Author Topic: Big company Intellectual Property concerns on the forum  (Read 21111 times)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Big company Intellectual Property concerns on the forum
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
We're talking about "digital phosphor" (DPO), wildly flaunted as the greatest thing since sliced bread by its creator. :)
well known fact that sliced bread goes stale, moldy and crufty much quicker than regular bread .

DPO is junk. Take one of the Tek 7xx series and flick DPO on. the scope becomes slow as molasses.... it's dead time goes through the roof
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline FJV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:31 pm »
I wouldn't blindly follow the advice given on this forum without knowing exactly it's worth.

I would look for advice of a professional lawyer in the relevant field.

People I know that have studied law that used to give advice for free have had that advice routinely ignored, because some guy in the pub or on the internet that sounded pretty knowledgeable gave different advice.

Needless to say that caused a lot of problems for the guy following the wrong advice.

I wouldn't like to make the same mistake.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »
I just googled for DPO and got a massive dose of deja-vu radiation: I noticed the TDS3000C series scope is still sold, is this the same as the TDS3034 that my workplace has? If so, that's crazy. That thing was so slow... and the memory length terrible... I cannot believe they still sell a scope with only 10kpoints data?

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 10:23:56 pm »
It doesn't. In fact it can only make it worse for them. Lawyers don't understand this though.
Or maybe they do. Making it worse is even more work and dollars for the Lawyers.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:51 pm »
I just googled for DPO and got a massive dose of deja-vu radiation: I noticed the TDS3000C series scope is still sold, is this the same as the TDS3034 that my workplace has? If so, that's crazy. That thing was so slow... and the memory length terrible... I cannot believe they still sell a scope with only 10kpoints data?

Yep, that's Tektronix for you.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:43 pm »
I wouldn't blindly follow the advice given on this forum without knowing exactly it's worth.

I'm not following anyone's advice, I followed my own.

I would look for advice of a professional lawyer in the relevant field.

Why?
To anyone with half a clue about anything it was entirely clear that they didn't have a leg to stand on.
Jumping right into getting paid advice from a lawyer when you haven't been threatened with anything is just silly, and one the problems with modern society.
I knew it was BS and simply stood up to them and politely said no, and they backed down without a fight. Then they admitted it wasn't even a fight to begin with.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:52 am »
Good to hear it ended well.  8)

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:08 am »

It's basically the same, but a bit faster and with a USB port in place of the floppy drive.

It's laughably overpriced for its spec, but I used a 3034B daily for many years and it was always a reliable, trustworthy and highly usable piece of kit. I'm not at all surprised that there's still demand for it, especially in cases where the cost of learning, supporting and testing a new scope is significant. Like, say, the Agilent 34401 DMM... if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:30 am »
I bet it's Salae.. and they are referring to the discussion of the cheap Chinese copies.

If I am right, then I think they are better off leaving well enough alone.  I have a Salae Logic unit and I really like it.  It's priced right, made very well and it works great.  I can't imagine trying to save a few bucks on a Chinese knock off.  As I remember, when someone talked about the Chinese copy and it's price, he was quite roundly criticized and the unit was panned around here.

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 12:25:45 pm »
I bet it's Salae.. and they are referring to the discussion of the cheap Chinese copies.

If I am right, then I think they are better off leaving well enough alone.  I have a Salae Logic unit and I really like it.  It's priced right, made very well and it works great.  I can't imagine trying to save a few bucks on a Chinese knock off.  As I remember, when someone talked about the Chinese copy and it's price, he was quite roundly criticized and the unit was panned around here.
Big company, and "a competing Chinese product", so I doubt it...

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:39 pm »
I'm not following anyone's advice, I followed my own.

And I thought that when you said 'discuss' you were soliciting for ideas.

Anyway, if you can't give the company name, how about the MD5 hash?  It is non reversible.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2014, 04:16:04 pm »
I would bet it's Owon, due to the fact they named their new line the "TDS Series." Siglent SDS2k is possible as well, due to the SPO and the length of which the discussion has gone on.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline JoeyP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2014, 06:00:30 pm »

Big company, and "a competing Chinese product", so I doubt it...

Ya, and the cat's been out of the bag for so long with Saleae and USBee that it would be quite pointless to try to undo it now anyway. Ebay is absolutely littered with their clones even though it is extremely easy to get eBay to delete a listing over any alleged IP infringement (takes a single email to have a listing removed within hours), yet they haven't even bothered to do that. Can't imagine they'd try something like this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf