 8. I have worked down in Washington at the house and senate (If you ever go there look at the cabinets in each office: one is not a cabinet but an emergency escape hatch; coolest thing I have ever seen and I have always wanted to open one). I had a lady get insurance for life from Blue cross blue shield by getting Obama to pressure them publicly when they cut her insurance when she got cancer. I have met the president to talk about issues, met many senators and reps to propose bills, I have had press meetings on Cable TV and local news that I organized and had several protests that actually made change. That's what I offer.

Are you sure this wasnt just one of those OLD filing systems where there is a large metal wheel that looks like the steering wheel on a ship or the door to a safe.. they used to be quite common in government offices.. etc.. used for paper files..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:56:03 am by cdev »

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 04:16:38 am »
Somebody with such credentials, comes here for charity advice?

Incongruous.  (Look it up)

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 06:31:48 am »
Somebody with such credentials, comes here for charity advice?

Incongruous.  (Look it up)

My thought too.

Beamin, starting a charity is really not that difficult. It's just time consuming and you must be VERY organized. Patreon is not a good website to find a charity though, from what I know.

Good luck.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 03:36:16 pm »
A charity isn't a business. Thats the whole point, its non-profit.

The reason non-profit information is public is because their governance needs to be squeaky clean, or should be.

A charity is a corporation, a 501C3 tax exempt business, that has to report to the IRS just as any other business.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/exemption-requirements-section-501c3-organizations

Here's the rules:  https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/application-process

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 08:34:21 pm »
Beamin,

Nolo Press sells books which will tell you how to start your nonproft.

https://store.nolo.com/products/nonprofits

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 10:34:51 pm »
Wow,
please tell us more ... 

Are you sure this wasnt just one of those OLD filing systems where there is a large metal wheel that looks like the steering wheel on a ship or the door to a safe.. they used to be quite common in government offices.. etc.. used for paper files..

No they have plaques on them them say "EMEMGENCY ESCAPE DOOR IS ALARMED DO NOT OPEN" I have pictures on a hard drive that I will find.

I wasn't so much asking for advice on the charity but rather the technical end making sure the site is https: etc etc and the people here seem much more computer savvy than I am. Also people on here have youtube channels with patreons and I was more asking for what they think of it as end users as in "this feature sucks, this is easy, they don't let you do this, they take this cut of the money if you pay this way" etc etc. I found with computers rather than reading every detail it's better to learn from others as you waste time reading about features you will never use. Its like studying for your series 7, probably 250 pages out of 1000 are devoted to municipal bonds and you will never have to deal with them. 

Now to find the picture of the cabinet inside the cabinet.

This is what they look like. I'm still trying to find the picture. See the low cabinet in the back under the picture in the middle? I really don't see how a fat person like chris Christie could fit down them they are really narrow.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:45:45 pm by Beamin »

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:24 am »
I wasn't so much asking for advice on the charity but rather the technical end making sure the site is https: etc etc and the people here seem much more computer savvy than I am. Also people on here have youtube channels with patreons and I was more asking for what they think of it as end users as in "this feature sucks, this is easy, they don't let you do this, they take this cut of the money if you pay this way" etc etc.

Well that got lost among the noise very quickly.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 05:07:12 am »
I wasn't so much asking for advice on the charity but rather the technical end making sure the site is https: etc etc and the people here seem much more computer savvy than I am. Also people on here have youtube channels with patreons and I was more asking for what they think of it as end users as in "this feature sucks, this is easy, they don't let you do this, they take this cut of the money if you pay this way" etc etc.

Well that got lost among the noise very quickly.

I often find it amusing to give a little bit of detail and watch how many assumptions people will make. Their assumptions often reflect their own experience and short falls. But I really don't tolerate negativity. If someone is trying to do something nice; help them; don't be a dick. If you can't be nice then skip over to the next post. No one wants to hear about their nonexistent short comings that someone else imagines you have. My time frame on this one has expired anyways.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 05:12:34 am »
With an approach like that, I could forgive someone if they labelled you a troll.

... especially when assumptions are allowed to run uncorrected.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 12:58:43 pm »
I want to start a charity for the victims of all the BS that's going on in America right now. I have a domain picked out and have a general idea but was wondering how the money end works? Figured there are people here who live off the internet so I think you guys could help and you would also be kind of donating to the charity by helping me out.

I have two requirements:

I want it to be anonymous; people can use their real names if they like but I don't want to take any credit for it. I feel all charity should be like that but that's just me.

I want people to also be able to make one time donations as well. Patreon doesn't seem like it likes that.

Also I want as much money to go to the charity as possible so fees are to be taken into consideration. I would like it to be accountable so people can see its for real and all the money goes 100% to the people. None of this business like the redcross where they have advertising and other BS expenses like paying the board $47832948923 a year or holding the funds (I'm looking at you again red cross and wondering when Haiti is going to get that hurricane money?)

Last statement above - "I would like it to be accountable so people can see its for real and all the money goes 100% to the people."

So informing you on how to make it "REAL" setting up a 501C3 becomes:

"I often find it amusing to give a little bit of detail and watch how many assumptions people will make. Their assumptions often reflect their own experience and short falls. But I really don't tolerate negativity. If someone is trying to do something nice; help them; don't be a dick. If you can't be nice then skip over to the next post. No one wants to hear about their nonexistent short comings that someone else imagines you have. My time frame on this one has expired anyways."

OBTW, I've set up 2 commercial businesses prior to retiring. I run part of a nation non-profit and do thousands of hours of community service work per year. I do not draw a salary. I do interface with town, county, state and national veteran and political members on a daily basis and not once have I insulted the very people trying to help me like you did in this thread. I hope you learn to take advice as you grew older and mature.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:05 pm »
I want to start a charity for the victims of all the BS that's going on in America right now. I have a domain picked out and have a general idea but was wondering how the money end works? Figured there are people here who live off the internet so I think you guys could help and you would also be kind of donating to the charity by helping me out.

I have two requirements:

I want it to be anonymous; people can use their real names if they like but I don't want to take any credit for it. I feel all charity should be like that but that's just me.

I want people to also be able to make one time donations as well. Patreon doesn't seem like it likes that.

Also I want as much money to go to the charity as possible so fees are to be taken into consideration. I would like it to be accountable so people can see its for real and all the money goes 100% to the people. None of this business like the redcross where they have advertising and other BS expenses like paying the board $47832948923 a year or holding the funds (I'm looking at you again red cross and wondering when Haiti is going to get that hurricane money?)

Last statement above - "I would like it to be accountable so people can see its for real and all the money goes 100% to the people."

So informing you on how to make it "REAL" setting up a 501C3 becomes:

"I often find it amusing to give a little bit of detail and watch how many assumptions people will make. Their assumptions often reflect their own experience and short falls. But I really don't tolerate negativity. If someone is trying to do something nice; help them; don't be a dick. If you can't be nice then skip over to the next post. No one wants to hear about their nonexistent short comings that someone else imagines you have. My time frame on this one has expired anyways."

OBTW, I've set up 2 commercial businesses prior to retiring. I run part of a nation non-profit and do thousands of hours of community service work per year. I do not draw a salary. I do interface with town, county, state and national veteran and political members on a daily basis and not once have I insulted the very people trying to help me like you did in this thread. I hope you learn to take advice as you grew older and mature.

Good for you. If you want to engage in a "yeah well I did that too only I have done it 3 times and bla bla bla" better then thou contest you are not going to find it. Why do people say things like "I hope... as you grow older and more mature". No you don't, you want to start an argument over the internet. No one can validate either of our credentials and nor should they waste their time trying. Speaking of advice what have you offered? A copy and paste link from the first result on google? Thanks I didn't think of using google or clicking on the first link that came up. I could never imagine being so insecure I have to prop myself up by comparing myself to random people on the internet. Takes a bit more for me to feel some sense of accomplishment. It sounds like you are bragging about how you are retired and spend thousands of hours for free. Most people do good things for the sake of doing good things not so they can tell other people about how charitable they are. Well some do but they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also I never doubted you or even asked what your back ground was: you haven't provided anything that wasn't known. And honestly I don't really care I have never even heard of you up until this post.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 08:24:05 pm »
Unbelievable.  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf