Author Topic: Idiot ebay seller  (Read 2821 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Idiot ebay seller
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:11:16 am »
I just received some memory chips from an ebay seller. I have been looking for these for a long time and some finally showed up on ebay. The idiot packaged these TSOP chips down to a thin piece of corrugated cardboard and put them inside a normal plastic ziplock bag. This was then just placed inside a standard paper/bubble pack envelope and mailed to me. I really don't feel like desoldering the bad chips in my monitor and resolder these in place, which will take a couple of hours at least, only to find out they have been damaged.

I am waiting a response from the seller to see what he has to say about his stupidity. His policy is that the buyer ays shipping back on returned items. I say no way when he would obviously be the cause of any DOA part.

What do you people think?

P.S.
As I was posting this he replied
"If they are not working, I will resend another or refund you."

Now do I spend the 2 or more hours doing the chip swap and risk damaging the circuitboard for nothing?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:13:32 am by Lightages »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Idiot ebay seller
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:18 am »
Invest in a hot-air station and the time required goes down to 5 minutes with very little risk of breaking the circuit board. OTOH the chips where probably not stored in an ESD safe container by the seller so you are right to fear the chips may not work.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

duskglow

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:13 am »

This means he has more.  I would educate him on the proper way to pack and handle the chips, and demand an exchange with chips that were packed properly.  On the other hand, you don't know if they're sitting there right now in a bunch of saran wrap on top of a CRT...  But at least you'd have a better chance if they're not packed that way in transit...

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:35:28 am »
It's your call, but I've never had ICs packaged in non-ideal manner ever fail. Not even after a long elapsed time.
Had them in much worse conditions as well. The cardboard is a good static insulator. Up to you though.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 08:30:35 am »
I just received some memory chips from an ebay seller. I have been looking for these for a long time and some finally showed up on ebay. The idiot packaged these TSOP chips down to a thin piece of corrugated cardboard and put them inside a normal plastic ziplock bag. This was then just placed inside a standard paper/bubble pack envelope and mailed to me. I really don't feel like desoldering the bad chips in my monitor and resolder these in place, which will take a couple of hours at least, only to find out they have been damaged.

I am waiting a response from the seller to see what he has to say about his stupidity. His policy is that the buyer ays shipping back on returned items. I say no way when he would obviously be the cause of any DOA part.

What do you people think?

P.S.
As I was posting this he replied

Now do I spend the 2 or more hours doing the chip swap and risk damaging the circuitboard for nothing?

I wouldn't be concerned about anything other than mechanical pin damage.
People who get all anal about ESD tend to forget what the D stands for. For an individual component, there isn't enough capacitance to ground for any significant discharge current to flow.
Just putting a chip in insulating, static-y material isn't going to do anything, as when you touch it, the insulation means there won't be any current flow.

In the early days of 4000 CMOS, it was common to see chips in poystyrene foam covered in foil in the misguided belief that the foil would protect against static . This is far worse than just bare polystyrene, as the foil provides a low-impedance discharge target, and significant capacitance to charge/discharge to.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 10:04:56 am »
The chips are fine unless you live in a desert and the chips are HEMTs or something.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf